Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 199563 times
      DanRed44
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts | 18 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #851: Feb 05, 2017 08:39:36 am
      Time for the experiment at left back to end now, to be fair to Milner he has probably been our most consistent player for most of the season, done a great job for the team, but in our current crisis I would play him in CM, least we will get around the park and put himself about
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #852: Feb 28, 2017 12:46:32 pm
      So Jimmy was the Captain last night.
      Imagine the sh*t Hendo would have got after last night.

Not a easy thing Captaincy whith so many players not up for a fight.

You couldn't count on any last night to follow you in the trenches!
      Time Jürgen realised that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #853: Feb 28, 2017 01:45:27 pm
      So Jimmy was the Captain last night.
      Imagine the sh*t Hendo would have got after last night.

Not a easy thing Captaincy whith so many players not up for a fight.

You couldn't count on any last night to follow you in the trenches!
      Time Jürgen realised that.

Didn't realise we had a captain tbh, as no one seemed up for the F***ing fight in all honesty.

Hendo was a big loss last night.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #854: May 04, 2017 12:08:09 am
      A solid player, a serious man. We need more guys like this in our squad, sculpted in the old-school mold. The heart and work-rate he has is first class. An example to all. Should be the permanent captain and inspire the rest of the lads to shift in that extra gear. Love him  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #855: May 05, 2017 01:24:46 pm
      Great player to have in the squad and has been a great signing for us.

Having said that I'd much rather go into next season with a new proper LB and have Milly as a player who can cover a multitude of positions.

Going to be plenty of games next season.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #856: May 31, 2017 09:30:48 am
      I was thinking it's amazing how much crap Milner gets in every other match thread and yet there are so very few posts in this thread over the past season. I think he has had an excellent season myself, apart from a poor month at the turn of the year (along with the rest of his teammates) he has been the proverbial 7 out of 10 for entire season (chipping in the odd 8). I certainly think he will be first choice at LB again next season although I wish to god he would get off of corners (his delivery is always high and floated).

Milner has got some stick this season because he is a right-footer and looks to cut back onto his stronger foot but if we could bring in a genuine wide player (think a left-footed Mane) to play in front of him he would be far more effective (notice the criticisms of Clyne really ramped up once Mane was lost for the season). Our fullbacks get a lot of grief on this board at times but they are asked to provide ALL of the width much of the time. I'd like to see our wide forwards play a little less narrow at times and provide opportunities for GENUINE overlaps and 2 on 1s. It would make a huge difference.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #857: May 31, 2017 09:52:40 am
      I was thinking it's amazing how much crap Milner gets in every other match thread and yet there are so very few posts in this thread over the past season. I think he has had an excellent season myself, apart from a poor month at the turn of the year (along with the rest of his teammates) he has been the proverbial 7 out of 10 for entire season (chipping in the odd 8). I certainly think he will be first choice at LB again next season although I wish to god he would get off of corners (his delivery is always high and floated).

Milner has got some stick this season because he is a right-footer and looks to cut back onto his stronger foot but if we could bring in a genuine wide player (think a left-footed Mane) to play in front of him he would be far more effective (notice the criticisms of Clyne really ramped up once Mane was lost for the season). Our fullbacks get a lot of grief on this board at times but they are asked to provide ALL of the width much of the time. I'd like to see our wide forwards play a little less narrow at times and provide opportunities for GENUINE overlaps and 2 on 1s. It would make a huge difference.

Good post. And agree with it to an extent.

That said, we have suffered in the final third when both our fb push on. Momentum stops, handbrake goes on and Milly has to get it on his right foot. For me, that's not ideal. And while Klopp has asked an awful lot from Milner, and Milner has given it his usual professional best - it simply is a case of square peg - round hole. Peoples' frustrations with Milner at LB should be aimed at Klopp and not the player himself IMO.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #858: May 31, 2017 11:09:58 am
      Good post. And agree with it to an extent.

That said, we have suffered in the final third when both our fb push on. Momentum stops, handbrake goes on and Milly has to get it on his right foot. For me, that's not ideal. And while Klopp has asked an awful lot from Milner, and Milner has given it his usual professional best - it simply is a case of square peg - round hole. Peoples' frustrations with Milner at LB should be aimed at Klopp and not the player himself IMO.

