Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 199452 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #23: Jun 04, 2015 10:52:39 am
      Can't understand why anybody would be disappointed or critical with this signing.

A very good player indeed, very under rated.

Welcome to the best club in the world James.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #24: Jun 04, 2015 10:56:38 am
      Very good player and I think will add valuable experience to this squad of players.

On his own it does look underwhelming but as WAHS said above if this is one signing among three or four smart transfers then I think it could well be a great bit of business.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #25: Jun 04, 2015 11:04:44 am
      Got to hope it's just the start of some serious transfer business this summer, more proven players than potential.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #26: Jun 04, 2015 11:21:10 am
      I like this player. Welcome James Milner. Work hard and do you best and we will love you.

YNWA

Brilliant free transfer :)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #27: Jun 04, 2015 11:23:29 am
      I think most will be pretty happy with the signing, good player with a bit quality, experienced, top attitude and very hard working. What's not to like? If he is our biggest signing of the whole summer I would be worried but hopefully he is one of 3-4 top players we are looking to bring in this summer.

although it does seem a bit strange that he is possibly earning 2 and half times more than young Coutinho. Maybe they need to have a word with the little magician's agent and give the lad a contract more in keeping with his quality and the sort of money other clubs will happily offer when they come sniffing.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #28: Jun 04, 2015 11:24:47 am
      At least we didn't buy another young player who might get better in future.

We know what we are going to get from Milner and I welcome him. I hope we get few more experienced signings - although not from Southampton or Aston Fuuuuuking Villa.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #29: Jun 04, 2015 11:25:21 am
      I think most will be pretty happy with the signing, good player with a bit quality, experienced, top attitude and very hard working. What's not to like? If he is our biggest signing of the whole summer I would be worried but hopefully he is one of 3-4 top players we are looking to bring in this summer.

although it does seem a bit strange that he is possibly earning 2 and half times more than young Coutinho. Maybe they need to have a word with the little magician's agent and give the lad a contract more in keeping with his quality and the sort of money other clubs will happily offer when they come sniffing.

Oye. Keep your mouth shut. He may just do that and fuuuk off to Spain.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #30: Jun 04, 2015 11:27:32 am
      Getting so sick of people bitching and moaning.

Great to get one out of the way so quickly. A free transfer of an experienced, proven winner that's certainly an upgrade on what we've got (Allen and possibly even Hendo). It's not his fault that our transfer business has been crap in the past, judge him on his play, not on who else we bring in.

Welcome to the club James!
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #31: Jun 04, 2015 11:30:15 am
      I like the signing as part of a good Summer of signings.

I don't like it if it is deemed as the answer alongside Ings and Clyne only.

This all day.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: Jun 04, 2015 11:31:31 am
      Experienced player.
      Home Grown.
      Free Transfer.

Loads of boxes ticked there.

Now spend all the money on a F***ing striker.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #33: Jun 04, 2015 11:31:53 am
      James Milner: The Man City view on Liverpool’s new signing

Jun 4, 2015

With James Milner swapping Manchester City for Liverpool this summer, we spoke to City writer Rob Pollard to get his view on the midfielder.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - Saturday, December 14, 2013: Manchester City's James Milner in action against Arsenal during the Premiership match at the City of Manchester Stadium. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

James Milner has been announced as the first signing of the summer for Liverpool, with the Manchester City midfielder joining on a free transfer at the beginning of July.

Milner represents a solid acquisition for the Reds, who can provide vital match-winning experience.

City were keen to hold on to the 29-year-old, but how do their supporters feel?

We spoke to City writer Rob Pollard to find out his views on Milner, and how he sees the midfielder faring after moving to Merseyside this summer.

Any initial thoughts on Milner’s departure from a City fan’s perspective?

Well, I don’t want to speak on behalf of all City fans, but the ones I know are absolutely gutted.

There are very few players in recent seasons who have been so revered by the supporters here.

He’s such a wonderful professional, freakishly fit, versatile and exceptionally good at almost every aspect of the game.

Do you think Liverpool is the right move for Milner, or would his other suitors, Arsenal, have represented a better environment for him?

In terms of playing time, which appears to be the motivating factor, I would say Liverpool is perhaps the best move.

I also think a desire to play in central midfield is a key reason for him moving on, and, again, I think Liverpool are the best bet in terms of offering him a regular starting spot in that position than any of the other top clubs in the Premier League.

Milner, I think, has his eye on playing there for England now that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard aren’t in the equation, and he knows full well that when everyone at City is fit, he’s not in the starting XI.

What qualities can he bring to Liverpool, and what is perhaps his most underrated quality?

His versatility is staggering. This season, he’s played right-back, left-back, central midfield, on both wings and as a withdrawn striker. He’s been good in all of them.

I also think he’s far better technically than people give him credit for.

He’s not a Samir Nasri or a David Silva, but he’s not just a workhorse, which is the perception some people seem to have.

Given he’s reported to be interested in a central midfield role at Liverpool, do you think this is his best position?

I don’t think it is his best position, no.

