Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

James Milner Player Thread (M) (Liverpool > Brighton & HA)

Read 199398 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: James Milner Player Thread (M)
      Reply #1518: May 04, 2023 07:27:32 pm
      He’s been an absolutely superb signing, won it all with us and was a huge part of each success!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1519: May 04, 2023 07:50:52 pm
      Hopefully he will find his way back one day to do some coaching.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #1520: May 04, 2023 08:32:45 pm
      Something will go out of our club when he leaves! Can we not give him a deal that he can sign up to, he will be wonderful to have around the club for the youngsters going forward, what better role model is there out there!
      So sad to read today that he’s planning on leaving.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1521: May 04, 2023 10:08:53 pm
      Something will go out of our club when he leaves! Can we not give him a deal that he can sign up to, he will be wonderful to have around the club for the youngsters going forward, what better role model is there out there!
      So sad to read today that he’s planning on leaving.

End of an era, I think back to all the massive games with Klopp over the years and feels like Milner was involved in all of them
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1522: May 04, 2023 10:32:08 pm
      Milner going to Brighton to keep up good relations when we buy Mac Allister?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1523: May 05, 2023 01:11:20 am
      I hope he doesn't just go there for a year and retire.

Just stay with us Millie.

gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #1524: May 05, 2023 07:30:05 am
      I hope he doesn't just go there for a year and retire.

Just stay with us Millie.

Go to Brighton, play a lot of games to get closer to the PL appearance record.
      Study their coaching and recruitment strategy, clearly they are doing something right.
      Come back to LFC as a coach and bring a few of their staff with you.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1525: May 05, 2023 08:53:54 am
      Go to Brighton, play a lot of games to get closer to the PL appearance record.
      Study their coaching and recruitment strategy, clearly they are doing something right.
      Come back to LFC as a coach and bring a few of their staff with you.

Would he really play a lot of games?

What position would they use him?

gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #1526: May 05, 2023 01:16:42 pm
      Would he really play a lot of games?

What position would they use him?

I assume it would be similar to his role in our team, a few starts but lots of 30 min appearances from the subs bench.

Looks like Brighton are going to get into Europe so Milner is a good option for them. Experienced player who will add squad depth. Might be happy with a 1 year contract, maybe an option for a 2nd year.

His opportunities at Liverpool will be reducing next season. If we add more quality in midfield he'll be competing with Hendo and Fabinho for games.

Personally, I'd like him to stay another season, or move to the coaching staff but I understand why he is leaving. I don't think we will be selling Fab, Thiago or Hendo, if we want to renew the squad some of the older players need to move on.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1527: May 05, 2023 07:15:50 pm
      Well done James, thanks for everything. Mostly for your professional behaviour and leadership.

Good luck for your future.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1528: May 05, 2023 07:22:27 pm
      Very disappointed a player with the professionalism and experience of James Milner is just walking out of the club. I would hope the club tried to retain that knowledge and experience until the end ... but alas its more off the wage bill in reality.

What a player, pro and all round piece of gold he's been for this club. Thanks for everything James and all the very best for the future. Legend status assured through these eyes.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #1529: May 05, 2023 07:43:09 pm
      Good luck to James Milner, Brighton are on the up and will have a quality player to add to their squad !
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1530: May 06, 2023 12:38:31 am
      Just can't believe we couldn't have done anything more to keep him at the Club in any capacity.

Just letting him walk out the door for free. F**k sake!!!

Good Luck to ya Millie.

Thank you for your Services.

YNWA
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1531: May 06, 2023 04:20:32 am
      Legend
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1532: May 06, 2023 08:15:15 am
      Just can't believe we couldn't have done anything more to keep him at the Club in any capacity.

Just letting him walk out the door  for free. F**k sake!!!

Good Luck to ya Millie.

Thank you for your Services.

YNWA

I never you the term lightly but think you can call him a legend and I’ll agree with you for once.   :P
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #1533: May 06, 2023 11:42:05 am
      We moan and sulk that our squad is too old and how Klopp is too loyal to certain players then when it looks like we're letting the oldest member squad go and we're all in uproar about it.

If we want to evolve as a team then we need to move on from players like James Milner. And while he may be a shining example to everybody on what a professional footballer should be, he's had his day here.

A clear out of the squad players at best is clearly underway with Naby, Bobby and Ox already going and now Milner is being added to that list. Get rid of a couple others for a few bob and the squad can start looking forward rather than living on past glories.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1534: May 06, 2023 11:51:53 am
      Right time for all parties to move on, especially if Milner wants to get a bit more game time.

Hendo can go into the Milly role from next season.

No doubt the lad has played his part in our success though, one of our best ever free transfers if not the best.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #1535: May 06, 2023 12:24:58 pm
      We moan and sulk that our squad is too old and how Klopp is too loyal to certain players then when it looks like we're letting the oldest member squad go and we're all in uproar about it.

If we want to evolve as a team then we need to move on from players like James Milner. And while he may be a shining example to everybody on what a professional footballer should be, he's had his day here.

A clear out of the squad players at best is clearly underway with Naby, Bobby and Ox already going and now Milner is being added to that list. Get rid of a couple others for a few bob and the squad can start looking forward rather than living on past glories.
      Spot on...the squad is always in transition and as the door closes on Miller's career with us, so another door opens for someone else. He's been a solid pro and a great example to the next generation but it's time to move on.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1536: May 06, 2023 01:34:41 pm
      Ah Jim lad...coming to the end of his time here. Bit in media that Brighton want him. I would be thinking offer him something on the staff. But he might want a player/manager role. Whatever he's been fantastic for us. I wanted us to go after him when Leeds were having a 'fire sale'. Be missed when he goes.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #1537: May 06, 2023 04:00:48 pm
      Him and Firmino both leaving at the same time gives me this feeling of sadness. I know we are due for a squad regen, but I'll really miss both of these guys. Yet another player that people like dismiss if not worse (I'm thinking of Gini), but that has been invaluable to the team with the experience, confidence and professionalism that he brought to the team.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1538: May 06, 2023 08:41:08 pm
      Milner going to Brighton to keep up good relations when we buy Mac Allister?

And Caicedo!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1539: May 06, 2023 08:43:46 pm
      What an amazing servant to the club he has been. Even now when he comes on with 10 to play to help close out a game you just know he won’t let anyone down. Consummate professional and one of the three key leaders (along with Hendo and VVD) in this great side over the past five years. Remember when he was the man we relied to score late penalties to win games.
      cockofbootle
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #1540: May 16, 2023 04:31:52 pm
      James Milner has been an incredible signing for LFC, and served us for 8 years! During that time he has been ever dependable as we've been crowned the Champions of England, Champions of Europe and Champions of the World, picking up every trophy possible.

The Boss said, "I said a couple of times nothing positive that happened in the last seven and a half years would have happened without James Milner." This is the highest possible accolade.

To mark this unsung hero and legend of our football club, he deserves a song better than "There's only 1 James Milner".

Thus we have come up with a fitting song for Millie...
      To the tune of Kaiser Chiefs, "Ruby".

Millie, Millie, Millie, Millie - we think he's Jürgen's daa,
      Millie, Millie, Millie, Millie - he tackles very hard,
      Millie, Millie, Millie, Millie - he's on a yellow card,
      Millie, Millie, Millie, Millie - he likes a Ribe-na... na-na!

Please share if you want.

Quick Reply