Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 199404 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #1035: Sep 18, 2018 11:53:24 pm
      Brilliant penno James.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1036: Sep 19, 2018 08:36:31 am
      Plus he ain’t that old, people talking like he’s 40.

I think part of that is because we generally have a pretty young squad, for the last couple of seasons we’ve had one of the youngest average age teams in the league so when you have a player who is perhaps a good 3-4 years older than most, it does stand out a bit more. Takes nothing away from him though. Personally when we signed him I really wasn’t happy about it, especially the way he became VC straight away too and at first he wasn’t looking like a worthwhile signing...but then, the management was in a bad shape back then. But since Klopp came in, Milner has just been getting better and better. He’s better now than when he was in his peak years.

Personally I think this will be his last season with us, I think he wants to head back to Leeds where he has unfinished business so to speak, but much like Xabi, Suarez and many others, his last season is going to be instrumental in its own way.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1037: Sep 19, 2018 10:10:05 am
      Machine.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1038: Sep 19, 2018 10:52:45 am
      I don't think Milner has ever been poor for us, and only turned out good now as some seem to portray it.
      In his first season he got double digits in assists despite eventual criticisms (if I'm not mistaken he ended the season with something ridiculous like 15 assists). The season after that he bizarrely turned into a left back and was one of the best in the league. Last season he wasn't bad either.

Milner has always been a great player for any squad, but a player with some limitations, like anyone not called Lionel Messi is. He can't be expected to be the thinking man in a lethargic midfield with even more limited players such as Emre Can. If constantly pressed, Milner doesn't have the skills or burst of speed to make things happen in the middle of the pitch either. But in a more balanced side as we are this season, and not being pressed too much like last night (one of the reasons why Henderson also had one of his better games on the ball), he's excellent.

And defensively he has the intelligence and discipline to cover the right spots of the pitch, plus the fitness and the mentality to get stuck in and contribute enormously.

He's a flawed player like all others, and will be better in a system that takes the best out of him, again like every other player. I've always been a fan but he amazingly continues to impress me even after all those years. Even if he eventually loses his place in the starting XI, it's fantastic to have Milner in our squad.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1039: Sep 19, 2018 03:38:54 pm
      5 seasons for City and only started 101 games, and not like he was sh*t too. For us, 3 full seasons and 107 games started.... City wasted him.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1040: Sep 19, 2018 05:12:20 pm
      Not only is he doing the business on the pitch but at 32 he's a shining example of professionalism and hard work to the rest of the squad. Even putting aside his brilliant form over the last few years he is invaluable in and around the dressing room.

Thought he'd drop out of the midfield with Keita and Fabinho coming in this summer but he's proving me wrong big time and I F***ing love it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1041: Sep 19, 2018 05:23:23 pm
      I always defended Milner, when people called him a plodder or said he wouldn't make it.. I knew people would be proven wrong.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1042: Sep 19, 2018 06:23:19 pm
      He thrive when there are other players running for his place. Keep it up old man :P
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1043: Sep 19, 2018 06:57:42 pm
      He thrive when there are other players running for his place. Keep it up old man :P
      I have criticize Milner a lot in the past, never for his en-devour, or his want of trying. Just felt he was not good enough and that with Henderson on the field he looked stagnant and slow to back up the attack. But these last two or three games he has been Colossal and has had a real impact on games. Simple put he as been outstanding.....

I believe like Ryan Giggs he will be playing into his 40's

I love when a player proves me wrong...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1044: Sep 19, 2018 08:56:02 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1045: Sep 19, 2018 10:03:32 pm
      It's rare that we can look back 16 years ago and recognise the same player in the same league performing at a high level. Truly unique and I suppose for a lot of us our affection towards him comes from the fact that he carries a lot of that nostalgia with him.  I mean it was so long ago that ITV's 'The Premiership' was the main event of the weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNXHP4DMX7U
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1046: Sep 19, 2018 10:10:41 pm
      I have criticize Milner a lot in the past, never for his en-devour, or his want of trying. Just felt he was not good enough and that with Henderson on the field he looked stagnant and slow to back up the attack. But these last two or three games he has been Colossal and has had a real impact on games. Simple put he as been outstanding.....

