Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Transfer Committee Thread

Read 102938 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      The Transfer Committee Thread
      May 23, 2015 07:52:43 pm
      We literally have no top qualified scout at the club. Look at this clusterfuck which makes up our laughable transfer committee. While fellow top clubs like Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea and City hire expert scouts (mainly from the continent) who have lived and breathed other footballing cultures with an intrinsic understanding of what is required of a top top footballer, we have a dunderheaded committee who are more adept at wallowing in their own filth, causing a massive stench for the club that extends the length and breadth of Europe.

Mike Gordon: Described by John Henry as "....by far, FSG America’s most knowledgeable person with regard to soccer and is involved on the football side daily in constant communication with the members of our football committee and our manager." So a 'soccer' expert from FSG is hired to head the committee - but considering he has no background in anything dealing with a sport that is unpopular in America, he is appointed head of the transfer committeee. Great start.....

Mike Edwards: Previous background includes being chief scout for Portsmouth, apart from that - again - absolutely no background in the sport. Enough said.

Barry Hunter: Next up is Hunter - an ex-pro for Reading and Wrexham and having managed Rushden & Diamond and relegated them out of the Football League in 2006! A true footballing heavyweight of reputable insight into the 'next big thing'! A bargain bin Gilles Grimandi!

Dave Fallows: Head of recruitment at City, though that's not saying much when the players they bought had obvious qualities and there was an unlimited budget. The likes of Aguero, Kompany and Silva are hardly hidden gems, and City's transfer record has been appalling, only covered up by the obvious quality players they have bought in. Prior to this, he was chief scout at, erm, Blackburn. Also, absolutely no footballing experience, having never studied football abroad.

Ian Ayre: Appointed by Hicks & Gillett, this tells us all we need to know about him. Yet again, has no background or experience in the sport. And everything that has been said about his lack of qualities has been said here numerous times - ballsing up transfer deals left, right and centre since taking charge of this, complicit in Rafa's sacking and signed off the Hodgson appointment and £100k a week for Joe Cole and £120K a week Jovanovic. Evidence still that the disastrous reign of Hick and Gillett still lingers stubbornly, like an STD you cannot get rid of.

Brendan Rodgers: Not as bad as the others, but certainly the weakest point of his managerial reign so far. Original targets such as Willian, Sanchez, Salah and Costa may have been fu**ed over by the goons from above, but targeting the likes of Ashley Williams and Bone is never going to get us far. I believe in his qualities as a coach, but there is evidence that a Director of Football may have to be imposed. He needs help in this area desperately, and I don't believe he's the man to do it on his own. But any shortcomings is exacerbated by the incomptence of the other scouts.

-----------

Meanwhile, our rivals are hiring exotic and top class intelligent scouts with a deep intrinsic knowledge of continental football who know a quality player when they see one.

Our player recruitment is being led by scouts with utterly shocking and frighteningly poor CV's. The problem we are facing is staring us back in the face - whether you want Brendan as the manager is irrelevant (that's for the Brendan page), because as long as these guys remain in position, a hybrid of Mourinho and Guardiola would fail. Klopp - forget about it - he would have a heart attack meeting these lads and would scream 'NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!!', with the scouts and Ian Ayre probably thinking they'd been favourably rated out of ten, that's how thick they are. How these scouts made it as Liverpool's scouts is the greatest puzzle all us supporters face.

SACK THEM! SACK THEM NOW!
      « Last Edit: Oct 06, 2015 09:52:46 pm by redkenny, Reason: Amended title »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Transfer Committee Scouts: GUILTY AS SIN
      Reply #1: May 23, 2015 07:58:47 pm
      No disrespect mate but there must be 2000 posts like this in the owners thread.

I'm not sure how you're differentiating enough from all of the other posts that say the same thing to start a thread if you get me?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: May 23, 2015 08:03:00 pm

I'm not sure how you're differentiating enough from all of the other posts that say the same thing to start a thread if you get me?

