Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (3%)
      Emre Can
      2 (3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (4.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      5 (7.5%)
      Glen Johnson
      1 (1.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.5%)
      Steven Gerrard
      21 (31.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      9 (13.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      3 (4.5%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      17 (25.4%)
      Rickie Lambert
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Sinclair
      1 (1.5%)
      Jordon Ibe
      1 (1.5%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: May 16, 2015 06:11:17 pm

Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post match discussion

Read 32068 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post match discussion
      Reply #391: May 10, 2015 08:28:34 pm
      → Reply #388 : Today at 08:14:12 PM »
       Quote (selected)
      "I think he has made another decision that questions his credentials as s top manager and not sure if he can take us any further without top class signings."
      Can any manager take us above the current top four without top class signing??
      Agree totally, but Brendan can't attract them. All the top targets of last season opted to play for other clubs !

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #392: May 10, 2015 08:37:47 pm
      Also I feel if I hear " outstanding " one more time I'll pull my own head off :-) :-) :-)

Wanking's no good for you mate, you'll go blind  ;D

Thought we were much better second half without being 'outstanding' hurts me to think what could have been if we had a striker in our midst, and not just for today, there were many factors against us including Andre Marriner, thought he ruined a decent game by bottling out of some decisions, in particular not showing a red to fibreglass,

As for Brendan I felt he left it too late bringing off Ricky, personally I'd have left Lallana on, pushed Raheem forward, and brought on Ibe, then moved Ste forward brought on Lucas, took Johnson off and play a back three of Can, Skrtle and Lovren, played the last 20 mins thus....
                                       Migs
                              Can  Skrlte Lovren
                                       Lucas
                            Ibe.     Hendo. Lallana
                               Gerrard. Coutinho
                                       Sterling

Dunno if we would have got a result but at least it was better than what Brendan felt was the right move, no disrespect to young Jerome but he was hardly going to be a game changer was he ?

Anyhoo, it was too f***in late, we should have cemented a top 4 long before the 36th game of the season, not sure about you guys out there but I feel some of our players have their minds already in holiday mode and can't wait for that final final whistle, Henderson for example just wasn't at the races, same could be said of Johnson,but he's F***ing off anyhoo so it's not surprising, it could well be that Hendo was again playing under the shadow of Gerrard, who knows but he certainly wasn't at his best today, same with Brendan, can't understand his decisions at times and his pressers are getting worse, sometimes it's better just to shut the F**k up rather than talk jibberish, apparently we were outstanding again, no Brendan we were f***in sh*te, and slightly less sh*te second half,

Our season finished against Villa a few weeks back, from then we are just going thru the motions of the final league games, and to be honest the players feel this too, hence the lacklustre performances V Hull, QPR, and again today, it's a sh*te situation to be in but like I said above we had all season to get a top 4 and failed miserably, so very disappointing, the quicker this season finishes the better.

YNWA
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #393: May 10, 2015 08:48:19 pm
      Agree totally, but Brendan can't attract them. All the top targets of last season opted to play for other clubs !

Money talks mate, if we and any ambition we would be prepared to do what's it takes to get that player that would make a difference. Buy one world class player, and that shows the other top players that we actually have ambition to grow in stature.ambition, The Scum showed ambition this season, now they'll look more attractive to other top talents.
      We need to take that first step, bring in a big name, pay a little over the odds if that's what's needed, it could be the difference between CL qualification and Europa league again.
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #394: May 10, 2015 08:49:12 pm

Thought we were much better second half without being 'outstanding' hurts me to think what could have been if we had a striker in our midst, and not just for today, there were many factors against us including Andre Marriner, thought he ruined a decent game by bottling out of some decisions, in particular not showing a red to fibreglass,

As for Brendan I felt he left it too late bringing off Ricky, personally I'd have left Lallana on, pushed Raheem forward, and brought on Ibe, then moved Ste forward brought on Lucas, took Johnson off and play a back three of Can, Skrtle and Lovren, played the last 20 mins thus....
                                       Migs
                              Can  Skrlte Lovren
                                       Lucas
                            Ibe.     Hendo. Lallana
                               Gerrard. Coutinho
                                       Sterling

Dunno if we would have got a result but at least it was better than what Brendan felt was the right move, no disrespect to young Jerome but he was hardly going to be a game changer was he ?

