Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

FSG's Most Important Summer?

Read 40712 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: FSG's Most Important Summer?
      Reply #92: Apr 15, 2015 10:13:27 pm
      When you look at the effect signing Sanchez has made to Arsenal's season, it shows the difference a really good player or 2 can can make. Instant quality as opposed might be good in the future players.

Unfortunately I think we all know how this Window's going to go!  :mad:
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #93: Apr 15, 2015 10:32:43 pm
      We'll probably "push as hard as we can", but get outbid by Spurs! We never seem to want these players bad enough!

Come on name a player apart from sigurdssonn who we got outbid for? Arsenal matched our bid for Sanchez you cannot attract players who do not want to come, it seems our manager is not a big enough pull.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #94: Apr 15, 2015 10:58:13 pm
      Shouldn't have watched the football tonight.
      F**k FSG.
      No ambition.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #95: Apr 15, 2015 11:05:36 pm
      Come on name a player apart from sigurdssonn who we got outbid for? Arsenal matched our bid for Sanchez you cannot attract players who do not want to come, it seems our manager is not a big enough pull.

Grow up and stop believing the pish that JWH wants you to believe, even Stevie and Brendan have stated as much
      It's fairly obvious unless  :dunce2:
      Maybe not!

Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #96: Apr 15, 2015 11:11:01 pm
      Grow up and stop believing the pish that JWH wants you to believe, even Stevie and Brendan have stated as much
      It's fairly obvious unless  :dunce2:
      Maybe not!

ok sorry i gave you credit for going back and reading the posts, ( you know like you did doing comprehension at school ) but Sanchez was our first major target if he had decided to come he would of been on big wages hence we wouldnt have signed as many players same with costa. They didnt we couldnt attract them.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #97: Apr 15, 2015 11:12:35 pm

Name a single player that didn't come to Liverpool because of Brendan Rodgers? Whether we like it or not, our club is not a big enough pull. We haven't won the title in a quarter of a century, no European honours for ten years, and only the least desirable of our two domestic cups in the last nine years. On top of that, by next season, everyone of our big name players will have left the club, including the club's most iconic player in a generation. I fear we're now stuck in a vicious circle unable to attract the best players because we don't win anything, unable to win anything because we can't attract the best players.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #98: Apr 15, 2015 11:34:08 pm
      Name a single player that didn't come to Liverpool because of Brendan Rodgers? Whether we like it or not, our club is not a big enough pull. We haven't won the title in a quarter of a century, no European honours for ten years, and only the least desirable of our two domestic cups in the last nine years. On top of that, by next season, everyone of our big name players will have left the club, including the club's most iconic player in a generation. I fear we're now stuck in a vicious circle unable to attract the best players because we don't win anything, unable to win anything because we can't attract the best players.

What have Arsensl won in the last 10 years?

Yes you guessed right they have loosened their purse strings to attract top talent it's not rocket science!

Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #99: Apr 15, 2015 11:38:22 pm

Yes you guessed right they have loosened their purse strings to attract top talent it's not rocket science!

No they have finished paying for their stadium hence have better funds and can operate under FFP rules and compete. Plus they are in the CL.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #100: Apr 15, 2015 11:47:07 pm

Two FA Cups and a Charity Shield. We've won an FA Cup, a League Cup and a Charity shield in the same time frame. Difference is they've finished in the top four every one of those ten years. We haven't. That's the difference maker.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #101: Apr 15, 2015 11:56:12 pm
      Two FA Cups and a Charity Shield. We've won an FA Cup, a League Cup and a Charity shield in the same time frame. Difference is they've finished in the top four every one of those ten years. We haven't. That's the difference maker.

So the difference must be wages as United didn't qualify yet DiMaria and Falcao signed for the big wages.

Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #102: Apr 15, 2015 11:57:07 pm
      So the difference must be wages as United didn't qualify yet DiMaria and Falcao signed for the big wages.

did you really just ask that, or deary deary me
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #103: Apr 15, 2015 11:59:24 pm
      did you really just ask that, or deary deary me

Are you a Manc?

Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #104: Apr 16, 2015 12:02:53 am

What part of United on a different planet under FFP rules and wages can you not understand how old are you, what quote is " are you a manc " have you not the mental capacity to formulate and argument without abuse if not do not respond.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #105: Apr 16, 2015 12:08:54 am
      What part of United on a different planet under FFP rules and wages can you not understand how old are you, what quote is " are you a manc " have you not the mental capacity to formulate and argument without abuse if not do not respond.

The fact that you seem to have a hatred of Rodgers that would be banned on RedCafe

Anyway I have early start so I'm out of here.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #106: Apr 16, 2015 12:10:12 am
      The fact that you seem to have a hatred of Rodgers that would be banned on RedCafe

Anyway I have early start so I'm out of here.

