Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The Transfer Committee Thread

Read 103575 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Re: The Transfer Committee Thread
      Reply #1242: Feb 06, 2016 05:52:57 pm
      Well, don't blame it on the committee, blame it on FSG, they are the ones that allowed it to happen and continue till today. Wonder FSG has heard of - too many cooks spoil the soup. We have 5 there and the end product doesn't taste either eastern or western, that's why we're seeing some mix or should I say sh*t results and performances.

There is a famous saying - a camel is a horse designed by committee. Well, that exactly applies to our team.

The rot, as ever, starts from the top.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1243: Feb 06, 2016 06:00:06 pm
      Traditional means of scouting is at its end, with time things change and football changes so we have to keep up with new innovative methods in terms of coaching, scouting and club management (even if we don't like it). Those ''past days'' are over.

and tell me how is that working out for us
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1244: Feb 06, 2016 06:04:03 pm
      who exactly is the committee? how did they get the job?

get rid of mcmanaman - bring in smicer
      get rid of owen - bring in cisse
      get rid of torres - bring in Carroll
      get rid of Suarez - bring in Balotelli
      get rid of Alonso - bring in Aquilani
      get rid of Macherano - bring in Poulsen

The people we got rid of went on to win everything possible in world football

the ones we brought in went on to be lfc fans and rich

This is wrong on a few points. First off, the Transfer Committee wasn't even in place when most of those transfers even happened.

McManaman signed a deal with Madrid before the season was even over. Also, I doubt you had a problem with Smicer when he was making it 3-2 in Istanbul.

The Owen point is wrong. Owen wanted to go to Madrid, it was clear he would jump ship when given the chance and they actually made their move for him. Secondly, Owen was sold by Rafa, Cisse was initially signed by Houllier with the intention of playing him alongside Owen should Owen stay, although again, it was obvious he wasn't going to. Also Cisse made a decent start with us but then broke his leg, he done well to come back like he did after such a bad break.

Torres, Suarez and Alonso I will give you and agree with.

Mascherano wanted to go, like Suarez he wanted Barcelona. Poulsen was never signed to replace him. Although yeah, Poulsen was a complete cock up of a transfer and whoever sanctioned that needs shooting!Also who can blame Masch for wanting to go when you find out Woy is going to be your manager.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1245: Feb 06, 2016 06:18:10 pm
      Torres, Suarez and Alonso I will give you and agree with.

The Torres sale to this day was probably one of the best deal this club ever did, he was a broken player that never came within gnats ass of finding form again.

Sadly

The Andy Carroll deal was one of the worst deals we ever made, that being said there was no Transfer Committee at the time it was Kenny & Comolli and any thought of it being different is nothing more than a revision on the truth.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1246: Feb 06, 2016 06:22:43 pm
      The Torres sale to this day was probably one of the best deal this club ever did, he was a broken player that never came within gnats ass of finding form again.

Sadly

The Andy Carroll deal was one of the worst deals we ever made, that being said there was no Transfer Committee at the time it was Kenny & Comolli and any thought of it being different is nothing more than a revision on the truth.

the Carrol deal was simple we had no CF with Torres going.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1247: Feb 06, 2016 11:01:56 pm
      the Carrol deal was simple we had no CF with Torres going.

If we knew how good Suarez would become then maybe we wouldn't have wasted time getting a replacement for Torres. Sadly we didn't know Suarez would become one of the greats

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #1248: Feb 29, 2016 08:00:28 pm
      To me, the signing of Mignolet really sums up FSG and the transfer committee's recruitment policy.

We sold Reina for him. Reina was sold not because he was on the decline (arguably was) but because his wages were high. So we brought in a cheaper alternative in terms of wages - and in this game, you get what you pay for. And Mignolet's wage is the one of a decent keeper - not a class keeper.

And too many times, this has occurred since 2012. The exit of Dirk Kuyt and Craig Bellamy? Two proven players who were worth their place at Liverpool - and we replaced them with the likes of Fabio Borini. A cheap alternative - and played like a cheap alternative too. And now he's slumming it with that dogs sh*t of a team Sunderland. It really isn't rocket science that you get what you pay for - and our wage structure is one which dictates that we are a mid table club.

That's the modern Liverpool for us - run by a bunch of clowns with low league experience who thought Borini was better than Kuyt. Rodgers was naive in thinking we'd got a class player, and while we can debate who signed who, the point is that guys like Mignolet and Borini are symptomatic of the quality of players we've been buying in recent years - not good enough for Liverpool FC. I don't doubt that there are genuine bargains out there - but is a hidden gem on the continent going to be found by the ex manager of Rushden & Diamond who relegated the club out of the football league? Not bloody likely.

