Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

25 Years since last League Title

Read 5262 times
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 2,002 posts | 223 
      25 Years since last League Title
      Apr 28, 2015 08:56:02 pm
      25 Years today the last time we won the league

the way we are going i don't think i will see them lift it again in my life time been supporting Pool since the mid 70s.
      if any one here had told me back then the last time we lifted it, that we would not win it for the next 25 years and more i would of laughed in your face and called you a Looney Tune and given a call to Maudsley Hospital to get you Admitted  :mad:

we will always be a step or two behind Chelsea and city has we can not afford to make mistakes in the transfer market, if they make mistake they just go out and get some one else.

you never know one day a mull-ti billionaire might buy our club
      « Last Edit: Apr 29, 2015 10:36:47 am by JD »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: 25 Years
      Reply #1: Apr 28, 2015 11:24:08 pm
      Some wouldn't want that, as we would be a "financially doped squad", "buying a league".

Remember the day well, it was only a matter of time before we won No. 19. Then Souness arrived and took a JCB to the squad.

So it's still only a matter of time.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,333 posts | 281 
      Reply #2: Apr 28, 2015 11:45:37 pm
      Bloody hell I remember that as if it was yesterday, didn't Steve Nicol win a penalty for Johnny Barnes to slot home. That killed me last year not winning it, call me soft, call me mard but that still haunts me each day. I want us to win it not just be called champions but for the generation of fans probably under 35's who've never experienced it.
      I know it's not life or death but when you love your club so much it hurts to see us fail.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #3: Apr 29, 2015 12:02:11 am
      Worst part is, we HAVE had the players to win it.

Reina
      Johnson/other
      Leftback
      Agger
      Centreback
      Mascherano
      Alonso
      Gerrard
      Torres/quality replacement.
      Suarez
      Sturridge?/another.

Manager- Rafa or Kenny.

All at the club in the last few yrs.
      With a little depth, that team would have WALKED the league.

I really see no reason whatsoever why we are likely to win it in the NEXT TWENTY FIVE years.
      UNLESS there are some RADICAL changes.

:mad: :f_steam:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #4: Apr 29, 2015 08:12:31 am
      Bloody hell I remember that as if it was yesterday, didn't Steve Nicol win a penalty for Johnny Barnes to slot home. That killed me last year not winning it, call me soft, call me mard but that still haunts me each day. I want us to win it not just be called champions but for the generation of fans probably under 35's who've never experienced it.
      I know it's not life or death but when you love your club so much it hurts to see us fail.
      Well summed up
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      Reply #5: Apr 29, 2015 08:13:55 am
      Know what's even more depressing?

The munts went 26 years without winning the league title, and we're on 25 and nowhere near winning it next season

What have we done to anger the footballing gods so much!? :f_steam:

EDIT: Apart from buying sub standard players for the most part
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Apr 29, 2015 08:14:13 am
      Very sad. I remember it well too. one of my fave LFC teams the late 80's.

Think postive lads, as we have been saying for the past 25 summers, we only need 3/4 players and we have a chance. ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Apr 29, 2015 08:53:24 am
      Very sad. I remember it well too. one of my fave LFC teams the late 80's.

Think postive lads, as we have been saying for the past 25 summers, we only need 3/4 players and we have a chance. ;D

And the poblem being, even before the last two set of owners, the players were only 3/4 of the quality needed.  Really wonder if we hadn't come so close lasst season, if the vitriol would be as bad as it currently is and if the current owners are getting the full brunt of two and a half decades of not quite good enough football decisions.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 673 posts | 87 
      Reply #8: Apr 29, 2015 10:29:10 am
      At least there have been some successess along the way:
      92 FA Cup
      95 League Cup
      01 FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup, Super Cup
      03 League Cup
      05 European Cup
      06 FA Cup
      12 League Cup
      Fans of teams like Spurs, Newcastle, Everton and Villa would love to have won just a quarter of these trophies.  That said the league title should be our number one priority every season and we ain't gonna win it dropping points every season to the likes of Hull, WBA, Sunderland, West Ham and Newcastle.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6731 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #9: Apr 29, 2015 10:59:21 am
      I don't want to sound like an idiot and I hope I don't offend anyone so abit apprehensive about saying this...but here goes ....
      It's been 26 years since that terrible day where we lost 96 Beautiful Souls...it's been 25 years since we last won the Title..it's been grating in my head the last couple of months whether there is some sort of correlation there, I just haven't had the guts to say anything until I saw this thread.

