Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 199392 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread
      Reply #1449: Jun 07, 2022 10:25:21 pm
      In a backup role he offers a lot, in multiple positions. Great leader and can still put in a good shift when needed. Don't know why anyone would be against this team friendly type of deal.

Because he takes up playing time from young players who need developing.

What does put in a good shift mean? If you mean clattering into opposition players well he is adept at that 🤣
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #1450: Jun 07, 2022 10:34:53 pm
      What’s the point he offers nothing on the pitch - if he is that great in the dressing room give him a role on the staff.

He covers RB to a good level, probably better than Neco.
      He can cover LB if necessary (probably unlikely to be needed).
      A decent sub in midfield for the last 30 mins of games to help control games.
      Almost guaranteed to score a penalty if necessary. Cool as F*** in the most high pressure games.
      Can play the less important games (FA and League cups) with the young players. He can help them to learn game management which is a very important part of our game.

Offers plenty on the pitch and an important part of the squad.
      I agree we can reduce the number of older players in the squad and there are a few of the kids that need more game time. I'd rather see Ox leave from midfield, Origi is going, probably some others.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #1451: Jun 07, 2022 10:49:42 pm
      I respect the guy and his dedication but coming on to lump into players and give fouls away all over the place, too fouly for me, Not into that crap, we aren't Everton. Maybe he's just such an influence in the dressing room that he's kept here. Doesn't really provide much in any area on the pitch in terms of assists, key passes or goals.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1452: Jun 07, 2022 10:50:12 pm
      He covers RB to a good level, probably better than Neco.
      He can cover LB if necessary (probably unlikely to be needed).
      A decent sub in midfield for the last 30 mins of games to help control games.
      Almost guaranteed to score a penalty if necessary. Cool as F*** in the most high pressure games.
      Can play the less important games (FA and League cups) with the young players. He can help them to learn game management which is a very important part of our game.

Offers plenty on the pitch and an important part of the squad.
      I agree we can reduce the number of older players in the squad and there are a few of the kids that need more game time. I'd rather see Ox leave from midfield, Origi is going, probably some others.

Well said, agree with all of this.

We need that blend of youth and experience, Milly is one to give us that, along with Hendo for the young lads to learn from and tbh there's no-one better.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1453: Jun 07, 2022 11:01:40 pm
      what a pity Jürgen doesnt read this forum more thenhe wouldnt have signed Milly again.  We play two games a week 180mins we train daily for several hours a day andI understand James is a fantastic role model and when called upon does his job on the pitch. How can he be taking playing time from younger players if your good enough Jürgen plays you regardless of age so that can be  young Harvey or not so young James
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1454: Jun 08, 2022 03:38:48 am
      What a Professional.  Made up with the extra year!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1455: Jun 08, 2022 03:55:47 am
      Milner last few appearances (Soton, Newcastle and Wolves) might of tipped the scale for him to be considered worth keeping around for another season, he put in some useful performances when called upon.

He has his limitations (particularly pace) but he is a very clever player who can read the game well, makes intelligent run going forward and is decent with the ball his feet.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1456: Jun 08, 2022 08:48:23 am
      Surprised people are doubting this when Jürgen himself has been quite public about how keen he is for Milly to extend and how important he is to the group he has created.

On reduced wages this just seems a complete no brainer to me.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #1457: Jun 08, 2022 09:29:26 am
      Good experienced player to have  around. Sets the right example to younger players, on reduced terms, pity there are not more players with  this attitude !
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1458: Jun 08, 2022 12:53:42 pm
      Of course he can but so could I………..there’s a difference between playing and affecting a game.

His wages should have gone towards a young goal scoring midfielder that could be the difference between winning the CL or not.

Are we becoming a sentimental club, we have already offered Hendo a new contract.