I don't expect guys with low league experience like Hunter, Fallows and co to spot a quality player considering they themselves are derived from the lower leagues, so their scope and mindset is pretty limited, as proven. And Brendan didn't have the eye for it either, perhaps for the same reasons. Now I'm not saying we spend beyond our means in terms of wages, but really we should have pooled our wage budget towards a few core excellent players, as opposed to spreading it thinly across mediocre players.

FSG need to back Klopp in the transfer market. He knows a quality player when he sees one and is a more proven judge than any of the pisstakers in the transfer committee. Will FSG change their arrogant ways and give powers to low league reprobates who haven't proven anything, or will they actually allow the world class proven manager to dictate the terms of structure at the club?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1249: Feb 29, 2016 08:32:55 pm
      FSG need to back Klopp in the transfer market. He knows a quality player when he sees one and is a more proven judge than any of the pisstakers in the transfer committee. Will FSG change their arrogant ways and give powers to low league reprobates who haven't proven anything, or will they actually allow the world class proven manager to dictate the terms of structure at the club?

I think the 2 we've signed so far have been Klopps or his trusted friends picks rather TC ones.

Tbh I couldn't care less who they are, where they came from or how much they cost so long as they fit with how Jürgen is intending playing them and that they're an improvement on who they're replacing.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1250: Feb 29, 2016 08:32:58 pm

:confused-smiley-013:

Klopp: I don't need money

Jürgen Klopp may need to rebuild Liverpool in the off-season, but feels he does not need money to do so

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp insists money is of no concern in his bid to rebuild his squad ahead of next season.

Klopp's men are facing Manchester City in the League Cup final at Wembley on Sunday as the German looks to win a trophy after just five months in charge.

The former Borussia Dortmund coach still has decisions to make over his squad, with yet more off-season signings expected at Anfield.

But Klopp said money was not a worry, insisting there were other ways to build a strong squad.

"I am patient enough. I would like to win every game and I am really, really, really disappointed after a defeat," he said.

"But next morning the sun shines again. You have the chance to use it, this defeat and that’s what I love in this job.

"It's not about transfers. Right player, big money, I don't care. If we have it take it, use it. If we don't have it, don't say we have not enough money. Try a different way. That's all."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/klopp-i-dont-need-money#yGhreygWJTGupyCG.99

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1251: Feb 29, 2016 08:34:50 pm
      :confused-smiley-013:

Klopp: I don't need money

Jürgen Klopp may need to rebuild Liverpool in the off-season, but feels he does not need money to do so

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp insists money is of no concern in his bid to rebuild his squad ahead of next season.

Klopp's men are facing Manchester City in the League Cup final at Wembley on Sunday as the German looks to win a trophy after just five months in charge.

The former Borussia Dortmund coach still has decisions to make over his squad, with yet more off-season signings expected at Anfield.

But Klopp said money was not a worry, insisting there were other ways to build a strong squad.

"I am patient enough. I would like to win every game and I am really, really, really disappointed after a defeat," he said.

"But next morning the sun shines again. You have the chance to use it, this defeat and that’s what I love in this job.

"It's not about transfers. Right player, big money, I don't care. If we have it take it, use it. If we don't have it, don't say we have not enough money. Try a different way. That's all."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/klopp-i-dont-need-money#yGhreygWJTGupyCG.99

Jürgen's never needed money to build a winning squad mate and even though he'll have far more money than he ever had at Dortmund I doubt it'll change.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1252: Feb 29, 2016 08:35:15 pm
      To me, the signing of Mignolet really sums up FSG and the transfer committee's recruitment policy.

We sold Reina for him. Reina was sold not because he was on the decline (arguably was) but because his wages were high. So we brought in a cheaper alternative in terms of wages - and in this game, you get what you pay for. And Mignolet's wage is the one of a decent keeper - not a class keeper.

Well, no, we sold Reina for multiple reasons. We thought we could get a keeper who was younger, better, and cheaper. Reina also didn't get on well with Rodgers. That's valid reasoning. Selling Reina was the right thing to do. He needed to move on. The trouble is we replaced him with someone who wasn't much better than Reina was at that point (and that was Reina at his worst).