Anyhoo, it was too f***in late, we should have cemented a top 4 long before the 36th game of the season, not sure about you guys out there but I feel some of our players have their minds already in holiday mode and can't wait for that final final whistle, Henderson for example just wasn't at the races, same could be said of Johnson,but he's f**king off anyhoo so it's not surprising, it could well be that Hendo was again playing under the shadow of Gerrard, who knows but he certainly wasn't at his best today, same with Brendan, can't understand his decisions at times and his pressers are getting worse, sometimes it's better just to shut the f**k up rather than talk jibberish, apparently we were outstanding again, no Brendan we were f***in sh*te, and slightly less sh*te second half,

Our season finished against Villa a few weeks back, from then we are just going thru the motions of the final league games, and to be honest the players feel this too, hence the lacklustre performances V Hull, QPR, and again today, it's a sh*te situation to be in but like I said above we had all season to get a top 4 and failed miserably, so very disappointing, the quicker this season finishes the better.

YNWA

Laughed my F***ing FACE off at that. ( choice of better words) and your right I think the players and manager put the season to bed weeks ago.
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #395: May 10, 2015 08:52:18 pm

Yeah your right on that. That is one area Brendan has problems. He can convince the young players to invest in his " project " but you'll never convince a world class player if you've never win a title or trophie. Let's hope next year we get a cup in the bag.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #396: May 10, 2015 09:08:56 pm

Can you write that in a bigger font for us mate?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #397: May 10, 2015 09:13:50 pm
      Decent performance but apart from the 15 minutes after half time we didn't threaten enough. Matic coming on sorted it out for them and we lost our way a bit when Lallana went off.

Story of our season really, some nice spells of possession and some good work from our attacking midfielders but no cutting edge whatsoever. We're going nowhere fast unless we sign a proven goalscorer (probably two considering Sturridge's injuries).
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #398: May 10, 2015 10:17:10 pm
      Draw probably right result. Great to see SG score again, and confound the incessant sniping at him from some tw*ts - again, someone who knows were the goal is - trumps f**king 'potential' every day. We might have nicked one or two more if our final ball had been better from multiple players, some decent approach play with poor delivery. A striker worth a f**king toss would also be handy. Cou did well, and Can, Sterling seems to have reverted to form of pre-last season, somewhat brainless when in a position to hurt teams. But he can turn that around. Surprised SG got taken off alright though.

Overall pretty underwhelming, both teams huffing and puffing in the final 3rd, both goals from set piece headers.

No sign of Balo, Borini or Marko on the bench. Balo and Borini better have their bags packed. And I'd cut my losses on Marko too - and anyone coming back with 'don't be soft, he has bags of potential' MAY, only may, be right - I just don't see it for him in the PL and would bring in some cash for him. Have seen it with Aquilani, Borini etc, people backing them to the hilt, arguing for time, and making excuses, only to be completely full of sh*t - the fact is he's contributed nothing this season - so cutting losses on him now IS definitely an option.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #399: May 10, 2015 11:14:49 pm
      Missed the game today and couldn't tell much from the highlights.

Looked like an end of season game.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #400: May 10, 2015 11:54:40 pm
      Looks like everyone watched a different game to the one I did.  MOTM between Migs and Sterling for me.

One of the worst games I've seen Henderson play in a while. Can at RB is just out of position, and was exploited repeatedly.

Was good to see Sterling, Ibe, Sinclair on the pitch at the same time. Should start like that in the next game for me. We look a lot more threatening in the second half, but still pretty toothless overall.

Can't wait for this season to be over, we haven't deserved top 4.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #401: May 10, 2015 11:56:29 pm
      Was good to see Sterling, Ibe, Sinclair on the pitch at the same time. Should start like that in the next game for me.

Will never happen.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #402: May 11, 2015 07:52:21 am
      One of them games where had Chelsea not already won the league then I have no doubts they would have gotten the win. We were better in the second half but it was still a performance that would have struggled to beat any other side at the same time because we had absolutely nothing in attack, sure we looked steady in midfield but the closer to the goal we got, there was nobody in a threatening position.
      Rickie Lambert I thought was an embarrassing performance for this club, he was utter sh*te, cost us a goal, offered nothing and looked like he was walking around sulking.

