Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The Transfer Committee Thread

Read 103664 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: The Transfer Committee Thread
      Reply #437: Oct 09, 2015 09:21:37 pm
      Well whoever's on there now (the committee), Jürgen didn't seem to give a f*ck about it today when asked. Either any problems are 100% sorted out, Jürgen has been told a load of bollocks and is being naïve in believing it's true, or we all overestimated the importance of the thing in the first place.

My guess is rather than a fault in the system, it was a breakdown between the people in/on it. Swapping the purchase of players either the committee wanted or Brendan wanted like Panini stickers (as in the Benteke/Firmino fiasco) was clearly a complete and utter nonsense. That is of course unless Firmino was actually a "Klopp" pick rather than a "committee" one. Stranger things have happened.

Agree with most of that mate, as for Firmino, I remember Arsenal bought Vierra before Wenger came in as manager but on Wenger's recommendation, so it is possible.  Just depends on where things stood with Klopp at the time I suppose. Like you I think the job may have been offered to him in the summer ... but for whatever reason they couldn't quite get their man at the time. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #438: Oct 09, 2015 09:25:48 pm
      Agree with most of that mate, as for Firmino, I remember Arsenal bought Vierra before Wenger came in as manager but on Wenger's recommendation, so it is possible.  Just depends on where things stood with Klopp at the time I suppose. Like you I think the job may have been offered to him in the summer ... but for whatever reason they couldn't quite get their man at the time.

I think it was BBB who hinted at that possibility (of Firmino and Benteke coming on Klopp's recommendation or something like that), given both players were previously linked to Dortmund quite a few times. I really have no idea and I'm not sure if I like the idea of such a thing happening, but who knows... I do think Firmino has a greater chance of being a success at LFC now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #439: Oct 09, 2015 09:33:45 pm
      Well it seemed to good to be true that some people on here could avoid squabbling like little kids for a day or so. Normal service has been resumed it seems
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #440: Oct 09, 2015 09:37:43 pm
      I think it was BBB who hinted at that possibility (of Firmino and Benteke coming on Klopp's recommendation or something like that), given both players were previously linked to Dortmund quite a few times. I really have no idea and I'm not sure if I like the idea of such a thing happening, but who knows... I do think Firmino has a greater chance of being a success at LFC now.

I think the good thing is that we will be able to have a fairer assessment of players now, that if they don't get a game it will be either because they aren't good enough or don't suit our tactics , rather than wondering is it because he wasn't a Brendan buy etc etc.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #441: Oct 09, 2015 09:40:08 pm
      I think the good thing is that we will be able to have a fairer assessment of players now, that if they don't get a game it will be either because they aren't good enough or don't suit our tactics , rather than wondering is it because he wasn't a Brendan buy etc etc.

A fair point Saint.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #442: Oct 09, 2015 09:50:34 pm
      Sir Alex Ferguson has hailed Jürgen Klopp as a "good appointment" for Liverpool but predicted trouble ahead with the transfer committee, the legendary Manchester United manager told ESPN FC in an interview.

Liverpool hired Klopp as their manager on Thursday four days after sacking Brendan Rodgers, and Ferguson revealed that he's an admirer of the former Borussia Dortmund boss -- even if he has taken over a rival club.

"Well it's a good appointment. I admire him," Ferguson told ESPN FC's Shaka Hislop. "I know Jürgen pretty well through our meetings at [FIFA] coaches' classes in Geneva.

"Strong personality, very strong, very stubborn, determined and his performances, and his career at Dortmund was a stellar rise to the top and I think he'll do very well.

"I don't like saying that, being Liverpool, because I'm worried about it but, no, he'll do well."

Klopp has agreed to work with a transfer committee at Liverpool, calling the situation "not a problem."

But Ferguson rejected the concept of a committee, instead suggesting that the manager should have complete control.

"If you don't trust your manager, why have him there? You've got to trust your coach," said Ferguson, who is in the United States promoting his new book "Leading."

"Here's the man that should be deciding which kind of player he wants, the type of player, position he wants, his character he wants. It's the manager who knows more than anyone about what he needs as a coach.

"And I think that, there's a lot of this happening in the game now, these 'Moneyball' ideas about looking at statistics of players and bypassing the manager's thoughts, and I think it's wrong."