I honestly started questioning God (No not Robbie) after Stevie slipped and I'm questioning him in regards to the correlation I mentioned above.

Hope I haven't offended anyone? Sorry if I have.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #10: Apr 29, 2015 11:15:48 am
      At least there have been some successess along the way:
      92 FA Cup
      95 League Cup
      01 FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup, Super Cup
      03 League Cup
      05 European Cup
      06 FA Cup
      12 League Cup
      Fans of teams like Spurs, Newcastle, Everton and Villa would love to have won just a quarter of these trophies.  That said the league title should be our number one priority every season and we ain't gonna win it dropping points every season to the likes of Hull, WBA, Sunderland, West Ham and Newcastle.

The reason we haven't become an Everton or a Spurs is because of our expectation level, not accepting that those trophies will do

The problems and disappointments  in the last few seasons have been that we won't accept 6th, 7th or 8th in the league..

Expectation creates pressure and rightly so that pressure is always on the club.. Trophies matter... Competing matters..
      Start thinking like a mid table nothing club and we will become one.. I personally won't accept that

I hate this thought process that's slipping through football which is perpetuated by our owners that domestic trophies don't matter and simply qualifying for the CL is more important than anything.. They need to think again.. F**k pride, f**k preconceived ideas of how they can reinvent the wheel within football.. Get the right people in the right positions and let's not make it 26 years or 30 years or whatever

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: 25 Years since last League Title
      Reply #11: Apr 29, 2015 12:03:07 pm
      The reason we haven't become an Everton or a Spurs is because of our expectation level, not accepting that those trophies will do

The problems and disappointments  in the last few seasons have been that we won't accept 6th, 7th or 8th in the league..

Expectation creates pressure and rightly so that pressure is always on the club.. Trophies matter... Competing matters..
      Start thinking like a mid table nothing club and we will become one.. I personally won't accept that

I hate this thought process that's slipping through football which is perpetuated by our owners that domestic trophies don't matter and simply qualifying for the CL is more important than anything.. They need to think again.. F**k pride, f**k preconceived ideas of how they can reinvent the wheel within football.. Get the right people in the right positions and let's not make it 26 years or 30 years or whatever

Agree Jon and us one reason why pressure seems to be mounting so much on Brendan when we are till 5th which the likes of Everton, Spurs etc would be satisfied with.

We expect to win things.

We haven't done since Kenny took us to Wembley 3 years ago.
      « Last Edit: Apr 29, 2015 12:21:43 pm by srslfc »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #12: Apr 29, 2015 12:20:37 pm
      Agree Jon and us one reason why pressure seems to be mounting so much on Brendan when we are till 5th which the likes of Everton, Spurs etc would be satisfied with.

We expext to win things.

We haven't some since Kenny took us to Wembley 3 years ago.

We've won one trophy in nearly a decade mate and that boils my piss.. I absolutely hate that the people of power and dripped into some of the fans don't really care about certain competitions.

You're right though.. 5th isn't good enough and that's why there is pressure.. I'll never accept mediocrity
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #13: Apr 29, 2015 12:22:03 pm
      We've won one trophy in nearly a decade mate and that boils my piss.. I absolutely hate that the people of power and dripped into some of the fans don't really care about certain competitions.

