Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Christian Benteke (Aston Villa) - SIGNED BY LFC

Read 164404 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Re: Cristian Benteke (Aston Villa)
      Reply #46: May 28, 2015 01:03:24 am
      I do believe a club should have an ethos and employ it from top to bottom. I believe players should be signed who either fit that ethos, or are young enough to adapt. I also believe that top teams are generally built around a solid defense, which is something our current manager claimed was easy to coach, but has yet to prove....

We can play the what if game all day, but at the end of it you will still have your opinion and I'll have mine. I think there are better managers out there that would be better for this club now and moving forward.

Regarding Benteke, I think he is a good player. I think he could be a beast in the right setup, but I also think Balotelli could be a beast in the right setup. I don't think Brendan is the right manager to get the best out of either player....
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #47: May 28, 2015 01:19:55 am
      When Benteke was playing well and scoring, last season and the season before, he had a player behind him, in Andreas Weimann, who not exactly pulled the strings, put created space, used the ball well.  I like Weimann, but he's found his level, but Coutinho behind Benteke.  Sign me up. 

I'm not saying we can't get better, but if this is who the boss wants, I can't see the reason to deny him, I just see that partnership working.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #48: May 28, 2015 01:42:18 am
      When Benteke was playing well and scoring, last season and the season before, he had a player behind him, in Andreas Weimann, who not exactly pulled the strings, put created space, used the ball well.  I like Weimann, but he's found his level, but Coutinho behind Benteke.  Sign me up. 

I'm not saying we can't get better, but if this is who the boss wants, I can't see the reason to deny him, I just see that partnership working.

Lallana would be better. Lallana is better playing off a target player and I believe both would bring out the best in each other rather than Coutinho behind Benteke.

Coutinho likes players playing off the shoulder and making runs into space, where as Lallana is a different #10 and thrives on playing off players and hurt opposition more with his movement.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #49: May 28, 2015 10:38:47 am
      I do believe a club should have an ethos and employ it from top to bottom. I believe players should be signed who either fit that ethos, or are young enough to adapt.
      That's good to hear.

But yet... you said "Regardless of who is responsible for signing the players we need a manager who can get the best out of those players." Something which clearly flies in the face of your beliefs.

If a manager has to change the ethos/philosophy and playing style, to accommodate a signing, then clearly the ethos/philosophy actually means next best thing to F**k all. Because if it genuinely did - you'd be going after the person who's actions demanded a move away from the ethos, you say you believe in, rather than a manager who won't desert the ethos so readily.

The truth obviously being that whoever is responsible for signing players should only be signing the players we need; i.e. players who fit that ethos. They shouldn't be signing players who are clearly outside of that ethos/philosophy.

I think there are better managers out there that would be better for this club now and moving forward.
      Yeah you're probably right Harry - just as I know there are owners out there who would also be better for this club.

Tell you what Harry - I'm a fair man - I'll make you a promise right here and now; a promise you can bookmark and bank.

If Brendan Rodgers is still our manager, come September, I will hold him personally accountable for any and all transfers this Summer [* I'll explain why further down]. Furthermore...

If come the end of the season, all things being equal [injuries bad luck] he has failed to get the best from those new players; I will stand up and I will demand his sacking.

* The reason? Although Brendan hinted at discontent with transfer policy before; it's only when Gerrard announced his retirement that he actually said openly and clearly that he needed "ready-made", proven, quality if the club is to progress to the "next level" and that the owners were aware of this.

Now, if after declaring this and if he stays, it will indicate to me one of two things. Either he's got his wish and signed the players he feels we need or that he's got no balls, no integrity and is wholly compliant with what FSG are doing. He will therefore have to live or die based on those transfers.

I could ask that you reciprocate Harry; that you make a promise that, if we get a new manager who fails to bring success (or "get more from this squad" if you prefer); you will quit smoking John Henry's fat one but I won't.  :laugh:

Just to be clear - I won't be greedy - I'll take CL qualification as being a "success" in both instances.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #50: May 28, 2015 10:59:36 am
      It's understandable that fans have lost faith in our transfer dealings, I have too. That said, just because they've by and large been sh!t in the past, it doesn't necessarily follow that every single player we sign will be a sh!t signing.

