Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Colin Pascoe sacked

Read 65140 times
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Re: Colin Pascoe sacked
      Reply #23: Jun 05, 2015 05:46:59 pm
      This was certainly a good time to set a precedent

Absolutely, you can't fault the decision.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #24: Jun 05, 2015 05:50:04 pm
      I agree. Plus I think Carra seems to be happy with his gig right now.

Has said he would take a job if it was offered I believe.

Carra as assistant? Yes he would gain the respect of players of course, but when we're all shouting out for experience, we really think that's an ideal appointment? Not for me sadly.

He needs to get out of the Sky studio and on to some serious coaching, this should be a meritocracy and we are only asking for trouble by asking former legends with no hint of coaching experience to come in.

He, like Gerrard, needs to gain experience and prove they are quality coaches at other clubs before even being considered for such a post.

I know what you mean but he has experience of the game like not many others, coaching is of course different but not so vastly different. I believe he would make a fantastic coach but I do also believe he could be too strong a personality for Brendan to contain and he would probably perceive him as a threat.

Just as an aside to this, do we think that Brendan threw his men under the bus, was just honest or it was an independent evaluation that brought about these sackings?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #25: Jun 05, 2015 05:52:00 pm
      Huge amount of power loss for Rodgers esp with Pascoe getting the boot.

Anybody think a DoF will be announced next or am I jumping the gun!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Jun 05, 2015 05:52:42 pm
      I'm genuinely nervous as to who Brendan brings in. Hopefully not another of his ex-Swansea contingent.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #27: Jun 05, 2015 05:53:25 pm

I know what you mean but he has experience of the game like not many others, coaching is of course different but not so vastly different. I believe he would make a fantastic coach but I do also believe he could be too strong a personality for Brendan to contain and he would probably perceive him as a threat.

Just as an aside to this, do we think that Brendan threw his men under the bus, was just honest or it was an independent evaluation that brought about these sackings?

May have been a requirement from FSG of him retaining his job, seeing as though he was at such a low point.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28: Jun 05, 2015 05:55:00 pm
      May have been a requirement from FSG of him retaining his job, seeing as though he was at such a low point.

Oh without doubt this was a stipulation, never have I seen an assistant and first team coach but the manager retained. Shows just how close he was for the chop imo.

I'm genuinely nervous as to who Brendan brings in. Hopefully not another of his ex-Swansea contingent.

I'm hoping Brendan doesn't have a choice, then the "yes-men" brigade finally are dismantled.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #29: Jun 05, 2015 05:55:21 pm
      Sami has managed Leverkusen and Brighton but what about Zenden? Has he had any jobs in football since retiring? Does anyone know?

Assisted Rafa at Chelsea for those months and did very well by all accounts, and I think he is an assistant at a club in the division below the Eredevise.

As it looks, Sami looks the most qualified, but Zenden, being Dutch, may have the coaching ideas that are similar to Rodgers.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #30: Jun 05, 2015 05:55:39 pm

First reaction is that it could have been Brendan saving his skin, but if there really was some sort of end of season review undertaken...I'm thinking it's likely that all parties were interviewed individually and then the folks in charge (Gordon/Werner, etc...) probably made the decisions based on what they heard.

I'm wondering if they didn't come to the conclusion that Brendan needs more defensive help and someone more willing to provide a counter balance.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #31: Jun 05, 2015 05:55:57 pm

Oh without doubt this was a stipulation, never have I seen an assistant and first team coach but the manager retained. Shows just how close he was for the chop imo.

I'm hoping Brendan doesn't have a choice, then the "yes-men" brigade finally are dismantled.

Could be a bit awkward if the decision of who the next assistant is gets made by the execs though, the manager has to feel comfortable with him after all.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #32: Jun 05, 2015 05:57:37 pm
      I don't think I've ever seen a case where the assistant manager and 1st team coach are sacked but not the manager.

Marsh & Pascoe walk alone, not with Rodgers.

Maybe one of the reasons why Rodgers keeps his position is by sacrificing his men for his own position?.

I thought the management worked as a collective? If the answer is yes how the F**k does Brendan avoid the axe?.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #33: Jun 05, 2015 05:59:26 pm

Goodness sake, we can't say that Brendan 'threw them under the bus' when we were all clamouring for some change in structure.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34: Jun 05, 2015 06:00:00 pm
      Excellent..

Love progress
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #35: Jun 05, 2015 06:00:05 pm

Maybe one of the reasons why Rodgers keeps his position is by sacrificing his men for his own position?.

I thought the management worked as a collective? If the answer is yes how the f**k does Brendan avoid the axe?.

I know no one cares (but I'll say it anyway) but in American sports (NFL, NBA), there are many times where the head coach keeps his job and his assistants will be sacrificed.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #36: Jun 05, 2015 06:00:56 pm

I thought the management worked as a collective? If the answer is yes how the f**k does Brendan avoid the axe?.

Simple. Fsg deem brendan good enough to stay but his staff not.

SIMPLES
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #37: Jun 05, 2015 06:02:34 pm
      Simple. Fsg deem brendan good enough to stay but his staff not.

SIMPLES

Or they had no other credible candidate if klopp and Ancelotti turned them down.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Jun 05, 2015 06:03:35 pm
      Seriously lads this is only a good thing. 

First positive day iv felt as a fan in months.

If you are not good enough for the job of a Liverpool coach you should be replaced....

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39: Jun 05, 2015 06:03:50 pm
      I know no one cares (but I'll say it anyway) but in American sports (NFL, NBA), there are many times where the head coach keeps his job and his assistants will be sacrificed.

Football does not work this way, it's doomed to fail when a manager has his assistant from day one sacked.

Unless Rodgers chooses his next 2nd in command in my opinion Rodgers will be next to go as FSG are making way for a new regime set up.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #40: Jun 05, 2015 06:04:00 pm
      Like John Henry getting rid of the Red Sox pitching coach. Guess this something he has no problem with right now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #41: Jun 05, 2015 06:04:07 pm
      Goodness sake, we can't say that Brendan 'threw them under the bus' when we were all clamouring for some change in structure.

I asked the question, I didn't say it was a fact.

I'm clearly very happy about this change as I was calling for it for a long time but was just interested how people thought this decision came about. Do you think they interviewed Colin, because I don't.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #42: Jun 05, 2015 06:04:34 pm

Or they had no other credible candidate if klopp and Ancelotti turned them down.

Ye but either way they have discerned that bren can stay and hopefully with better backroom staff the team as a whole will be better.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #43: Jun 05, 2015 06:06:40 pm
      Again, just like Marsh, how the F**k do you know if Pascoe was or wasn't a good coach?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #44: Jun 05, 2015 06:07:10 pm
      Carra as assistant? Yes he would gain the respect of players of course, but when we're all shouting out for experience, we really think that's an ideal appointment? Not for me sadly.

He needs to get out of the Sky studio and on to some serious coaching, this should be a meritocracy and we are only asking for trouble by asking former legends with no hint of coaching experience to come in.

He, like Gerrard, needs to gain experience and prove they are quality coaches at other clubs before even being considered for such a post.

Yeah, but if the shorts fit....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #45: Jun 05, 2015 06:09:50 pm
      Again, just like Marsh, how the f**k do you know if Pascoe was or wasn't a good coach?

Well...if he was a good coach, he'd probably still be here ;D

Quick Reply