At his introductory news conference on Friday, Klopp insisted that he has "the first and the last word on transfers," but Ferguson said he did not believe there would be clear skies between Klopp and his transfer panel.

"Why give him a job if he can't do it?" Ferguson said. "When they're sitting around that table to appoint a manager, do they say, well, 'He can be part of the committee?' That's wrong, and I don't think Jürgen Klopp will accept that."

Another few copies of the book sold on Klopp's back?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #443: Oct 09, 2015 09:51:35 pm
      Sir Alex Ferguson has hailed Jürgen Klopp as a "good appointment" for Liverpool but predicted trouble ahead with the transfer committee, the legendary Manchester United manager told ESPN FC in an interview.

Liverpool hired Klopp as their manager on Thursday four days after sacking Brendan Rodgers, and Ferguson revealed that he's an admirer of the former Borussia Dortmund boss -- even if he has taken over a rival club.

"Well it's a good appointment. I admire him," Ferguson told ESPN FC's Shaka Hislop. "I know Jürgen pretty well through our meetings at [FIFA] coaches' classes in Geneva.

"Strong personality, very strong, very stubborn, determined and his performances, and his career at Dortmund was a stellar rise to the top and I think he'll do very well.

"I don't like saying that, being Liverpool, because I'm worried about it but, no, he'll do well."

Klopp has agreed to work with a transfer committee at Liverpool, calling the situation "not a problem."

But Ferguson rejected the concept of a committee, instead suggesting that the manager should have complete control.

"If you don't trust your manager, why have him there? You've got to trust your coach," said Ferguson, who is in the United States promoting his new book "Leading."

"Here's the man that should be deciding which kind of player he wants, the type of player, position he wants, his character he wants. It's the manager who knows more than anyone about what he needs as a coach.

"And I think that, there's a lot of this happening in the game now, these 'Moneyball' ideas about looking at statistics of players and bypassing the manager's thoughts, and I think it's wrong."

At his introductory news conference on Friday, Klopp insisted that he has "the first and the last word on transfers," but Ferguson said he did not believe there would be clear skies between Klopp and his transfer panel.

"Why give him a job if he can't do it?" Ferguson said. "When they're sitting around that table to appoint a manager, do they say, well, 'He can be part of the committee?' That's wrong, and I don't think Jürgen Klopp will accept that."

And talking sh*te while he's at it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #444: Oct 09, 2015 09:59:58 pm

You're sinking to terrible lows now S@int, Alex Ferguson and ESPN!  :f_whistle:

Never like giving credit to whiskey nose but he sums it up quite well.

Just from scanning the other thread too, there's a difference between compromising on your top targets. As Jürgen said himself, he doesn't expect to be signing Cristiano and Lionel, but he does expect top quality players that will fit his system. If people translate that into the 1 for you, 1 for me crap we had under Brendan then that's their choice, I know and thank my lucky stars that they're wrong.

Pearce (the voice of the club) has already been on twitter saying how the focus of the committee will now change to getting in one or two top quality players in the transfer windows (something every sane fan has been shouting since forever). The shift is marked, it's obvious and I can't wait to see us poaching just a couple of Dortmund's players.

Not sure we'll quite get Reus, although I'd bloody love that, but a Hummels (start with the defence eh Jürgen?) and Gundogan (who's been extremely free with his words in the press recently) that could easily be a couple of targets near the top of our list.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #445: Oct 09, 2015 10:00:12 pm
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #446: Oct 09, 2015 10:00:21 pm

The bollocks is stirring the sh*t already , he sounds worried when you hear him commenting on our new man .

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #447: Oct 09, 2015 10:03:08 pm
      The bollocks is stirring the sh*t already , he sounds worried when you hear him commenting on our new man .

I think everyone knows that Klopp is no Roy Hodgson mate.... I think they are all worried!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #448: Oct 09, 2015 10:06:52 pm
      You're sinking to terrible lows now S@int, Alex Ferguson and ESPN!  :f_whistle:

Never like giving credit to whiskey nose but he sums it up quite well.

