Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool 1:2 Aston Villa In game & post match "debate".

Read 37493 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Liverpool 1:2 Aston Villa In game & post match "debate".
      Apr 19, 2015 02:08:34 pm

Villa v Liverpool: The key FA Cup stats
      Liverpool face Aston Villa in their 24th FA Cup semi-final today at Wembley. Here are all of the key facts and figures on the showdown.

The Reds have won eight of their last nine FA Cup semi-finals and each of the last five since losing to Crystal Palace at Villa Park in 1990.

This is Liverpool's second semi-final at the 'new' Wembley. Three years ago they came from behind to beat Everton 2-1 with goals from Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll.

If Liverpool win they will reach their 15th FA Cup final - only Arsenal, who reached their 19th by beating Reading on Saturday - and Manchester United, with 18, have appeared in more.

In 1992 Liverpool beat Villa on the way to winning the Cup with a Michael Thomas goal settling the quarter-final tie at Anfield.

This is the first time Liverpool have reached this stage of the FA Cup by winning all four previous rounds away from home.

The teams have one win each in Premier League meetings this season. Gabriel Agbonlahor scored the only goal of the clash at Anfield in September while Liverpool won 2-0 at Villa Park in January with both Fabio Borini and substitute Rickie Lambert on the mark.

Steven Gerrard has scored 13 times against Villa in 26 appearances. Only Robbie Fowler, with 14, has ever scored more for the club against today's opponents.

Gerrard's next goal will see him move into outright fifth place on the club's all-time goalscorers list, overtaking Fowler's tally of 183.

No outfield player has played more minutes for Liverpool in the FA Cup this season than Philippe Coutinho, with 529.

Brendan Rodgers' last visit to Wembley as a manager saw his Swansea team win the Championship play-off final in 2011. Joe Allen and Borini were in the Swans team, as was Villa's Scott Sinclair, who scored a hat-trick, including two penalties.

The Reds have a 100 per cent record in penalty shootouts in the FA Cup winning all three - Portsmouth (1992), Birmingham (1995) and West Ham in the final in 2006.

They have won 12 of 15 shoot-outs in their history and have already faced two this season, in the League Cup against Middlesbrough - which they won - and at Besiktas, in a Europa League defeat.

Villa have lifted the FA Cup seven times - the same as Liverpool - but not since 1957, when they defeated Manchester United 2-1.

Villa's only FA Cup win over Liverpool came in 1897. They won 3-0 at Bramall Lane in the last four and went on to lift the trophy, defeating Everton in the final.

Their last semi-final came in 2010 when they lost 3-0 to Chelsea on this ground. Only Agbonlahor from the team that day remains at Villa Park.

This is the first time Villa have played away from Villa Park in the FA Cup this season.

Joe Cole scored five goals in 42 appearances during his three-year stay at Anfield, though he never appeared for the Reds in this competition. The former England midfielder played against Villa at this stage of the cup for Chelsea in 2010.

Christian Benteke has scored eight goals in his last six games after netting just three in his previous 21. He has scored all of his team's last six goals.

Tim Sherwood will take charge of Villa for the 11th time today. He has recorded five wins in the opening 10 games in charge.

Villa have not scored in any of their previous five FA Cup semi-finals. The last was scored by Billy Myerscough in a 1-0 replay win over West Bromwich Albion at St Andrew's in 1957.

They have scored 13 goals in the last seven games after netting 13 times in the previous 19 matches.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/183677-villa-v-liverpool-the-key-fa-cup-stats

Confimed Villa team:

Given, Bacuna, Baker, Vlaar, Richardson, Westwood, Delph (c), Cleverley, Grealish, N’Zogbia, Benteke

What's your opinions on the starting 11?

Come on you redmen!!  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      « Last Edit: Apr 19, 2015 06:09:57 pm by RedPuppy, Reason: Title amended. »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Liverpool vs Aston Villa Live Match Thread - FA Cup Semi Final
      Reply #1: Apr 19, 2015 02:10:50 pm
      Great OP IO.

