Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (3%)
      Emre Can
      2 (3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (4.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      5 (7.5%)
      Glen Johnson
      1 (1.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.5%)
      Steven Gerrard
      21 (31.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      9 (13.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      3 (4.5%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      17 (25.4%)
      Rickie Lambert
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Sinclair
      1 (1.5%)
      Jordon Ibe
      1 (1.5%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: May 16, 2015 06:11:17 pm

Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post match discussion

Read 32072 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post match discussion
      Reply #414: May 11, 2015 10:30:38 am
      Souness was a great player but did so much damage to the club afterwards and he is always sniping with his comments towards Liverpool. Reluctantly, last season he gave us some praise verrry reluctantly (I remember) when we were bossing games and Suarez was on fire. I have issues with the guy, I can't stand to hear him, he's part of the bitter ex Liverpool crew. His opinions mean nothing to me because of all I've heard in the past/ him being so negative about LFC.
      I think the anchors need to be gone and we stop living in fear of a life without certain legends and mentors, team motivators, or whatever the hell. Gerrard was one of the best players we've seen, people get older we all have to move on. I wouldn't want Carra shouting at players in training thinking he's on Monday night football with his Lemon faced mate.

agree about the souness thing. He has always been an arsehole of the highest order, what he did as a player was fantastic, but as a manager and a pundit I can't stand him either.

But we do need people like Carra around the club.

We actually do have a lot of legends working at the club in some capacity, I will name a few; King Kenny, Rush, fowler, marsh.

Gerrard will be back in a few years as a coach leading to manager after that. Would love him and carra working together as manager and assistant manger.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #415: May 11, 2015 10:35:24 am
      agree about the souness thing. He has always been an arsehole of the highest order, what he did as a player was fantastic, but as a manager and a pundit I can't stand him either.

But we do need people like Carra around the club.

We actually do have a lot of legends working at the club in some capacity, I will name a few; King Kenny, Rush, fowler, marsh.

Gerrard will be back in a few years as a coach leading to manager after that. Would love him and carra working together as manager and assistant manger.

I can totally see Gerrard being manager and he brings in Carra as his assistant, I don't bet but if there were good odds on that combination, I'd bet quite a bit.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #416: May 11, 2015 10:38:54 am
      Hey, ok no probs, time we move on, me and you and also Liverpool, new stalwarts will happen - it's life, Gerrard wants to do his own thing for this last part of his totally loyal career, let him be free and LFC move on too.

Gerrard was forced out, do you know anything? I'm out of here.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #417: May 11, 2015 11:01:21 am
      Makes me laugh the lack of support our manager has received this year. We spent less than all the top four am I right? We were never in the top four? We lost our two main strikers ? We lost our 2 main midfielder for large chunks of the season ( Gerrard and Lucas ) . We lost sakho for months. I could go on and on and on. I honestly feel that with the squad he has and the funds he has done his best . I'm saying saying he is perfect but Jesus he is the manager of LFC  come on. Last year he was manager of the season and this year he was pipped to 4th by a team that spent over 200 million. Look I might be wrong with numbers and figures but taking Gerrard of is just a stick to beat him with. A few weeks ago people were slagging him for not taking him off at half time.

So are backing the manager or not?  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #418: May 11, 2015 11:17:26 am
      Gerrard was forced out, do you know anything? I'm out of here.

I'm not convinced that's totally true.

And Souness being a 'legend' is irrelevant when discussing him as a pundit and Fishpie is quite within his rights to criticise him if he thinks he talks sh*te.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #419: May 11, 2015 11:39:47 am

And Souness being a 'legend' is irrelevant when discussing him as a pundit and Fishpie is quite within his rights to criticise him if he thinks he talks sh*te.

Since FSG have been in place we have seen all our 'characters' slowly forced out, whether you choose to believe that or not is totally up to you and i don't think i have said otherwise.

Myself and fishpie were discussing the comments made by Souness yesterday with regards to all the leaders leaving the Club, men who can shape and influence the youngsters at the Club.

Regardless of whether Souness made those comments as a pundit or not, those words were from his heart as a player who has been there and done it. He knows better then most the need for 'character' in any Squad.

