Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 199491 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #1242: Dec 22, 2019 12:23:49 pm
      ✅ Premier League (x2)
      ✅ Champions League
      ✅ FA Cup (x2)
      ✅ League Cup
      ✅ Super Cup
      ✅ Community Shield
      ✅ Club World Cup
      ✅ PFA Young Player of the Year

James Milner has won it all. One of the most unsung and underrated players of this generation.

Football legend.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #1243: Dec 22, 2019 04:57:12 pm
      ✅ Premier League (x2)
      ✅ Champions League
      ✅ FA Cup (x2)
      ✅ League Cup
      ✅ Super Cup
      ✅ Community Shield
      ✅ Club World Cup
      ✅ PFA Young Player of the Year

James Milner has won it all. One of the most unsung and underrated players of this generation.

Football legend.

For a second I thought you were referring to Phil Neal.   
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      Reply #1244: Dec 22, 2019 04:59:27 pm
      For a second I thought you were referring to Phil Neal.   

Club World Cup Nope :)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #1245: Dec 22, 2019 05:04:02 pm

;D!  But hey his list of trophies would probably take 2 pages on the board  ;D
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1246: Feb 05, 2020 05:28:28 am
      Milner at the game last night and super vocal and helpful for the kids before and during the game. Trained with the boys the day before, then ask if he could come and help. What a lad. Dudes career is amazing, but his character might be even more so.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1247: Feb 05, 2020 06:33:16 am
      Proper Yorkshire bloke is Millie. You would want him and Hendo on your side in a battle for sure.

Has that no nonsense attitude I see in a lot of Rugby League players from his area, reminds me a bit of 3 Leeds rugby lads in Danny Maguire, Jamie Jones Buchannon and Kevin Sinfield the way he has dedicated himself to his sport and helps others around him.

Great mentality and has always been an incredible professional.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #1248: Feb 05, 2020 08:39:00 am
      What else is there to say about jimmy? Class act.
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts | 38 
      Reply #1249: Feb 05, 2020 01:23:01 pm
      Top bloke. Proud to have him at LFC.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1250: Feb 05, 2020 01:36:03 pm
      Milner seems like he’s destined to be a manager?

I feel like he’d be a wonderful leader and motivator. If he’s got the tactical nous he should consider coaching.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1251: Feb 05, 2020 02:17:01 pm
      What can I say about James Milner, he could have been somewhere hot with his feet up, he could have been out with his Family for the evening, he could have had a few mates over and had a relaxing evening.
      Not Milly, there he was behind the dug out sharing his experience with the young lads on such an important night in their short lives, what a MAN, so humble and respecful asking Critch if he could be in the dressing room before the game, fantastic to have someone like him around the club.

James, thank you, thank you very much indeed.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      Reply #1252: Feb 05, 2020 03:36:53 pm
      Well done to show up and support the team. He trained with them to get back from the injury and showed his class by being there for them!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #1253: Feb 05, 2020 04:45:02 pm
      Full marks to him for turning up at the game last night. Certainly giving the youngsters encouragement to progress against the Shropshire side.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1254: Feb 05, 2020 04:47:05 pm
      Should be on the coaching staff no question.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #1255: Feb 05, 2020 05:12:19 pm
      Not to take anything away from him but he has apparently said himself that his break had not yet started. Was due back for physio on his injury or something and his break was to start a bit later from the rest. Either way, credit to him for being there and showing support.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1256: Feb 05, 2020 06:06:29 pm
      Milner seems like he’s destined to be a manager?

I feel like he’d be a wonderful leader and motivator. If he’s got the tactical nous he should consider coaching.

Jürgen thinks the same. When asked in a recent interview, he first mentioned the 'English boys', like Milly, Hendo and Lallana. He also said Gini and Lovren could do it if they wanted, and he even mentioned Trent in the long term future.

Think it's no coincidence the mentality of the team is so strong with so many leaders in the dressing room.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1257: Feb 05, 2020 06:27:12 pm
      Not to take anything away from him but he has apparently said himself that his break had not yet started. Was due back for physio on his injury or something and his break was to start a bit later from the rest. Either way, credit to him for being there and showing support.

Yes, I read that from James Pearce as well. Said he was scheduled for duty at Melwood Monday through Wednesday and then gets a few days off before the first team reports back for training on Monday the 10th. Sadio was there on Monday as well.

Hopefully it confirms (along with Jimmy being a top-notch person) that both will be in contention to return by the Norwich City match.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1258: Feb 06, 2020 01:33:51 am
      Legend, didn't want to go on Holidays just wanted to be there to support the young Lads!
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1259: Apr 24, 2020 10:20:18 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416883

Having made his Premier League debut at the age of 16, it feels as though James Milner has been around forever.

A player of enduring excellence - as well as a Twitter star with 1.1 million followers - Manchester City were still another 10 years away from winning the Premier League when he set out in 2002.

Milner, a two-time Premier League winner with City and veteran of 534 Premier League appearances and 61 England caps, is one of the fittest members of Liverpool's squad and is producing some of the best football of his career at the age of 34.

But who is the best manager he has played under? Why is he not completely happy with one aspect of his career? And what's one of the most 'nonsense' game he has appeared in?

In a wide-ranging interview on BBC Radio 5 Live's Friday Night Football Social, Milner reveals all in a typical no-nonsense style.

Listen to the full episode of 'All About James Milner' here
      You can listen to the full interview on the Friday Night Football Social on BBC Radio 5 Live from 19:00 BST.