Benteke is a case in point. It's fairly clear to me that if he can CONSISTENTLY produce his better form at Villa (which lets be honest we've been on the receiving end of a few times) then he can be a top striker who walks into our team. At that level if produced, he would be a good signing. Whether or not we can get anybody better for similar money is another argument, (although when you chuck in wages it may be harder than some think) but for now I'm happy enough that he is a good player who would improve our team.

He's also a baby who will like as not get better, and has been playing in a team which certainly under the previous manager created just about as few chances as I've ever seen a team create in our Premier League. I'm not all for the signing, but I can definitely see the motivation behind it. Put it this way, had we had him fit all season just gone we would have finished above Man U in my opinion.

Don't tar all new signings with the same brush, WHOEVER we get in give them a chance. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and that maxim applies to our transfer process too. Sooner or later we'll get another one right, it's as likely to be Benteke as it is anyone else.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #51: May 28, 2015 02:55:04 pm
      If a manager has to change the ethos/philosophy and playing style, to accommodate a signing, then clearly the ethos/philosophy actually means next best thing to f**k all. Because if it genuinely did - you'd be going after the person who's actions demanded a move away from the ethos, you say you believe in, rather than a manager who won't desert the ethos so readily.

I don't believe Brendan's ethos is right to take this club forward. Conceding 5 first half goals to Stoke City is unacceptable. If defending is so easy to coach, then what does that say about Brendan ???

The truth obviously being that whoever is responsible for signing players should only be signing the players we need; i.e. players who fit that ethos.

I've never said the transfer committee isn't without fault in this. There were certainly some poor decisions made by both the TC and the manager this last summer.

Yeah you're probably right Harry - just as I know there are owners out there who would also be better for this club.

Tell you what Harry - I'm a fair man - I'll make you a promise right here and now; a promise you can bookmark and bank.

If Brendan Rodgers is still our manager, come September, I will hold him personally accountable for any and all transfers this Summer [* I'll explain why further down]. Furthermore...

If come the end of the season, all things being equal [injuries bad luck] he has failed to get the best from those new players; I will stand up and I will demand his sacking.

* The reason? Although Brendan hinted at discontent with transfer policy before; it's only when Gerrard announced his retirement that he actually said openly and clearly that he needed "ready-made", proven, quality if the club is to progress to the "next level" and that the owners were aware of this.

Now, if after declaring this and if he stays, it will indicate to me one of two things. Either he's got his wish and signed the players he feels we need or that he's got no balls, no integrity and is wholly compliant with what FSG are doing. He will therefore have to live or die based on those transfers.

I could ask that you reciprocate Harry; that you make a promise that, if we get a new manager who fails to bring success (or "get more from this squad" if you prefer); you will quit smoking John Henry's fat one but I won't.  :laugh:

Just to be clear - I won't be greedy - I'll take CL qualification as being a "success" in both instances.

This is where we really disagree. I don't blame the owners for any of our shortcomings. They did their job by making the funds available to the TC and manager. It was the TC and manager who let the club down.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the owners providing a general list of guidelines that our TC and manager are required to work within. These guidelines haven't stopped us from signing experience (Toure, Lambert, Lallana), quality (Sakho, Coutinho, Studge, Suarez), or players that the manager clearly wanted (Allen, Borini, Lovren, Lallana). It also allows us to take calculated gambles on players who have quality, but also carry a bit more risk than other transfer targets (Suarez and Balotelli in particular). Sure, there have been some flops (Aspas, Assaidi, and Alberto to name a few) but every team has failed signings. We have also missed out on some players (Sanchez, Willian, Costa, etc) but I don't blame the owners for not wanting to pay excessive wages like City have been doing to sign players.

In my opinion, what we really need is for the owners to make a few adjustments to ensure that the TC and manager are singing off the same sheet of music. Whether that be BR, Ayre, both, or someone else who needs to be replaced or changed is up to them. In my opinion, we can easily do better than BR as manager. We can also do much better than Ayre as chief of the TC. And we could most likely employ better scouts. Hopefully one or more of these changes will be made this summer.

