Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Memphis Depay (PSV --> Manchester United)

Read 34291 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Memphis Depay (PSV)
      Reply #46: Apr 20, 2015 09:23:04 pm
      We'll be OK, MK Dons probably have a very similar player that is like 13 years old that we can get for under 100k.

Ian Ayre is all over it.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #47: Apr 20, 2015 09:26:33 pm
      We'll be OK, MK Dons probably have a very similar player that is like 13 years old that we can get for under 100k.

Ian Ayre is all over it.

Spurs will nab him ;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #48: Apr 20, 2015 09:36:31 pm
      The Dutch link will probably mean he goes to United unless we go against the grain and really pull out the stops but I doubt it as he is not from Southampton!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #49: Apr 21, 2015 12:58:56 pm
      agree with below he will go UTD if they want him as LVG is there and is a bigger name in football than Brendan. until we start to win things and stay consistant in CL no up and comming player will come to us unless they are going to walk into the team. we need older players who've won it all and just fancy a new challenge
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #50: Apr 21, 2015 01:34:35 pm
      Make it happen FSG...

Mignolet

Montoya - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno

Henderson - Can

Sterling - Coutinho - Depay

Sturridge

Subs: Ryan, Flanagan, Lovren, Lucas, Lallana, Ibe, Vietto
      Bier
      Reply #51: Apr 21, 2015 02:24:14 pm
      Looking even less likely now, apparently Bayern want him too, and really tried getting him already last summer when he decided to stay one more year with PSV.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #52: Apr 21, 2015 02:54:21 pm
      Need Kuyt & Babel to have words with the lad.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #53: Apr 21, 2015 03:07:37 pm
      Dutch journalist Marcel van der Kraan says Liverpool are currently the only club in "official talks" for the player

He explained: "The question still is will he go to Man U or Liverpool? Liverpool so far have the strongest contact with the club, they are in official talks - the board of PSV told us that.

"But then Man U first phone call last week made all the alarm bells go off, not just with PSV but with Depay because he will find his former manager there.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-official-talks-psv-forward-9088374
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #54: Apr 21, 2015 03:47:21 pm
      Looking even less likely now, apparently Bayern want him too, and really tried getting him already last summer when he decided to stay one more year with PSV.

No reputable journalists are saying Bayern. Just peeps on Twitter and it originated from The Oranje twitter account originally which is just a fans account.
      Bier
      Reply #55: Apr 21, 2015 03:53:27 pm
      No reputable journalists are saying Bayern. Just peeps on Twitter and it originated from The Oranje twitter account originally which is just a fans account.

Not true. It stems from this article: http://www.ed.nl/sport/voetbal/psv/ook-bayern-m%C3%BCnchen-heeft-oogje-op-memphis-depay-video-1.4870876

That's the local newspaper for PSV's city, written by one of the most reliable PSV journalists, Rik Elfrink. The article states that Bayern showed concrete interest last summer, and made several attempts. They are expected to come back for him.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #56: Apr 21, 2015 04:33:03 pm
      Not true. It stems from this article: http://www.ed.nl/sport/voetbal/psv/ook-bayern-m%C3%BCnchen-heeft-oogje-op-memphis-depay-video-1.4870876

That's the local newspaper for PSV's city, written by one of the most reliable PSV journalists, Rik Elfrink. The article states that Bayern showed concrete interest last summer, and made several attempts. They are expected to come back for him.

My bad. Well, that's us out of the equation then.

They are probably looking at Sterling/Depay to take over Robben/Ribery's roles long term.
      Bier
      Reply #57: Apr 21, 2015 04:50:18 pm
      My bad. Well, that's us out of the equation then.

They are probably looking at Sterling/Depay to take over Robben/Ribery's roles long term.

Yeah, but even with Bayern pursuing him, I still think he'll most likely end up at the mancs. Hope he surprises me.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #58: Apr 21, 2015 04:57:39 pm
      Yeah, but even with Bayern pursuing him, I still think he'll most likely end up at the mancs. Hope he surprises me.

I honestly have a feeling he will not end up at Old Trafford (the LVG link is just lazy journalism).

We have reportedly scouted him extensively, seem to be the only ones in real talks with PSV and appear to have a good relationship with his agent. I do wonder if PSV are just drumming up more interest in a hope of increasing his price.

The media are also pointing to interest from previous windows (Spurs and Bayern) - it appears to me that United, PSG and Liverpool are the only real contenders at this stage.
      Bier
      Reply #59: Apr 21, 2015 05:26:05 pm
      I honestly have a feeling he will not end up at Old Trafford (the LVG link is just lazy journalism).

We have reportedly scouted him extensively, seem to be the only ones in real talks with PSV and appear to have a good relationship with his agent. I do wonder if PSV are just drumming up more interest in a hope of increasing his price.

