Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Mignolet
      12 (11.3%)
      Can
      1 (0.9%)
      Skrtel
      11 (10.4%)
      Sakho
      49 (46.2%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Henderson
      4 (3.8%)
      Allen
      2 (1.9%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Sturridge
      6 (5.7%)
      Coutinho
      8 (7.5%)
      Gerrard
      12 (11.3%)
      Balotelli
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Liverpool 1:2 Man Utd: In game and post match debate.

Read 62867 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,739 posts | 882 
      Re: Liverpool 1:2 Man Utd: In game and post match debate.
      Reply #621: Mar 22, 2015 11:50:51 pm
      Just seen Stevie's Red.

Am I being blinkered in thinking that was a tad harsh?

No. I'm thinking the same. First chance I've had to see it real time.

No way does he intend to 'stamp' on the player. He seems to skip his feet. Whether he means to kick him, I don't know. But definitely not to stamp on him.

The "stamp" from Skrtel is also ridiculous. He doesn't mean to make that contact at all, he's going in, and De Gea slides out to where the foot is already going down.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #622: Mar 22, 2015 11:54:22 pm
      Its a definite red, I'm afraid.

In real time, I thought WTF but when you watch the replay, he has stamped on him deliberately. When Stevie G comes out and says he has been in the game long enough to know what he did was wrong, there really isn't a defence for it.

As for Martin Skrtel on DDG - I'm afraid that is a red all day long. The ball was overplayed, DDG was always going to get it and Skrtel just carried on his run with a couple of extra paces and basically stamped on DDG's ankle.

Saying all that, how Phil Jones stayed on after killing Lallana in the first half and then smacking Hendo into the stand is unbelievable!
      DanMann

• 5,739 posts | 882 
      Reply #623: Mar 22, 2015 11:55:20 pm
      Its a definite red, I'm afraid.

In real time, I thought WTF but when you watch the replay, he has stamped on him deliberately. When Stevie G comes out and says he has been in the game long enough to know what he did was wrong, there really isn't a defence for it.

But he hasn't said "I meant to stand on him".
      DanMann

• 5,739 posts | 882 
      Reply #624: Mar 22, 2015 11:56:24 pm

As for Martin Skrtel on DDG - I'm afraid that is a red all day long. The ball was overplayed, DDG was always going to get it and Skrtel just carried on his run with a couple of extra paces and basically stamped on DDG's ankle.

:f_doh: :mad:
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #625: Mar 23, 2015 12:08:07 am
      That's a pretty blinkered view. Were the games with Spurs, Saints and City, all teams above us at the time not big games?

So that is as good as saying, we won the last 3 games against tough opponents and it is ok to continue to play the way we did and its ok to loose this game even without altering our tactics to counter the strengths and weaknesses of utd, even we know what are those all about.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #626: Mar 23, 2015 12:55:37 am
      Tactics were a bit naive today and the system is not working any more. I think we need to go back to the system used last season.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,319 posts | 1523 
      Reply #627: Mar 23, 2015 12:56:49 am
      Settled down a bit now. The way I saw it, we set up wrongly from the off. Never pressed them hard enough and were outnumbered in the centre of the park. We were second best all over for the first half, and I was surprised Brendan didn't change the formation after about 15 mins when it became clear we weren't going to improve, with what we had.
      The second half was a lot better and we deserved a draw. The Gerrard stamp. Red card all day long, just like Skrtel got stamped on at Chelsea. We were screaming for a red then. I can understand Stevie being pumped up due to the lacklustre first half he had just witnessed. Obviously sent on to stir things up and inject some passion which the rest might have fed off. The stamp was a by product which was just petulant. Had he stayed on, I believe we would have gone on and won it.
      Also, I thought, like many others, the ref was a disgrace to his trade, and its performances like that which get all refs tarred with the same brush. So inconsistent, he was a joke. He should be dropped from the pre permanently. Its performances like this which reinforce the need for touchline televised replays on the issues of professional fouls, deliberate hand balls, and mediocre fouls, when the majority of which only seemed to be given one way.
      Bad day at the office, started by Brendan, continued by the starting 11, enhanced by Gerrard, and reinforced by Martin Atkinson.
      Still think they'll slip up and we'll get 4th.
      Oh, and I gave Skrtle MOTM as a matter of interest, only because I forgot about Migs pen save from the baldy granny shagger.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #628: Mar 23, 2015 01:14:29 am
      Crap tempo and dodgy subs, horrible to watch with my family.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #629: Mar 23, 2015 02:39:58 am
      stevie's red is a red all day long.  its the cummulative effect of that harsh tackle and then 3 seconds letting that kickout stamp. one of the dumbest things to do really

skrtel however i thought he just wanted to chase down the ball.  kinda late but he wanted to push the team forward... his stamp was more unintentional from my point of view
      Scottbot

