Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Christian Benteke (Aston Villa) - SIGNED BY LFC

Read 164410 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Re: Cristian Benteke (Aston Villa)
      Reply #23: May 27, 2015 01:39:54 pm
      I'll happily swim against the current with this one. Benteke is a much, much better footballer that he's being given credit for here; much more than just a target man and (whisper it quietly) far better, right now than Origi, Lambert, Balotelli and Borini.

Agree with this. But....

Have you seen Benteke play he doesn't run the channels he doesn't press.
      In fact why did Rodgers bother getting rid of Carroll if this is his preferred style of play.

Our players can't put a decent corner into the box never mind a decent cross.

I also agree with this. I just don't think BR is willing or able to change his style to suit a player like Benteke. If he was willing to change, he would have done so this season to cater to Lambert and/or Balotelli. I think if we sign Benteke we will just try to shoehorn him into a style that doesn't suit his strengths. Another square peg I'm afraid....
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: May 27, 2015 01:51:31 pm
      Agree with this. But....

I also agree with this. I just don't think BR is willing or able to change his style to suit a player like Benteke. If he was willing to change, he would have done so this season to cater to Lambert and/or Balotelli. I think if we sign Benteke we will just try to shoehorn him into a style that doesn't suit his strengths. Another square peg I'm afraid....

Or... It could mean a change of style.

Or... A change of manager.

Or... It could be a further indication, if one is still needed, that Brendan actually does not dictate policy.  :o

IF we pursue and sign him, of course. 

None of which makes him a bad footballer... ;)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25: May 27, 2015 01:52:06 pm
      Signing quality up front has to be the NO.1 priority now.

Arsenal are linked with Karim Benzema.

We are linked wth Ings and Benteke.

Seems to me like we are heading in exactly same direction as last summer ... setting our sights TOO low.

Getting worried ...
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #26: May 27, 2015 02:11:18 pm
      Or... It could mean a change of style.

Or... A change of manager.

Or... It could be a further indication, if one is still needed, that Brendan actually does not dictate policy.  :o

IF we pursue and sign him, of course. 

None of which makes him a bad footballer... ;)

Never said he was a bad footballer. I also don't think either Balotelli or Lambert are bad football players. They just happened to play for a manager who either didn't want to or know how to play to their strengths....

I would welcome a change of style, but I don't think Brendan will do so.

I would welcome a change of manager because I think there are others out there who could do Mich better with the players currently at the club.

However, if BR is here to start next season then I'd rather get players who fit his philosophy of free flowing, pass and move, attack minded footie. Vietto, Lacazette, Fekir, Raffael, Aubameyang, etc.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #27: May 27, 2015 02:28:33 pm
      Is Benteke about the level of player we can attract though. I assume we will start the process of signing players from the 1st June and after the FA Cup. Cant wait to be underwhelmed.i think we should forget Daniel and prepare for life without him and if he does get fit it will be a massive bonus.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #28: May 27, 2015 02:37:12 pm
      Never said he was a bad footballer. I also don't think either Balotelli or Lambert are bad football players. They just happened to play for a manager who either didn't want to or know how to play to their strengths....

I would welcome a change of style, but I don't think Brendan will do so.

I would welcome a change of manager because I think there are others out there who could do Mich better with the players currently at the club.

However, if BR is here to start next season then I'd rather get players who fit his philosophy of free flowing, pass and move, attack minded footie. Vietto, Lacazette, Fekir, Raffael, Aubameyang, etc.

Agree. A Klopp or a Rafa would get Mario playing well and scoring. Can't see much difference between Mario and Benteke tbh. Both big target men who require decent service. Something Mario has not received in his time here and something I can't see changing anytime soon, especially as it will require the likes of Henderson, Sterling and Coutinho to lob in crosses which isn't their forté. Lallana atm is probably the player must likely to supply decent service.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #29: May 27, 2015 02:59:09 pm
      The thing with Benteke is, in isolation, he's a fine striker. In the right system, he can become a beast. My doubts lie not with the player (injury issues aside), but with our playing style. Benteke would be immense for a team like Chelsea, for example.

Which is what's a bit frustrating. A player who would fit our current style perfectly are guys like Vietto, whose release clause is 6m LESS than any initial bid we'd make for Benteke.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #30: May 27, 2015 03:30:39 pm
      Signing quality up front has to be the NO.1 priority now.