I don't think the LvG thing is lazy journalism, they have a very good relationship. They didn't need to scout him because they know him already. But it's not just him, his assistant Stuivenberg also has a good relationship with Depay, he was his manager with the under 17 Dutch team, they won the European Championship together. On top of that, Van Gaal has a good relationship with PSV's DoF, Marcel Brands. He was DoF at AZ when Van Gaal was manager there. I don't think being the first or only in talks right now really says anything, especially considering there's already been talks with other clubs in january and before that. They've made an enquiry about Depay only just last week, it's still only April. There's going to be a bunch of clubs talking to Depay soon enough.

As far as I understand Depay decides, and not the highest transfer fee. PSV expect to be able to make the transfer fee work with the club that Depay wants. But they might well be drumming up interest, but it might well be Depay himself drumming up interest. He seems to be enjoying the attention and speculation.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #60: Apr 21, 2015 05:33:46 pm
      I don't think being the first or only in talks right now really says anything

Yeah I know. I wanted to get excited with those links but I find it hard to see us really signing Depay
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #61: Apr 21, 2015 06:54:14 pm
      I don't think the LvG thing is lazy journalism, they have a very good relationship. They didn't need to scout him because they know him already. But it's not just him, his assistant Stuivenberg also has a good relationship with Depay, he was his manager with the under 17 Dutch team, they won the European Championship together. On top of that, Van Gaal has a good relationship with PSV's DoF, Marcel Brands. He was DoF at AZ when Van Gaal was manager there. I don't think being the first or only in talks right now really says anything, especially considering there's already been talks with other clubs in january and before that. They've made an enquiry about Depay only just last week, it's still only April. There's going to be a bunch of clubs talking to Depay soon enough.

As far as I understand Depay decides, and not the highest transfer fee. PSV expect to be able to make the transfer fee work with the club that Depay wants. But they might well be drumming up interest, but it might well be Depay himself drumming up interest. He seems to be enjoying the attention and speculation.

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know the connection Depay had with Van Gaal and his assistant too.

I guess CL football and Van Gaal would be more tempting than what we could offer him right now. But like you say, it seems Depay will be the one who decides his future which is great to hear (his agent seems pretty decent too).
      Bier
      Reply #62: Apr 21, 2015 09:20:50 pm
      Reliable Dutch journalist, Thijs Slegers, saying Depay's been to Paris, to talk to PSG. The rest of the article says the mancs want him too, and the fee is no problem for them. And then it says that we, Liverpool, also want to take part, but that we're surrounded by insecurities.

Not sure what that means, maybe money related, or we're stalling and waiting for something?

Either way, seems up to Depay to give the green light to a club. This might be wrapped soon.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #63: Apr 22, 2015 12:23:11 am
      Reliable Dutch journalist, Thijs Slegers, saying Depay's been to Paris, to talk to PSG. The rest of the article says the mancs want him too, and the fee is no problem for them. And then it says that we, Liverpool, also want to take part, but that we're surrounded by insecurities.

Not sure what that means, maybe money related, or we're stalling and waiting for something?

Either way, seems up to Depay to give the green light to a club. This might be wrapped soon.

Great bit of information that.

Just had a read through Google translate and it appears that PSG have held talks as you say and Manchester United seem interested and don't really need to scout him as such. Looks like he could be headed for United by what I've read off that site.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #64: Apr 22, 2015 09:14:39 am
      Echo reporting the Depay links is a bit interesting. But haven't we been in 'official' talks more than once and then bummed out, either by the player or by competition. Mkhitaryan, Willian, Gylfi, Kono, Salah, Sanchez.. phew, didn't realize the list would be this big.

Like others say, I don't really see us signing Depay. The Immobile links seem more realistic and there were some quotes from Di Marzio as well.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #65: Apr 22, 2015 09:26:20 am
      Echo reporting the Depay links is a bit interesting. But haven't we been in 'official' talks more than once and then bummed out, either by the player or by competition. Mkhitaryan, Willian, Gylfi, Kono, Salah, Sanchez.. phew, didn't realize the list would be this big.

Like others say, I don't really see us signing Depay. The Immobile links seem more realistic and there were some quotes from Di Marzio as well.

Paradoxically our transfer committee's involvement is the kiss of death to any prospective deal.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #66: Apr 22, 2015 09:52:01 am
      Paradoxically our transfer committee's involvement is the kiss of death to any prospective deal.

Haha unfortunately you are right Stuey!

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #67: Apr 22, 2015 10:17:14 am
      This is a non-starter.  Why would he come to us? 

If the Mancs are interested we've got no chance.  They can offer him CL football, higher wages, a manager he has worked with in the past and who speaks his native language, etc etc.

We can't offer any of that.

This is never going to happen.

We need to fix the problems at the club first before we go buying any more players.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #68: Apr 22, 2015 10:20:05 am

What's this about Immobile?

He had one good season in Italy and then somehow engineered a move to Dortmund. I certainly hope we don't seriously go for him as there are far better than him about.

Quick Reply