Skrtel could easily have cost us a goal in the second half when he flew in on Hazard at the half way line and left us exposed. Luckily he made amends by stopping what would have probably of been a Fabregas goal.

It was a performance of going through the motions and the best part of it was Gerrard slating the Chav fans after the game.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #403: May 11, 2015 07:53:05 am
      1st 5 mins was not end of season, those chav c#@s kicked fuk out of our players, fabregazz shld have been off.

After they scored we played well, should have won, 2nd half possession and chances was very good, just final pass was poor and as expected they defended well.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #404: May 11, 2015 08:52:48 am
      Look I might be wrong with numbers and figures but taking Gerrard of is just a stick to beat him with. A few weeks ago people were slagging him for not taking him off at half time.

I agree in a way - I am not one of those who thought Steven had a particularly good game.  However the reasons Rodgers gave for withdrawing Gerrard seem to be the same 'we cant win this game' mentality that had a lot of the fans questioning the managers fight - just like at the Bernabeu.

Gerrard does have the capacity to score a goal.  He should have been up front in the final 10 minutes of that game - not being replaced by Lucas.  A point was as good as a defeat under the circumstances.

Rodgers probably believes a draw is a good result.  Liverpool fans will realise that it made our season end at least a game sooner than it could have.

One of them games where had Chelsea not already won the league then I have no doubts they would have gotten the win.

Pretty much agree.  Considering they had nothing to play for we should have easily out-performed them in the desire stakes.

And I'd cut my losses on Marko too - and anyone coming back with 'don't be soft, he has bags of potential' MAY, only may, be right - I just don't see it for him in the PL and would bring in some cash for him. Have seen it with Aquilani, Borini etc, people backing them to the hilt, arguing for time, and making excuses, only to be completely full of sh*t - the fact is he's contributed nothing this season - so cutting losses on him now IS definitely an option.

I was very very hopeful with regards to Markovic but I find myself nodding in agreement.  Andy Carroll showed far more promise in his first year than Markovic has and he was widely derided.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #405: May 11, 2015 09:07:51 am

Haha I look forward to his totally honest interviews when he's the manager, great stuff, thanks.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #406: May 11, 2015 09:43:29 am
      With Gerrard gone next Season Brendan is going to find it even more difficult. I'd love to say that FSG will spend big but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Souness hit the nail on the head, who do all these youngsters look up to next Season? Who guides them through their learning curves, who is (as Souness so eloquently put it) the standard bearer when Stevie goes?

Who epitomises what we are about? First Carra, then Suarez and now Gerrard.

The only other player i can think of is Skrtel, but at the rate we are f**king him about on his new contract he might be off too.

It's no good having a class of potentially excellent kids if there is no teacher to guide them.

FSG are an absolute f**king joke.

Souness? He is a terrible pundit, looks tranquillized constantly and takes every opportunity to stick the knife in.
      Time to move on, no teachers, only players. That's it.
      No Carragher thinking he's the boss man. Telling more skilful players what they're doing wrong for example.
      Stop whinging. It's spoiling the place.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #407: May 11, 2015 09:58:14 am
      Souness? He is a terrible pundit, looks tranquillized constantly and takes every opportunity to stick the knife in.
      Time to move on, no teachers, only players. That's it.
      No Carragher thinking he's the boss man. Telling more skilful players what they're doing wrong for example.
      Stop whinging. It's spoiling the place.

Souness is a F***ing legend. This has nothing to do with him as a manger or a pundit. As for sticking the knife in, i take it you have a problem with one of our most successful players in history being sickened at the sight of what we are becoming?

These are the words of a man who won everything as a player and lived, breathed and sh*t success.

There's a lot more to football than skill fishpie, surely you are not that naive? Whinging? Please.

Barring Lucas and Skrtel, there are no senior players left. Gerrard, Toure and Johnson are gone.

Gerrard set the standard, it seems that some supporters are happy for that standard to drop.

I'll tell you what's spoiling the place, the growing levels of acceptance creeping into our fanbase that we are where we should be etc.

If you think we stand in good stead for next Season then i fear for you.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #408: May 11, 2015 10:02:32 am
      Draw probably right result. Great to see SG score again, and confound the incessant sniping at him from some tw*ts - again, someone who knows were the goal is - trumps f**king 'potential' every day. We might have nicked one or two more if our final ball had been better from multiple players, some decent approach play with poor delivery. A striker worth a f**king toss would also be handy. Cou did well, and Can, Sterling seems to have reverted to form of pre-last season, somewhat brainless when in a position to hurt teams. But he can turn that around. Surprised SG got taken off alright though.

