Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 199576 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread (M)
      Reply #1472: Aug 24, 2022 07:12:31 am
      Ox yes, but Thiago and Keita were available for most of last season eh?

Were they?

I might be wrong but I seem to remember them having plenty of time off.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #1473: Aug 24, 2022 07:23:50 am
      Were they?

I might be wrong but I seem to remember them having plenty of time off.

Both played 40 games last season , Thiago was out injured for 21 , Naby for 22
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1474: Aug 24, 2022 07:39:32 am
      We had a lucky year last year with them, let’s not pretend them being fit for 40 games is the norm.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,096 posts | 1637 
      Reply #1475: Aug 24, 2022 07:40:01 am

Naby missed 7 games in league through injury
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1476: Aug 24, 2022 10:08:36 pm

So missed about a third of all games plus with Naby how many did he start as a sub being eased back in. 😐

rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1637 
      Reply #1477: Aug 24, 2022 10:12:24 pm
      So missed about a third of all games plus with Naby how many did he start as a sub being eased back in. 😐

Naby was available for 31 league games out of 38
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #1478: Aug 25, 2022 11:07:20 am
      Obviously better suited starting from the bench, but with so many injuries to our midfield players, starting games a big ask for Milner, who has been a great servant for the club for many seasons.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1479: Aug 28, 2022 10:12:43 am
      JAmes Milner came on with Bobby Clark lee Clarks son who James played with at Newcastle in 2005 has that ever happened before
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1480: Aug 28, 2022 10:19:04 am
      JAmes Milner came on with Bobby Clark lee Clarks son who James played with at Newcastle in 2005 has that ever happened before

hmmmm. not sure, will be a cracking pub quiz question though. ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #1481: Sep 04, 2022 11:07:42 am
      I got caught our earlier this season when he started with Hendo thinking he is still up to it.

But he's done.

I'd sooner not see him play anything other then League Cup etc rest of the season.

What a pro he's been and a great signing for us but I cannot bear another cameo where he comes in running about like a lunatic and doing nothing.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1482: Oct 16, 2022 06:40:09 pm
      Milly - fair fucks where fair fucks are due. Fair fucks today lad. Super performance against a top side.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2052 
      Reply #1483: Oct 16, 2022 08:49:31 pm
      Milly - fair fucks where fair fucks are due. Fair fucks today lad. Super performance against a top side.

Yeah, I think we've all underestimated him. For sure, he needs someone to help double further up as Elliott did so superbly but

He's still one of the fittest players in the whole league (maybe the fittest) so he can still keep it ticking over late on in the game when others flag.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1484: Oct 16, 2022 09:00:43 pm
      Yeah, I think we've all underestimated him. For sure, he needs someone to help double further up as Elliott did so superbly but

He's still one of the fittest players in the whole league (maybe the fittest) so he can still keep it ticking over late on in the game when others flag.

think what we learned today with Milly is that we need to defend that side as a collective not just the right WB on his own like when Trent plays.
      Milner wasnt Milner in some regards because he was so patient and did not lunge in he was superb against Foden probably remembered the nightmare last year.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1485: Oct 16, 2022 10:01:56 pm
      think what we learned today with Milly is that we need to defend that side as a collective not just the right WB on his own like when Trent plays.
      Milner wasnt Milner in some regards because he was so patient and did not lunge in he was superb against Foden probably remembered the nightmare last year.

Milner definitely learned a lot from that last performance - did really well. Foden didn't seem to learn anything from it. Kept checking back like he was scared to take Milner on. Credit to Milner though for keeping showing Foden onto his right foot (which is really pretty sh*t, considering how good his left foot is). Foden really didn't want to go his right. Intelligent and disciplined defending from Milner.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #1486: Oct 16, 2022 10:21:17 pm
      Fair play to Milly, he did the business when many of us (myself included) seriously doubted he could. I'll very gladly eat my humble pie.
      Don77

• 6,331 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1487: Oct 16, 2022 10:24:36 pm
      Milly is a pro and always gives his best.

He did brilliant today. Wasn't ideal him having to play RB but it was the right call in my view.

Wouldn't be the same dressing room without milner so I hope he's around in some capacity when he packs in.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,982 posts | 666 
      Reply #1488: Oct 16, 2022 10:25:54 pm
      Fair play to Milly, he did the business when many of us (myself included) seriously doubted he could. I'll very gladly eat my humble pie.
      Save a piece for me...I feared he'd get sent off up against Foden.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,634 posts | 1559 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1489: Oct 16, 2022 10:25:57 pm
      Well James you proved many wrong today so well done to you, all those NOT wanting to see you play at RB or anywhere near the starting 11 in the pre-match thread, you bossed it  :nod:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1490: Oct 16, 2022 10:58:11 pm
      /
      I will eat humble pie all day long if plays like that in fact all our defence were superb
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1491: Oct 17, 2022 06:33:21 am
      /
      I will eat humble pie all day long if plays like that in fact all our defence were superb

Not often you do re players as you always stand by your man! Or should that be men since it’s a team.  ;D Don’t know who the official MOTM was but he most definitely deserved it on that 90 min show. Think we know his days are numbered but he’s been a great servant for you lot.

Don77

• 6,331 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1492: Oct 17, 2022 07:43:02 am
      Won't be the same here without milly. Hope we van keep him at the club in some capacity. He's a fantastic pro, well respected by the lads and a great example. He's knows his stuff.

On his performance yesterday. It just showed that it can be done defensively when you are disciplined ... switched on ... gritty and determined. And he got forward his fair share of times as well. But he didn't neglect his defensive duties.

I don't need trent playing right wing and jogging back. I need him doing what milner did yesterday which is to be part of a unit at the back ... all working together. He's a defender. People can go on about milner had cover yesterday ... rubbish. You can't cover a full back who's 50yds up the pitch jogging back.

Milner positionally was perfect yesterday and kept foden as quiet as he's been this season. Fantastic effort.

Trent will always have chances to bomb on during games and he's proven he's very good at it. He's fantastic at his best. But he needs to defend as well ... it helps the team just as much as his attacking qualities do and gives us a solid base to play from.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1493: Oct 17, 2022 02:13:59 pm
      Fair play, I didn't want to see him anywhere near our starting 11 but he was just what we needed yesterday. Thought him and Gomez worked extremely well together and him and Harvey seemed to know when to double up and when to not.

Not sure he has it in him to start again midweek but after that performance I can't be mad if he does start.
      Don77

• 6,331 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1494: Oct 17, 2022 02:28:19 pm
      Fair play, I didn't want to see him anywhere near our starting 11 but he was just what we needed yesterday. Thought him and Gomez worked extremely well together and him and Harvey seemed to know when to double up and when to not.

Not sure he has it in him to start again midweek but after that performance I can't be mad if he does start.

Can see trent back in if he trains OK today/tomorrow

Quick Reply