And too many times, this has occurred since 2012. The exit of Dirk Kuyt and Craig Bellamy? Two proven players who were worth their place at Liverpool - and we replaced them with the likes of Fabio Borini. A cheap alternative - and played like a cheap alternative too. And now he's slumming it with that dogs sh*t of a team Sunderland. It really isn't rocket science that you get what you pay for - and our wage structure is one which dictates that we are a mid table club.

Kuyt, Bellamy, and Maxi all wanted to leave for various reasons. Kuyt had been poor the previous season. Bellamy wanted to return to Cardiff for personal reasons. Maxi wanted to return to Argentina. Borini had been playing for Roma before that. And if you want to use the where are they now argument, Kuyt went to Fenerbahce after he left us and Bellamy went to Cardiff. Hardly playing at the highest level. We've the 5th highest wage bill in the league and we've been without Champions League football (and we've also not finished 5th very often either!) Our problem isn't the fact that we have a small wage bill, it's that we spend poorly.

That's the modern Liverpool for us - run by a bunch of clowns with low league experience who thought Borini was better than Kuyt. Rodgers was naive in thinking we'd got a class player, and while we can debate who signed who, the point is that guys like Mignolet and Borini are symptomatic of the quality of players we've been buying in recent years - not good enough for Liverpool FC. I don't doubt that there are genuine bargains out there - but is a hidden gem on the continent going to be found by the ex manager of Rushden & Diamond who relegated the club out of the football league? Not bloody likely.

Again, Kuyt in his final season was sh*te. At the time, Borini had just come off the back of a significantly better season with Roma than the one Kuyt had for us.

I don't expect guys with low league experience like Hunter, Fallows and co to spot a quality player considering they themselves are derived from the lower leagues, so their scope and mindset is pretty limited, as proven. And Brendan didn't have the eye for it either, perhaps for the same reasons. Now I'm not saying we spend beyond our means in terms of wages, but really we should have pooled our wage budget towards a few core excellent players, as opposed to spreading it thinly across mediocre players.

Hunter and Fallows have also worked at City. Stupid argument. Loads of backroom staff have to start low and work their way up the football pyramid. I'm not sure how you've decided what their mindset or scope is like considering you've never met either of them. That's a great plan, if only we could attract these great players to join us. It's also quite clear from what the likes of Tony Barrett and co. have said that this is something they want to try and do.

Yeah, and so far they have done. They've signed Matip on high wages and Grujic, and were willing to go further for Teixeira, but Klopp said no. I'm not sure where you get the idea that he's a more proven judge of players considering Klopp had a lot of help buying players at Dortmund. Klopp also isn't exactly renowned for following your strategy of putting most of our money towards stars/big names. I'm also not sure how you've decided FSG are arrogant in their ways, so far they've been completely willing to change things they've seen haven't worked in all areas of the club, or that the transfer committee are piss takers, but oh well, like the rest of this post, I suppose you've pulled it out your arse.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1253: Feb 29, 2016 08:41:20 pm
      Well, no, we sold Reina for multiple reasons. We thought we could get a keeper who was younger, better, and cheaper. Reina also didn't get on well with Rodgers. That's valid reasoning. Selling Reina was the right thing to do. He needed to move on. The trouble is we replaced him with someone who wasn't much better than Reina was at that point (and that was Reina at his worst).

Kuyt, Bellamy, and Maxi all wanted to leave for various reasons. Kuyt had been poor the previous season. Bellamy wanted to return to Cardiff for personal reasons. Maxi wanted to return to Argentina. Borini had been playing for Roma before that. And if you want to use the where are they now argument, Kuyt went to Fenerbahce after he left us and Bellamy went to Cardiff. Hardly playing at the highest level. We've the 5th highest wage bill in the league and we've been without Champions League football (and we've also not finished 5th very often either!) Our problem isn't the fact that we have a small wage bill, it's that we spend poorly.

Again, Kuyt in his final season was sh*te. At the time, Borini had just come off the back of a significantly better season with Roma than the one Kuyt had for us.

Hunter and Fallows have also worked at City. Stupid argument. Loads of backroom staff have to start low and work their way up the football pyramid. I'm not sure how you've decided what their mindset or scope is like considering you've never met either of them. That's a great plan, if only we could attract these great players to join us. It's also quite clear from what the likes of Tony Barrett and co. have said that this is something they want to try and do.

