Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your thoughts on Brendan Rodgers (Poll: 28th April 2015)

He should stay as LFC manager
      69 (40.6%)
      He should be sacked
      26 (15.3%)
      He should be sacked ONLY if we can get Jürgen Klopp/Frank de Boer
      47 (27.6%)
      I'm sitting on the fence
      28 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Voting closed: May 02, 2015 11:31:41 pm

Stick or Twist: Part 2

Read 18392 times
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Re: Stick or Twist: Part 2
      Reply #115: Apr 30, 2015 12:53:13 pm
      I am sure Rodgers will be a top Manager one day, but it might be too late for Liverpool I think.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #116: Apr 30, 2015 12:54:26 pm
      Of those mentioned, only Sturridge and Sakho could be counted as undisputed first-team players, even though Sakho was benched numerous times without being injured.

Come on we are lost without lucas mate and flanno was 1st team regular last season.

And ok gerrard has not been the same player for a while, but he has been our best player for over 16 years. Massive loss.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #117: Apr 30, 2015 01:05:07 pm
      How can people want him gone we are 5th after losing Suarez and pretty much Sturridge all season along with Sakho for most of it who is 1st choice defender nxt to Skrtel and had to play a 20yr old lad in a million different roles along with other players playing all over the place to fill injuries etc.

we got to a semi final and on the day lost to the better team, Yes he didnt spend the money well with ballotelli and lambert to replace suarez but he's learnt from it i hope and now reilises that he needs two,three top strikers who are fit so that should be the first place we strengthen in the summer. Evertons defenders may have scored more than our stirkes but there still behind us in the league and have played way more than our injury prone or benched forwards. to be fair we've pretty much played all season with no strikers. next season we buy a striker and play two up top and i'm sure we will be fine so people can stop panicking.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #118: Apr 30, 2015 01:17:12 pm
      How can people want him gone we are 5th after losing Suarez and pretty much Sturridge all season along with Sakho for most of it who is 1st choice defender nxt to Skrtel and had to play a 20yr old lad in a million different roles along with other players playing all over the place to fill injuries etc.

we got to a semi final and on the day lost to the better team, Yes he didnt spend the money well with ballotelli and lambert to replace suarez but he's learnt from it i hope and now reilises that he needs two,three top strikers who are fit so that should be the first place we strengthen in the summer. Evertons defenders may have scored more than our stirkes but there still behind us in the league and have played way more than our injury prone or benched forwards. to be fair we've pretty much played all season with no strikers. next season we buy a striker and play two up top and i'm sure we will be fine so people can stop panicking.

Slightly off topic but in relation to the highlighted section. In terms of Chelsea League cup semi, I'll accept that.

But I will not accept losing to Villa as a " on the day lost to the better team" kind of thing... these are relegation candidates... we should be beating them 10 times out of 10. Players motivation and team tactics were at majorly at fault
      « Last Edit: Apr 30, 2015 01:36:59 pm by JustMingle »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #119: Apr 30, 2015 01:32:47 pm

Any LFC Manager that gets schooled by Sherwood, Pulis and Fat Head on the bounce will have questions asked if he is good enough.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #120: Apr 30, 2015 01:38:59 pm
      I'd stick with him for one more year. Reason being that he's shown in the past he can change style, tactics and line up. He's been getting things very wrong for the past few weeks, but just because he's shown he can get us playing a very attacking, fast-paced and passing football, I think he's capable of this. The fact that some of the players he signed haven't fulfilled their potential but I believe they will come through means I think he should be given one more year to see if he can build on a settled team. I'm not talking about Balo, Lambert, Borini and Lovren, they have been failures, but I'm talking about Lallana, Moreno, Markovic who I think still can become top players.

We will probably finish 5th, which is not good enough for LFC but it reflects the reality of how good we've been, but we're not far off with a couple of key signings this summer. Changing manager now would be pointless unless you do a United and invest heavily, which we know we won't do. So why go through another year of transition and imbalance? Why not take a smaller risk on a little more quality in the team and stick with a manager who has shown he can challenge for the title with the right players?

In that sense, I'd stick with BR for now.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #121: Apr 30, 2015 01:49:02 pm
      Not having a go mate but when as fans did we start viewing top four as an achievement  first is an achievement anything else is nowhere, this top four notion is perhaps part of the problem the players should be aiming for first and fck all else should be good enough.
      Hence why he said top 4 and a cup. Getting a cup without top 4 isn't enough progress. And getting top 4 by itself isn't really an achievement.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #122: Apr 30, 2015 01:55:17 pm
      Any LFC Manager that gets schooled by Sherwood, Pulis and Fat Head on the bounce will have questions asked if he is good enough.

You just can't F***ing argue with that logic.

You have summed it all up perfectly
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #123: Apr 30, 2015 02:00:20 pm
      Hence why he said top 4 and a cup. Getting a cup without top 4 isn't enough progress. And getting top 4 by itself isn't really an achievement.

one appeases the owners and one appeases the fans...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #124: Apr 30, 2015 02:04:45 pm
      You just can't f**king argue with that logic.

Very true.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #125: Apr 30, 2015 02:12:01 pm
      I say stick, I don't believe you can win anything without consistency when you are not willing to splash the cash.

