Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Europa League participation - yes or no?

Read 23839 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Europa League participation - yes or no?
      Reply #138: Jun 02, 2015 09:58:30 am
      And we got to the semi final of the Europa League in 2010 before getting beat in extra time.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #139: Jun 02, 2015 10:19:26 am
      Yip and that was Rafa's last season.

Think we got to quarters next season with barn owl then kenny.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #140: Jun 02, 2015 10:33:24 am
      I want Lfc to go into every comp with the attitude that it's the only comp we can win, Im sick to f***in death of the half arsed attitude employed in recent seasons where it seems we're only in it to make up the numbers,

this season for example we had the FA cup at our mercy then fu**ed it by letting a sh*t Villa side over run us , we fell apart and looked like a side who just could be f***in arsed,

If that's the attitude our players want to use then I'd rather we fill the team bus full of young guns and tell them win and you get the chance of a bench spot in the next league match, at least they will have a hunger & desire to do well, not capitulate knowing your pay cheque is safe no matter what,

This club has a history filled with cup success it's what made us what we are, let's get back those glory filled days we are famous for,
      The league position looks after itself, and having a good cup run instills a winning mentality and brings about consistency,

these are the ingredients that has served us so well down the yrs, and all it takes is have the right attitude & application

This is what I expect from a side that has ambition, a team that wants to win, anything else we may as well not f***in bother.

Just saying like !

YNWA
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #141: Jun 02, 2015 10:37:41 am
      I want Lfc to go into every comp with the attitude that it's the only comp we can win, Im sick to f***in death of the half arsed attitude employed in recent seasons where it seems we're only in it to make up the numbers,

this season for example we had the FA cup at our mercy then fu**ed it by letting a sh*t Villa side over run us , we fell apart and looked like a side who just could be f***in arsed,

If that's the attitude our players want to use then I'd rather we fill the team bus full of young guns and tell them win and you get the chance of a bench spot in the next league match, at least they will have a hunger & desire to do well, not capitulate knowing your pay cheque is safe no matter what,

This club has a history filled with cup success it's what made us what we are, let's get back those glory filled days we are famous for,
      The league position looks after itself, and having a good cup run instills a winning mentality and brings about consistency,

these are the ingredients that has served us so well down the yrs, and all it takes is have the right attitude & application

This is what I expect from a side that has ambition, a team that wants to win, anything else we may as well not f***in bother.

Just saying like !

YNWA

Well said Billy and completely agree with the ethic, but our glorious owners have robbed this club of integrity and ambition unfortunately and cast their shadow of mediocrity like an enormous storm cloud.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #142: Jun 02, 2015 10:58:42 am
      Past caring.

In Europa we'll be embarrased ... but it will be on "PAR". 

FFS.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #143: Jun 02, 2015 11:14:18 am
      Past caring.

FFS.

Above all else, hope remains...

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #144: Jun 02, 2015 11:15:55 am
      The fact the EL is essentially fighting above our weight makes any question of CL qualification farcical.

Liverpool have enough resources to try and balance the league and Europa league. The spotlight should be on BR in particular to go on a run in that competition if he thinks he's a good tactical manager. He has literally no European experience and this is a good opportunity. Even if he managed top 4 next year why would FSG let him manage the ensuing CL campaign, without showing he has some chance of doing something. I think for BR at least the EL is vital.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #145: Jun 02, 2015 12:06:29 pm
      He has literally no European experience ...  and this is a good opportunity.

Manager of Liverpool Football Club for the last three years.

Farcical .... and this is the guy we may hear tomorrow is being kept on ?

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #146: Jun 02, 2015 12:13:09 pm
      Thank f**k Arsenal won, at least we will not have the shame of going out in a qualifying round.

Thank f**k Villa went to the Final and not us Billy.
      I think that it would have been a humiliation on an all seeing global TV scale .
      Thanks Tim for the bamboozle.

Wenger bamboozles Sherwood.

Sherwood bamboozles Rodgers .

Thats elite management right there.

One day Im going to wake up and the last three years will have been a bad dream FFS .
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #147: Jun 02, 2015 12:23:32 pm
      The Europa League is a definite yes. As long as BR and FSG are in charge unless we have another Suarez in our team the Europa League is our best chance of gaining Champions League entry. On top of that it's silverware, it's a trophy and we need to start winning some of those if we want to attract the top players.

Liverpool have enough resources to try and balance the league and Europa league. The spotlight should be on BR in particular to go on a run in that competition if he thinks he's a good tactical manager. He has literally no European experience and this is a good opportunity. Even if he managed top 4 next year why would FSG let him manage the ensuing CL campaign, without showing he has some chance of doing something. I think for BR at least the EL is vital.

This is the problem right here. Why is someone with no prior experience in European competition and who has failed miserably in Europe with us still our manager? At least Barn Owl can say he turned Juventus over en route to a Final, what the hell has Brendan done?

Past caring.

FFS.

We'll probably ship 9 goals against Steaua Bucharest and be told we're on par because they're also fellow European Cup winners.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #148: Jun 02, 2015 12:26:31 pm
      Past caring.

FFS.

Unusual for you to be so negative Skip mate, I can understand why tho if I'm honest, I think we are all on a downer at the moment for reasons still to painful to accept, however, there remains a decent core of players at our disposal and IF our illustrious owners make the necessary changes with or without BR there is still plenty to be positive about,

I guess we will have a better understanding in the next few days of the intentions of our owners, that is of course if the changes needed are implemented, I think only a blind man won't see that there needs to be a colossal change starting from the top down.