I think right wing is his best role, but he would argue he hasn’t been given a consistent run of games there. He could excel.

Milner’s even been mooted by Jamie Carragher as a potential replacement for Steven Gerrard as the next Liverpool captain. Would he suit this role?

Yeah, I don’t see why not. He’s an absolutely brilliant professional.

Manuel Pellegrini did an interview with Sid Lowe in March and he basically went on a long rant about how amazing he thinks Milner is.

One of the things he said was that, even when he’s been dropped, he’s the most vocal and passionate on the bench.

I love him and think he’ll do really well.
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/06/james-milner-manchester-city-view-liverpools-new-signing/
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #34: Jun 04, 2015 11:34:57 am
      Welcome to the club Jimmy Milner! Looking forward to seeing where he slots into the team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Jun 04, 2015 11:35:21 am

Jun 4, 2015

With James Milner swapping Manchester City for Liverpool this summer, we spoke to City writer Rob Pollard to get his view on the midfielder.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - Saturday, December 14, 2013: Manchester City's James Milner in action against Arsenal during the Premiership match at the City of Manchester Stadium. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

James Milner has been announced as the first signing of the summer for Liverpool, with the Manchester City midfielder joining on a free transfer at the beginning of July.

Milner represents a solid acquisition for the Reds, who can provide vital match-winning experience.

We spoke to City writer Rob Pollard to find out his views on Milner, and how he sees the midfielder faring after moving to Merseyside this summer.

Well, I don’t want to speak on behalf of all City fans, but the ones I know are absolutely gutted.

There are very few players in recent seasons who have been so revered by the supporters here.

He’s such a wonderful professional, freakishly fit, versatile and exceptionally good at almost every aspect of the game.

Do you think Liverpool is the right move for Milner, or would his other suitors, Arsenal, have represented a better environment for him?

In terms of playing time, which appears to be the motivating factor, I would say Liverpool is perhaps the best move.

I also think a desire to play in central midfield is a key reason for him moving on, and, again, I think Liverpool are the best bet in terms of offering him a regular starting spot in that position than any of the other top clubs in the Premier League.

Milner, I think, has his eye on playing there for England now that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard aren’t in the equation, and he knows full well that when everyone at City is fit, he’s not in the starting XI.

What qualities can he bring to Liverpool, and what is perhaps his most underrated quality?

His versatility is staggering. This season, he’s played right-back, left-back, central midfield, on both wings and as a withdrawn striker. He’s been good in all of them.

He’s not a Samir Nasri or a David Silva, but he’s not just a workhorse, which is the perception some people seem to have.

Given he’s reported to be interested in a central midfield role at Liverpool, do you think this is his best position?

I think right wing is his best role, but he would argue he hasn’t been given a consistent run of games there. He could excel.

Milner’s even been mooted by Jamie Carragher as a potential replacement for Steven Gerrard as the next Liverpool captain. Would he suit this role?

Manuel Pellegrini did an interview with Sid Lowe in March and he basically went on a long rant about how amazing he thinks Milner is.

One of the things he said was that, even when he’s been dropped, he’s the most vocal and passionate on the bench.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/06/james-milner-manchester-city-view-liverpools-new-signing/

Hendo's dad, basically.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #36: Jun 04, 2015 11:35:25 am
      Most on here have been crying out for us to sign some experience and stop just signing youngsters so this one is a no brainer.

Add that he's a very good footballer and a winner as well just tops it off.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #37: Jun 04, 2015 11:35:55 am

Jun 4, 2015

Good stuff.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #38: Jun 04, 2015 11:49:42 am
      cant say im overwhelmed

but welcome neverless  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: Jun 04, 2015 11:53:17 am

Bit young, ;D

go for Big Bro. ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Jun 04, 2015 11:59:27 am

Pretty much where I am with this.

I've personally no problem with him coming in as a starter as I think he will be an enormous upgrade on Henderson and Allen.

If he is the stand-out signing though then I'm very worried. A good first signing but onwards and upwards from here please.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #41: Jun 04, 2015 12:01:56 pm
      confirm?

welcome, ynwa
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #42: Jun 04, 2015 12:08:48 pm
      Just a thought.

He's taken a pay cut, and will undoubtedly not win as much, he will not be in the CL, (Sterling take note).

For this why has he come to us? May be he just want's to play football, and he wishes to play for us... the fans.

I guess we can not say that about too many players these days.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #43: Jun 04, 2015 12:12:16 pm
      A huge upgrade on Joe 'xavi' Allen.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #44: Jun 04, 2015 12:12:33 pm
      Milner wearing #7 (Don't go on a Suarez comparison tangent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz_BT3Imy8M&feature=youtu.be
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #45: Jun 04, 2015 12:12:57 pm
      Just a thought.

He's taken a pay cut, and will undoubtedly not win as much, he will not be in the CL, (Sterling take note).

For this why has he come to us? May be he just want's to play football, and he wishes to play for us... the fans.

I guess we can not say that about too many players these days.

Agree.

He seems hungry to play football.

Quick Reply