Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 201203 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #69: Jun 04, 2015 04:12:22 pm

:D

Well, at least we're talking about a player I've wanted for a long time.

Welcome to LFC, James.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #70: Jun 04, 2015 04:54:12 pm
      I did. And I agree BR is involved in every descision. Im not one of the folk who have been slagging the Committe, apart from maybe the Balo deal, but I actual think that was just a panic buy after all otehrs failed.
      Agree.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #71: Jun 04, 2015 07:12:50 pm
      exciting times ahead....

not sure what'll go down worst in history... poulsen aquilani and cole or hendo allen and milner
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #72: Jun 04, 2015 08:35:58 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #73: Jun 04, 2015 08:42:36 pm
      Not glamorous by any means but an asset to any side. I recall he was given a bit of stick at Euro 2012 because he was consistently put into the starting line up but you could see why. His tireless effort down the right side gave that England team a lot of stability. Frustrating team to watch (like all of Roy's teams) but they were frustrating to play against in that tournament. Does a lot of dirty work and does it better than most. Would easily slot into midfield and a right wing back position. Also a great team player and the likes of Coutinho will love the selfless service he provides. A thoroughly committed, fit, hard working and honest player. A model professional who is as good a free signing you could get these days.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #74: Jun 04, 2015 08:43:06 pm

Free kicks and penalties solved then...carry on.
      « Last Edit: Jun 04, 2015 10:10:39 pm by AZPatriot »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #75: Jun 04, 2015 08:50:33 pm
      exciting times ahead....

not sure what'll go down worst in history... poulsen aquilani and cole or hendo allen and milner

Wow. Just read through your post history....and it's like a F***ing vacuum of any decent or coherent insight.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #76: Jun 04, 2015 08:52:07 pm
      Wow. Just read through your post history....and it's like a f**king vacuum of any decent or coherent insight.

He's just laying bait in every post, fortunately most aren't biting and giving him the time of day

He'll get bored soon
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #77: Jun 04, 2015 09:12:28 pm
      Welcome!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #78: Jun 04, 2015 09:12:49 pm
      Not glamorous by any means but an asset to any side. I recall he was given a bit of stick at Euro 2012 because he was consistently put into the starting line up but you could see why. His tireless effort down the right side gave that England team a lot of stability. Frustrating team to watch (like all of Roy's teams) but they were frustrating to play against in that tournament. Does a lot of dirty work and does it better than most. Would easily slot into midfield and a right wing back position. Also a great team player and the likes of Coutinho will love the selfless service he provides. A thoroughly committed, fit, hard working and honest player. A model professional who is as good a free signing you could get these days.

Love the optomistic outlook and the positive points in this post. Bravo to you sir.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #79: Jun 04, 2015 09:14:41 pm
      Can't say I am overjoyed with the signing. Hopefully he proves me wrong though and continues his good form he was showing at the back end of the season when he was playing really well and scoring/assisting goals. But, plays like he does for England and it will be a poor signing.

Come on James lad, prove to be a great piece of business.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #80: Jun 04, 2015 09:17:39 pm
      PING!!

Dink...

BOOM!!

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #81: Jun 04, 2015 09:24:55 pm
      I see people are being negative already

I think it's called expressing their opinion having watched football for a good many number of years.  Are people now not allowed to express their opinion on a players career to date? 

I've always had him down as a bang average Premier League footballer but obviously the people at the club think he's worth all that money so I can only hope he does a brilliant job for us.

Good luck lad.

For what it's worth I still think Can is better than Henderson, Allen and Milner.  As a midfielder.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #82: Jun 04, 2015 09:49:06 pm
      He could be a better signing than most think. Like, less of a risk than say for example Markovic, who hasn't done it so far. Plenty of experience, little bit more mature at 28, strong and pretty direct, won things already - and has come here probably on less wages to play more regularly, and it seems in a more central position.

I like the fact that he could've signed a new contract at City, but decided to take on a new challenge - at least it sounds like there is real hunger still there.

Only thing, does he replace Stevie's goals from that position ? - not sure, SG was a brilliant finisher. Is he a leader ? - again, not sure.

Still, overall, could do a lot worse.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #83: Jun 04, 2015 09:50:59 pm
      We've lost a lot of experience in Gerrard, Suarez and Carragher in the last couple of years and whilst Milner isn't in that class he does bring a lot of experience that we desperately need. To me he's a lot better than most give him credit for - think he'll thrive on the right side of a midfield diamond but I must admit I'm worried if he plays centrally in any other formation.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #84: Jun 04, 2015 10:11:22 pm
      The only problem I see with this transfer is that it reinforces 'moneybollocks' and FSG think every player should sign a new deal with LFC for less money than what they were on, or offered elsewhere.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #85: Jun 04, 2015 10:18:20 pm
      Well at least we didn't spunk 20 mil on an unproven potential kid , he deserves every chance to prove his worth . lets hope he doesn't think it's a rest home and sit on his arse . I would like to think that fsg transfer policy has changed because of his age but i don't think it has . A free transfer was their motivation .
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #86: Jun 04, 2015 10:24:49 pm
      For what it's worth I still think Can is better than Henderson, Allen and Milner.  As a midfielder.
      He most certainly is , a beast when played in position .

Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #87: Jun 04, 2015 10:28:52 pm
      Potential midfield diamond for next season:

Can.

Milner.    Henderson.

Coutinho.

Solid ball winner and playmaker at the back in Can.
      Two workhorses in front of him, who in my opinion can both spot and play killer balls from deep.
      And the creative, flair player in front of them.
      Looks pretty good if you ask me!

Of course this formation is fairly reliant on decent full backs providing the width. That'll need addressing then!

I like this as well. I highly doubt we will ever get overworked in that midfield. All of them work hard and can play good defense (no pun intended).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #88: Jun 05, 2015 12:48:38 am
      Well at least we didn't spunk 20 mil on an unproven potential kid , he deserves every chance to prove his worth

£31M in wages plus a signing on fee though.

Swings and roundabouts. 

My fear is that Milner will look better on the balance sheet than the pitch.  Hope I'm wrong because we need a midfielder capable of owning some bollocks.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #89: Jun 05, 2015 01:35:24 am
      £31M in wages plus a signing on fee though.

Swings and roundabouts. 

My fear is that Milner will look better on the balance sheet than the pitch.  Hope I'm wrong because we need a midfielder capable of owning some bollocks.

Good point JD.

That is a significant figure on the balance sheet to allocate for a 30 year old.

For all those that are quick to point the finger at the TC and FSG to absolve Brendan of any responsibillity and blame this must be a slap in the face then. We are looking at James collecting just short of 8m a year in wages well into his 30's. The sheer fact that this came out to light a day after Brendan's immediate future was decided confirms for me that this was a signing he pursued and wanted all along.

Allready getting tired of posters branding other posters of being "negative" and waiting for Brendad to F**k up and say I told you so because they do not get particularly excited about a signing that has been made.

Milner is not my type of player given we have a workhorse in the team allready in Henderson would have preferred a more technical player bossing the middle of the  park. Milner will bring experience and hopefully some leadership qualities in to the team.

Welcome and good luck James.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #90: Jun 05, 2015 03:30:20 am
      Good luck, James.

Hopefully on of a few top quality signings.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #91: Jun 05, 2015 08:32:18 am

this.

Quick Reply