Yeah, and so far they have done. They've signed Matip on high wages and Grujic, and were willing to go further for Teixeira, but Klopp said no. I'm not sure where you get the idea that he's a more proven judge of players considering Klopp had a lot of help buying players at Dortmund. Klopp also isn't exactly renowned for following your strategy of putting most of our money towards stars/big names. I'm also not sure how you've decided FSG are arrogant in their ways, so far they've been completely willing to change things they've seen haven't worked in all areas of the club, or that the transfer committee are piss takers, but oh well, like the rest of this post, I suppose you've pulled it out your arse.

I love the revisionist history especially when we are throwing out the names of Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi....there leaving had nothing to do with wages, they all left for personal reasons but certain folks just don't want to remember.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #1254: Feb 29, 2016 09:09:03 pm

Nice to see Mike Gordon has joined the forum!

Blimey, working for City makes them great does it? It doesn't take a genius to spot that Toure, Aguero and Silva were great. And besides, look at City's transfer record and the vast number of players have been poor signings. The fact they could afford genuinely world class players papered over the cracks.

And you're telling me all about players wanting to leave - fine, but we still replaced them with dross didn't we? You speak of Borini as if he'd had a blinding season in Serie A - he did not. Add insult to injury he was the only striker we bought that summer.

And I'm well aware that Klopp got a lot of help from Dortmund structure - a structure that has a single Director of Football with a classy knowledgeable guy called Michael Zorc, not a hodge podge mess of a committee (always remember the saying a camel is a horse built via committee - well LFC is the camel of world football).

Do you really think Michael Zorc would have decided to replace a player of Suarez's quality with Mario Balotelli (full name Mario F***ing Balotelli)? But hey, because some of these guys were at City with a bottomless pit of money means they are brilliant minds.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1255: Feb 29, 2016 09:20:05 pm
      Jürgen's never needed money to build a winning squad mate and even though he'll have far more money than he ever had at Dortmund I doubt it'll change.

It wont Debs, as he basically says there he will spend big if the player fits but if we miss out because we don't have enough or choose not to pay then he will look elsewhere without flinching.

Too often we were either held to ransom by English teams or bought obscure players who were never used from abroad. I expect to see every purchase have a purpose and every player to know exactly why they were bought.

No more Assaidi's or Alberto's but also no more Benteke's and Lallana's.

I doubt we'll shop for any premier league players if I'm honest and that will cheer an awful lot of us up, not because other leagues have these mystical players of untold quality but principally because this league is sh*te, judging anyone on their form in this league is a tough enough task already.

Germany is a little gold mine and we'll have all the pulling power with Klopp, Guardiola of course will rule the roost but if we're not competing with him I think we can actually grab the odd player away from CL offering clubs (if of course we don't win the EL). Going to be a most informative and I believe exciting summer.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1256: Feb 29, 2016 09:47:47 pm

Rodgers wanted Reina out, it's something I was informed of, even before he took the job. What's strange about it, Pepe is almost a perfect keeper for Rodgers' style of play, at least when he took over.
      « Last Edit: Feb 29, 2016 11:39:26 pm by Roddenberry »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1257: Feb 29, 2016 09:58:18 pm
      Rodgers wanted Reina out, it's something I was informed of, even before he took the job

The question is then back to the original poster...what does it have to do with the TC?...The manger wanted him gone..he was let go...manager got what he wanted what does that have to do with FSG or the TC?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1258: Feb 29, 2016 10:20:59 pm
      It wont Debs, as he basically says there he will spend big if the player fits but if we miss out because we don't have enough or choose not to pay then he will look elsewhere without flinching.

Too often we were either held to ransom by English teams or bought obscure players who were never used from abroad. I expect to see every purchase have a purpose and every player to know exactly why they were bought.

I doubt we'll shop for any premier league players if I'm honest and that will cheer an awful lot of us up, not because other leagues have these mystical players of untold quality but principally because this league is sh*te, judging anyone on their form in this league is a tough enough task already.

Germany is a little gold mine and we'll have all the pulling power with Klopp, Guardiola of course will rule the roost but if we're not competing with him I think we can actually grab the odd player away from CL offering clubs (if of course we don't win the EL). Going to be a most informative and I believe exciting summer.

Personally I can't wait Luke. 

Like you say I believe that players will arrive knowing exactly why they're here, where they'll play and what's expected of them.  There will be a plan for each and every one of them rather than the hotch potch idea of get them in then let's see where they fit, if they ever fit. 

I'm sure there'll be a few for the future too but only if we don't already have someone similar at the Academy or on the fringe of the 1st team, unless they're super talented.  I also doubt we will get anyone already playing in the PL, although it wouldn't surprise me if we don't pick up the odd one from the lower leagues.

