Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of The Match

Mignolet
      18 (24.3%)
      Johnson
      7 (9.5%)
      Skrtel
      3 (4.1%)
      Lovren
      3 (4.1%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Can
      3 (4.1%)
      Henderson
      11 (14.9%)
      Sterling
      4 (5.4%)
      Lallana
      1 (1.4%)
      Sturridge
      1 (1.4%)
      Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      K Touré
      21 (28.4%)
      Balotelli
      2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Liverpool 0:0 Blackburn Rovers. In game & and post match debate.

Read 33838 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Re: Liverpool 0:0 Blackburn Rovers. In game & and post match debate.
      Reply #391: Mar 08, 2015 06:06:05 pm
      Sterling is really taking the piss at the moment, an abject display - he played Shaun Wright Phillips today, just just running and doing nothing with the ball, dilly dallying and making it easy for the defenders.

I find it insulting the way he is performing and holding the club to ransom over ridiculous contract demands. It would be laughable if it wasn't happening to us.
      Le Gargoyle
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 61 posts |
      Reply #392: Mar 08, 2015 06:07:21 pm
      That was very poor. Struggling for MOTM, possibly Migs for the save in the second half but otherwise..?

Hacked off with the performance. Off work tomorrow so out with home brew it is then.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6714 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #393: Mar 08, 2015 06:09:35 pm
      Couldn't find a MOTM. No one deserved it.

Please don't say the word Outstanding, Brendan!
      DanMann

• 5,726 posts | 880 
      Reply #394: Mar 08, 2015 06:10:41 pm
      You can win games without picking up injuries, they don't go hand in hand.

I think it affected the players though. A lot of hard knocks and rough play today. The lads don't tend to like that fight. We see it time and time again.

I'm actually relieved that the other players are doing okay.. and hopefully Skrtel too.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #395: Mar 08, 2015 06:11:00 pm
      Looked like a standard FA Cup tie against a lower division team to be fair. You knew they'd defend for the full 90 and shoot for a replay. We were off the pace but nothing more.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #396: Mar 08, 2015 06:12:40 pm
      Well that was a barrel laughs, wasn't it?

Good strong team. No excuses surely?

I guess The Big Book of Excuses is being read now.

On the plus side: We are in the draw for the Semi Finals!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #397: Mar 08, 2015 06:12:45 pm
      Game too far today, remember how many games we've played last 4/5 weeks

So will we play Swansea on the Monday Blackburn Wed or will the Swansea game be moved?

That could be a bloody horrible week, gameswise. It was a really really poor performance today from everyone bar the defence who I thought were ok. Midfield and attack were awful though, but at least we've gotten our dodgy game out of the way, hopefully!
      RedRepublican
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #398: Mar 08, 2015 06:18:07 pm
      From early on reminded me of the Bolton tie at home. A frustrating day.

But I'm confident the quality will show at their place in the replay. Not too worried if that was our 'bad day at the office' out of the way. We are still in the cup and I expect we'll give a better performance next time out.

YNWA

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #399: Mar 08, 2015 06:20:48 pm
      Really weird performance. Yes Blackburn were we well organised but there was a serious lack of intensity and will to win. I'm just confused that's all. Happy to give the guys a break but that performance was  not a team wanting trophies.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #400: Mar 08, 2015 06:23:17 pm
      It was the same as the Bolton tie
       they defended very well.
       it should be a different story at their home ground
       they have to come out a bit more
       2nd half was better  , but not good enough
      preferably there will be a   draw between the scun and the arse tomorrow

YNWA
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #401: Mar 08, 2015 06:25:03 pm
      Really weird performance. Yes Blackburn were we well organised but there was a serious lack of intensity and will to win. I'm just confused that's all. Happy to give the guys a break but that performance was  not a team wanting trophies.

Could be tiredness
      20 games since Christmas - about 1 game every 3.5 days
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #402: Mar 08, 2015 06:25:53 pm
      Not sure who to give man of the match to to be honest. The only players I can think of that didn't do much wrong  were Mignolet and Henderson(?). The defence rushed towards the ball too often, the attackers weren't clinical enough and Can seemed to have a bit of an off day. At least we know where the team went wrong today and can improve upon it for our next game which I am certain we will do.

I think it affected the players though. A lot of hard knocks and rough play today. The lads don't tend to like that fight. We see it time and time again.

I'm actually relieved that the other players are doing okay.. and hopefully Skrtel too.

A couple of our lads could do with muscling up a little, Lallana and Markovic in particular, they lose out in battles way too often. I really hope Skrtel recovers in time for next week. Toure did OK in his place though but doesn't quite have the commanding presence that Skrtel has.

Edit: I'm just glad that performance came in a game where a replay is possible and not in a league game where we lose ground on the top 4.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #403: Mar 08, 2015 06:35:29 pm
      So sad at witnessing that inept display, we were yards to slow with all our movements and passing. It was a shock to see Skrtel get stretchered off so early,but on reflection we have a history of Blackburn seriously damaging Liverpool players. Star man for me was Toure  as well as defending he came close to  scoring.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #404: Mar 08, 2015 06:35:40 pm
      Clean Sheet!

Outstanding!

Thought the injuries unbalanced the team a lot and we misfired as a result.
      Still in the pot though, although scheduling is going to be a 'mare.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #405: Mar 08, 2015 06:41:52 pm
      Bit pissed off with that performance in all honesty. There is no one, NO ONE, I can give MOTM to after that.