• 9,608 posts | 2159 
      Reply #630: Mar 23, 2015 06:20:52 am
      So that is as good as saying, we won the last 3 games against tough opponents and it is ok to continue to play the way we did and its ok to loose this game even without altering our tactics to counter the strengths and weaknesses of utd, even we know what are those all about.

Don't talk nonsense, see my post in the 'we've been Sussed out' thread where I've criticised the manager. For not tweaking the system now that managers have come up with a way to nullify it. However, it Doesn't take anything away from the fine performances we put in against spurs, city and saints, all BIG games which your previous post fails to recognise.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #631: Mar 23, 2015 06:33:48 am
      stevie's red is a red all day long.  its the cummulative effect of that harsh tackle and then 3 seconds letting that kickout stamp. one of the dumbest things to do really

skrtel however i thought he just wanted to chase down the ball.  kinda late but he wanted to push the team forward... his stamp was more unintentional from my point of view

It also seemed to me like Skrtel got a push in the back from Jones. Hardly going to be able to stop his momentum is he.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #632: Mar 23, 2015 07:57:58 am
      Horrible flat feeling this morning, worse than yesterday to be honest, it's going to be a long week. That was a big one to lose that.

One thing I always try to remember in any game though with regards your own tactics and players is that there are two teams that step out into the pitch, it's a simply but crucial thing, tactics are important of course but the way the players on the pitch put them into practice is more key than anything and no matter what you try to do there is another side out there trying to stop you doing what you do and impress themselves into it and sometimes whatever you try to do the other side do what they are doing better. Look it hurts Utd started better than us, they didn't let us settle, they started better and we just didn't get going, they dominated the middle of the park and had control. We didn't really get any foot hold into it until maybe the last ten when they had blown themselves out a bit with constant pressing of us.. It's what we do at our best to others.. Now I'm not going to praise them because of never be able to actually bring myself to actually do that but it's there just to say that sometimes an opposition start games better than you and especially other teams with big players can do that to you.

I can see the thinking bringing Stevie on at half time as we just weren't getting a foothold in the middle of the park.. I'm actually of the thought that he was a tad unlucky with the red.. I think 30 seconds in with two lots of tough 50/50s in the middle of the park in 30 seconds where both lots had players on both sides being aggressive and you could have the view that Herrera certainly wanted to put an early one in on Steven to rile him that both could have gotten a yellow.. If you watch it the ref, with a good view doesn't give it, his Lino does and I don't think from his view that he can categorically say how much intent there was in Steven to 'stamp' on him.. For me there wasn't that much intent to actually 'stamp' it was more reaction to the tackle and it was more unfortunate that malicious.. Yes Steven has come out and said he let everyone down and he probably feels that but I do think it was a harsh red myself in the whole aspect of what surrounded those 30 seconds. If we are taking tough tackling rough house middle of midfield out of the game it will be a poorer one for me.

I've seen all this 'he will only be remembered for the slip and stamp' rubbish.. Bollocks, Stevie has been and always will be a legend for the right reasons in our eyes and even the media.. Of course Utd and Chelsea fans will song their sh*te songs but the moment I give a sh*te about them will be a sad day.

Yes the skipper probably did let us down but in my humble opinion he was slightly unfortunate from over zealous officials that don't really let the game go anymore.

As I said I'm gutted, even more today than yesterday truth be told.. It's going to be a long week.

I still think they will drop points this season, their players have got up for a few big games this season so far but still have poor performances in them.. We need to shake off this feeling and get back to it again.