Arsenal are linked with Karim Benzema.

We are linked wth Ings and Benteke.

Seems to me like we are heading in exactly same direction as last summer ... setting our sights TOO low.

Getting worried ...

We are witnessing the death of Liverpool Football Club as a force in domestic and European football. Upper mid-table is our 'par' now, competing for a Europa league place and the occasional domestic trophy. Year after year FSG shows no ambition whatsoever. They've got to go.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #31: May 27, 2015 03:38:55 pm
      At least Mario will have company on the bench with possibly Lambert too all three strikers like Andy Carrol who do not fit in with brendans idea of a forward.
      Now that Messi bloke he might do a job.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #32: May 27, 2015 05:09:31 pm
      This raises some interesting questions though. Either Rodgers is most definitely keeping his job or he's not entirely in control of transfers as he would have us to believe.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #33: May 27, 2015 05:15:08 pm
      They just happened to play for a manager who either didn't want to or know how to play to their strengths....
      Or, like I said, didn't want them in the first place. Got to make wonder  (if you're being evenhanded, that is), who's deciding on the football philosophy or who indeed should be... the manager or the 'transfer committee?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015 01:37:31 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #34: May 27, 2015 05:18:35 pm
      So, 2 Belgians and 2 Englishmen as our striking options.. lets see where the 2 Italians end up at!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #35: May 27, 2015 05:44:48 pm
      I'm not actually against the idea of Benteke playing for us, but I just worry if that is our  "marquee" signing of the summer.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36: May 27, 2015 05:46:44 pm
      We are witnessing the death of Liverpool Football Club as a force in domestic and European football. Upper mid-table is our 'par' now, competing for a Europa league place and the occasional domestic trophy. Year after year FSG shows no ambition whatsoever. They've got to go.

Please leave the hysterics out of it. I think in future people will judge 'the death of Liverpool FC as a force in domestic and European football' occurred when H&G held on for one year too long not the summer of 2015. It was just one year - but it was enough to finally do the damage on the field. There was only so much Rafa could have done from it sliding into oblivion as happened in 2009-2010.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #37: May 27, 2015 05:51:24 pm
      Or, like I said, didn't want them in the first place. Got to make wondeer  (if you're being evenhanded, that is), who's deciding on the football philosophy or who indeed should be... the manager or the 'transfer committee?

I'll buy into the idea that he never wanted Balotelli. However, I also think it's pretty clear that he did want both Borini and Lambert, and both have failed spectacularly under his leadership.

I was quick to lavish praise on the manager last season. He helped coax the best out of Suarez, Sturridge, Hendo, Coutinho, and Sterling, and was the mastermind behind Gerrard's dazzling form in the deep lying playmaker role. Everything he did last season seemed to work well. However, he made plenty of mistakes this season and I think he has to be held accountable for them.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #38: May 27, 2015 06:29:08 pm
      I'll buy into the idea that he never wanted Balotelli.
      Fair enough and by default he might not actually want Benteke: yes?

However, I also think it's pretty clear that he did want both Borini and Lambert, and both have failed spectacularly under his leadership.

I was quick to lavish praise on the manager last season. He helped coax the best out of Suarez, Sturridge, Hendo, Coutinho, and Sterling, and was the mastermind behind Gerrard's dazzling form
      Surely you see the gulf in class between the first set of players you mention and Rickie & Fabio: yes?

Now... surely you're not really going to be too hard on Brendan for not being able to polish a turd. Unless you genuinely believe any manager (other than Brendan, obviously) could have made them into champions: in which case, you're obviously entitled to your opinion but I'll respectfully disagree.

Both players were easy to pay for a reason mate.

harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #39: May 27, 2015 07:11:19 pm

Fair enough and by default he might not actually want Benteke: yes?

Possibly. Regardless of who is responsible for signing the players we need a manager who can get the best out of those players. So, if Benteke is our top transfer target then I hope that we are seriously looking for a new manager who knows how to properly utilize such a player.

Surely you see the gulf in class between the first set of players you mention and Rickie & Fabio: yes?

Now... surely you're not really going to be too hard on Brendan for not being able to polish a turd. Unless you genuinely believe any manager (other than Brendan, obviously) could have made them into champions: in which case, you're obviously entitled to your opinion but I'll respectfully disagree.

Both players were easy to pay for a reason mate.