'Watching Rooney whetted my appetite'

Milner started at boyhood club Leeds United and, after being an unused substitute in the previous league game, a 1-0 home defeat by Everton, when a 17-year-old Wayne Rooney scored the winner, he was handed his debut by Terry Venables when he replaced Jason Wilcox as a late substitute in a 4-3 win at West Ham, aged just 16.

I travelled with the first team a few times. Wazza scored for Everton at Elland Road and I was on the bench – and that whetted the appetite.

Then it was West Ham away, we were dominating the game, we were comfortable but it got to 4-3. I came on and I repaid him [Venables] with my first touch which was straight to West Ham's Paolo Di Canio!

Luckily he put it over the bar. One of the lads asked me afterwards 'did you have a bet on 4-4?'. That was the start of it all and 18 years on I'm still playing.

You need to be lucky but I have always tried to give myself the best opportunity. Diet and gym work, I did all that early in my career as Leeds. I have always tried to push myself and always having to work and grind has definitely helped my mental strength.

That competitive streak was always driven into me as a kid. I wanted to be the best and at the front.

'I've worked for some fantastic managers - and some shockers'

As well as former England boss Venables, Milner's club and England career has seen him play for some well known names including Graeme Souness [Newcastle], Martin O'Neill [Aston Villa], Roberto Mancini [Man City], Manuel Pellegrini [Man City], while his current boss at Liverpool is Jürgen Klopp.

I was lucky in terms of the players I played with early in my career and standards they set – like Gary Speed – while I have always taken the best from the managers I have worked with.

The first year I had the same manager all season was with Martin O’Neill at Aston Villa, five or six years into my career. It's not ideal for a young lad to change managers so many times but it has definitely helped me in my career.

I have been fortunate to work under some fantastic managers - and some shockers as well. I have had a lot of managers from different countries. Different countries have different styles and different ways.

He [Klopp] is right up there at the top, if not the best. How he goes about training is different to anything I've done before.

Never do you have a session when you are in auto pilot. Everything is about reacting to the next situation.

He has a good relationship with the players and knows when a rocket is needed. He is very good at taking other opinions on board. The team always comes first.

How we play as a team is different to how I have played anywhere else. If one player doesn’t do his job, the whole thing breaks down. That is down the characters he has put together.

As a player, you are always asked about the team spirit and you always give the same generic answer ‘its great’.

But this is probably one of the first times I can genuinely say it is incredible. You could put any two players eating dinner together or in a room together and they would get on without any problems.

'I had my best season in the middle'

Throughout his impressive career, Milner has operated in almost every position, from left-back to midfield, on the wing to even playing in a temporary forward role for Manchester City, where he won the Premier League in 2012 and 2014. Where does he feel he has been most effective?

Every move I made was up in terms of the quality of the club I went to.

I had one of my best individual seasons at Aston Villa, when I played in the middle, and that got me into the England squad. I then played on the wing all the time for England and I went to Man City and played on the wing.

I have always found it strange that I probably had my best season when I played in the middle but after that I was still moved out wide.

'Nonsense, that would never happen'

In 2011-12, one of the most enthralling Premier League seasons in history went down to the final minute as Manchester City snatched the title from Manchester United after Sergio Aguero's stoppage time winner against QPR. What are Milner's memories of that day?

It was fantastic. There had been a lot of signings and the attraction of moving to Man City was to be part of the next generation of success.

Winning the FA Cup the season before gave us confidence as a team to go on and claim that title win.

If someone wrote a film and put that ending in, you'd walk out and say 'nonsense, that would never happen'.

That was incredible. To win the league like that will be remembered for a long, long time.

'We'd have played better if we hadn't scored early'

Milner won his first major honour at Liverpool last season when he helped Klopp's side beat Tottenham 2-0 in the Champions League final after Mohamed Salah's second-minute penalty set them on their way. In December, he agreed a contract extension to stay at the Premier League leaders until 2022 - when he will be 36.

The biggest thing that affected us in the Champions League final was scoring early. It isn’t a bad thing to score early but I think our performance would have been much better if we hadn't.

It is easy to go into your shell and protect what you have. We made a point of saying in the team meeting before the game that if we scored early we get on the front foot again.

In terms of performance, the goal did affect us.

Whether that was because of the wounds of losing in previous finals, I'm not sure. That shows the character of this team. We lost the 2018 Champions League final but you have to find a way to learn how to win in these finals.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1260: Apr 26, 2020 03:28:23 pm
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1261: Jul 19, 2020 10:47:04 am
      Pl and CL in the bag and Leeds back in the prem. Wonder where that all leaving Millie? If Thiago rumours are true as well..
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1262: Jul 19, 2020 10:50:26 am
      Pl and CL in the bag and Leeds back in the prem. Wonder where that all leaving Millie? If Thiago rumours are true as well..

Think we might not see him again next season to be honest. If he went to Leeds I would be happy for him otherwise would like to see him in and around the coaching staff should he want to be, as his presence around the club I feel would still be very much appreciated.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1263: Jul 19, 2020 11:07:10 am
      Think we might not see him again next season to be honest. If he went to Leeds I would be happy for him otherwise would like to see him in and around the coaching staff should he want to be, as his presence around the club I feel would still be very much appreciated.

Just can see a few stars aligning around him achieving everything he wanted to, Leeds being promoted and also Neco William's being trusted to play as the LB for us if required.

Might be the season after next but James might want to ensure they stay up next season rather than leaving it to chance.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1264: Nov 12, 2020 06:32:54 pm

Quick Reply