I think it's only fair that the alleged charlatans in the scouting department have their own thread. If Brendan and JWH are getting it in the neck what's the problem with highlighting these guys?

Is it fair to say that these guys should have a broader scope of the European and World footballing context? I think so.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #3: May 23, 2015 08:10:26 pm

I think this is central in the failing of the club, and it is imperative that this is changed first and foremost by looking directly at the individuals responsible. It's easy to blame Rodgers or Henry, but these guys have heaps of responsibilities and its only fair that their Sunday League asses have a thread of their own so all fans know their role in the clubs downfall.

It was always a ticking time bomb this and it has blown up spectacularly this year - these guys shouldn't be able to hide behind the owner or the manager.

Just so every fan knows the shoddy low standards of our scouting network. Only by improving it will we be able to make gains in the market again.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4: May 23, 2015 08:11:19 pm
      Wasn't campaigning for it to get shut, just didn't read anything that I hadn't already read.

Fair do's though. Thread for the committee makes sense come to think of it. Can't hide amongst the posts in the manager or owners threads now can they?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Transfer Committee Scouts: GUILTY!
      Reply #5: May 23, 2015 09:02:28 pm
      Very interesting what experience this transfer committee had with football, but can someone tell me does Rodgers have the final say on players signing for the club. This transfer committee has little or zilch previous affiliation with the club yet they are trusted with spending millions of pounds. Every one on that committee should be invited to Boston next week and told if they want to go back to Anfield they will have to swim back.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #6: May 23, 2015 09:12:06 pm
      Very interesting what experience this transfer committee had with football, but can someone tell me does Rodgers have the final say on players signing for the club. This transfer committee has little or zilch previous affiliation with the club yet they are trusted with spending millions of pounds. Every one on that committee should be invited to Boston next week and told if they want to go back to Anfield they will have to swim back.

Rodgers signs all of them off I believe, but that's why we need a top quality DOF.

A well informed and experienced football man with a broader scope in terms of European and World football could perhaps better advise Rodgers with superior knowledge on the type of players he needs and importantly, doesn't need. It's clear the Transfer Committee are leading Rodgers down the wrong path, exacerbating some of his poor judgement with their own even worse judgement. A top DOF would rectify that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #7: May 23, 2015 10:09:46 pm
      Good to highlight the shortcomings as it becomes crystal clear where our deficiencies in identifying and signing players comes from. But what are the chances something gets done about it?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #8: May 23, 2015 10:14:06 pm
      Good to highlight the shortcomings as it becomes crystal clear where our deficiencies in identifying and signing players comes from. But what are the chances something gets done about it?

I have my worries FSG will persist with these incompetent fools at the TC.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #9: May 23, 2015 10:17:52 pm
      I have my worries FSG will persist with these incompetent fools at the TC.

Yup I think I read recently where Pearce I believe said the TC committee was the envy of many PL clubs...........WTF

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #10: May 23, 2015 10:20:06 pm
      Yup I think I read recently where Pearce I believe said the TC committee was the envy of many PL clubs...........WTF

Oh for fucks sake...  :mad:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: The Incompetent Transfer Committee Scouts Thread: GUILTY!
      Reply #11: May 23, 2015 10:34:29 pm
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #12: May 23, 2015 10:38:49 pm

Benteke (for £30 million, YES £30 MILLION!), Ings, Milner.... not just squad players, but PRIMARY targets as it says!

I don't even know what is the point any more, why us fans even bother....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #13: May 23, 2015 10:44:29 pm
      Benteke (for £30 million, YES £30 MILLION!), Ings, Milner.... not just squad players, but PRIMARY targets as it says!

I don't even know what is the point any more, why us fans even bother....

Tell you what mate if all those come I might just give up, it  is difficult enough finding time as it is. But Ings, Milner and Benteke what's the point when you know we are destined for mid table mediocrity.