No intensity, no drive and no ambition to take the initiative from anyone. They should be very disappointed with their work today.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Liverpool vs Blackburn Rovers. FA Cup 6th Rd. Live match thread.
      Reply #406: Mar 08, 2015 06:46:24 pm
      Credit again to Blackburn, they were the better team for parts of the first half and defended very well in the second half, they've got their replay at Ewood Park, we'll need to be a lot better in front of goal down there.

Man of the match for us, I'd have to say Coutinho, he was always probing for an opening.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #407: Mar 08, 2015 06:50:19 pm
      Really awful game, no intensity in our attack. Games like these prove the drawbacks of the 3-4-3, whatever few chances you get you have to take them! Luckily we've had some wonder strikes in recent weeks but I seriously can't remember a shot on target from us and barring a class save from Mignolet we would have been out. In particular I thought Sterling was poor going forward, would get the ball-go forward about 5 yards then cut inside, but rather than carry on a run pass either sideways or backwards, no intensity to press forward, although he was good defensively at times.

Mignolet-7
      Johnson-6
      Lovren-6
      Markovic-6
      Henderson-7
      Can-7
      Sterling-6
      Lallana-6
      Coutinho-6
      Sturridge-6

Toure-7
      Balotelli-5

CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #408: Mar 08, 2015 07:26:11 pm
      Three home games against Championship sides this season and we've drawn them all. On the positive side, at least we can play that badly and not lose. Six months ago we'd have lost this game but we've become much more resilient of late.
      Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #409: Mar 08, 2015 07:29:04 pm
      I'll take a slightly different slant to most in here. All credit to Blackburn, I thought they were absolutely fantastic, that was a consummate defensive performance and they were also happy enough to throw a few forward on the break for the first hour when they won it back. I ought their two centre-halves were excellent and the boy at fullback Conway had a terrific game (albeit a physical one).

There has been a lot of criticism of our attacking play and it was lacking in the final third  it it wasn't for want of trying, there was movement and tempo final ball wasn't up to it and again, I thought they defended superbly. We would have beaten plenty of premier league sides out there today.

Obviously we would all rather be through BUT it if you can't score then it's imperative you keep clean sheets and we have (in the last few months) finally become a side who does that. No panic, no drama and no finger pointing from me. We're in the draw and hopefully the mancs and gooners go to a replay with a ton of red cards and injuries

Just a couple of observations from me. I thought we missed wee Joe Allen today, we didn't compete so well for 2nd balls in the first half especially and that is something (like Lucas) that he does very well. Also, just a note on Can, I know many of you are desperate to see him in the middle of the park . Today was a game when we could have done with a couple of those barnstorming runs of his BUT we didn't see them. It's worth remembering that it is FAR easier to make that sort of play from the defensive position he has been occupying as a centre half.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #410: Mar 08, 2015 07:55:57 pm
      Unfortunately, if teams didnt know already, that there is a template for all teams, both good and bad, of how to set up against the mighty reds. We dominate, but struggle to break down tight well marshalled defenses and appear to be susceptible to the counter at times.

Would hate to see too many of our 10 remaining PL matches go like that one did today - can see utd trying that - SCUM. Hopefully the 8 days before our next match helps somewhat. Need to work through it in training sessions, which have been in short supply this season.

Balo was effective when he came on, but WHAT THE F**k is that 40 yard shot he keeps trying? For someone who clearly thinks he can score them, he leans back everytime and doesnt even get close. Made us look desperate and albeit 10mins remaining, we were never scoring after that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #411: Mar 08, 2015 07:59:25 pm
      Unfortunately, if teams didnt know already, that there is a template for all teams, both good and bad, of how to set up against the mighty reds. We dominate, but struggle to break down tight well marshalled defenses and appear to be susceptible to the counter at times.

Would hate to see too many of our 10 remaining PL matches go like that one did today - can see utd trying that - SCUM. Hopefully the 8 days before our next match helps somewhat. Need to work through it in training sessions, which have been in short supply this season.

Balo was effective when he came on, but WHAT THE F**k is that 40 yard shot he keeps trying? For someone who clearly thinks he can score them, he leans back everytime and doesnt even get close. Made us look desperate and albeit 10mins remaining, we were never scoring after that.

I'd rather go along with the line that we failed to score due to a lack of intensity and urgency with the team. That's where the large portion of that result came from.

I'm sorry but it's got nothing to do with failing to break them down as Burnley proved on Tuesday that you can be well organised but still lose to us.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #412: Mar 08, 2015 08:07:41 pm
      That was shockingly boring and awful. There was hardly any "teamwork" or cohesion whatsoever. It was football played by a team mostly of individuals...and bad ones at that.

Some people on here have said it was perhaps down to tiredness and a game too far. What utter nonsense. We're Liverpool Football Club FFS. We're supposed to be competing on all fronts - not just concentrating on a hand-out Champion's League place.

I don't usually agree with a lot of what Jan Molby says about us but I do on this occasion regarding his recent analysis of Sturridge.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #413: Mar 08, 2015 08:08:33 pm
      Looked like our run of games finally caught up with us. Players just seemed to lack that but on of intensity which was seen in the sloppy passing and poor decision making throughout the match.
      Coutinho was in and out of the match as was Lallana and Markovic is still sh*t scared to take on a player.
      Maybe the knock to Skyrtel phased a few of the players in the first half as he was lying there motionless for quite a while.

Can has lots of attributes but at the moment he is better at the back than midfield.

As for future Captain thank F**k Blackburn decided to sit back in the second half as he was back to his poor form from earlier in the season.

Never easy playing against a side who decides to park the bus and it did nothing to counteract the belief that we still lack that bit of creativity from midfield. No doubt we will do them at their ground as they will have to come out and play.

Quick Reply