And, to stay on topic.... I'm fine with Benteke as long as we have a manager in place who knows how to play to his strengths :)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #52: May 28, 2015 04:06:14 pm
      I don't believe Brendan's ethos is right to take this club forward. Conceding 5 first half goals to Stoke City is unacceptable. If defending is so easy to coach, then what does that say about Brendan ???

I've never said the transfer committee isn't without fault in this. There were certainly some poor decisions made by both the TC and the manager this last summer.

This is where we really disagree. I don't blame the owners for any of our shortcomings. They did their job by making the funds available to the TC and manager. It was the TC and manager who let the club down.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the owners providing a general list of guidelines that our TC and manager are required to work within. These guidelines haven't stopped us from signing experience (Toure, Lambert, Lallana), quality (Sakho, Coutinho, Studge, Suarez), or players that the manager clearly wanted (Allen, Borini, Lovren, Lallana). It also allows us to take calculated gambles on players who have quality, but also carry a bit more risk than other transfer targets (Suarez and Balotelli in particular). Sure, there have been some flops (Aspas, Assaidi, and Alberto to name a few) but every team has failed signings. We have also missed out on some players (Sanchez, Willian, Costa, etc) but I don't blame the owners for not wanting to pay excessive wages like City have been doing to sign players.

In my opinion, what we really need is for the owners to make a few adjustments to ensure that the TC and manager are singing off the same sheet of music. Whether that be BR, Ayre, both, or someone else who needs to be replaced or changed is up to them. In my opinion, we can easily do better than BR as manager. We can also do much better than Ayre as chief of the TC. And we could most likely employ better scouts. Hopefully one or more of these changes will be made this summer.

And, to stay on topic.... I'm fine with Benteke as long as we have a manager in place who knows how to play to his strengths :)

Wow. Just, wow.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #53: May 28, 2015 04:43:18 pm

That is a strange statement Harry has made.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #54: May 28, 2015 05:13:23 pm
      I think Harry means funds were made available and they were misspent, he has a point because of course over £100M was spent but as a lot of people suspect that's not the full story with the FSG model.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #55: May 28, 2015 05:25:18 pm

overall i agree, i think the owners have done enough to have at this time in their ownership a better team and squad that we have, yes their does seem to be some limitations, but the signings that we have generally made have been nothing other than shocking, and not unexpected fails either - it wouldn't take a genius to predict alot of the failed signings before they signed for us

now....this leads on to this windows 'better than borini' signing.

The guy is far from good enough for us, yes he may have stats that are better than some of our failed signings, but that doesn't mean he is good enough does it?

he has been in the Prem for 3 seasons and has never scored 20 goals in the prem
      he has not come close to his tally of 19 goals from his first season
      He scores a lot of his goals from crosses - we don't play that type of football - so he does not suit the type of football we try and play
      He loves an injury
      poor international record

i can go on....

now - how can he be considered as someone worth looking at? if he was on a free -maybe, but i cant even see signs of him improving.
      I didn't hear his name for the majority of the season
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #56: May 28, 2015 06:04:11 pm
      I think there are better managers out there that would be better for this club now and moving forward.

Like who? Let's examine the names that have been floated shall we?

Klopp - Managed the second richest club in Germany which is undoubtedly a less competitive league than ours. Akin to him being the manager of Chelsea in this country. Yet despite that, finished a place lower in their league than we did in ours.

Simeone - Managed the third richest club in Spain which, like the Bundesliga, is a league almost impossible to win if you're not Real or Barcelona. Since they're the third richest club they usually finish third in their league.

Ancelotti - Hasn't managed a team with a limited budget since 1998. That's not to suggest he's not a good manager but he's used to working in environments where the players he (or his DoF) want are signed rather than one where eighteen months of negotiation are trumped by forty eight hours worth. As a result, has very little experience in dealing with youth sides but would be the perfect manager for us if we where to be bought by some rich Arab playboy and turn in to a team full of galaticos.

Rafa - Legend among many but was highly criticised during this tenure with us as being a cup manager rather than the league. Hasn't won a league anywhere in the world in over a decade. I like him, both as a manager and a man but where is his track record of success since winning number five? It's Cup tournaments, in Italy and in England. Want to win trophies? He's our man. Want to win the league? Need to look elsewhere.

