Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Major League Soccer

Read 106337 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Major League Soccer
      Reply #46: Apr 24, 2015 02:39:49 am
      Whats the go with Portland Timbers?

Everytime  I flick channels they seem to have full capacity stadium and a good atmosphere.

Do they do that timber chopping thing at every home game?
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #47: Apr 24, 2015 02:55:01 am
      Whats the go with Portland Timbers?

Everytime  I flick channels they seem to have full capacity stadium and a good atmosphere.

Do they do that timber chopping thing at every home game?

Yes, they saw off a piece of log every time a goal is scored. They probably have one of the best atmospheres in the MLS.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #48: Apr 24, 2015 02:57:54 am
      Dallas 3-2 Toronto
      One of the weirdest things I've seen, that's for sure. Dallas jumped out to a 3-0 lead, then the game is halted in the 41st minute or so and delayed for about 3 hours due to weather. Giovinco scored twice within six minutes, but it wasn't enough.

Toronto seems to be jinxed haha. Weird schedule, even weirder games, combining for a poor start to the season, although their squad seems to have potential.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #49: Apr 24, 2015 05:02:41 am
      Yes, they saw off a piece of log every time a goal is scored. They probably have one of the best atmospheres in the MLS.

Haha fair play, that's definitely different :lmao:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #50: Apr 24, 2015 06:01:10 am

Yeah it looks impressive every time they show clips of the MLS.

Thought it was at the start of every game only.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #51: Apr 24, 2015 11:02:31 am
      Yeah it looks impressive every time they show clips of the MLS.

Thought it was at the start of every game only.

I believe that it's after a goal and the goal scorer gets the keep the slice of timber

:D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #52: Apr 24, 2015 11:09:17 am
      I believe that it's after a goal and the goal scorer gets the keep the slice of timber

Score a goal, get wood.  Think we've sorted out Flanno's next club, when he eventually moves on or, pun intended, semi-retires.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #53: Apr 24, 2015 03:15:27 pm
      Toronto seems to be jinxed haha. Weird schedule, even weirder games, combining for a poor start to the season, although their squad seems to have potential.

I'm not sure the squad is all that great though. They have three big players in Bradley, Giovinco and Altidore, albeit slightly out of form, but the rest of the team isn't great. They have little cohesion and the coaching has been poor since the team formed.

Plus, while MLS does tend to have a lot of journeymen on each team, Toronto seems to have to the low end of the spectrum. I think that's the one thing that makes LA manager Bruce Arena the best in the league: He recognizes the overall lack of quality in the league but is astute at picking up guys who are solid enough to form a cohesive unit play a supporting role to his star players.

Yep, the goalscorer gets to keep the slice of wood as a gift from "Timber Joey." :laugh:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #54: Apr 24, 2015 04:59:09 pm
      I'm not sure the squad is all that great though. They have three big players in Bradley, Giovinco and Altidore, albeit slightly out of form, but the rest of the team isn't great. They have little cohesion and the coaching has been poor since the team formed.

Plus, while MLS does tend to have a lot of journeymen on each team, Toronto seems to have to the low end of the spectrum. I think that's the one thing that makes LA manager Bruce Arena the best in the league: He recognizes the overall lack of quality in the league but is astute at picking up guys who are solid enough to form a cohesive unit play a supporting role to his star players.

You certainly know far more than I do, but when I look at the spine Bradley - Giovinco - Altidore, I think it must be a very strong team for that level! But obviously that is never going to be enough if the rest of the team is crap
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #55: Apr 27, 2015 12:18:38 am

That's mental.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #56: Apr 27, 2015 04:30:39 am
      MLS Week Eight

Chicago 1-0 New York City
      Three wins on the bounce for the Fire, NYC now winless in their last 6. It looks like the pieces are finally falling into place for Chicago and this team can be decent, at least at home. Accam is an exciting player. That said, Chicago was up a man for nearly 70 minutes and still only won 1-0. New York City were crap with 11 too, so maybe a slight bit of disappointment for Chicago that they couldn't add to their GD.

Colorado 1-1 Dallas
      Decent match. Blas Perez got stupidly and needlessly sent off which enabled Colorado to grab an equalizer in the second half.

Columbus 4-1 Philadelphia
      Wooosh. Great win for Columbus, obviously! 3-0 at half, took their foot off a slight bit to allow Philly a goal, but regained it 4-1. Never in doubt, really, and it looks like Columbus is starting to find some kind of form: Back-to-back wins, outscoring the opposition 7-1 in the last two matches.

