Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      12 (11.3%)
      Can
      1 (0.9%)
      Skrtel
      11 (10.4%)
      Sakho
      49 (46.2%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Henderson
      4 (3.8%)
      Allen
      2 (1.9%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Sturridge
      6 (5.7%)
      Coutinho
      8 (7.5%)
      Gerrard
      12 (11.3%)
      Balotelli
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Liverpool 1:2 Man Utd: In game and post match debate.

Read 63070 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 1:2 Man Utd: In game and post match debate.
      Reply #575: Mar 22, 2015 04:24:39 pm
      Well we have a lot to say about the 1st half crap and the refs decision on Phil Jones (and no yellow for Di Maria).

But I wanted to say Sakho was absolutely brilliant. Top class defender we have.

Today he showed that all those commentators and pundits who have called him dodgy on the ball are just talking sh*t. One of the best on the ball in the league by far.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #576: Mar 22, 2015 04:29:39 pm
      I don't know how Phil Jones was still on the pitch come full time... Frustrating game. Gerrard looked really up for it and could have been a major influence. Great pass, great tackle and then a red. Martin Atkinson can go and suck a bag of cøcks. If that shower nick fourth it will be a travesty. I still fancy us to pull it off though, as long as we can bounce back from this asap.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #577: Mar 22, 2015 04:30:44 pm
      Poor first half. They exploited our 3 at the back with good wing play today.

No pressing and intensity today, and those are the two things that always work for us. Very casual in the first half. Fairly deserved, that result.

Rash from Gerrard. Feel for him though, he's having some big forgettable moments towards the end of his career. Will haunt him for long.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #578: Mar 22, 2015 04:33:55 pm
      Not too sure why members have voted for Gerrard as MotM.

In the few seconds he was on the pitch, he was the best with his tackles and movements up until the madness.

Myself I voted for someone else.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #579: Mar 22, 2015 04:35:13 pm
      In the few seconds he was on the pitch, he was the best with his tackles and movements up u tile the madness.

Myself I voted for someone else.

Still though, motm for 20 seconds? People have done it for a F**k about.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #580: Mar 22, 2015 04:37:19 pm
      What a crap refereeing display. Don't get me wrong Stevie deservedly walked and Skrtel was lucky not to get a red once the game had finished, but everything fell United's way.
      Jones could have been sent off twice, Herrera was also lucky, and Di Maria's handball was just an utter farce. I'd love to hear Martin Atkinson's explanation for not booking him.
      With that said, what a poor first half. Why Sterling is playing as part of a back line I will never know. One of our biggest threats we should be playing him on the wing up top or not at all.
      Sakho MOTM by a country mile.
      Moreno should be dropped instantly, you can't perform like that wearing the shirt. The kid needs to go to summer camp to learn how to defend.
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 573 
      Reply #581: Mar 22, 2015 04:37:42 pm
      Outplayed out thought out sung - how Moreno gets a game of football anywhere is a mystery the lad is awful.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #582: Mar 22, 2015 04:40:03 pm
      Anyone pissed off with the skipper, I'll take your tickets for Sundays game if your now not going of course ;)
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #583: Mar 22, 2015 04:40:09 pm
      Still though, motm for 20 seconds? People have done it for a f**k about.

Maybe true. Frustrating game.

The ref was reluctant to give cards to Man U players throughout the first half. Herrera's first tackle on Gerrard was what ticked him off as it looked like he got away with it. The yellow given later was only retrospective.

The ref killed it.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #584: Mar 22, 2015 04:43:18 pm
      Par for the course! Every time we don't win or aren't winning in a match, "tactically naive" gets trotted out ad nauseam.

Sorry Mossy mate but I think we were today. Van Gaal negated our pressing partially by making sure his lot used the full width of pitch at all times.

We were p#ss poor all over the pitch though - no excuses - so even with bang on tactics we'd have struggled.

Joe Allen turned in one of the worst passing displays I've seen in a red jersey in a long time but there were a few howlers.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #585: Mar 22, 2015 04:46:41 pm
      Brendan needs to stop accommodating players and pick the best team and not the best 11 players, sterling needs to be up with sturridge who needs a partner. Losing to a very average united team is very galling
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #586: Mar 22, 2015 04:51:29 pm
      Sorry Mossy mate but I think we were today. Van Gaal negated our pressing partially by making sure his lot used the full width of pitch at all times.

We were p#ss poor all over the pitch though - no excuses - so even with bang on tactics we'd have struggled.

Joe Allen turned in one of the worst passing displays I've seen in a red jersey in a long time but there were a few howlers.

I agree that van Gaal had the right tactics, but to be fair they had very few shots at all in the first half. They had one solid chance and took it by exploiting the gap between WB and CB. Moreno was a mess on the goal too. More concerned about Valencia 25 yards away from as opposed to Mata who was only steps from him.

As for Allen, 84.2 percent passing accuracy. Only Sakho's 89.8 percent was higher on the team. Henderson was 62.9 percent. (stats from WhoScored)

rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #587: Mar 22, 2015 04:53:45 pm
      Same against rovers and Swansea teams were always going to try and spoil the formation they had 2 chances thats it. No one else could have done a job against Feillani but he did nothing anyway. We became to deep and could not find any holes and our WBs offer nothing going forward. Sakho MOM we are badly short of a DM who can put his foot in  Never have I seen a midfield so short of bite .
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #588: Mar 22, 2015 04:58:31 pm
      I agree that van Gaal had the right tactics, but to be fair they had very few shots at all in the first half. They had one solid chance and took it by exploiting the gap between WB and CB. Moreno was a mess on the goal too. More concerned about Valencia 25 yards away from as opposed to Mata who was only steps from him.

