Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?

Read 28676 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?
      Reply #161: Apr 20, 2015 05:17:59 am
      Most deflating thing  is that we seem to be an x number of players away from being able to challange.

I would be interested to hear what this number is from Brendan we seem to be embarking on a transition period every year, I do feel he has been let down by more experienced and established players he brought in this year (Lallana, Lovren and Balotelli to an extent)

Either way 3 years in the seat and many millions spent with no sliverware to show it just could be the straw to break the camels back.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #162: Apr 20, 2015 10:34:36 am
      I genuinely don't think the owners put anywhere near as much stock in winning trophies as we do. I personally imagine that yesterday happened and it hardly registers with anyone at fsg that we lost in our second cup semi of the season.. I think that they will see going deep into competitions as much as a plus for the manager as actually winning them.. They won't have had their weeks ruined by the loss or having it as their last thought last night or their first this morning like we have no doubt all have.

It's all about the bottom line for them, not winning things.. If winning things generates more cash then they are happy, but certainly domestic trophies which should and do mean the world to us, simply don't have the financial rewards to get them interested.

I think that the loss yesterday and the failure to win the FA cup won't have any impact on their thought process over the manager.. I don't think for a second they are considering sacking him at the moment. The odd bit of bickering over the manager between the fans won't matter to them, they are too far removed and take too little interest in the day to day activities to worry about if a certain percentage don't like him or want someone new to replace him.. As long as Anfield still sells out which it will they won't let be bothered really about what the fans think.

What matters to them is the bottom line

Six months or so ago Werner said that CL qualification wasn't imperative to the progress of the football club[something along that line] and we will continue to grow no matter with off field deals and stadium improvements.
      Now I'm sure that in an ideal world they want CL.. But what they ultimately want is a steady bottom line.. If CL football meant more spending and more on the annual wage bill as opposed to finish just outside and keeping where we are financially I'm not sure they would want to push the boat out.
       To bring in an extra x million but to spend and extra z million to stay there? If Z is higher than X then I can't see the frantic want to see us really push the boat out to achieve it.
      So as much as we want to really push on, if the figures don't support the end then they won't be desperate for us to do so.. And if that 'gamble' means also shelling out 12-15 million on sacking Brendan and his staff in compensation?

I bet it's not in their thoughts to sack him.
      The only thing that may sway those thoughts are if we fall off a cliff this season and lose the last 6 and finish with a real whimper but even then..

So to the original question..

Does Brendan need a trophy? For you and me yes but for FSG? No he doesn't
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #163: Apr 20, 2015 10:39:40 am
      I genuinely don't think the owners put anywhere near as much stock in winning trophies as we do. I personally imagine that yesterday happened and it hardly registers with anyone at fsg that we lost in our second cup semi of the season.. I think that they will see going deep into competitions as much as a plus for the manager as actually winning them.. They won't have had their weeks ruined by the loss or having it as their last thought last night or their first this morning like we have no doubt all have.

It's all about the bottom line for them, not winning things.. If winning things generates more cash then they are happy, but certainly domestic trophies which should and do mean the world to us, simply don't have the financial rewards to get them interested.

I think that the loss yesterday and the failure to win the FA cup won't have any impact on their thought process over the manager.. I don't think for a second they are considering sacking him at the moment. The odd bit of bickering over the manager between the fans won't matter to them, they are too far removed and take too little interest in the day to day activities to worry about if a certain percentage don't like him or want someone new to replace him.. As long as Anfield still sells out which it will they won't let be bothered really about what the fans think.

What matters to them is the bottom line

Six months or so ago Werner said that CL qualification wasn't imperative to the progress of the football club[something along that line] and we will continue to grow no matter with off field deals and stadium improvements.
      Now I'm sure that in an ideal world they want CL.. But what they ultimately want is a steady bottom line.. If CL football meant more spending and more on the annual wage bill as opposed to finish just outside and keeping where we are financially I'm not sure they would want to push the boat out.
       To bring in an extra x million but to spend and extra z million to stay there? If Z is higher than X then I can't see the frantic want to see us really push the boat out to achieve it.
      So as much as we want to really push on, if the figures don't support the end then they won't be desperate for us to do so.. And if that 'gamble' means also shelling out 12-15 million on sacking Brendan and his staff in compensation?

I bet it's not in their thoughts to sack him.
      The only thing that may sway those thoughts are if we fall off a cliff this season and lose the last 6 and finish with a real whimper but even then..

So to the original question..

Does Brendan need a trophy? For you and me yes but for FSG? No he doesn't

Spot on PD.
      FSG is about money - end of. They want us to be the new Arsenal (now that Arsenal is actually spending money to but better quality players). All they care about is money.

Quite frankly, Brendan has nothing to worry about. His job is secured until we the fans get really boisterous about it.

FSG *don't* care about trophies - only money rolling in.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #164: Apr 20, 2015 10:50:00 am
      Spot on PD.
      FSG is about money - end of. They want us to be the new Arsenal (now that Arsenal is actually spending money to but better quality players). All they care about is money.

Quite frankly, Brendan has nothing to worry about. His job is secured until we the fans get really boisterous about it.

FSG *don't* care about trophies - only money rolling in.

Just made exactly the same comment in another thread.
      Another trophyless term means absolutely F**k all to FSG.

Quick Reply