Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The Transfer Committee Thread

Read 103553 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: The Transfer Committee Thread
      Reply #1357: Jan 28, 2017 08:06:02 pm
      I hope everyone remembers this week when the club tries to do the summer on the cheap and/or miss out on priority targets and pretend they'll get them in another window.

At lot of us were called names in the summer for daring to point out this squad had been left thin and this past month has exposed that.

The idea we can't find anyone to in world football is sh*te and the usual 'we tried' sh*t on Pulisic and Brandt... if only it could have been seen coming.

We needed more good players this past summer and we didn't get enough.

We needed more good players this winter and we wouldn't get them.

And we'll need more good players in the summer and I see a pattern emerging.

You are of course right mate, as were all those in the Summer who banged on about the squad being too weak, it's now obvious they were right. I think the important thing though is not who was right and wrong, because in fairness to those who disagreed at the time they were only backing the manager and what he was saying. Much more important than all that is what happens next season.

Personally I'm now beginning to think my pre season prediction of 6th is once more looking likely this time around, this a couple of months after I binned it off and was getting all excited like everyone else. There's no prizes though if I was actually "right all along" because I certainly didn't expect us to be right up the top of the table and playing the scintillating football we were earlier in the season, in that sense I was "wrong all along" to be honest. The frustrating bit is that we showed that we do actually have some very good players and a good team, what we don't have is any good players in reserve. In that sense it'll go down for me as a "what might have been" season, we really could have done something.

Like I say though it's going forward that matters. In some respects if we end up "only" qualifying for the Europa league it'll buy us a bit of time. The kids who have actually shown something this season TAA, Ejeira, Woodburn etc can represent us in that, and in the meantime we can get on with recruiting what we need. IMHO that's AT LEAST five first team quality players, not kids or prospects, but proper bona fide players. Obviously if we sell one (and it looks certain that Sturridge, Sakho and Lucas will go a least), then we need players to replace them too.

It's going to cost A LOT of money, and it'll need FSG to dig deep and for Jürgen to accept that the methodology which served him so well in Germany is going to need to be adapted to be successful in England. Reading between the lines of Jurgens prezzers I think he's getting it now, we just need the owners to properly back him and buy him the players he identifies.   
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #1358: Jan 28, 2017 08:37:40 pm
      I believe Jürgen said he had first/last word on transfers from the first day he arrived here....Very easy to blame others,but the manager is the one who calls the shots, not the scouts.

Gini, Grujic, Karius, Klaven, all the managers players.

And you also forget to mention Mane was Klopp's target too. As was Matip. Gini and Klaven have played for us during our most dominant phases this season. And you can't judge Grujic yet, nor pass off Karius either.

Still better than the majority of utter sh*te the Transfer Committee bought us. And that's the problem - Jurgens been mostly successful in his purchases but he can barely rely upon the hunk of sh*te he was left with.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1359: Jan 28, 2017 08:57:38 pm
      And you also forget to mention Mane was Klopp's target too. As was Matip. Gini and Klaven have played for us during our most dominant phases this season. And you can't judge Grujic yet, nor pass off Karius either.

Still better than the majority of utter sh*te the Transfer Committee bought us. And that's the problem - Jurgens been mostly successful in his purchases but he can barely rely upon the hunk of sh*te he was left with.

Firmino, Coutinho, Sturbridge, Clyne, Lallana?

Either way it's the boss's show now if the transfer people remain then that's because he wants them there....No more selective manager bought this TC bought that...It's all on the boss.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1360: Jan 28, 2017 09:06:37 pm
      Firmino, Coutinho, Sturbridge, Clyne, Lallana?

Either way it's the boss's show now if the transfer people remain then that's because he wants them there....No more selective manager bought this TC bought that...It's all on the boss.

It is on the boss there's no argument with that, but I just think that Jürgen was a little naive in the summer and he won't be making the same mistakes again. He now knows (and if he doesn't then we have got a huge problem) that the squad is way weaker than it needs to be in order to compete, and I'm sure he'll be knocking on FSG's door fairly soon with a wishlist.

In all honesty I think we're ALREADY seeing the beginnings of a power struggle with Jurgens comments about not signing players "for the sake of it". I commented a week or so ago that I cannot believe that the scouts, the committee men etc haven't been able to come up with a single name who is available and who could potentially improve us, it is inconceivable that out of the thousands of players worldwide that there is literally nobody who is gettable. I said last week the committee are probably busily suggesting players like Chris Brunt, AND THIS IMPORTANT, I'M NOT SAYING WE SHOULD SIGN CHRIS BRUNT (That's for the benefit of the forum user who got the wrong end of the stick last time, you know who you are). They're probably saying we ought to sign Saido Berahino, probably on their list is Patrick Van Arnholt, Robbie Brady, Nathan Redmond etc etc. I truly believe that when the boss says he is not prepared to sign players "just for the sake of it" what he is actually saying is "F*** off with your committee picks, I've told you who I want and if you won't sign THEM, I'll do without thanks".

If I'm right, it's a power struggle we desperately need Jürgen to win.       
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1361: Jan 28, 2017 09:12:31 pm

That's it we will have to bring St John back to play alongside Jesus,now we should score some goals.------ps bring big Rowdy back as well.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #1362: Feb 04, 2017 03:59:01 pm
      Can and Mignolet conspire to F**k up against Hull. Both committee signings because they were 'bargains'.