Overall pretty underwhelming, both teams huffing and puffing in the final 3rd, both goals from set piece headers.

No sign of Balo, Borini or Marko on the bench. Balo and Borini better have their bags packed. And I'd cut my losses on Marko too - and anyone coming back with 'don't be soft, he has bags of potential' MAY, only may, be right - I just don't see it for him in the PL and would bring in some cash for him. Have seen it with Aquilani, Borini etc, people backing them to the hilt, arguing for time, and making excuses, only to be completely full of sh*t - the fact is he's contributed nothing this season - so cutting losses on him now IS definitely an option.

So we just sell players for any old price, get rid of Markvich for any offer or something? Because, we don't seem to earn anything ever with this new transfer policy of buy young and they'll always be worth extra later. Which I can't stand in the first place but all I keep hearing from fans is offload like 15 players or something and not even caring whether we get ripped off by selling cheap because everyone's so desperate to get rid of everyone ever.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #409: May 11, 2015 10:10:27 am
      Souness is a F***ing legend. This has nothing to do with him as a manger or a pundit. As for sticking the knife in, i take it you have a problem with one of our most successful players in history being sickened at the sight of what we are becoming?

These are the words of a man who won everything as a player and lived, breathed and sh*t success.

There's a lot more to football than skill fishpie, surely you are not that naive? Whinging? Please.

Barring Lucas and Skrtel, there are no senior players left. Gerrard, Toure and Johnson are gone.

Gerrard set the standard, it seems that some supporters are happy for that standard to drop.

I'll tell you what's spoiling the place, the growing levels of acceptance creeping into our fanbase that we are where we should be etc.

If you think we stand in good stead for next Season then i fear for you.

Souness was a great player but did so much damage to the club afterwards and he is always sniping with his comments towards Liverpool. Reluctantly, last season he gave us some praise verrry reluctantly (I remember) when we were bossing games and Suarez was on fire. I have issues with the guy, I can't stand to hear him, he's part of the bitter ex Liverpool crew. His opinions mean nothing to me because of all I've heard in the past/ him being so negative about LFC.
      I think the anchors need to be gone and we stop living in fear of a life without certain legends and mentors, team motivators, or whatever the hell. Gerrard was one of the best players we've seen, people get older we all have to move on. I wouldn't want Carra shouting at players in training thinking he's on Monday night football with his Lemon faced mate.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #410: May 11, 2015 10:20:03 am
      Not a bad team performance but toothless in attack. It's horrible to watch after the seeing us put 3 or 4 past teams every week last season with ease.

Our summer transfers are going to be crucial and we need to find a couple of gems like Coutinho & Can because the four teams above us are going to out spend us and pull better players.

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #411: May 11, 2015 10:24:45 am
      Souness was a great player but did so much damage to the club afterwards and he is always sniping with his comments towards Liverpool. Reluctantly, last season he gave us some praise verrry reluctantly (I remember) when we were bossing games and Suarez was on fire. I have issues with the guy, I can't stand to hear him, he's part of the bitter ex Liverpool crew. His opinions mean nothing to me because of all I've heard in the past/ him being so negative about LFC.
      I think the anchors need to be gone and we stop living in fear of a life without certain legends and mentors, team motivators, or whatever the hell. Gerrard was one of the best players we've seen, people get older we all have to move on. I wouldn't want Carra shouting at players in training thinking he's on Monday night football with his Lemon faced mate.

If you've got none on the pitch then you need a strong manager...

https://youtu.be/-MJ7gxuDGxI

Just imagine what you'd feel as a player if your manager was like that!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #412: May 11, 2015 10:24:58 am

This is where the debate ends i'm afraid. If you think that we don't need mentors or team motivators etc. then there is no point continuing this.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #413: May 11, 2015 10:29:45 am

This is where the debate ends i'm afraid. If you think that we don't need mentors or team motivators etc. then there is no point continuing this.

Hey, ok no probs, time we move on, me and you and also Liverpool, new stalwarts will happen - it's life, Gerrard wants to do his own thing for this last part of his totally loyal career, let him be free and LFC move on too.

Quick Reply