Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Is it bad to have stand out players now.

Read 2444 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Is it bad to have stand out players now.
      Apr 10, 2015 01:11:52 pm
      I remember a time when some teams had standout players and did well, but for Liverpool it hasn't been that way.  We won the Champions League with barely any strikers and it seems like having a stand out striker costs us in the long run because when they leave due to us not adding equal quality others don't want to stay. . When Torres left, we lost a bunch of other players right after and now Suares left people are sniffing around what's left and they won't renew.  Maybe we should be buying a team of players as good as Henderson,  Coutinho and Sterling to keep them here... but not another Suarez type world class player because when they get tempted away we'll lose half our squad again. I'm saying no average players with a couple of greats and an excellent player, we need a group of players that are good that nobody stands out to improve teamwork.  I'm not convinced by Rodgers signings as they haven't brought balance to the team I'd hoped for.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Re: Is it bad to have stand out players now.
      Reply #1: Apr 10, 2015 01:25:33 pm
      We have always had stand out players  its never harmed us before  and shouldnt be now , every top team has stand out players  you should build around them thats where we have failed .We did have stand out players in istanbull  unless of course you think Stevie was run of the mill
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2: Apr 10, 2015 01:36:19 pm
      Difference before was we had many many stand out players, in recent years we have got 2 or 3.

Pre 90's, we had a team of stand out players.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #3: Apr 10, 2015 01:38:14 pm
      I remember a time when some teams had standout players and did well, but for Liverpool it hasn't been that way.  We won the Champions League with barely any strikers and it seems like having a stand out striker costs us in the long run because when they leave due to us not adding equal quality others don't want to stay. . When Torres left, we lost a bunch of other players right after and now Suares left people are sniffing around what's left and they won't renew.  Maybe we should be buying a team of players as good as Henderson,  Coutinho and Sterling to keep them here... but not another Suarez type world class player because when they get tempted away we'll lose half our squad again. I'm saying no average players with a couple of greats and an excellent player, we need a group of players that are good that nobody stands out to improve teamwork.  I'm not convinced by Rodgers signings as they haven't brought balance to the team I'd hoped for.

Very weird post TBH.
      We've always had stand out players in our successful years. Now we have none. And so we aren't successful.

Your comment about not buying top players is like saying "I'll never go on a date, in case she leaves me some day".

If we don't buy top players, we won't win things. And we won't have the regional, nationwide and international fans or the revenue that they give. In short, Lpool will die cease to exist as anything more than a parochial little local club with the odd day tripping grand-dad failing to convince his grandson to support "the storied brand that was once the great Liverpool".

Football is about people. Have the best people, and you are the best team, the best instution.
      Become a selling team (I wont even use the phrase "club" because we are no longer a football club thanks to the tw*ts) and you are nothing, just also rans.

Many fans have jacked it in to be replaced by fans drawn in by the pr guff. Especially on the Net.
      But this really is a crisis time. If I walked away tomorrow, I can't say I would miss the parody that used to be Liverpool Football Club.

You can't build a good team with all average players. You need leaders, entertainers, goalscorers, heroes. Thats what ALL our good teams were about. Whether it was the Shankly, Paisley, Rafa, Ged, Fagan, even the Suarez era.

Refuse to do that and we are simply an Everton or a Villa or a Newcastle, just with bigger rip off ticket prices.

Liverpool FC? Or Downsize Brand Ltd?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4: Apr 10, 2015 01:42:52 pm
      What I'm saying is we need a group of good players, but getting another world class player right now would help for a season or two but it would not be the best long term if we want to think about building a stable team.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #5: Apr 10, 2015 01:52:11 pm
      The problem is that matches are often deadlocks. Think of the times a stroke of Suarez genius changed a dismal 0-0 into a 2-0 win.

Our team isn't  badly balanced. Just like Spurs, Everton and the other Europa level teams.
      The teams ahead of us have real quality. We have an up and coming Raheem who is being treated disrespectfully. We have an injury prone Sturr. who hasn't shown it since Luis left.

The rest of the team is pretty average and none of the players would look out of place anywhere in the mid even lower part of the league.

Say our 1st 11 is worth 15m on average. Do you propose we buy 11 players worth 18m? Worth 21m?
      And replace the 15m players. How do you work out if the 21m players are better than the 15m ones?

Isn't it much easier to buy 3 world stars, sell 3 x 15m players and then see the improvement. Just like happened when players like Torres+Masch and Suarez etc arrived?

Its not even players leaving thats the biggest problem.
      The outrage is that every time a superstar leaves, we replace him with cheap sh*te. And the team does much worse.

Our big problem is that its an also ran set up with lots of average players. And no genuine quality.

The owners couldnt give a sh*t about a stable team. Its not what theyre here for. If we suddenly went from 11 solid players (today) to 11 "very good" ones, guess what, they'd wnat to sell all 11!

We need to face facts. Suarez went. We became utter sh*t. Because he was the difference.
      Likewise when Masch, Xabi and Nando went.

Likewise when Souness went. Or when Barnes and Rush faded. Same in every era.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #6: Apr 10, 2015 09:59:52 pm
      We have an up and coming Raheem who is being treated disrespectfully.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahah

Yea...HE's been treated disrespectfully.

Go home, you're drunk ;D
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #7: Apr 16, 2015 01:04:23 pm
      I agree with some of what your'e saying but i would argue Coutiho and Sterling will be up for PFA young player of the season and are standout players who would get into any of the top teams around europe.
      I do agree we dont have that international reckognised top quality of Alonso, Gerrard, Suarez, Torress in the squad but what we do have is a unit that so far against all odds has dragged us slowly upto 5th 4pts of last years champions. Alot comes down to luck,injuries mindset etc which at the start of the season we had the worst of all them things, but now i feel we've turned a corner and with one or two "standout additions" we can really challange for a title under BR.
      The main issue we have is players wanting to move on as they feel now more than ever we dont have a single worldclass player in the team unless we can buy some older say 27,28 year olds who have a reputation but fancy a move for example Dani Alves, Sami Kedhira both i feel would raise the profile and also give some youngsters a boost seeing that we can still get "big names" through the door. we fail to do that i think we might be in trouble and stay an average Europa side until we Click and the "kids" improve. we have some talent but its if we can keep them long enough to reep the rewards of their development

Quick Reply