They're bargains because they are F***ing sh*te.

F**k off transfer committee and take your F***ing FSG out of this club with you, you bunch of cancerous c*nts.
      Redangel

• 8,313 posts | 1007 
      Reply #1363: Feb 04, 2017 06:04:13 pm
      Transfer committee my *rse, more like the stealing a living committee.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1364: Feb 07, 2017 11:38:19 am
      Something occurred to me recently. Alex Manninger. Remember him? The forgotten man at Anfield. Makes me wonder, was Karius meant to be a long term solution? Did Klopp want an experienced, first choice keeper to replace Mignolet and had Manninger thrust upon his squad instead? If having him at the club was Klopp's idea, given how error prone both our keepers have been this season, why hasn't he turned to the deeply experienced Manninger? Rodgers refused to play players who were signed against his will. I may be being paranoid but this has all the hallmarks of the TC's actions during the Rodgers' days.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #1365: Feb 07, 2017 11:40:00 am
      Something occurred to me recently. Alex Manninger. Remember him? The forgotten man at Anfield. Makes me wonder, was Karius meant to be a long term solution? Did Klopp want an experienced, first choice keeper to replace Mignolet and had Manninger thrust upon his squad instead? If having him at the club was Klopp's idea, given how error prone both our keepers have been this season, why hasn't he turned to the deeply experienced Manninger? Rodgers refused to play players who were signed against his will. I may be being paranoid but this has all the hallmarks of the TC's actions during the Rodgers' days.

I think it has more the hallmarks of buying an experienced 3rd choice keeper for a worse case scenario situation.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1366: Feb 07, 2017 11:40:36 am
      I think it has more the hallmarks of buying an experienced 3rd choice keeper for a worse case scenario situation.

How much 'worse case' does it get than both keepers are sh*te?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #1367: Feb 07, 2017 11:42:48 am
      How much 'worse case' does it get than both keepers are sh*te?

I think Karius deserves a decent amount of more games before we throw him in the bin and label him sh*te mate.

I'm talking more an unusual injury situation whee both got injured.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1368: Feb 07, 2017 12:19:18 pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Jürgen-klopp-explains-alex-manninger-11650815
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #1369: Feb 07, 2017 02:18:54 pm
      I thought we didn't have a committee anymore? I thought it was Klopp calling the shots?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9WbSiShlOs
      Son Of A Gun
      • Started Topic

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #1370: Feb 07, 2017 09:32:39 pm
      I thought we didn't have a committee anymore? I thought it was Klopp calling the shots?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9WbSiShlOs

Look at the players he didn't buy before he arrived. Duh.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1371: Feb 15, 2017 05:34:09 am
      More great foresight from the transfer committee! So we could've had Delli Ali and Van Dijk at the club!

Liverpool blocked attempt to sign Virgil van Dijk - Brendan Rodgers http://www.espnfc.com/story/3060385/liverpool-blocked-attempt-to-sign-virgil-van-dijk-brendan-rodgers
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #1372: Feb 15, 2017 11:18:22 am
      More great foresight from the transfer committee! So we could've had Delli Ali and Van Dijk at the club!

Liverpool blocked attempt to sign Virgil van Dijk - Brendan Rodgers http://www.espnfc.com/story/3060385/liverpool-blocked-attempt-to-sign-virgil-van-dijk-brendan-rodgers

And we believe everything Rodgers says? Right.  :mad:
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1373: Feb 15, 2017 04:20:42 pm

Have you any reason to doubt him?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1374: Feb 15, 2017 04:51:38 pm

Believe Rodgers more than thr transfer committee
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #1375: Feb 21, 2017 08:45:27 pm
      Its a shame our "committee" refused to follow up further on our initial links to Andre Gomes and Saul Niguez, the former primarily cos of his injury at that time.

Watching Saul today and in general, this season, he can be a real asset in the midfield!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1376: Feb 21, 2017 10:07:51 pm

Just goes to show the lack of clout Rodgers had. If Klopp wants a player then he won't be fobbed off.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #1377: Feb 22, 2017 08:42:19 am
      Just goes to show the lack of clout Rodgers had. If Klopp wants a player then he won't be fobbed off.

Very much doubt that KK, if the price doesn't suit the owners or is over their valuation they wont pay.

I fully expect us to be outbid on fee and wages by competing clubs once again.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1378: Feb 22, 2017 09:07:09 am
      Its a shame our "committee" refused to follow up further on our initial links to Andre Gomes and Saul Niguez, the former primarily cos of his injury at that time.

Watching Saul today and in general, this season, he can be a real asset in the midfield!

Re Andre Gomes I would say the committee did well there, have you seen him at Barca, completely out of his depth and for £46M  :lmao:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1379: Feb 22, 2017 04:57:07 pm
      Very much doubt that KK, if the price doesn't suit the owners or is over their valuation they wont pay.

I fully expect us to be outbid on fee and wages by competing clubs once again.

So you are saying Klopp is bullshitting us by saying he has the say on transfers?
      Do you really think he'd have signed a new 6 year deal if he didn't have control of transfers?
      Mane was apparently wanted by Rodgers but he wasn't given the backing. Low and behold, Klopp wants him and gets him for a lot more than what Rodgers would have signed him for.

Who have we been outbid by and for what players?

Quick Reply