Poor day.. Going to be a long week

Edit: For reason of balance I must say here as I'm sure people will want to tell me I'm wrong but I can see why people think it was right he went for it but as I said in my humble opinion only I think in the circumstances it was too quick to pull the red but I do understand completely if you think it was right

Double edit : I'm not for one second attempting to defend Steven, he is ultimately responsible for his actions. Personally just think the decision was a bit quick draw
      « Last Edit: Mar 23, 2015 09:52:06 am by Paisleydalglish »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #633: Mar 23, 2015 08:39:18 am
      So disappointed with the result as I had us down for a 3-1 win in the prediction league. Stevie, Stevie, Stevie why oh why oh why.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,175 posts | 4402 
      Reply #634: Mar 23, 2015 08:42:37 am
      Although Gerrard is going to kop the flak for costing us 3 pts for his moment of  madness but you could see what he was trying to do.
      Having to sit and watch that first 30 minutes where our biggest rivals out played us, no infact the likes of Smalling, Jones, Herrera and fellatio bullied our players!
      Stevie wanted to get on there and shows what it means to play those cu*ts, he went a bit OTT but even Rodgers mentioned that was prbably the first tackle form us. Its all fine and well having fancy flicks and Cruyuff turns in your locker but if your not matching your oppositions energy and desire it wont make a jot of difference as we saw with the result.

Its a bit of a concern when our players cant get up for the biggest game of the season and it showed a lack of leadership on the pitch. With Gerrard and Lucas on the pitch no way we would have been bullied yesterday.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #635: Mar 23, 2015 08:44:43 am
      easy to say but for me, if Stevie stays on we win the game!

he messed up but i think he's got credit in the bank...
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #636: Mar 23, 2015 08:56:02 am
      Although Gerrard is going to kop the flak for costing us 3 pts for his moment of  madness but you could see what he was trying to do.
      Having to sit and watch that first 30 minutes where our biggest rivals out played us, no infact the likes of Smalling, Jones, Herrera and fellatio bullied our players!
      Stevie wanted to get on there and shows what it means to play those cu*ts, he went a bit OTT but even Rodgers mentioned that was prbably the first tackle form us. Its all fine and well having fancy flicks and Cruyuff turns in your locker but if your not matching your oppositions energy and desire it wont make a jot of difference as we saw with the result.

Its a bit of a concern when our players cant get up for the biggest game of the season and it showed a lack of leadership on the pitch. With Gerrard and Lucas on the pitch no way we would have been bullied yesterday.

I do not blame Stevie for costing us 3 points, every player has to bear the responsibility for that.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #637: Mar 23, 2015 09:06:59 am
      Silly thing to do Stevie lad ,but,I fully understand his frustration at having to watch that first half where we were F***ing invisible.
      Their was nothing from any of them (bar sahko )
      Zilch no passion no fire it was sh*te.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #638: Mar 23, 2015 09:27:49 am
      its easy for us to say the tactics were wrong looking back as the first half we looked a joke chasing shaddows. Br got his tactics wrong this time round and he will learn from it big time how to play agasint them next season. Mario seemed to speed up our attack play when he came on as it allowed Sturridge to move freely and not have to wait for a through ball. i think we should stick to a front 3 of Mario Sterling and strurridge for Blackburn game
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #639: Mar 23, 2015 09:30:56 am
      sometimes a football lesson helps the team to grow, 2nd half we looked like the liverpool we all know fast and angry going forward. We showed them too much respect in the first half it was one of the worst halfs of football i've seen under BR we just couldnt get near them at all. Moreno at fault for the first goal caught napping letting him through and second was a worldy but again no challenge made in the air to stop the ball getting to Mata in the first place. Allen and hendo invisible and Can for the first time ever looked nervous and clumsy with the ball.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #640: Mar 23, 2015 10:16:14 am
      Imho the first tackle from Stevie is what we should have been doing from the off instead we let them bully the fck out of us ,most of us watching it were crying out for our players to get stuck into them , imagine how he fekt sat there watching us getting turned over on our own patch fcking fuming I expect like most of us ,
      Ok the second was over the top but at least he cared and wanted to show them fckers we wont be walked all over ynwa skipper .
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #641: Mar 23, 2015 10:31:06 am
      What the f**k was that sh*te yesterday. Seriously, what the f**k was that.