You're right though.. 5th isn't good enough and that's why there is pressure.. I'll never accept mediocrity

Agree.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Apr 29, 2015 12:48:17 pm
      I don't want to sound like an idiot and I hope I don't offend anyone so abit apprehensive about saying this...but here goes ....
      It's been 26 years since that terrible day where we lost 96 Beautiful Souls...it's been 25 years since we last won the Title..it's been grating in my head the last couple of months whether there is some sort of correlation there, I just haven't had the guts to say anything until I saw this thread.

I honestly started questioning God (No not Robbie) after Stevie slipped and I'm questioning him in regards to the correlation I mentioned above.

That's a good point really. Strange,  Maybe the ominous cloud has been over us because of how terrible that was for everyone. Instead of football just being about the event and fun perhaps it became about paying tribute or playing for those lost. Big pressure added, straight there.
      Don't fret I'd say, you're allowed to mention it and wonder about things.

I was writing something myself then scanned up for a bit and noticed your post so I'll paste mine in now.

We've suffered, Liverpool fans have been used to the pinnacles of achievement. It's been a long long time.
      Times changed, other fans of well less successful teams still seem to have a magnificent time supporting their less glamorous side.
      My point is, I've enjoyed so many moments in those 25 years and it is what it is, I feel bad for me, the supporters and the City that Liverpool hasn't managed to cement it's dominance in that era.
      We have had major successes but not as often as we have known or the main one; the league.
      I'm not doing philosophy here, it's my quick look back and I do remember the devastating feelings vividly on constantly being not good enough, I haven't blanked it.
      What sticks out more is all the amazing football, talented players and various managers exciting brands of football along the way.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15: Apr 29, 2015 12:48:26 pm
      And the poblem being, even before the last two set of owners, the players were only 3/4 of the quality needed.  Really wonder if we hadn't come so close lasst season, if the vitriol would be as bad as it currently is and if the current owners are getting the full brunt of two and a half decades of not quite good enough football decisions.

Well documented as stated in the 1st thread it all started with Kenny leaving after he was mentally drained after the hillsbourough tragedy.

then souness ripped apart a title winning team, instead just adding a few quality players, with the space of 2/3 seasons we has an average squad.

we picked up under Roy Evans, he just could not sort out a decent defence (bit like BR last season).

Then GH got us close he built a smashing squad (awesoem treble season & 2nd), then he lost the plot and decided senagal players were LFc quality ffs.

Then rafa turned that squad into European champions, but then came the dark days of G+H, we recovered from that with currect owners to not go bankrupt, but now we are expecting more from them as we came close last season.

We shall see what the future holds.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      Reply #16: Apr 29, 2015 02:32:22 pm

I know what you mean, but I think the explanation might be a bit more down to earth than that

That group/squad of players saw people die that day, and that kind of thing affects you long term. Death is like that; especially if you're not used to seeing death. Especially if you witness the horrid circumstances surrounding those deaths. I honestly think it would have messed me up something chronic, and football would have been the last thing on my mind.

My point is, that was the end of that. Those players (even Kenny), would never be the same again. Long term they'd learn to live with it, but short term, call it the desire or the will going out of the club, but since the 96 (RIP) passed on, we've never been the same since.

I think in a way, that's how it should be too. Fitting
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #17: Apr 29, 2015 02:35:40 pm
      How far we've been left behind, eh? We failed to adjust to and anticipate the modernity of the Premier League in the 90s and we're still lagging behind.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #18: Apr 29, 2015 02:43:20 pm
      27 years old. Never experienced Liverpool winning the league. Too young to remember the last time.

Starting to worry that I'll never see Liverpool win the league.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #19: Apr 29, 2015 04:59:19 pm
      I'd follow the club if we went down to the conference. But yes, the winning ways are drying up. Under Rafa and Kenny, I believe we would continue to win pots. Under Brendan? I don't believe we will. They already had the winning mentality. What's Brendan won to date?
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 2,002 posts | 223 
      Reply #20: Apr 29, 2015 06:41:48 pm

spot on
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #21: Apr 29, 2015 06:51:20 pm
      27 years old. Never experienced Liverpool winning the league. Too young to remember the last time.