I'm not yet of an opinion that Brendan's status is untenable but I do think FSG have to look at the situation and ask themselves if BR is the man to take this club forward, if they do then they have to back him fully 100%, lift the restrictions and let him bring in those top shelf signings we so desperately need, if not then it won't just be a manager that's needed but new owners too, ones with more ambition and more belief, but pleeeze, no more Yanks !

YNWA
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4927 
      Reply #149: Jun 02, 2015 12:31:50 pm
      Unusual for you to be so negative Skip mate,

;D

Sounded like you were serious as well Billy!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #150: Jun 02, 2015 01:12:28 pm

Unusual for you to be so negative Skip mate, I can understand why tho if I'm honest, I think we are all on a downer at the moment for reasons still to painful to accept,

YNWA

Yes    It is ..... never been like this.

Hoping there is life still in the corpse that is LFC.

Have you read Deb's posts?
      RedLFCBlood's ? : Supported every manager but no affinity with this clown.

Not surprisingly the  lines are being blurred with Hicks and Gillett.
      The term Yanks is being seen more.

I am really not sure what I am going to feel if tomorrow they keep this idiot on.
      Putting Rodgers to one side ..... their plans for LFC are not our plans and the word "winners" isnt found in their commercial vocabulary.

It would prove that BR was hired just as their inexperienced compliant lapdog and to toe their corporate line.

The thing is : I am sure they are laughing behind his back.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #151: Jun 02, 2015 01:39:53 pm

Unusual for you to be so negative Skip mate, I can understand why tho if I'm honest, I think we are all on a downer at the moment for reasons still to painful to accept, however, there remains a decent core of players at our disposal and IF our illustrious owners make the necessary changes with or without BR there is still plenty to be positive about,

I guess we will have a better understanding in the next few days of the intentions of our owners, that is of course if the changes needed are implemented, I think only a blind man won't see that there needs to be a colossal change starting from the top down.

I'm not yet of an opinion that Brendan's status is untenable but I do think FSG have to look at the situation and ask themselves if BR is the man to take this club forward, if they do then they have to back him fully 100%, lift the restrictions and let him bring in those top shelf signings we so desperately need, if not then it won't just be a manager that's needed but new owners too, ones with more ambition and more belief, but pleeeze, no more Yanks !

YNWA

Billy the very fact that people are using the word "embarrassing" in the context of the EL tells a F***ing story mate.
      When we exited the CL and won that tournament it was an entirely different mind set.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #152: Jun 02, 2015 02:32:10 pm
      Yes    It is ..... never been like this.

Hoping there is life still in the corpse that is LFC.

Have you read Deb's posts?
      RedLFCBlood's ? : Supported every manager but no affinity with this clown.

Not surprisingly the  lines are being blurred with Hicks and Gillett.
      The term Yanks is being seen more.

I am really not sure what I am going to feel if tomorrow they keep this idiot on.
      Putting Rodgers to one side ..... their plans for LFC are not our plans and the word "winners" isnt found in their commercial vocabulary.

It would prove that BR was hired just as their inexperienced compliant lapdog and to toe their corporate line.

The thing is : I am sure they are laughing behind his back.

Know where your coming from mate and yes I did read Debs & Blood's posts, I really can't disagree with any of the points made from either, but it's looking more likely we will be stuck with Brendan and perhaps more worrying stuck with these shyster owners,
      Although Brendan does seem out of his depth truth be known it really doesn't matter, our main problem is FSG,

Once again it seems were attached to owners whose soul purpose is to look after their own interests and F**k the consequences,  like Stuey has mentioned Brendan is no more than the FSG lapdog and will conform to his masters voice irrespective of what he actually wants or indeed that of we fans,

I'm actually starting to think that their lack of ambition will ultimately end their tenure, re- H & G, probably won't happen this season but another season like last one I can see them experiencing a worldwide shitstorm ,

In the interim tho if indeed Brendan remains he will need our full support although somewhat reluctantly, what else is there ?

It's a sh*te situation engineered by FSG and their tight arsed methods, most clubs above us have owners that recognise huge investment in players wages is a must, it's a f***in no brainer, top wages attract top players,

I agree tho mate that they are probably laughing behind his back, but more significantly laughing behind ours.

YNWA

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #153: Jun 02, 2015 02:41:07 pm
      Billy the very fact that people are using the word "embarrassing" in the context of the EL tells a f**king story mate.
      When we exited the CL and won that tournament it was an entirely different mind set.

We're a long long way off from that winning mind set Stuey, and yes I agree 'Embarrassing' sums it up perfectly, never known a side lacking so much fight as this one, not just in European competition but domestically to, all we have is hope, hope to F**k things change and change very quickly, not got a lot of faith it's going to happen tho.

YNWA
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #154: Jun 02, 2015 06:41:52 pm
      Thank god we're already in the group stages.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #155: Jun 02, 2015 07:48:57 pm

it's a pity we're in the competition to begin with really
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #156: Jun 02, 2015 07:52:06 pm
      We need to win the EL to get CL qualification.

because that's going to happen.....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #157: Jun 02, 2015 08:42:00 pm

Yep.  At least we're guaranteed a good handful of games in the tournament!

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #158: Jun 02, 2015 08:48:04 pm
      European football until nearly Christmas, even if it is only the Europa league. At least it will give the squad some experience of European football at a lower level.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4927 
      Reply #159: Jun 02, 2015 09:28:41 pm
      Juggling this as well as getting a good start in the league is going to be a huge test for Brendan.

He has fell massively short in both European campaigns he has had so far so I hope he has a plan to be able to cope with two games a week.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #160: Jun 02, 2015 09:32:11 pm
      He could well be on the road to mission impossible.

Quick Reply