Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Fan Protest--Questions from a Yank

Read 5359 times
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh
      • Started Topic

• 112 posts | 13 
      Re: Fan Protest--Questions from a Yank
      Reply #23: Apr 28, 2015 04:54:54 pm
      Is that true though?

I would have though the billions in TV money is a bigger factor in increased player wages

I would agree with this. I don't know for sure but I think that ticket revenue only makes up for 25% of team revenue for the NFL, maybe for the big teams even less, the big money is in endorsements and corporate partnerships.

I don't know if the salary cap is the answer. MLB has a salary cap but the also have a luxury tax. So the Yankees, always go over the salary cap, but have to pay a certain percentage of $$$ to MLB and maybe the other MLB teams that are over the salary cap. 

I have never really had a reason to question ticket prices here in the states but with all of this it really does make me wonder about things...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #24: Apr 28, 2015 05:03:22 pm
      It's shocking what certain clubs expect their travelling supporters to pay.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #25: Apr 28, 2015 05:38:18 pm
      As well as the soaring cost I think the problem is that prices are not standardised.  I think I read somewhere that when Stoke fans went to Hull they paid £15, Everton fans paid £35 and Liverpool fans are now expected to pay £50.

Seems quite wrong that different sets of fans have to pay different amounts to witness the magic of Hull City's football.

Atmosphere's at football grounds are dire enough these days.  Imagine it without any away fans to at least try to create an atmosphere.  I think £20 for every PL away ticket is hardly going to break the bank of these clubs rolling in with a combined £3,000,000,000 per year.

I agree, tickets should be standardized.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #26: May 01, 2015 01:44:23 pm
      Firstly great topic!

i will echo what most have said below the fact of the matter is premier league clubs make a bucket from TV rights and yet you cant legally sit down and watch your team play every game on TV only certain games are on. Now that money goes into the big warchest of the EPL who then share it out to the clubs. Clubs are run as a business so they see this as more money into the business or towards transferes etc which is fine but they dont consider the fact that if fans stop going to the game revenue will go down. i think the protest is fantastic and i think it should be taken to the nxt level (which will never happen) but that is to physically stop watching BT/SkySports matches in protest of the cost of SkySPorts/ BT sport and the fact that you pay all this subscription money and yet you cant sit down and chose which game you want to watch and by this i mean have a menu where you can scorll down and chose a game out of every single EPL mate. BT get half  Sky get half and then they bid for the big games, that way for those who cant afford a match ticket they have the option to atlest legally watch the game at home in HD 3D
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #27: May 01, 2015 03:44:48 pm
      Well if people think football sold its soul they are right.

But this is only just the beginning.
      It started with so called "Financial Fair Play". Because thats only "fair" for owners who want to evade having to invest to compete. Its main lobbyists were the types who own teams increasingly in England and Italy ie the parasites.

There has been talk for a long time about super leagues, both British and Europe-wide.
      Currently a team has to buy players to stay in the PL. But with an English "super league", there is no promotion and relegation - so teams dont have to buy players to keep their status. Its the "ultimate" (ie ultimate nightmare) of a corporate monopoly and all the price fixing that is associated with that.

The biggest low lives in business started buying football clubs for one reason. And that is that the normal laws of supply and demand dont really apply. Owners are told by their advisors "charge as much as you want, because if the fans dont pay up, you sell their heroes, and blame it on them".

Owners think "fans wont change teams, so we can charge ridiculous amounts". I mean compare £1.90 in the late 1980s, to £48 on the Kop today. And in the old days, gate income was the huge chunk. Nowadays the gate is just one part. But we have total extremists running the teams.

One of the big management consultancies (it was one of the big 6 accountants) did a feasibility study for future football. Its main clients were American banks and parties interested in taking over European football clubs, most notably in England and Italy. I don't think it was ever released into the public domain, but some friends of mine had seen some stuff. And I've been told about it from various parties in the City. The stuff you'll find on the Net is a much less radical/extremist plan than  the one I've been told about.

The plan was, and still is for a European Super league, with regional sections much like in the US.
      There would be no promotion and relegation. And you'd have say a team for N East England. It would be a further corporatisation of football. And probably the worst part would be "mergers" of teams. Fans would have less choice and be forced to support the local or the regional "superleague" team. So that means that the "day tripper" rather than "working class local with a season ticket" pricing system would be enforced even more. Again the merger of clubs would mean even more slashing of costs, and more of a cosy cartel in place.

Whether they manage to get to this shitty future remains to be seen. (Ofcourse there will be much resistance in different areas). But look how American "franchises" move around the country. And look what has happened to rugby league and rugby union in recent years in Britain.

Either way, without protests and boycotts football will move ever further towards this bizarre future of corporatisation, and destruction of all of its traditions.
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh
      • Started Topic

• 112 posts | 13 
      Reply #28: May 04, 2015 02:59:42 am
      Seems to me that the EPL is a carbon copy of the NFL here in the states, or likely vice versa, but wow. The frustration English fans experience is similar to the NFL here in the states.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #29: May 04, 2015 04:43:02 am
      Seems to me that the EPL is a carbon copy of the NFL here in the states, or likely vice versa, but wow. The frustration English fans experience is similar to the NFL here in the states.

Sport in general has been hijacked by money-men and rather it being a social-healthy-pastime it has become big business like anything else.

Formula One, Boxing, football the lot.

Many of these sports bring people together but the money men have marginalised people from many sports; it's a sad indictment of the age we live in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #30: May 04, 2015 12:03:53 pm
      I don't think it's a carbon copy at all. Fans here don't protest ticket prices. Tickets are vastly more expensive for an NFL game than they are for your standard EPL match.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31: May 04, 2015 03:19:33 pm
      I don't think it's a carbon copy at all. Fans here don't protest ticket prices. Tickets are vastly more expensive for an NFL game than they are for your standard EPL match.

Not to mention a rigid salary cap that allows any team to compete.

Anybody can win it all if the people working within the club can work together and do it smarter/more efficiently than the next guy.

Quick Reply