Naturally not all of them will be a success as that's nigh on impossible to achieve but I do think our success rate will be a lot higher than the post H&G era.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1259: Feb 29, 2016 11:34:25 pm
      Rodgers wanted Reina out, it's something I was informed of, even before he took the job. What's strange about it, Peper is almost a perfect keeper for Rodgers' style of play, at least when he took over.

He did .

Pepe was an Alpha player in the team like Stevie and Carra.

Rodgers couldn't deal with an achiever ego that would dominate  his. Pepe out.

Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #1260: Feb 29, 2016 11:35:38 pm

I doubt we'll shop for any premier league players if I'm honest and that will cheer an awful lot of us up, not because other leagues have these mystical players of untold quality but principally because this league is sh*te.

This.

For too long we HAVE been buying players without any purpose. Need a sweeper keeper? We get Mignolet who is the antithesis to that. Need to buy a top class centre forward to replace Suarez who can play a high pressing game? Buy Balotelli.

Utterly unbelievable - we have been buying players for the sake of it, and that is purely FSG's fault. Square pegs in round holes, they are bought on the basis of statistics and future sale value with absolutely no consideration towards how they would fit into the Liverpool team. Such a strategy is worthy of failure - no ifs, no buts, it has been horrifically reckless and when you get owners who don't care about building a balanced squad and only care for future value of individual players, then they deserve everything thrown at them. Sadly, if they f**k up, they bring us fans down too.

A shocking way to recruit. Rodgers eye for a transfer wasn't good, and this was exacerbated by the sheer bloody mindless incompetence of the transfer committee and FSG. Appalling.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #1261: Mar 01, 2016 12:30:07 am
      This.

For too long we HAVE been buying players without any purpose. Need a sweeper keeper? We get Mignolet who is the antithesis to that. Need to buy a top class centre forward to replace Suarez who can play a high pressing game? Buy Balotelli.

Utterly unbelievable - we have been buying players for the sake of it, and that is purely FSG's fault. Square pegs in round holes, they are bought on the basis of statistics and future sale value with absolutely no consideration towards how they would fit into the Liverpool team. Such a strategy is worthy of failure - no ifs, no buts, it has been horrifically reckless and when you get owners who don't care about building a balanced squad and only care for future value of individual players, then they deserve everything thrown at them. Sadly, if they f**k up, they bring us fans down too.

A shocking way to recruit. Rodgers eye for a transfer wasn't good, and this was exacerbated by the sheer bloody mindless incompetence of the transfer committee and FSG. Appalling.

Honesty, I think BR was as much to blame (if not more so) as the TC.  Brendan placed far too much emphasis on versatility - so we recruited players like Lallana, Milner, Borini, etc who were capable of playing multiple positions, but not great in any one certain role.  If Klopp can stop the influx of versatile players and just focus on players who fit specific roles in his team then I think it will be a massive improvement on the status quo.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1262: Mar 01, 2016 01:28:44 am
      Honesty, I think BR was as much to blame (if not more so) as the TC.  Brendan placed far too much emphasis on versatility - so we recruited players like Lallana, Milner, Borini, etc who were capable of playing multiple positions, but not great in any one certain role.  If Klopp can stop the influx of versatile players and just focus on players who fit specific roles in his team then I think it will be a massive improvement on the status quo.

Klopp has signed two players so far. Grujic, who can play attacking midfield, central midfield or defensive midfield, and Matip, who can play defensive midfield or central defender. Absolutely no difference in approach because versatility is part of any modern player and Rodgers was 100% correct in targeting versatile players. It's also premature to compare comparative success in the transfer market between managers since we have yet to see Grujic or Matip kick a ball for LFC.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #1263: Mar 01, 2016 01:29:43 am
      Klopp has signed two players so far. Grujic, who can play attacking midfield, central midfield or defensive midfield, and Matip, who can play defensive midfield or central defender. Absolutely no difference in approach because versatility is part of any modern player and Rodgers was 100% correct in targeting versatile players. It's also premature to compare comparative success in the transfer market between managers since we have yet to see Grujic or Matip kick a ball for LFC.
      Now, don't go using logic round here. That's not allowed.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #1264: Mar 01, 2016 01:44:16 am

I think you misunderstood my post.  I'm not comparing Rodgers to anyone.  Just pointing out that his preference for versatility has left us bereft of specialist players like wingers, deep lying playmakers, or destroyer CDM types.  Too many "jack of all trades, master of none" players is what we have at the moment, and I'm hoping Klopp can change that.

Quick Reply