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #14: May 23, 2015 10:46:11 pm
      Tell you what mate if all those come I might just give up, it  is difficult enough finding time as it is. But Ings, Milner and Benteke what's the point when you know we are destined for mid table mediocrity.

Yep, the transfer committee getting paid to do a really sh*te job. Sunday League quality scouts, that's what they are.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #15: May 23, 2015 10:51:02 pm
      Reading the OP only highlights for me that it is not the committee that is the problem, as many of us have said before almost every club has these roles in regards to transfers, but the members of the committee and their suitability for the job.

Hire a DoF/Sporting Director, sack Ian Ayre and anyone else who has failed in their roles, the manager inlcuded if neccessar, and we move on from there. Give the Sporting Director the responsibility of shaping everyhting in frealtion to football within the club going forward with a clear long term plan.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #16: May 23, 2015 10:53:04 pm

Just when we are talking about the Transfer Committee tonight, this - their next 'magic trick' - is pretty much making a sh*t appear out of a top hat and flinging it at us the audience.

Fallows, Edwards and Hunter need to get their Sunday League asses out of this club right now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17: May 23, 2015 11:06:50 pm
      The Danny Ings rumours just says it all about this committee. Pitiful isn't even the word.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #18: May 24, 2015 12:40:59 am
      No wonder we are in such a bloody mess right now, 5 in the TC that has not played a competitive game in their life time and has not in anyway associated with winning anything significant with a club are entrusted to shape the future of this club. So here we go, FSG with their chopping and trimming of budget and wages and on the other end TC wasting all the savings with buying average players at inflated prices and stinge on getting real world class players in.  As the saying goes, things even out eventually.

In my all honest opinion, the players that got in are not all that bad, but i have to also question the capability of BR to get his tactics right to get the max out of the players. So, for the failure of this season, BR has to bear part of the responsibility.

More scary is, if a DOF comes in and got in real quality players and yet the players underperformed due to BR lack of experience to mould them into a formidable team, what's next for FSG?

I've read, digest and try to understand  hundreds of pages of what was written about FSG, BR and the TC here and elsewhere and also observed what has happened and is happening on the pitch and it's pretty clear that the TC is a misadventure and it's creating more confusion with no accountability on players acquisition, while I suspect even if world class players were acquired, does BR even has the experience to deploy tactics that make the best of their strengths, sadly BR still has not move up from the Swansea standard and I'm not going  to blame him as those were his most successful years as a manager and he tried to replicate what he did at Swanseaa here, unfortunately it's simply not good enough for the club of this size. But, again I won't blame BR that's the just about what he knows about success so far, the blames lies squarely with FSG as they have in fact engaged a potential manager but not a proven manager.

Hence, it's as good as saying we could muster the best ingredients but if we have a lousy cook, it means nothing.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015 07:05:49 am by redkop63 »
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #19: May 24, 2015 12:48:51 am
      They're scouts alright , of the Baden Powell type scout , DYB DYB . But it's not good enough and something stinks from top to bottom in the club . Ah well we might get CL next season and pigs will fly .
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #20: May 24, 2015 01:15:06 am
      Whats wrong with Ings?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #21: May 24, 2015 01:40:23 am

Nothing if you aim to be a mid table club. Do you think Arsenal, United, City and Chelsea will be after him?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #22: May 24, 2015 01:55:03 am
      I don't think I can judge a scout's contribution to the club. One of them could be pointing out several talented players to the club (we actually are linked to many pretty good ones) but in the end the way we've conducted transfers might not have favored bringing in those players and/or whoever makes the final call might have decided against those recommendations. I just don't feel like bashing someone's knowledge of the game and career without possibly knowing how things actually work out in the inside of the club. It is pretty clear that our transfers as a whole are not working out - but I don't feel the need to name and shame people whose work I actually know very little about.

LFC really should hire me though.  :f_tongueincheek:

Quick Reply