We sat back and let them play in our half. I'm not sure whether we were just that sh*te or whether we were trying to hit them on the counter attack but I couldn't believe how much they dominated the game and we just let them. We had a spell for five minutes towards the end of the first half where we pressed them back and put them under pressure and you could see straight away that they weren't comfortable with it and we forced them to make some mistakes. We should have been doing this from the first minute. We were at home for fucks sake and a win would have taken us into the top 4.

Maybe Brendan was more cautious because of what happened against Chelsea at home last season. We went in all guns blazing and got beat 2-0. The difference being, we didn't have to beat Chelsea last season, a draw would have sufficed. But yesterday was a must win game in my opinion and we are out of the race for top 4 now.

The second half was slightly better but the game was over when Mata scored his second.

Overall a dreadful performance and its only Sakho who comes out with any credit for me. Can and Mignolet were all over the place. Skrtel did ok until the stamp on de gea and now will probably get a ban the stupid tit. Allen and Henderson weren't in the game at all in the first half but Hendo came into it abit in the second. Sterling was AWFUL, he needs dropping. Moreno a lost little boy. Coutinho hunted the ball down at times but had no support from his team mates. Lallana was sh*te yet again and Sturridge had no service but took his goal well - its still clear as day for me though that he needs somebody to play up alongside him. Gerrard is a f**king idiot for doing what he did.

Awful, awful performance and result. I could take the result if we gave it a proper go but were unlucky or lost to the better team on the day. But Sakho and maybe Coutinho aside, none of them looked interested. Fine them a weeks wage and give the funds to the HJC.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #642: Mar 23, 2015 10:48:31 am
      I am gutted too but I think it was naive tactics and referee in my eye that cost us this match.

Yes, Manure were better than us as it seems they wanted it more than us. I thought we went in with an attitude of - it is our patch and we will win it. No passion.

The referee was not fair. We got the yellows but Manure didn't. How Jones didn't get a yellow when he flattened Lallana, I will never know. It might be bit 'conspiracy theorist' of me but I think the FA would prefer to have Manure in top 4 rather than us (perhaps old whiskey nose still has some friends there). The ref was poor. Fellani could have been yellow carded as well. Jones definitely should have been sent off for the 2nd challenge.

Also, Rodgers did not make the changes as soon as he saw things were going wrong. Why did he wait until half-time to make a change? I know only Maurinho makes instant changes but yesterday was a good opportunity to change it but he didn't. Perhaps, he is not brave enough to make changes as say 20/25/30 minutes into the game. Moreno was having a horrendous time should have been pulled up.

Anyway, my manager is a Scum supporter and I am not enjoying the start of the week here. :(
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #643: Mar 23, 2015 11:14:57 am
      I am gutted too but I think it was naive tactics and referee in my eye that cost us this match.

Yes, Manure were better than us as it seems they wanted it more than us. I thought we went in with an attitude of - it is our patch and we will win it. No passion.

The referee was not fair. We got the yellows but Manure didn't. How Jones didn't get a yellow when he flattened Lallana, I will never know. It might be bit 'conspiracy theorist' of me but I think the FA would prefer to have Manure in top 4 rather than us (perhaps old whiskey nose still has some friends there). The ref was poor. Fellani could have been yellow carded as well. Jones definitely should have been sent off for the 2nd challenge.

Also, Rodgers did not make the changes as soon as he saw things were going wrong. Why did he wait until half-time to make a change? I know only Maurinho makes instant changes but yesterday was a good opportunity to change it but he didn't. Perhaps, he is not brave enough to make changes as say 20/25/30 minutes into the game. Moreno was having a horrendous time should have been pulled up.

Anyway, my manager is a Scum supporter and I am not enjoying the start of the week here. :(

Regardless of refereeing decisions, we were sh*te. Atkinson is a w**ker but he is not at fault for our dreadful display. We showed no passion or fight to win yesterday. If Jones had been sent off yesterday, would that have made much difference? If Fellaini had been carded, would that? I don't think so.

It was so unusual to watch our team that usually presses and has a lot of energy and pace about it sit back with 11 men behind the ball and let United have possession in our half.

I am still in disbelief at how we let them dominate the game. I'm not making excuses for Steven, in fact im F***ing fuming with him, but I do understand others saying how frustrated and pissed off he must have been sat on the bench watching that pile of sh*te  :mad:

Quick Reply