Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Clusters of 5.

Read 16964 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Clusters of 5.
      Reply #69: Dec 31, 2014 11:32:43 am
      In our last five games - we have amassed 8 points.

Those above us in the league [last five games]: * Chelsea = 10 pts: * Man City = 13 pts: * Man Utd = 11 pts: Southampton = 7 pts: Arsenal = 10 pts: West Ham = 7 pts: * Spurs = 11 pts.

* denotes "unbeaten".
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #70: Dec 31, 2014 11:43:43 am
      Wasn't sure where to post this, so I decided to just stick it in here. We have won 2 in a row, 3 of our last 4, and we're unbeaten in 4. We have a very winnable stretch of games coming up: Leicester, Wimbledon, Sunderland, and Villa. Win all 4 of these games and we will be into the last 16 of the FA Cup, bearing down on 4th place in the league, into the knockout rounds of the Europa League, and preparing for a League Cup semifinal against Chelsea. Not all bad when you look at it like that :)

There is even an added bonus for us with the semifinal draw against Chelsea -- they play City in a top of the table clash 4 days after we meet them in the 2nd leg. They will prioritize the league title charge over the League Cup and will likely rest key players like Costa, Hazard, Oscar, Cesc, and Matic. If we can keep it at 0-0 in the first leg then we will have a great opportunity to beat a weakened side in the 2nd leg and book our place in the final!! Exciting times coming up in the next 4 weeks!!

Oh, and there is a little matter of Sturridge returning to fitness that could help us as well :)

Those above us in the league [last five games]: * Chelsea = 10 pts: * Man City = 13 pts: * Man Utd = 11 pts: Southampton = 7 pts: Arsenal = 10 pts: West Ham = 7 pts: * Spurs = 11 pts.

* denotes "unbeaten".
      Both very different views of form.
      I suppose it really is just how you want to look at it, I prefer to clear the slate and start again since we started playing well.

The end tally will always be the same though.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #71: Dec 31, 2014 11:47:59 am

* denotes "unbeaten".

Sobering thought BBB.

I'm all for optimism but this does highlight that there's an awful lot of premature articulation around regarding our recovery.

We've not yet turned any corners.

We might (possibly) have arrested the slide but we've a lot of work still to do.

I don't say this out of negativity - I just think there's a real danger of complacency creeping in because we've won a few games.

Here's to Leicester and 3 wins in a row - that's the only kind of cluster that really matters.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #72: Dec 31, 2014 11:49:19 am
      Next five games could very well define our season.

Burnley (A)
      Swansea (H)
      Leicester (H)
      Sunderland (A)
      Villa (A)

Burnley and Leicester are in the bottom three and learning that life in the Premier League is not all it's cracked up to be for Championship promoteees. Swansea where doing well earlier in the season but have slipped down the table of late lying only two places and three points above us. Villa seem to have become something of a bogie team for us in the last couple of seasons but at least it'll provide Delph with a platform to shows FSG his silky skills before we sign him in January.

All sarcasm aside though, with Sturridge hopefully returning for the majority of them, FSG hopefully surprising everyone with a marquee striker in Jan (no, I won't be holding my breath), these are five very winnable fixtures and if we take maximum points from them, given the problems those we're competing against for a top four place are having, we should be in with a shout of defying history (no team that's taken 22 points from 17 games has ever finished higher than 6th) finishing fourth. It's all to play for. Game on. COYR!

6 from 6 so far and barring Arsenal, all above "within catching distance" dropped points.

Glimmer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #73: Dec 31, 2014 11:55:04 am
      Whatever happened to taking one match as it comes, wishing your life away....
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #74: Feb 17, 2015 05:04:24 pm
      I know this is "Clusters of 5" but we have 6 games over the next 17 days that will either make or break our season! Squad rotation will be necessary to keep players fresh and avoid further injuries. There are some really stern tests in in there too with Besiktas, Southampton, and City all strong sides..... But bring it on!! We are bang in form and we have just gotten our best player back fit!! I'm so F***ing excited for this run of games I can hardly contain myself!!
      joshuaaa07
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #75: Feb 18, 2015 01:01:29 am
      Chelsea
      City
      liverpool
      arsenal
      tottenham
      Utd
      southampton
      west ham
      stoke
      everton
      newcastle
      swansea
      palace
      sunderland
      west brom
      burnley
      hull
      qpr
      villa
      leicester

Pretty happy that the table will end up something like this.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #76: Mar 10, 2015 08:36:08 pm
      2 clusters of 5 left.