Just from scanning the other thread too, there's a difference between compromising on your top targets. As Jürgen said himself, he doesn't expect to be signing Cristiano and Lionel, but he does expect top quality players that will fit his system. If people translate that into the 1 for you, 1 for me crap we had under Brendan then that's their choice, I know and thank my lucky stars that they're wrong.

Pearce (the voice of the club) has already been on twitter saying how the focus of the committee will now change to getting in one or two top quality players in the transfer windows (something every sane fan has been shouting since forever). The shift is marked, it's obvious and I can't wait to see us poaching just a couple of Dortmund's players.

Not sure we'll quite get Reus, although I'd bloody love that, but a Hummels (start with the defence eh Jürgen?) and Gundogan (who's been extremely free with his words in the press recently) that could easily be a couple of targets near the top of our list.
      Hummels would be an excellent start , we now have a manager that commands the utmost respect of the worlds best players so it would make sense that the draw of LFC is looking a lot brighter .

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #449: Oct 09, 2015 10:09:33 pm
      And talking sh*te while he's at it.

F**k him, demented arl tw*t
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #450: Oct 09, 2015 10:10:03 pm
      Hummels would be an excellent start , we now have a manager that commands the utmost respect of the worlds best players so it would make sense that the draw of LFC is looking a lot brighter .

Oh the calibre of player we go after will be night and day mate. The prices wont change much but the prices we've been paying have been massive anyway. The wage structure may bend a little to accommodate and that would only make sense for a new manager wanting his top priorities.

I've always got the impression with Hummels that he never wanted to move to United even though they've chased him forever. I wonder if the appeal of Klopp might just be enough to lure him away from the Westfalenstadion. Could be, I wont deny I'm hopeful where before I would have said absolutely no chance.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #451: Oct 09, 2015 10:12:58 pm

Good job too or we might struggle now Gerrards gone. Can't imagine Jürgen will need to ask anyone else to make the call when we need a player.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #452: Oct 09, 2015 10:13:17 pm
      I think everyone knows that Klopp is no Roy Hodgson mate.... I think they are all worried!
      And so they should be , we're not too far away from CL spot .

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #453: Oct 09, 2015 10:15:50 pm
      And so they should be , we're not too far away from CL spot .

I'm going to re-assess our position at Christmas, not going to build any castles in the air till then... after that who knows.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #454: Oct 09, 2015 10:16:22 pm
      What about Howedes? Klopp would never be able to sign him to Dortmund given he's Schalke's captain but I've been a fan of that lad since he was a youngster and would love him at LFC. Pair him with Hummels and... ah whatever, I'm thinking too far ahead :D It's nice to be dreaming about those things though!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #455: Oct 09, 2015 10:42:09 pm
      “We gave Brendan an opportunity to see if we could improve this season. There was some very good football last season and some not so good football. There were some challenges that dealt with injuries and we brought in some new players that Brendan recommended that we thought would take us forward. We are where we are. Brendan is an outstanding manager and we decided to move in a different direction and I am very optimistic.

Think this confirms what many suspected that this summers transfers were more Brendan than TC.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #456: Oct 09, 2015 10:43:33 pm
      I'm going to re-assess our position at Christmas, not going to build any castles in the air till then... after that who knows.
      I've been too pessimistic for too long s@int , We'll go places with Klopp i'm sure of it .

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #457: Oct 09, 2015 10:53:08 pm
      I've been too pessimistic for too long s@int , We'll go places with Klopp i'm sure of it .

So have I mate. I am just a little concerned about the quality and balance of our squad. Are they poor tools as Brendan suggested or was he just a bad workman?

Like you I am sure Klopp will bring us success given the backing and the time, just not sure yet how long it will take.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #458: Oct 09, 2015 10:55:39 pm

Hummels would be fantastic if only for the reason that United have tried -- and failed -- signing him for like 4 years running.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #459: Oct 09, 2015 10:56:51 pm
      What about Howedes? Klopp would never be able to sign him to Dortmund given he's Schalke's captain but I've been a fan of that lad since he was a youngster and would love him at LFC. Pair him with Hummels and... ah whatever, I'm thinking too far ahead :D It's nice to be dreaming about those things though!

Love Howedes! We've discussed him before I think. Patrick Herrmann too.

F**k it, just import Der Manschaft :laugh:

Quick Reply