New England 4-0 Salt Lake
      Good Lord! Massive win for New England. I'm not sure I've seen a Salt Lake side get blown out like that in years. The worst part for them is that it really could have been a 6-0 or 7-0 scoreline if not for their backup keeper making some top saves.

Houston 4-4 Kansas City
      The fourth goal-heavy result of Saturday's fixtures, and it was a real thriller. Krisztian Nemeth put Kansas City up 0-1 in the first two minutes. Then it's 1-1, 2-1 Houston at half, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3 in the 80th minute. Houston goes up 4-3 in the 83rd, Kansas City equalize on a screamer in the 94th minute. Brilliant game.

Vancouver 1-2 DC
      Pedro Morales scored a lovely goal in the second minute for Vancouver, but DC grab the equalizer inside 10 minutes. Once Laba got sent off for a second yellow, DC always looked to be the winner. Chris Rolfe, who's easily one of my favorite MLS players from his time with Chicago, scored on a nice volley.

New York Red Bulls 1-1 Los Angeles
      The result was about what I expected, but I didn't expect the second half to be as bland as it was. RBNY are still the only unbeaten team in the league, which is impressive. An 18-year-old kid scored for LA, officially confirming my status as an old man :laugh:

Orlando 0-2 Toronto
      Hey there Toronto. Jozy Altidore at the double. That's 4 goals for him in 5 matches. He scored 3 goals in 50 at Sunderland! hahaha Orlando has yet to win a match at home -- which is a damn shame because their support is terrific. They deserve better in their own ground.

Seattle 1-0 Portland
      The only legit derby in MLS. My favorite fixture every year because both teams and fans genuinely dislike it each other. It's brilliant. So of course, it was a disappointing match :laugh: Boring, cagey, not really that many hard fouls either. Dempsey scored the ugly winner on what was a slight howler.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #57: Apr 27, 2015 01:48:53 pm
      Vancouver 1-2 DC
      Pedro Morales scored a lovely goal in the second minute for Vancouver, but DC grab the equalizer inside 10 minutes. Once Laba got sent off for a second yellow, DC always looked to be the winner. Chris Rolfe, who's easily one of my favorite MLS players from his time with Chicago, scored on a nice volley.

I'll start a campaign for Flamengo to sign Pedro Morales! Do you have any idea how much he makes in the MLS? :D

Orlando 0-2 Toronto
      Hey there Toronto. Jozy Altidore at the double. That's 4 goals for him in 5 matches. He scored 3 goals in 50 at Sunderland! hahaha Orlando has yet to win a match at home -- which is a damn shame because their support is terrific. They deserve better in their own ground.

That was on tv here so I watched parts of the game. The 2nd goal came from a terrific long pass, Jozy almost missed it but scored the goal in the end. Great first touch too.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #58: Apr 27, 2015 03:27:23 pm
      I'll start a campaign for Flamengo to sign Pedro Morales! Do you have any idea how much he makes in the MLS? :D

That was on tv here so I watched parts of the game. The 2nd goal came from a terrific long pass, Jozy almost missed it but scored the goal in the end. Great first touch too.

Yes I do actually! According to the MLS Players Union, Morales's base salary is $1.2 million a season with incentives and add-ons guaranteeing him $1.4 million.

Yeah Altidore's first touch was brilliant, but the touch for the goal was clumsy and complete luck.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Apr 27, 2015 04:48:29 pm
      Yes I do actually! According to the MLS Players Union, Morales's base salary is $1.2 million a season with incentives and add-ons guaranteeing him $1.4 million.

Hmm.. with the current exchange rate (which has been floating upwards a lot recently, but thankfully started going down again) of 2.9064 reais per dollar, this is just over R$4M a year or R$340k per month. That's certainly doable, Flamengo have paid more for some terrible players in the past :D My boss at the Organising Committee is part of the Flamengo board, I'll email him about Morales :P
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #60: Apr 27, 2015 06:11:16 pm
      Hmm.. with the current exchange rate (which has been floating upwards a lot recently, but thankfully started going down again) of 2.9064 reais per dollar, this is just over R$4M a year or R$340k per month. That's certainly doable, Flamengo have paid more for some terrible players in the past :D My boss at the Organising Committee is part of the Flamengo board, I'll email him about Morales :P

That would be hilarious if you pull that off :laugh:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #61: Apr 29, 2015 06:31:49 pm
      Gonna be watching the Concacaf Champions League final tonight. I dislike Mexicans in football (national team and clubs in general) but I don't really want Montreal to win it to be honest.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #62: Apr 29, 2015 06:43:19 pm
      Gonna be watching the Concacaf Champions League final tonight. I dislike Mexicans in football (national team and clubs in general) but I don't really want Montreal to win it to be honest.