I'll admit there is a gulf in class between the likes of Borini/Lambert and Coutinho/Studge. However, Balotelli has league winners medals from Serie A and the Prem. He also has a Euro 2012 runners up medal. He wasn't just a bystander in the teams that won these. He was an active  participant in these teams. He is, in my opinion, just as talented as the aforementioned group including Studge, Hendo, Coutinho, etc. I still believe he can be a great player if properly utilized. However, Brendan seemed more content to blame him when things went wrong rather than adjust the formation/tactics to get the best out of him....
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #40: May 27, 2015 07:13:46 pm
      Please leave the hysterics out of it. I think in future people will judge 'the death of Liverpool FC as a force in domestic and European football' occurred when H&G held on for one year too long not the summer of 2015. It was just one year - but it was enough to finally do the damage on the field. There was only so much Rafa could have done from it sliding into oblivion as happened in 2009-2010.

Why is it hysterical? I certainly use some hyperbole but what ambition is being shown by a club whose primary Summer targets are Danny Ings and Christian Benteke? Does that say that we're determined to compete with the best in England? Does it say we want to do well in Europe? Those are signings you'd expect Everton or some other mid-table team to make, not one that's trying to break back in to the top four. We fu**ed it up last Summer and we're F***ing it up again this Summer because we are intent on buying players far below our stated ambitions.

As for the 2009-10 season, yes but we had recovered last season. Regardless of the reasons why we where able to finish in the top four and have over £100 million at our disposal, we did and we failed to take advantage of the circumstances we found ourselves in, preferring to buy instead players would have joined us had we finished mid-table only to F**k the entire season up as a result and find ourselves back to square one. So yes, we are facing the death of ourselves as a serious force in football, not for the first time but for the second and given the fact this time we're holding the gun to our very own head, it's nothing short of criminal.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #41: May 27, 2015 07:33:59 pm
      Hit the nail on the head with this one. Scary times ahead if we splurge all our cash on Benteke.

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #42: May 27, 2015 09:08:48 pm
      Get him before Barcelona do . :roll:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #43: May 28, 2015 12:06:49 am
      Regardless of who is responsible for signing the players we need a manager who can get the best out of those players.
      Serious question Harry - save me the bother of checking back:

Do you not agree with the ethos of a 'football philosophy', you know; the idea that a club should play a particular style of football, with all players, [from youth right through to first XI], schooled and immersed in that philosophy and... that above all else - the philosophy remains constant?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #44: May 28, 2015 12:29:38 am
      I guess if you look at it as a Benteke swap for Lambert, Balo and Borini it doesn't look so bad.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #45: May 28, 2015 12:49:06 am
      However, Brendan seemed more content to blame him when things went wrong rather than adjust the formation/tactics to get the best out of him....
      And... believe it or not... you've got folk who want to blame Brendan for not being able (or willing) to polish a turd. Many of whom will have undoubtedly slated Balotelli (amongst others) in the player thread: who are "more content" to blame Brendan by clutching at straws in the speculative 'if and maybe' game, without playing the game in a fair and equitable manner.

So let's play the 'if and maybe' game and let's be honest and fair:-

* If Brendan had have been able to get more from Balotelli, (by changing the system which saw up finish 2nd and building the team around Mario), then maybe we would have finished top 4 and wouldn't be having this debate but...

* What IF Mario was either good enough or intelligent enough, [yeah I know; Mario and "intelligent" in the same sentence], to adapt: MAYBE we would have finished top 4 and wouldn't be having this debate or...

* What IF the committee had signed the type of player who was an actual fit; a player Brendan wanted instead of someone who he'd have to change our whole style of play to maybe get the best out of him: MAYBE we would have finished top 4 and wouldn't be having this debate or...

* What IF, (when it was F***ing obvious, to everyone who knows a ball is blown up and not stuffed, that we needed one), we had signed a top striker in January: MAYBE we would have finished top 4 and wouldn't be having this debate or... well I could go on but you'll get my drift.

When you think about it - we are being asked to believe that people would be happy to go into next season with Balotelli, Lambert and Borini, as our three go to strikers... as long as we had a new manager - you know one who could get the best out of them.

This whole 'but Brendan should have been able to polish a turd because someone else could have' argument is quite frankly, absurd.   >:D

On topic: Benteke is a way better striker than any of the aforementioned.

Quick Reply