Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

The past

Read 2039 times
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb
      • Started Topic

• 173 posts | 19 
      The past
      May 29, 2015 09:25:26 pm
      Right, I'm going to say it....

Why, when I read the Liverpool Echo do I have to rwad a story about  2005 Champions final?

Now don't get me wrong, that was a very special night, with me forever ever, and probably ever Liverpool supporter old enough to remember. But half our problem lies in the fact we can rjust surround ourselves in past achievement and sometimes the truth hurts.

We should be f***ing fuming.

Just step back, sold by a local businessman to some cowboys, near bust, and rescued by some cold calculating business men with a "theory" of how to win the league.

We don't have a wealthy oligarch, bloody hell, I can remember Chelsea in the second division. So what now? Hope we have uncovered the manager everyone was looking for? Sorr boys and girls, it doesn't happen like that. Something else has to change.

So, in simple terms new owners? New manager? Let's face it, one or the other is key and probably both to be honest. I apologise for my ramblings, but I cannot bear hanging on to 2005 is the answer to appeasing the fans, despite the memories. We need a bit more anger, not a 2005 comfort blanket to change things....
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: The past
      Reply #1: May 29, 2015 09:27:10 pm
      Dear God no.....its called history.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb
      • Started Topic

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #2: May 29, 2015 09:32:20 pm
      Don't get me wrong, I remember Alan Kennedy scoring the winner in 84.

I just want my back page to be writing a new chapter. Not meaning to offend anyone.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3: May 29, 2015 09:42:43 pm
      Don't get me wrong, I remember Alan Kennedy scoring the winner in 84.

I just want my back page to be writing a new chapter. Not meaning to offend anyone.

Memories and history is what drives people on to greater things . We need a huge change in the club to get anywhere near being successful.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #4: May 30, 2015 03:08:26 am
      'The future is in the past' is perhaps an old adage by which Liverpool fans are criticised for believing in too literally at times. And I do think there is an unrealistic tendency by some to call upon legends from the past to 'save the club' by coming in to manage us. Our past history should be inspiration, but we should never be constrained by it. When we do that, we are in danger of pigeon-holing what IS Liverpool, and what ISN'T Liverpool.

For example, I realise that many would want Rafa and Kenny back as manager, but in all seriousness, their moment has passed. And being brutally honest, unless I see ample evidence of genuine coaching quality and experience from Gerrard and Carragher, I don't want them anywhere near the managerial role, and no amount of sentiment will change my stance on that.

More relevant to the argument however, I was as gutted as anyone at the time that both Rafa and Kenny were sacked, but I wouldn't go back to them to drive us forward. But there is always inspiration and proof of the qualities in teams of the past that is deeply engrained in Liverpool supporters subconscience, such as the winning mentality that is derived from the hard work, intelligence, fearlessness and sheer ruthless leadership from ex-players and managers. And I think the Champions League 2005 and the men who contributed to that epitomises the mental characteristics by which Liverpool need to succeed. And so timely reminders refresh our minds and instil in a younger generation of what is required.

I believe our future and the success we desire is in men with these charecteristics who aren't connected to the club in anyway but will, in their own time, become legends. Our priorities should be focused on finding and making those legends, not relying on old ones.
      « Last Edit: May 30, 2015 03:26:36 am by Son Of A Gun »
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #5: May 30, 2015 04:32:41 am
      Guys I think you are jumping on the OP in a wrong manner.

I think I understand what he is saying.  We as a club have a proud and successful history.  But it doesn't seem like we are adding onto that history so we keep falling back onto past milestones. 

In this sense I agree with OP.  It has been a drought but one with a rollercoaster ride.  Hopefully we are on the up and stay up this time.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: May 30, 2015 06:40:05 am
      'The future is in the past' is perhaps an old adage by which Liverpool fans are criticised for believing in too literally at times. And I do think there is an unrealistic tendency by some to call upon legends from the past to 'save the club' by coming in to manage us. Our past history should be inspiration, but we should never be constrained by it. When we do that, we are in danger of pigeon-holing what IS Liverpool, and what ISN'T Liverpool.

For example, I realise that many would want Rafa and Kenny back as manager, but in all seriousness, their moment has passed. And being brutally honest, unless I see ample evidence of genuine coaching quality and experience from Gerrard and Carragher, I don't want them anywhere near the managerial role, and no amount of sentiment will change my stance on that.

More relevant to the argument however, I was as gutted as anyone at the time that both Rafa and Kenny were sacked, but I wouldn't go back to them to drive us forward. But there is always inspiration and proof of the qualities in teams of the past that is deeply engrained in Liverpool supporters subconscience, such as the winning mentality that is derived from the hard work, intelligence, fearlessness and sheer ruthless leadership from ex-players and managers. And I think the Champions League 2005 and the men who contributed to that epitomises the mental characteristics by which Liverpool need to succeed. And so timely reminders refresh our minds and instil in a younger generation of what is required.

I believe our future and the success we desire is in men with these charecteristics who aren't connected to the club in anyway but will, in their own time, become legends. Our priorities should be focused on finding and making those legends, not relying on old ones.

Nail, hit head & punched mate, couldn't agree more,

YNWA

Quick Reply