The more I think the more I see 3 4 3.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #2: Apr 19, 2015 02:14:35 pm
      I like the team. I'd rather Can RB in a 4 than 3 at the back, but I have faith in both formations. Balotelli back in the squad.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3: Apr 19, 2015 02:15:40 pm
      Can't really have many complaints with the starting 11, hope we can get the game won in 90 minutes because I'm not sure Gerrard can go all out for 120 minutes. I'm quite confident for this game as long as the back 3 team up to take care of Benteke. Sometimes he has sh*t games against us but sometimes he has a worldy.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: Apr 19, 2015 02:16:41 pm
      Hope he doesn't play Henderson as RWB and prefer to have a striker up top as always, not feeling as confident now seeing that line up, but whatever, hope we'll win!

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5: Apr 19, 2015 02:17:14 pm
      Need to win this in the first 90, I agree with mcarz.

Mark Benteke and we should be ok I think.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6: Apr 19, 2015 02:18:26 pm
      I'm seeing a

Migs
                                               Can      Skrtel      Lovren
                                      Marko Henderson   Allen   Moreno
                                                  Gerrard      Couts
                                                          Sterling

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #7: Apr 19, 2015 02:18:53 pm
      Hope he doesn't play Henderson as RWB and prefer to have a striker up top as always, not feeling as confident now seeing that line up, but whatever, hope we'll win!

If Hendo is RWB I'll lose the plot I think.

Has to be Marlovic there if we go three at the back.

Gerrard/Phil behind Raheem.

I'm seeing a

Migs
                                                  Gerrard      Couts
                                                          Sterling

Moreno playing in the stands mate. ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Apr 19, 2015 02:18:56 pm

Unfortunately though Sturridge is injured, Borini and Lambert rarely play and, Balotelli has only just come back into the action. I agree with you with the RWB situation, I'm really hoping Henderson doesn't play there.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #9: Apr 19, 2015 02:19:52 pm
      If Hendo is RWB I'll lose the plot I think.

Has to be Marlovic there if we go three at the back.

Gerrard/Phil behind Raheem.

That's how I think we'll set up. We'll be punished if Stevie is playing DM with Allen.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #10: Apr 19, 2015 02:23:34 pm
      Seems strange 3 strikers on the bench and none on the pitch
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Apr 19, 2015 02:23:35 pm
      That's how I think we'll set up. We'll be punished if Stevie is playing DM with Allen.

I'm not so sure about this. With the loss of Lucas, I feel having Gerrard in midfield wouldn't be such a bad idea, with his experience and composure, he could keep us settled and possibly allow us to play more of a possession game.
      Sahara
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 19, 2015 02:23:54 pm
      Is Lucas injured?
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #13: Apr 19, 2015 02:24:58 pm
      I'm not so sure about this. With the loss of Lucas, I feel having Gerrard in midfield wouldn't be such a bad idea, with his experience and composure, he could keep us settled and possibly allow us to play more of a possession game.

Agreed. Gerrard and Allen as a double pivot compliment each other. Allen's approach to the defensive side of the game involves lots of energy. Gerrard can read a game well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #14: Apr 19, 2015 02:25:08 pm
      Seems strange 3 strikers on the bench and none on the pitch

Not when you see who those strikers are mate and what they've done this season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #15: Apr 19, 2015 02:25:35 pm

Just woke up then.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #16: Apr 19, 2015 02:25:55 pm
      I'm seeing a

Migs
                                                  Gerrard      Couts
                                                          Sterling

Me too and it doesn't look too bad.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17: Apr 19, 2015 02:26:27 pm

It's when we're having to defend and Gerrard is in there that he struggles. He struggles to track back as much now and it'd mean they're running right at our defence.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #18: Apr 19, 2015 02:28:02 pm
      It's when we're having to defend and Gerrard is in there that he struggles. He struggles to track back as much now and it'd mean they're running right at our defence.
      Allen is good defensively though. A Lucas Gerrard double pivot has failed because neither are high energy players - an Allen Gerrard midfield doesn't have this weakness (in the same way the Lucas Henderson partnership is so good)
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #19: Apr 19, 2015 02:28:04 pm
      I like that team a lot, I really hope Coutinho plays most of the game in a central area though, he's wasted having to play so wid, kind of gets a bit isolated and can't influence the game as much as he should.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #20: Apr 19, 2015 02:28:09 pm
      As long as Hendo isn't wing back that's probably our best team to put out for this one. Got to find another gear though today, if we play like we've done in the last few weeks Villa might do us here.

Going for a 1-0 win, Coutinho winner again.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #21: Apr 19, 2015 02:30:56 pm
      Proper nervous about this one
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #22: Apr 19, 2015 02:31:54 pm
      Good luck Stevie & co, rev them up m8