As for Allen, 84.2 percent passing accuracy. Only Sakho's 89.8 percent was higher on the team. Henderson was 62.9 percent. (stats from WhoScored)

oh please not the stats
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #589: Mar 22, 2015 04:59:17 pm

Lies, damned lies and statistics Mossy.....umpteen times in first 30 he gave the ball away or turned into trouble.

But....neither he not BR are the only reason we lost. We were very poor all over -  too many passengers.

Bad day at office - just sh#t that it's against them.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #590: Mar 22, 2015 04:59:20 pm
      Outplayed out thought out sung - how Moreno gets a game of football anywhere is a mystery the lad is awful.

Not really mate.  It was pretty level in the first half.  Mata took the one clear cut chance they had, and Lallana missed the one clear cut chance we had.  They were the better side for the first 20-25 minutes.  We were the better side for the next 15-20 minutes.  It was still either teams game going into halftime....

Stevie's tackle was disgraceful.  It was deliberate, dirty, malicious, and stupid.  This was the moment that changed the game and it made our task nearly impossible.  I understand that he probably had a lot on his mind coming into the game, and he is human so he is allowed to make mistakes the same as everyone else, but he really let his teammates and the fans down today....

But, what's done is done.  We need to regroup and focus on getting all 3 points when we go to the Emirates in 2 weeks.  A top 4 finish will be very difficult now, but it isn't impossible.  We just need to be damn near perfect from here on to the end of the season....
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #591: Mar 22, 2015 05:03:06 pm
      Lies, damned lies and statistics Mossy.....umpteen times in first 30 he gave the ball away or turned into trouble.

But....neither he not BR are the only reason we lost. We were very poor all over -  too many passengers.

Bad day at office - just sh#t that it's against them.

Only brought up the passing stats because you said Allen "turned in one of the worst passing displays I've seen in a red jersey in a long time." Clearly, his passing was fine. He led the team in being dispossessed (4 times) which I think now is what you meant ;D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #592: Mar 22, 2015 05:15:20 pm
      Only brought up the passing stats because you said Allen "turned in one of the worst passing displays I've seen in a red jersey in a long time." Clearly, his passing was fine. He led the team in being dispossessed (4 times) which I think now is what you meant ;D

Ouch.....fair challenge. Perhaps there were just a few real obvious passes / bad choices burned into my retina that distorted my memory.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #593: Mar 22, 2015 05:36:27 pm
      Ouch.....fair challenge. Perhaps there were just a few real obvious passes / bad choices burned into my retina that distorted my memory.

;D I hear thee. It was one of those games. I wanted to curl up and die when it was 0-2 hah
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #594: Mar 22, 2015 05:36:35 pm
      sh*te day at the office for us, might have nicked a draw, but overall we were pretty poor today.
      Utd controlled things for almost all the first half. Only after Lallana's miss did we step it up a bit and get the crowd up, that must've been over 35mins in. 11 vs 11, they deserved to be 1 up at half time.
      Then SG shoots himself and us in the foot, we're down to 10 and it's a mountain to climb. In fairness, they could've run in more goals but they seemed to slack off at 2 up, we came back into it a bit and Studge got his goal and there was some hope, though only a sliver.
      They used the width of the pitch well and made it more difficult to close them down. But BR was right, we hardly put in a tackle, was delighted when SG crunched in fairly on Mata, but that only lasted seconds ... and he was gone, he had the hand up straight away, he knew he was gone. Really disappointing for him, squad and fans as I think with him on we'd have really have got the kitchen sink out heading into the kop end.
      Ah well, what might have been. BIG loss for us, big win for them. 5 point gap, going to be hard to close but not impossible. Just means less room for error in remaining games. Straight red too so SG missing for a while now too :(

Some ratings:
      Migs     7
      Can      7
      Skyrtel  7.5
      Sahko   7.5
      Moreno  5.5
      Allen     6.5
      Hendo   7
      Sterling 6
      Lallana   6
      Coutinho 7.5
      Studge   7
      Balo       5.5

One to forget ... quickly ...
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #595: Mar 22, 2015 05:40:54 pm
      im not having people come here and act like we're the worst team ever and brendan is rubbish after the run we've been having.

Its not great for us to lose obviously, it wasnt a great game but save the doom and gloom seriously.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #596: Mar 22, 2015 05:45:35 pm
      What a crap refereeing display. Don't get me wrong Stevie deservedly walked and Skrtel was lucky not to get a red once the game had finished, but everything fell United's way.
      Jones could have been sent off twice, Herrera was also lucky, and Di Maria's handball was just an utter farce. I'd love to hear Martin Atkinson's explanation for not booking him.
      With that said, what a poor first half. Why Sterling is playing as part of a back line I will never know. One of our biggest threats we should be playing him on the wing up top or not at all.
      Sakho MOTM by a country mile.
      Moreno should be dropped instantly, you can't perform like that wearing the shirt. The kid needs to go to summer camp to learn how to defend.

For the peno the f**ker walked in front of can, slowed down a bit, waited for Can's shirt to brush off him, and dived. Was looking for it a mile off.
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #597: Mar 22, 2015 06:07:45 pm
      Anyone pissed off with the skipper, I'll take your tickets for Sundays game if your now not going of course ;)

Well said, there must be quite a few who won't want to go as he's totally wrecked our season, once again, NOT!
      So, agreed, anyone who's got tickets and can't face going, I'll take them off your hands, and pay a premium, just to be able to say 'Thankyou' to the legend that is Stevie G.
      It's his passion for this club that has dragged us through games we had no right to win, and his passion is what got him sent off today!
      Too many players lack that passion, and don't we complain about them. The only other player who has the same sort of passion is Skrtel, and he gets more than enough stick!

Quick Reply