Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges

Read 36310 times
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Re: FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges
      Reply #23: May 28, 2015 02:09:17 am
      I find it amazing how FIFA got to the stage where they had so much power, so much influence, that they couldn't be touched by everyone involved in the game, and yet, it took a country, where football is nowhere as popular as bloody rounders to step in and be able to do something about it!

Whatever way you look at it, the yanks can look at Europe and all as a bunch of incompetent idiots, and who can argue against it? We allowed FIFA to get out of control, and it took the padded rugby players to bring order!

Well done you yanks!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #24: May 28, 2015 02:56:59 am
      Can't understand how a Blatter shouldn't be pressured to step down as this happened on his watch.

Also curious as to why they can't take away the World Cup from Russia and Qatar as people integral to the vote system have been implicated.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #25: May 28, 2015 03:43:34 am
      Can't understand how a Blatter shouldn't be pressured to step down as this happened on his watch.

Also curious as to why they can't take away the World Cup from Russia and Qatar as people integral to the vote system have been implicated.

Exactly.

So they are going back 24 years and they have not arrested the very man in charge of the organisation for most if not all that time.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: May 28, 2015 04:56:56 am
      From reading up on it, FIFA's regulations are so tight that they can pretty much get away with the Qatar and Russia announcements scott free.

I don't think this will do anything by the way. Not yet at least. Not until Blatter is overthrown/dead and that won't be anytime soon. This election is set up for him to win and find other ways to be a deceitful little shitbag.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #27: May 28, 2015 06:22:03 am
      The man is 80 years old, why doesn't he retire on an island, just to live his life ? F***ing dictator.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #28: May 28, 2015 08:20:26 am
      Blatter is an odious little man who thinks he's covered his tracks so well, and greased so many palms, that he's untouchable! The arrogance of the man is unbelievable, and it's time the European Football Associations broke away and offered other Associations the chance to join them.
      Hopefully the election won't go ahead because he'll have been arrested!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: May 28, 2015 09:05:47 am
      Fifa may have so many people baying for their blood and their money through the Courts they may have to end it and start again with new people.
      If as we all think the next two World Cups have been awarded via a process of bribes and corruption then i expect those Countries like ours like Australia and the USA to demand back the money they spent on this corrupt process.
      Money has ruined football end of story
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #30: May 28, 2015 09:11:15 am
      No fan of Blatter or FIFA but I'm smiling to myself how to corrupt are investigating the corrupt.

Back to the Russian & Qatari bids, I don't think they will loose them & I also think Blatter will see out this scandal & indirectly F**k those countries who pushed to get him and his organisation.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #31: May 28, 2015 09:25:21 am
      Fair play to Team America, much akin to the tories, the perceived baddies need to be seen to do the dirty work.

>:D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #32: May 28, 2015 11:20:37 am
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #33: May 28, 2015 11:41:22 am

jeez what a f***in terrible stat. I knew it was bad but not that bad. Problem I see at present is the Politicians are now getting their dirty hands on football when it really does need to come back to the fans. I know it will never happen but I can see the Russian WC becoming a political football.
      Bier
      Reply #34: May 28, 2015 11:47:57 am
      The only ones that can really force change are the sponsors. A few of them already left earlier but no more have as of yet, although they have spoken out against what has happened. But money is the only thing these greedy fuckers pay attention to, so if sponsors stop paying they'll listen. The problem is sponsors are making too much money through FIFA themselfs to leave them. Take Adidas for example, I read they sell 20 million balls every world cup, they're not going to give that up.

Some media companies in my country have anounced a boycot, basically won't sell ad space anymore to any FIFA sponsors. I doubt any of them care enough about a small country as mine, but the initiative isn't a bad idea and could succeed if some bigger companies and countries would follow. Doubt it will happen, greed will probably prevail.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #35: May 28, 2015 12:04:43 pm
      This appears the only way to remove the impeachable Blatter.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #36: May 28, 2015 12:06:41 pm
      Fair play to Team America, much akin to the tories, the perceived baddies need to be seen to do the dirty work.

>:D

Right on the money there mate.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #37: May 28, 2015 01:15:55 pm
      Regardless of Blatter winning reelection or not, his days are numbered. Blatter isnt just being investigated hes being investigated for RICO charges. The same law that destroyed the US Mafia. RICO means that the US can freeze and sieze FIFA's assets. That means NO money from sponsors, no money from matches or licensing. It will end FIFA's ability to make money. So no matter how many friends Blatter has voting for him, if FIFA cant make money because hes President then he will be forced to resign.

I think this also gives credence for the other federations to leave FIFA. Which is what could happen. If UEFA leave FIFA then FIFA loses its most popular fanbase. Making the WC pointless without the best players. 

Like I said before if you really want to know how fu**ed FIFA is, read about RICO laws and how it works. FIFA can not hide from this.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #38: May 28, 2015 01:17:04 pm
      Fifa crisis: Blatter refuses to quit as president after Platini request
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32914907

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has chaired an emergency meeting
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32917364

It would not shock me in the slightest if Blatter cancelled the election indefinably so he can sort the trouble makers out, then hold an election, making sure all opposition is nullified.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #39: May 28, 2015 01:22:43 pm
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #40: May 28, 2015 01:47:39 pm
      Blatter is an odious little man who thinks he's covered his tracks so well, and greased so many palms, that he's untouchable! The arrogance of the man is unbelievable, and it's time the European Football Associations broke away and offered other Associations the chance to join them.
      Hopefully the election won't go ahead because he'll have been arrested!

Well to be fair, he is untouchable
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #41: May 28, 2015 01:58:05 pm
      Well to be fair, he is untouchable

Bullshit! No one is untouchable. If you have a big enough stick, everyone can be got. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #42: May 28, 2015 02:28:56 pm
      Blatter needs to go, but we've been saying that for a decade already.

sh*t, let's get Platini too, the little c**t.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #43: May 28, 2015 04:44:41 pm
      Read this on a blog, can't remember where, but here is the gist.

Blatter won't resign as while he is top dog, no one can touch him, as soon as he is not top dog, the oxygen cylinders will appear as he will be too ill to go to trial.

He needs to know, ignorance is not a defence. 
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #44: May 28, 2015 07:31:43 pm
      Listened to Blatter today, who basically said a few rotten eggs was nothing to do with him and he couldn't keep tracks on everyone! Well,2 of them are his Vice Presidents, he is the President, the head of FIFA, and paid a very generous salary, he has to take the ultimate responsibility.
      The African delegations are still supporting him, but then he's bought them, why would they bite the hand that feeds them!
      Football needs that man gone!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #45: May 28, 2015 08:10:07 pm
      Let's not forget....

John Oliver on FIFA

Quick Reply