BUT........  I am fearful that Suarez made Rodgers look like a genius, we played a style of football that suited Suarez, his work rate was second to none and he took his chances.  Not sure we will see another player like that at Liverpool for a while and this season could have shown the world that it was not his tactics but the personnel.  Lets not forget that last year we were hemorrhaging goals, but always knew that we could score more. 

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #126: Apr 30, 2015 02:21:04 pm
      You just can't f**king argue with that logic.

Yes you can. Chelsea lost to Newcastle and Bradford, and drew at home to Burnley this season. I don't think Mourinho was "schooled", it happens, that's the nature of English football and it makes it interesting. I take nothing away from the argument that we should be putting these sh*t teams to bed, we've failed on that front, but...you get my point...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #127: Apr 30, 2015 02:21:22 pm
      Our defence perversly has improved this season, its been like thsi for years, if we have a good defence our attack is poor, if we have a good attack our defence is rotten.

Get these quality strikers in we need and we might have a chance next season, with or without BR.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #128: Apr 30, 2015 03:10:40 pm
      I choose 'He should be sacked ONLY if we can get Jürgen Klopp/Frank de Boer'. But I do not like Frank, so you me it is either Brendan Rodgers or Klopp.

To be honest, I prefer Klopp.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #129: Apr 30, 2015 05:47:27 pm
      I think he should start boycotting press conferences and shut the F**k up generally. Stop trying to be so clever and he might be alright.
      But still, I have had to have £10 on QPR at 8-1, after £10 on Hull at 3-1 and Villa in the semi, so despite the misery of this season, you can still make a few quid.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #130: Apr 30, 2015 06:41:18 pm
      I think he should start boycotting press conferences and shut the F**k up generally. Stop trying to be so clever and he might be alright.
      But still, I have had to have £10 on QPR at 8-1, after £10 on Hull at 3-1 and Villa in the semi, so despite the misery of this season, you can still make a few quid.

I could never bet against Liverpool, what ever the odds.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #131: Apr 30, 2015 06:58:01 pm
      I've voted sack him but only if we get Klopp/DeB
      Because ultimately LFC should ALWAYS have minimum stds.

But that isn't the full story. Because my 1st choice is Rafa then various others.

Also sacking BR would be treating the symptoms but not the disease.

If BR stayed on another 2yrs and we were wallowing in sh*te, atleast it would wake up more fans to the fact Shamway were bumming us at every opportunity.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #132: Apr 30, 2015 08:05:47 pm
      I (just about) think we should stick with Brendan.

The fact that Klopp is available NOW is tempting, I've got to admit.
      If we could persuade him to sign on til christmas until we give BR another 6 months that would be about ideal haha.

Oh F**k it, stick with Brendan.
      For 6 months last year we played the best football we've played in 25 years.
      The other 2 1/2 years of his tenure we've been ordinary, but there's just about enough extenuating circumstances to stick with him.

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #133: Apr 30, 2015 08:32:42 pm
      what do people think Brendan will do if given next season to change things around?

the more i actually think about it, the less reasons i can make for him to be given the backing/spending to do something to get back to the sort of form we showed last season and knowing that Klopp is available could be an opportunity to good to miss

it seems we all have simular concerns:

ability to make good signings
      ability to attract marquee players
      signing players who never touch the pitch  obviously not good enough
      ability to address the on field issues
      questions if he has lost the dressing room
      lack of experience

on a positive note:
      he seems like a good fella
      last season was one of the best seasons i can remember
      give coutinho and sterling
      last season was fantastic
      and wants to play attacking football

someone help me understand why Rodgers is the best fit for us and should be given money to address the past transfer windows mistakes
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #134: Apr 30, 2015 08:55:27 pm
      I voted keep him but as I've attempted to explain before, the issues at the club run far deeper than a manager making mistakes. The key problem is to do with how we conduct ourselves in negotiations. We spend our time umming and arring over a million here or there, offering the player incentivised contracts with all sorts of conditions to meet before they earn what they want, dragging out negotiations to the point their agent gets pissed off and starts touting their client around other clubs, only for them to offer the player what he wants and us to end up loosing out. It happens time and again under FSG's ownership and until that changes, we won't sign the players we need to be a successful club once more.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #135: Apr 30, 2015 09:09:55 pm
      mate of mine is a manc and hates BR because hes frightened he will turn us into title winners again.
      good enough for me . Stick
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #136: Apr 30, 2015 09:11:27 pm
      I voted keep him but as I've attempted to explain before, the issues at the club run far deeper than a manager making mistakes. The key problem is to do with how we conduct ourselves in negotiations. We spend our time umming and arring over a million here or there, offering the player incentivised contracts with all sorts of conditions to meet before they earn what they want, dragging out negotiations to the point their agent gets pissed off and starts touting their client around other clubs, only for them to offer the player what he wants and us to end up loosing out. It happens time and again under FSG's ownership and until that changes, we won't sign the players we need to be a successful club once more.

I agree that there are deeper issues too - the Gerrard and Sterling contract wriggles highlight this as well as alot of the drawn out signings and missed signings  - and these are just the ones we know about
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #137: Apr 30, 2015 09:47:39 pm
      I could never bet against Liverpool, what ever the odds.

Me neither mate I would be ashamed of myself.

Quick Reply