I believe like Ryan Giggs he will be playing into his 40's

I love when a player proves me wrong...
      2 or 3 games? He has been outstanding for a long long time. I have usually been impressed by him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1047: Sep 19, 2018 10:28:35 pm
      looking back through the first few pages of this thread forum members had mixed feelings about his signing. Not many if any were totally against it most including me wondered what he wanted coming here at a time when we had no CL.
      Well leaving City has given him two European finals two more than he would have had at City.
      By the way at 32 people have been know to walk unaided. FFS he could easily play on to 36 or even 37 when zimmer frames are issued as a matter of public health.
      Lets not forget the man mainly involved in Milner's best form ever is called Jürgen Klopp who seems to be able get players to run through brick walls for the team ….I remember another manager like that some years ago.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1048: Sep 19, 2018 10:49:17 pm

Lovely stuff.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1049: Sep 19, 2018 10:59:16 pm
      It's rare that we can look back 16 years ago and recognise the same player in the same league performing at a high level. Truly unique and I suppose for a lot of us our affection towards him comes from the fact that he carries a lot of that nostalgia with him.  I mean it was so long ago that ITV's 'The Premiership' was the main event of the weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNXHP4DMX7U
      The way that he is playing now it looks like the only thing that he as lost from back then is his boyish charms  ;D ;D ;D
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1050: Sep 19, 2018 11:02:54 pm
      2 or 3 games? He has been outstanding for a long long time. I have usually been impressed by him.
      He as not always impressed me If i am being honest, and I have stated that on this forum plenty of times, but as i have stated these last two or three game he has been colossal.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1051: Sep 19, 2018 11:17:09 pm
      He as not always impressed me If i am being honest, and I have stated that on this forum plenty of times, but as i have stated these last two or three game he has been colossal.

Would of said that about him before he joined the club, since Klopp has come in Milner's been F***ing brilliant and consistently good, in several positions too!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1052: Sep 19, 2018 11:26:06 pm
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1053: Sep 19, 2018 11:54:02 pm
      Would of said that about him before he joined the club, since Klopp has come in Milner's been f**king brilliant and consistently good, in several positions too!
      OK, yes he did a good job as a filling LB, but I always felt he lacked something in his game, now i am write this it as come to me... I always felt that he was more a support player than someone who could contribute to the team in his own right, a bit like when Dowing was bought so we had someone to deliver crosses to Carroll and that was all he was there for... Now Milner is proving (To me) that he is an important cog in the machine an not just the the oil which allows the Machine to run... If that makes sense
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1054: Sep 19, 2018 11:55:49 pm
      One of our best signings in recent years.

And arguably our best free signing ever.

Class act.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1055: Sep 20, 2018 02:47:26 am
      OK, yes he did a good job as a filling LB, but I always felt he lacked something in his game, now i am write this it as come to me... I always felt that he was more a support player than someone who could contribute to the team in his own right, a bit like when Dowing was bought so we had someone to deliver crosses to Carroll and that was all he was there for... Now Milner is proving (To me) that he is an important cog in the machine an not just the the oil which allows the Machine to run... If that makes sense

Another player I hated seeing in a red shirt - Stewart F***ing Downing, couldn't stand him before he signed for us, thought he was sh*te while he was here including that sh*te dig of his towards the kop after scoring against Fulham and was overjoyed when we fu**ed him off.

Milner though reminds me more of a Dirk Kuyt type of player, he never stops and will literally run through brick walls for his team.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1056: Sep 20, 2018 08:15:02 am
      Was very very happy when we signed him and knew he was a top player.

He’s got both feet, strong, deceptively quick and can pick a pass.

Not to mention his dead balls.

I’m not even sure of his position these days because he pops everywhere, he’ll be at right back one min carrying the ball the next he’s on the left of the opposition pen area threading the ball in.

Top class and one of the best players in the prem right now (if not the best),
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1057: Sep 21, 2018 09:37:48 am
      One of our best signings in recent years.

And arguably our best free signing ever.

Class act.

I think a certain Ukrainian would beg to differ. The mighty Andriy Voronin.

Quick Reply