If you feel Souness was talking sh*te with regards to those comments then i welcome any debate from yourself specifically. Though how you can put up a defence against that is something i am looking forward to.

This Squad needs leaders and after this Season, barring Skrtel and Gerrard, i don't see anyone capable of taking up the mantle. Do you?

Somebody put a post in another thread earlier about how we have lost players like Reina, Agger, Suarez, Carra and now Gerrard. Not one of these players has been replaced with sufficient quality.

We have seen numerous times this Season where we have lacked any authority or aggression on the field of play. If the manager can't get the players up for a fight then it's down to the players in the Squad to galvanise the team. It isn't happening and the last few weeks have been proof of that.

Souness was not talking sh*te, he said what he saw and what he has seen, i have seen it too, i'm sure plenty of others have too.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #420: May 11, 2015 11:43:55 am

Big earners considered to be in their twilight years have been shifted on. Reina and Agger both had lots to offer. I specifically think the removal of Reina was a massive mistake. Had he still been here, he would be the No.1 keeper now. Mignolet has had a shocking Season and the fact that we don't have a capable No.2 has been a major factor in that. Remove competition for places and you invite complacency.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #421: May 11, 2015 11:54:21 am
      Good effort from the lads in the 2nd half but as has been our weak spot all season, no one in the final 3rd of the pitch to finish off our good work up the pitch.

Turned off the Tv straight after and went to be so didn't see the Interviews. Have now....Stevie I love you you F***ing Legend. Brendan, seriously what the F**k? Chasing a game to keep alive our slim hopes and he took off the only player who looked like he could score and replaced him with Lucas who hasn't scored a goal apart from in training. F**k me!

2 games to go off this epic fail of a Season.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #422: May 11, 2015 11:54:27 am
      Big earners considered to be in their twilight years have been shifted on. Reina and Agger both had lots to offer. I specifically think the removal of Reina was a massive mistake. Had he still been here, he would be the No.1 keeper now. Mignolet has had a shocking Season and the fact that we don't have a capable No.2 has been a major factor in that. Remove competition for places and you invite complacency.

I agree look at glen Johnson, he has real ability but doesn't give a F**k. He is just pulling down a wage and waiting for the retirement package to come in from turkey or the states. We have to get players like Stirling, Ibe and coutinho fighting for something. This won't happen without a couple of real fighters coming in. I would have Arda Turan and Godin any day. Players like that would really help us.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #423: May 11, 2015 11:55:44 am
      Since FSG have been in place we have seen all our 'characters' slowly forced out, whether you choose to believe that or not is totally up to you and i don't think i have said otherwise.

Myself and fishpie were discussing the comments made by Souness yesterday with regards to all the leaders leaving the Club, men who can shape and influence the youngsters at the Club.

Regardless of whether Souness made those comments as a pundit or not, those words were from his heart as a player who has been there and done it. He knows better then most the need for 'character' in any Squad.

If you feel Souness was talking sh*te with regards to those comments then i welcome any debate from yourself specifically. Though how you can put up a defence against that is something i am looking forward to.

This Squad needs leaders and after this Season, barring Skrtel and Gerrard, i don't see anyone capable of taking up the mantle. Do you?

Somebody put a post in another thread earlier about how we have lost players like Reina, Agger, Suarez, Carra and now Gerrard. Not one of these players has been replaced with sufficient quality.

We have seen numerous times this Season where we have lacked any authority or aggression on the field of play. If the manager can't get the players up for a fight then it's down to the players in the Squad to galvanise the team. It isn't happening and the last few weeks have been proof of that.

Souness was not talking sh*te, he said what he saw and what he has seen, i have seen it too, i'm sure plenty of others have too.

I'm not saying I disagree with what Souness said mate but being a 'legend' doesn't automatically mean everything he says is true or even sensible.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #424: May 11, 2015 11:57:45 am
      Good effort from the lads in the 2nd half but as has been our weak spot all season, no one in the final 3rd of the pitch to finish off our good work up the pitch.