He does still affect games though, i can't remember which game it was but can recall him being MOTM fairly recently, i think it might have been the Newcastle game at their place, I believe it was his tackle and pass that set up Naby to take the only goal of the game. That is affecting a game is it not? He started the win over Saints and played well, skippered the side I believe. He has come on in numerous games and helped to close them out with his work rate, physicality and nous. And what's more he doesn't rock the boat, doesn't complain to the manager, understands that his role is bit-part and he is still one of 3 captains at the club alongside Hendo and Virgil. He still affects games.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1459: Jun 08, 2022 12:56:44 pm
      Milner last few appearances (Soton, Newcastle and Wolves) might of tipped the scale for him to be considered worth keeping around for another season, he put in some useful performances when called upon.

He has his limitations (particularly pace) but he is a very clever player who can read the game well, makes intelligent run going forward and is decent with the ball his feet.

I fully agree, he played his part in all three of those games. We know he is not going to start the big games but when injuries hit, or the fixtures pile up or you need an experienced player to lead a young team in the League Cup then Milner is still very capable of doing a job and doing it well. His fitness levels and conditioning are pretty much legendary at the club so despite his age he can still get up and down the pitch and he is still a mobile player.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread (M)
      Reply #1460: Aug 23, 2022 09:23:12 am
      Something gone badly wrong when he is starting every week.

He may be a great role model but he is setting no standards out on the pitch.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1461: Aug 23, 2022 03:52:32 pm
      Was everywhere last night and nowhere at the same time.

Quite the achievement.

I think sometimes Milner thinks running around a lot trying to put out fires is what is needed when we'd have been better served if he sat in closer to Henderson and tried to get a grip of midfield and left Elliott to join with the forwards.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1462: Aug 23, 2022 03:55:21 pm
      Was everywhere last night and nowhere at the same time.

Quite the achievement.

I think sometimes Milner thinks running around a lot trying to put out fires is what is needed when we'd have been better served if he sat in closer to Henderson and tried to get a grip of midfield and left Elliott to join with the forwards.

Maybe the plan was hendo as the 6, and milner was allowed to wander, lots of things went wrong last night. At least Milner put in the effort and called VVD out on his crap defending.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1463: Aug 23, 2022 03:57:45 pm
      Love Milly an amazing servant to the club and a good player.

But the fact he is starting most games this season sums up how much of a worrying situation we're in.

Disgraceful lack of investment don't know how Jürgen is tolerating this.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1464: Aug 23, 2022 03:59:03 pm
      Maybe the plan was hendo as the 6, and milner was allowed to wander, lots of things went wrong last night. At least Milner put in the effort and called VVD out on his crap defending.

Yea Hendo was the 6 and Milner left CM and he maybe was allowed to wander.

Didn't serve us well though if that was the tactics. Milner running around out of position all night isn't the best way to control midfield in my opinion.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1465: Aug 23, 2022 04:04:24 pm
      Yea Hendo was the 6 and Milner left CM and he maybe was allowed to wander.

Didn't serve us well though if that was the tactics. Milner running around out of position all night isn't the best way to control midfield in my opinion.

Yea. Seemed a bit scatter gun approach.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1466: Aug 23, 2022 04:43:42 pm
      Something gone badly wrong when he is starting every week.

He may be a great role model but he is setting no standards out on the pitch.

Correct. All injuries hit at the same time.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #1467: Aug 23, 2022 06:07:35 pm
      Great servant but no longer good enough for a first team start , too much sentiment ,
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1468: Aug 23, 2022 06:57:02 pm
      Great servant but no longer good enough for a first team start , too much sentiment ,

Ditto
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1469: Aug 23, 2022 07:23:30 pm
      Correct. All injuries hit at the same time.

That might be true but it’s bad planning because Thiago, Ox, Curtis and Keita are always going to be injured.
      If you gamble then there’s a chance you lose out.
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #1470: Aug 23, 2022 07:41:56 pm
      That might be true but it’s bad planning because Thiago, Ox, Curtis and Keita are always going to be injured.

This right here is what the "we've got 9 players for that position" cheerleaders don't understand
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1471: Aug 24, 2022 01:05:24 am

Ox yes, but Thiago and Keita were available for most of last season eh?

Quick Reply