Swansea (A)
      Utd (H)
      Arsenal (A)
      Newcastle (H)
      Hull (A)

If we can get 12-15 points from this lot we would be well in contention for 3rd sitting with 63-65 with 5 to play. Swansea haven't been great at home against any of the top teams. Utd at home is a must win and should win it if we can play our best. Emirates aint easy, if we have 57 going into this game - its a 3rd play playoff. Newcastle home is grand with their poor away form. Hull away should be straight forward, they have decent home form of late but havent played anyone of our ilk. Being conservative, I anticipate us to get 3wins, 1 draw, 1 loss = 10 points. Bringing us to 61 points.

West Brom (A)
      QPR (H)
      Chelsea (A)
      Palace (H)
      Stoke (A)

Need a min 12 points from this lot if we are to get top 3, and depending on how the previous 5 go, we may need the 12 points to get top 4. Away at the Bridge is never easy. Pretty confident we can get the other 4 wins, west brom A aint easy but should be ok. Stoke could be a tough one but again must/should win. If we didnt need it so much I would of taken 10 points from this lot also. 12 points expected and needed with 4 wins 1 loss.

73 points... should be enough. Utd will drop more than 14 points on their pig of a run in leaving them on 69 well behind us.

1st job, make sure we win our next...2 games. Ensure we dont draw too many of the easier games... We are well able to get 3rd in the form we are in... just believe in ourselves.

My only concern is of late... we have been relying on 30yard screamers and moments of genius to win games.... bring the rain, bring the thunder, bring the madness and start annihilating teams again. We have the talent, just unleash the Krakin.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #77: Mar 19, 2015 01:02:10 pm
      Almost every interview with Rodgers last season he alluded to the block of 5.  His target last season was 10 points from 5 games.

Recap so far of our 5 game blocks

1st  = 6pts (out of 15) = 1.2 points per game
      2nd = 8 = 1.6 ppg
      3rd = 7 = 1.4 ppg
      4th = 8 = 1.6 ppg
      5th = 13 = 2.6 ppg
      6th = (1 game left - so far 12pts/12) = 3ppg

Average = 1.86 ppg

United are currently ahead of us in 4th with 1.93 ppg - which confirms the initial target for us to aim for a minimum of around 2 per game.  To reach this we need 22 points from our final 9 games.

Tough ask. 7 wins and 1 draw from 9....

No matter how red your glasses may be - 76 points looks hugely optimistic.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #78: Mar 19, 2015 01:05:29 pm

2nd = 8 = 1.6 ppg
      3rd = 7 = 1.4 ppg
      4th = 8 = 1.6 ppg
      5th = 13 = 2.6 ppg

Average = 1.86 ppg

United are currently ahead of us in 4th with 1.93 ppg - which confirms the initial target for us to aim for a minimum of around 2 per game.  To reach this we need 22 points from our final 9 games.

I'd forgotten about this thread, so thanks for the update JD, it's always good to see a snapshot of where we are compared to where we were.

I'd also agree that 76 points looks very optimistic.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #79: Mar 19, 2015 01:12:36 pm
      one game at a time next up UTD which is probably the game that will win you top 4 as confidence will be low whoever loses this one. i think we are to strong for them at home and will win 2-0 a pen.scored by Hendo and then a Sturridge finisher late in the 2nd half.
      once we win this game next biggest test is Arsenal, Palace and Rentboys as all our other games i think we will win.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #80: Mar 19, 2015 02:42:37 pm
      6 points out 6 on the next 2 games will, IMO, get cement us into a a top 4 finish
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #81: Mar 19, 2015 03:48:33 pm
      6 points out 6 on the next 2 games will, IMO, get cement us into a a top 4 finish

Definitely looks that way. But I think realistically, a draw at the Emirates and a draw at Stamford Bridge when we get there would be 2 good points to pick up. Absolutely must win all of our home matches of course, including United.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #82: Mar 20, 2015 09:35:13 am
      Definitely looks that way. But I think realistically, a draw at the Emirates and a draw at Stamford Bridge when we get there would be 2 good points to pick up. Absolutely must win all of our home matches of course, including United.

As we stand our recent record is better away... Utd at home seems tougher than it did 14 days ago
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #83: Mar 20, 2015 10:49:46 am

2nd = 8 = 1.6 ppg
      3rd = 7 = 1.4 ppg
      4th = 8 = 1.6 ppg
      5th = 13 = 2.6 ppg

Average = 1.86 ppg

This season is different though mate. Think the 2 points per game is the norm. We can get 73-74 points this season and still get 4th IMO. The next 2 weeks will be crucial. We could lose to utd and still get top 4... unlikely as it would mean getting the better of Arsenal and or Chelsea and utd losing to city etc.

Lets make this cluster 15 from 15. Would be some achievement alright.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #84: Mar 20, 2015 11:22:36 am
      it will be exciting times yet again if we do the scum on sunday as i think we can push the top 3 then

Quick Reply