Frank de Boer - Let's look at his CV as a manager. One Dutch Super Cup and four league titles. In the Netherlands, hardly the world's most competitive league. Came runners up with his country in the World Cup but Rodgers came runners up with his club a year ago and as the saying goes, if you're second, you're nowhere. He has no experience outside of his home country and is every bit the novice that Brendan Rodgers is criticised for being.

It's all very well saying there are better managers but better managers for our team they do not necessarily make, especially given the fact that we're the fifth richest team in our country in what is widely regarded as the most competitive league in Europe. Many a foreign manager has made the mistake of strolling in to a match against some 'lowly' opposition thinking it a cake walk and ending up with a very rude awakening. Brendan Rodgers may not be the best manager in the world right now but he's the least of our worries at arguably the Premier League's most dysfunctional club. We have far bigger problems that need sorting before even considering a change of manager.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #57: May 28, 2015 06:15:16 pm
      "Premier leagues most dysfunctional club"?

I've read some hype on here, but that just about takes the F***ing biscuit.
      In fact if I wasn't laughing so hard, I'd despair at some of this sh*te.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #58: May 28, 2015 06:17:33 pm
      Simeone - Managed the third richest club in Spain which, like the Bundesliga, is a league almost impossible to win if you're not Real or Barcelona. Since they're the third richest club they usually finish third in their league.

You mean the league he managed to win in the 13/14 season?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #59: May 28, 2015 06:20:56 pm

Klopp - Managed the second richest club in Germany which is undoubtedly a less competitive league than ours. Akin to him being the manager of Chelsea in this country. Yet despite that, finished a place lower in their league than we did in ours.

Ancelotti - Hasn't managed a team with a limited budget since 1998. That's not to suggest he's not a good manager but he's used to working in environments where the players he (or his DoF) want are signed rather than one where eighteen months of negotiation are trumped by forty eight hours worth. As a result, has very little experience in dealing with youth sides but would be the perfect manager for us if we where to be bought by some rich Arab playboy and turn in to a team full of galaticos.

Rafa - Legend among many but was highly criticised during this tenure with us as being a cup manager rather than the league. Hasn't won a league anywhere in the world in over a decade. I like him, both as a manager and a man but where is his track record of success since winning number five? It's Cup tournaments, in Italy and in England. Want to win trophies? He's our man. Want to win the league? Need to look elsewhere.

Frank de Boer - Let's look at his CV as a manager. One Dutch Super Cup and four league titles. In the Netherlands, hardly the world's most competitive league. Came runners up with his country in the World Cup but Rodgers came runners up with his club a year ago and as the saying goes, if you're second, you're nowhere. He has no experience outside of his home country and is every bit the novice that Brendan Rodgers is criticised for being.

It's all very well saying there are better managers but better managers for our team they do not necessarily make, especially given the fact that we're the fifth richest team in our country in what is widely regarded as the most competitive league in Europe. Many a foreign manager has made the mistake of strolling in to a match against some 'lowly' opposition thinking it a cake walk and ending up with a very rude awakening. Brendan Rodgers may not be the best manager in the world right now but he's the least of our worries at arguably the Premier League's most dysfunctional club. We have far bigger problems that need sorting before even considering a change of manager.

So blame FSG for everything stick with Rodgers and let the decline continue?

No point even chancing bringing in a manager with league and cup trophies on their resume?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #60: May 28, 2015 06:26:39 pm

Cristian Benteke Transfer thread
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #61: May 28, 2015 06:30:03 pm

Shalke are almost the same value and trying to compare Dortmund to Chelsea you're taking the piss lad. Even still he managed to win the league twice, beating a team worth 3 times their value and get to the CL final. It's so funny how people try to run down Klopp's achievements and then big up Brendan's single achievement and then suggest other people have agendas.

He also won the league, against the 2 richest clubs in the world, monumental achievement and should heralded as such.

A winner, pure and simple, he's got trophies falling out of his arse. One minute you're trying talk down the achievements of people taking on the big boys and then you're talking down the achievements of the big boys, do you not see how you're trying to rig the scales in your favour without actually being fair.

Yeah it's dreadful, he only wins cups... how many cups has Brendan won?