Oh dear night night, thought you on easter holidays.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #107: Apr 16, 2015 01:40:08 am

United paid Di Maria over the top wages as an attraction to compensate for lack of Champions League. It was widely reported at the time. They paid Falco what he receives at Monaco (tax free there). They're on a different financial level to every other club in England and only really Real Madrid can compete financially in Europe. United's stock was also still high since they'd only suffered a single season outside of the top four and look nailed on for a return to it this season. Had neither of those factors been in place they would not have been able to sign either of those players. Unfortunately there are no real comparisons to be made with Liverpool because no other non-London team is has comparable finances to us.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #108: Apr 16, 2015 09:58:39 am
      The reality now involves the same factors that were banging the drum when Suarez did one.
      Suarez, his brilliance and the effect that had on the players around him was not replaced, not even a suggestion of a replacement was implemented.
      That failure continually haunts us.
      Steven Gerrard is Suarez no. 2.
      The drum gets louder.

The drum is getting louder, not because of a huge failure (losing Suarez is not a failure, he would have left the best teams in the country for Barca imo) but because the fans demand the next stage. We're an intelligent bunch Stuey and we give owners patience if we see the good things they have done so far. But as I said, now that we're stable, growing and have a good manager, we recognise the base for pushing onto the next stage. This is why I think it's FSG's most important summer. If they are truly ambitious, they will show it this summer. If it's another crop of potential, then I'm afraid I will be joining the chorus of fans wrunning out of patience with them.

You have to admit, it is harder for us to attract the top talent nowdays though. In previous years, combination of Rafa and Stevie at his peak along with CL was a huge commodity for us to convince top players to come. We're not in that position right now and I do not blame FSG for that (maybe a little), so this summer will be big.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #109: Apr 16, 2015 10:12:52 am
      The drum is getting louder, not because of a huge failure (losing Suarez is not a failure, he would have left the best teams in the country for Barca imo) but because the fans demand the next stage. We're an intelligent bunch Stuey and we give owners patience if we see the good things they have done so far. But as I said, now that we're stable, growing and have a good manager, we recognise the base for pushing onto the next stage. This is why I think it's FSG's most important summer. If they are truly ambitious, they will show it this summer. If it's another crop of potential, then I'm afraid I will be joining the chorus of fans wrunning out of patience with them.

You have to admit, it is harder for us to attract the top talent nowdays though. In previous years, combination of Rafa and Stevie at his peak along with CL was a huge commodity for us to convince top players to come. We're not in that position right now and I do not blame FSG for that (maybe a little), so this summer will be big.

Agree mate, there is absolutely no need not to see those players arrive this summer and it will be very telling which way the owners will go. 

More potential over and above real quality will set us back years, probably forever.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #110: Apr 16, 2015 10:20:03 am

Entirely agree mate.
      Your last paragraph is a totally predictable end game of a faulted short-term economic strategy.
      This in spite of the claims to the contrary from JWH & Co that he has ''the long term interests of LFC'' inspiring his operation methods.
      If the immediate platform is eroded where is the base for a any extended modus operandi?
      « Last Edit: Apr 16, 2015 10:44:13 am by stuey »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #111: Apr 16, 2015 10:23:25 am
      More potential over and above real quality will set us back years, probably forever.

I think this is a very important point. It's not just about waiting for youngsters to develop that will  take years, it will be a statement of intent on the owners behalf that they are unwilling to change course. They have committed to a stadium built so they clearly have no intention of selling up anytime soon.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #112: Apr 16, 2015 10:38:07 am

The difference between us and the Mancs that they have a lot more money than us to spend on wages and players, this is a fact that no one can deny, being in the CL is irrelevant when money gets involved.

I think this summer will be both important to FSG AND Rodgers or Transfer Committee.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #113: Apr 16, 2015 10:47:46 am
      I think this is a very important point. It's not just about waiting for youngsters to develop that will  take years, it will be a statement of intent on the owners behalf that they are unwilling to change course. They have committed to a stadium built so they clearly have no intention of selling up anytime soon.

I agree mate.  We've had nearly 5 years of their ownership and their 10th transfer window is approaching.  We've got our finances on track, our commercial revenue is higher than ever, our wages are down to 55% of turnover and we're about to lose around £600k per week off the wage bill so there really isn't any reason why our transfer policy can't be tweaked for one window. 

Get it right and we're set to really push on on the playing front, get it wrong and that fear people had about our best talents leaving because they see no future in staying, will become a reality. 

They've had a fairly easy ride as "our saviours" but the natives are getting restless, we're not stupid, we've understood the need for caution but we won't stay patient for much longer when the evidence is there that we can afford to push the boat out occasionally.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #114: Apr 16, 2015 11:05:27 am
      The difference between us and the Mancs that they have a lot more money than us to spend on wages and players, this is a fact that no one can deny, being in the CL is irrelevant when money gets involved.

I think this summer will be both important to FSG AND Rodgers or Transfer Committee.

Any business that has the right priorities will ''have a lot more money to spend on wages and the means to improve and retain the status of the asset''.
      I adapted your quote in the respect that your assertion in the context of players is essentially identical to a means of improving and retaining the status of the asset.

Surely this is a priority of any entrepreneur in any time context if the asset is to succeed over an extended period.

Quick Reply