In the exact same boat. Dislike seeing Liga MX dominate the competition, but Montreal are complete garbage and would easily be the most unworthy winners ever.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #63: Apr 30, 2015 01:35:46 am
      In the exact same boat. Dislike seeing Liga MX dominate the competition, but Montreal are complete garbage and would easily be the most unworthy winners ever.

And how much does Ignacio Piatti make?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #64: Apr 30, 2015 02:53:16 am
      Montreal's defence is a joke. It was clear from the beginning that if America could sustain a certain level of pressure on them, they would crack, and thats exactly what has happened. America are not great either - I've seen them play much better football in the Libertadores before, although their Argentine striker did score some very good goals
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #65: Apr 30, 2015 07:06:09 pm
      And how much does Ignacio Piatti make?

$387,500 per season. Very affordable.

Montreal's defence is a joke. It was clear from the beginning that if America could sustain a certain level of pressure on them, they would crack, and thats exactly what has happened. America are not great either - I've seen them play much better football in the Libertadores before, although their Argentine striker did score some very good goals

Bendetto was outstanding. Ultimately, this is the right result. Montreal is easily the worst side in MLS and they would have been the most undeserving winners of CCL.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #66: May 04, 2015 03:52:18 am
      MLS Week 9
      New York Red Bulls 1-1 Colorado
      Far from an ideal result for RBNY, but a pretty damn good one for the Rapids, who probably should have put their two 1v1s with the keeper away!

Houston 1-4 Dallas
      Have a game, Dallas. Fabian Castillo was simply superb in a game that was a no contest. Dallas is on quite a roll to start the season, a few bad results aside.

Salt Lake 1-1 San Jose
      Boy, have Salt Lake been a bit sh*t this season! Yes, they're missing Joao Plata, but they should still be beating a side like San Jose, especially at home at Rio Tinto. That said, Wondolowski's goal was clearly offside for the opener, and then Bernardez scored a FANTASTIC own goal. Hell of a finish :laugh:

Philadelphia 0-1 Toronto
      Giovinco, what a player! Wins a foul 35 yards and scores on a sublime free kick. I guess that's why Toronto are paying him $7m a season!

DC 2-0 Columbus
      Might be just me, but I thought this was a huge win for DC. Coming into this season, Columbus was considered a favorite in the Eastern Conference but they haven't quite lived up to that hype. Still a good side, though. The throughball from Rolfe to Espindola on the opener was perfect.

New England 2-1 New York Red Bulls
      For some bizarre reason, both sides were wearing their away kits. Anyway, big win for New England. It's been something of a renaissance year for Charlie Davies -- not sure if you remember him or not, but a few months before the 2010 World Cup, he was a passenger in a near fatal car accident that nearly cost him his life, let alone his career. Great to see him back at his best.

Los Angeles 1-1 Colorado
      See previous Colorado game haha. Same basic thing, awful result for LA, but a great one for the Rapids. This time, they actually finished a 1v1 through Gabriel Torres. LA would equalize in the second half, but were pretty meh for most of the game.

Portland 0-0 Vancouver
      Yay another scoreless draw! My boy Darlington Nagbe missed a penalty, hitting the post. The good news for Portland though is the return of Diego Valeri. They should start looking quite a bit better with him back from an ACL tear.

Kansas City 1-0 Chicago
      Something of a sh*t show from both sides. Some questionable calls, but there's no disputing how awful Chicago's offside awareness was: 8 times. Nagamura with a nice header on a peach of a cross from Anibaba to make it the right result in the end. Chicago's supporting three (Accam, Maloney and Shipp) look good, but they're a black hole at striker no matter who they put in.

New York City 1-3 Seattle
      Welp, when you have one of the worst backlines in the league come against the league's best strike force in Martins and Dempsey, this result was always on the cards. NYC is now winless in SEVEN-straight matches. Unfortunately for them, Fat Frank can't patch over all of their deficiencies.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #67: May 04, 2015 04:25:04 pm
      How ridiculous is that Yankee Stadium pitch?

Not only is it ludicrously narrow, it appears to be seriously slippery as well. Players falling down all over the place.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #68: May 04, 2015 10:59:49 pm
      How ridiculous is that Yankee Stadium pitch?

Not only is it ludicrously narrow, it appears to be seriously slippery as well. Players falling down all over the place.

It's an awful scenario all the way around. NYC claims it's 70 yards wide by 110 yards long (the minimum requirements per FIFA), but it looks much shorter and narrower than that.

Quick Reply