I don't know mate, even with a left-footer in there it's way too busy in the middle. The oppo sit dip, our wide players play VERY narrow and we haven't really got anyone in there who can attack a bloody cross. People get just as frustrated with Clyne and he doesn't have to check back onto his left foot. I'd much rather see our wide forwards/middies play wide a bit more often, make the pitch a bit bigger, stretch the opposition back four the full width of the pitch rather than letting them sit compact and simply daring Milner and Clyne to do it all on their own.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #859: Jun 02, 2017 03:03:14 pm
      im interested to see what happens to Milly next season if we (fingers crossed) sign an actual decent left back
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #860: Jun 02, 2017 08:36:57 pm
      im interested to see what happens to Milly next season if we (fingers crossed) sign an actual decent left back

I will go a fiver he is starting LB next season.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #861: Jun 02, 2017 09:24:49 pm
      Milner had a good start to the season, and showed his quality by adapting straight into the left back role. The problem was that he got found out after 6 months. Everyone would just show him on the outside, exactly where he didn't want to go as cant deliver a cross from his left boot. We need other options next season.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #862: Jun 03, 2017 02:20:50 am
      Good grafter Milner and overall had a solid season at left back. If we bring in a first team left back I'm struggling to see where James will slot in the experiment with him in the middle went bad. In midfield under Jürgen he was only effective on the right.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #863: Jun 04, 2017 04:54:47 pm
      In midfield under Jürgen he was only effective on the right.

Absolutely; he's no winger but he's the best crosser in our team and I think we would benefit greatly by getting him involved more on the right.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #864: Jun 04, 2017 04:55:29 pm
      Absolutely; he's no winger but he's the best crosser in our team and I think we would benefit greatly by getting him involved more on the right.

He'd do a very good job at RB.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #865: Jun 04, 2017 09:55:48 pm

Really? name one incident of a decent cross in the last 6 months or even a corner!

We don't half go over the top in praise of average players, no great surprise we have won jack in years.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #866: Jun 04, 2017 10:02:57 pm
      Really? name one incident of a decent cross in the last 6 months or even a corner!

We don't half go over the top in praise of average players, no great surprise we have won jack in years.

I can remember quite a few good crosses from him, they all came from the right hand side of the pitch from free kicks just outside the box. It was after witnessing these that I suggested he could be a better option at RB than Clyne.... not sure you'd agree with that one  :f_tongueincheek:

As it is I would be happy if both are upgraded, but think it would be a massive mistake from Jürgen if he persists with both going into next season (as starters that is).
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #867: Jun 04, 2017 10:07:12 pm
      I can remember quite a few good crosses from him, they all came from the right hand side of the pitch from free kicks just outside the box. It was after witnessing these that I suggested he could be a better option at RB than Clyne.... not sure you'd agree with that one  :f_tongueincheek:

As it is I would be happy if both are upgraded, but think it would be a massive mistake from Jürgen if he persists with both going into next season (as starters that is).

My memory is not as good as yours then mate but I agree with you on persisting with Jimmy as a first choice LB or even RB.

I dont understand when a club as rich as ours cant buy a proper fullback, its not as though Jimmy is invaluable to the team.

I think you know my views on Clyne  :)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #868: Jun 04, 2017 10:12:36 pm
      My memory is not as good as yours then mate but I agree with you on persisting with Jimmy as a first choice LB or even RB.

I dont understand when a club as rich as ours cant buy a proper fullback, its not as though Jimmy is invaluable to the team.

I think you know my views on Clyne  :)

Jürgen might see him as invaluable as he is just about the only player on our entire squad that has won anything...he is on the pitch every week not because the club can't buy a proper fullback but because Jürgen want's him out there.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #869: Jun 04, 2017 10:35:29 pm
      Jürgen might see him as invaluable as he is just about the only player on our entire squad that has won anything...he is on the pitch every week not because the club can't buy a proper fullback but because Jürgen want's him out there.

Well we have plenty of issues signing players so not sure about we can't sign players.

All managers have blind spots and playing a ageing midfielder as a fullback esp under his own system is as far as I am concerned a mistake.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #870: Jun 05, 2017 11:52:35 am
      As much as I like James, he is gonna struggle to get in the first eleven once we bring in new faces, I mean if we get a very good LB where does he fit in as we are strong in the places he can play.

Agree.

Great player to have on the squad though.

Experienced and can cover a multitude of positions.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #871: Jun 05, 2017 01:24:50 pm
      As much as I like James, he is gonna struggle to get in the first eleven once we bring in new faces, I mean if we get a very good LB where does he fit in as we are strong in the places he can play.

Considering how many potential games and injuries we seem to get, I'm sure he'll find himself playing on a regular basis.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #872: Jun 05, 2017 01:26:37 pm
      Considering how many potential games and injuries we seem to get, I'm sure he'll find himself playing on a regular basis.

He'll play 30 games at least next season I'd bet.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #873: Jun 05, 2017 04:09:51 pm

Except from corners and free kicks right? 😉

Quick Reply