At least you were on the planet mate a lot in here hadn't made the ball bag last time we did it .
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #22: Apr 29, 2015 07:00:40 pm
      Crikey. I was in my apprenticeship when that last occurred. Needs rectifying ASAP as we'd all like.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #23: Apr 29, 2015 07:23:13 pm
      it's been grating in my head the last couple of months whether there is some sort of correlation there

I think the only correlation is that what happened appeared to affect Dalglish significantly and not long after we lost one of our best ever managers and brought in one of our worst ever.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #24: Apr 29, 2015 07:26:40 pm

And then we have people on here banging on about top 4 over trophies.  No wonder we've gone backwards with some of our 'support' who don't realise that they now dream of just a different level of mediocrity.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #25: Apr 29, 2015 09:34:11 pm
      And then we have people on here banging on about top 4 over trophies.  No wonder we've gone backwards with some of our 'support' who don't realise that they now dream of just a different level of mediocrity.

Yep.

I actually think Brendan does understand the need for a trophy and I think he felt that pressure which resulted in him buckling against Villa.

He may not get the chance to rectify that.

His record in the cups is pretty dire but I do believe he understands the importance of silverware to most of the supporters.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #26: Apr 29, 2015 09:41:09 pm
      Yep.

I actually think Brendan does understand the need for a trophy and I think he felt that pressure which resulted in him buckling against Villa.

He may not get the chance to rectify that.

His record in the cups is pretty dire but I do believe he understands the importance of silverware to most of the supporters.

That's one thing about Rodgers he understands what LFC is all about, he understands the fans our history.

Just not sure he will ever win much trophies with us.

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #27: Apr 29, 2015 09:44:36 pm

for that to happen we need to either get new owners with better policies or get the yanks to change their policies and bring in Rafa Benitez give him what he needs to get the job done and then we'll start to see silverware and a title and some .Otherwise we're stuck in limbo with a manager who can't win anything because he's not good enough for Liverpool FC .

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #28: Apr 30, 2015 06:43:32 am

You're lucky, i'm 25.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #29: Apr 30, 2015 06:47:13 am
      We've won one trophy in nearly a decade

That's the cold light of day harsh reality check kick in the bollocks!

I'm 39 and remember those great title winning teams. We've been close a few times but we've never built on it and sustained the challenge.

That's why winning a trophy was so important for the club and manager this season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6731 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #30: Apr 30, 2015 09:36:33 am
      Broke my F***ing heart looking at FB and seeing a Headline that those Chav cu*ts were singing OUR song ...We're gonna win the League!

That was us singing that 12 months ago. :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah:
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #31: Apr 30, 2015 12:12:41 pm
      Makes you wonder what would've happened if Moores had've sold to the Arabs or the Russians and not the Americans...
      It's a f**king embarrassment to think that my club is now owned by a f**kin baseball club..
      The amount of money we have spent on players in that last 25 years is a crime in itself.....especially when the best two players came from Kirby and Huyton for free...

We will win the League title again... but not with Brendan Rodgers at the helm..
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 2,002 posts | 223 
      Reply #32: Apr 30, 2015 01:03:42 pm
      we have made to many mistakes over the years on transfers and we just can not afford to do that, manure, city and the Chavs when they f**k up on the transfer market they just go out and replace that mistake and we can not. we will always be 2-3 steps behind them, whats the solution i haven't got a clue apart from being owned by a billionaire with very deep pockets.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #33: Apr 30, 2015 01:54:53 pm
      Makes you wonder what would've happened if Moores had've sold to the Arabs or the Russians and not the Americans...
      It's a f**king embarrassment to think that my club is now owned by a f**kin baseball club..
      The amount of money we have spent on players in that last 25 years is a crime in itself.....especially when the best two players came from Kirby and Huyton for free...

We will win the League title again... but not with Brendan Rodgers at the helm..

The job simply came too soon for BR.

Quick Reply