Turned off the Tv straight after and went to be so didn't see the Interviews. Have now....Stevie I love you you f**king Legend. Brendan, seriously what the f**k? Chasing a game to keep alive our slim hopes and he took off the only player who looked like he could score and replaced him with Lucas who hasn't scored a goal apart from in training. F**k me!

2 games to go off this epic fail of a Season.

Trust me Aussie mate, i feel your pain too.

As much as i want Brendan to be given a chance next Season it is getting harder and harder to put up a good case for him with each passing calamity.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #425: May 11, 2015 01:10:36 pm
      Trust me Aussie mate, i feel your pain too.

As much as i want Brendan to be given a chance next Season it is getting harder and harder to put up a good case for him with each passing calamity.

I believe ya mate, sure there are plenty on here and around the Globe that feel as sh*t and as miserbale as we do.

I wanted Brendan to be the next Big thing but I honestly think the whole Concept of LFC is too big a job for BR.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #426: May 11, 2015 02:03:24 pm
      In view of the Chelsea scum holding up signs re Stevie G's slip last year, perhaps when Chelsea come here next year, the Supporters club could hold up a sign similar to this.

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #427: May 11, 2015 04:08:05 pm
      In view of the Chelsea scum holding up signs re Stevie G's slip last year, perhaps when Chelsea come here next year, the Supporters club could hold up a sign similar to this.

Thing is though mate... Parking the bus is a tactic.

It's our job to find a way to move the bus and quite frankly every time we face such a tactic we get stifled and just can't get through.

In my opinion as boring as it is... It is highly effective, especially against us.

Put it this way, I wouldn't give a sh*t if it were the other way around and it was us beating Chelsea by parking the bus.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #428: May 11, 2015 04:47:45 pm
      happy with the result we could have won the game its a shame we've not been able to beat Hull this season as its those games that cost us top 4 places.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #429: May 11, 2015 05:29:51 pm
      Thing is though mate... Parking the bus is a tactic.

It's our job to find a way to move the bus and quite frankly every time we face such a tactic we get stifled and just can't get through.

In my opinion as boring as it is... It is highly effective, especially against us.

Put it this way, I wouldn't give a sh*t if it were the other way around and it was us beating Chelsea by parking the bus.

Thing is, we don't and he does. Do no harm to let us show our distaste.

Would you want us to be a team that parks the  bus and stops other teams playing?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #430: May 11, 2015 05:51:15 pm

Thing is, we don't and he does. Do no harm to let us show our distaste.

Would you want us to be a team that parks the  bus and stops other teams playing?

If it meant getting through big games in a manner that Chelsea and Mourinho have done to us then yes I most certainly would.

Would you rather try and play expansive, attacking football in the manner we have done recently against some teams and got beaten?

Plus Mourinho knows when to deploy that tactic and most times it works and he gets the result he needs.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #431: May 12, 2015 02:52:56 am
      If it meant getting through big games in a manner that Chelsea and Mourinho have done to us then yes I most certainly would.
      Would you rather try and play expansive, attacking football in the manner we have done recently against some teams and got beaten?
      Plus Mourinho knows when to deploy that tactic and most times it works and he gets the result he needs.

Completely agree. Boring football but it wins you titles, especially when playing away from home.
      We should have used the tactic more last season. Don't get me wrong going out all guns blazing is great to watch but we conceded over 50 goals (~1.5 goals a game) and our win ratio away from home wasn't great.
      When we won the Champs League with Rafa, we didn't play open expansive football, we were hard to beat over 2 legs as were tight and compact.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #432: May 12, 2015 06:20:20 am
      ;D@ people saying 'Souness is right'

Dont remember Souness as Liverpool manager do we?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #433: May 12, 2015 06:26:08 am
       With the amount of people that have turned on Brendan, this thread should be fun next season  ;D  :boxing: :couch:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #434: May 12, 2015 07:47:42 am
      ;D@ people saying 'Souness is right'

Dont remember Souness as Liverpool manager do we?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #435: May 12, 2015 08:01:19 am
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #436: May 12, 2015 08:27:14 am
      With the amount of people that have turned on Brendan, this thread should be fun next season  ;D  :boxing: :couch:

This tread will be forgotten soon after the Crystal Palace thread is started.  :)

Quick Reply