Don't know too much but still he's just starting out and he's winning things, a record for them I believe, I'm not going to knock that personally.

Brendan might end up being the best manager in the world (my money wouldn't be on that) but trying to over sell him while under selling some of the most successful managers in the world really does look very desperate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #62: May 28, 2015 06:31:10 pm

Cristian Benteke Transfer thread

Apologies.

Think he's a decent player but there's better out there and he wont suit our system at all. If we played to his strengths and he stayed fit all season he could get 20 a year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #63: May 28, 2015 06:33:55 pm

Unai Emery.

Edit:  Apologies RP. Got myself dragged in there and after complaining about it in the Aspas thread. ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #64: May 28, 2015 06:36:55 pm
      Apologies.

Think he's a decent player but there's better out there and he wont suit our system at all. If we played to his strengths and he stayed fit all season he could get 20 a year.

I think Benteke is more of a Rafa player than a Rodgers player.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #65: May 28, 2015 06:39:51 pm
      "Premier leagues most dysfunctional club"?

I've read some hype on here, but that just about takes the f**king biscuit.
      In fact if I wasn't laughing so hard, I'd despair at some of this sh*te.

You don't think we're dysfunctional? You think it's perfectly normal to repeatedly miss out on transfer targets? To repeatedly fail to hold on to our most talented players? To constantly over spend on players clearly not good enough to play for us? For a committee that is split down the middle between Football people and money men? To repeatedly leak transfer targets to the media before they've signed on the dotted line? If you don't think our club is dysfunctional then you're a complete and utter moron.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: May 28, 2015 06:56:37 pm

Dortmund should have done better in the league but that's got nothing to do with you thinking they're the Chelsea of the Bundesliga. What about when Dortmund got to the Champions League final; when they, against the odds, won back to back league titles; when they beat Bayern this season in the domestic cup semi final etc.? He's done a hell of a lot more for Dortmund in their league than Brendan has for us. Brendan's only achievement is coming second after being odds on to win the league with 3 games left. His tactics are poor, all we needed from the Chelsea game was a draw and Chelsea were handing that to us on a silver platter but Brendan got greedy.

If you don't fight tooth and nail for as long as you're on the pitch then you don't get into Simeone's teams. That's one of the things I admire about him, he makes the players want to fight for themselves, the team, the fans and the manager. Its what Shankly brought to his Liverpool teams, Ferguson to his teams and Mourinho to his teams. I don't see that in Brendan if I'm being honest. He's slowly but surely taking the fighters out of the team and offloading them elsewhere.

You actually played down the ability of Ancelotti as a manager? Please tell me you're joking? You again make this notion that we are a club that barely spends anything on players. We spend loads, it just happens to get spent on average players.

You seem to have this obsession with what the finances are like at other clubs.

I disagree that Brendan is the least of our worries, whilst there are a few bigger problems at the club I wouldn't say he was at the bottom of that list. He's actually very much near the top. He doesn't seem to know how he wants the team to play, one season its slow passing football then next its quick penetrating football and then he reverts back to this weird idea of playing Sterling as a sole striker when he misses more easy chances than he finishes.

On the topic of Benteke, Sherwood won't let him leave easily and I think he will cost closer to 30m than 20m and he's not worth such an amount. I don't think he would suit us but if we were to change our style of play to suit him, Balotelli and Lambert then maybe something good can come of our interest in him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #67: May 28, 2015 07:00:25 pm
      You don't think we're dysfunctional? You think it's perfectly normal to repeatedly miss out on transfer targets? To repeatedly fail to hold on to our most talented players? To constantly over spend on players clearly not good enough to play for us? For a committee that is split down the middle between Football people and money men? To repeatedly leak transfer targets to the media before they've signed on the dotted line? If you don't think our club is dysfunctional then you're a complete and utter moron.

I'm not a complete and utter moron, but nor am I a drama queen.
      Dysfunctional my F***ing arse.

You'd think we were the only club ever to miss out on a target.

Now, show your proof about overspend, leaks and how many players we've missed out on.
      Official sources only and no made up journo sh*te.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #68: May 28, 2015 07:05:56 pm
      I think Benteke is more of a Rafa player than a Rodgers player.

Quick Reply