Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Colin Pascoe sacked

Read 65137 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Colin Pascoe sacked
      Reply #437: Jun 11, 2015 07:22:13 pm
      Brendan effectively is a Head Coach now from what I can see which I'm onboard with.

I hope we are going to appoint someone above him as well as new coaching staff though.

Well, this is where things start to get a bit murky for me.
      If BR has effectively been demoted and has agreed to work under a DoF, then I'd lose respect for a man who allowed his principles to be undermined.
      However, at the same time I'd also be very keen to see what he could do if unencumbered by other management responsibilities.

If he could show that the present is a different situation to when he refused to work under a DoF, then I'd be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and think of him in terms of being flexible rather than just abandoning his principles.

We've probably got around 3 weeks before we find out, more or less.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #438: Jun 12, 2015 12:44:43 am
      I've read this twelve times, no idea what it means.  ???

Sorry typo error, "it" should be "is".
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #439: Jun 12, 2015 12:45:23 am
      It means that the failure of Pascoe and Marsh is partially down to Brendan and his ability to control those under him. Not totally, but partially. If orders were not being carried out to his instruction then it was a failure on Brendan's part that he did nothing to address it.

Exactly. Thanks mate.

jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #440: Jun 12, 2015 03:45:31 am
      If we appoint a Director of Football, it would definitely signal Klopp could be coming.

So weird as it sounds, hopefully we appoint a DoF
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #441: Jun 12, 2015 10:32:34 am
      This is one of the issues I raised when the replacement thread was up and running.
      I can't find the source right now (can't be arsed if truth be known), but it was an interview in which he said he builds the players understanding of what he wants them to do over the course of a weeks training, instilling it in them so it becomes second nature and works almost subliminally.
      "You train dogs, I educate players"
      It's a nice idea and almost the complete opposite of Rafa's "stratego" approach, but I think I know which method I prefer.

It may be a nice idea Swab but it clearly doesn't work. Mourinho, van Gaal, Pellegrini and Wenger have a more hectic schedule than us and you never ever hear them complain about a lack of training time. I just thought it was pathetic and feeble myself. I have no doubt that if he needs to he can call the players in for extra training, it will be in their contracts.

The thing is this for me, after the players have been here for a while then the time required to absorb his tactics will lessen. No game plan will ever deviate so severely that it would take a week to drum into them. I'm just not buying this excuse, it made me cringe when he said it, it made him look like a whinger.

I'm afraid that if he does indeed educate his players then this Season the majority of them have failed their exams severely. You might train 'dogs' but it's the lack of fight in the 'dog' that derailed our Season so badly. It's not all about educating, there has to be a balance for me. It just so happened that when we needed dogs to show some fight we ended up with a bunch of Andrex puppies.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #442: Jun 12, 2015 11:15:19 am
      It may be a nice idea Swab but it clearly doesn't work. Mourinho, van Gaal, Pellegrini and Wenger have a more hectic schedule than us and you never ever hear them complain about a lack of training time. I just thought it was pathetic and feeble myself. I have no doubt that if he needs to he can call the players in for extra training, it will be in their contracts.

The thing is this for me, after the players have been here for a while then the time required to absorb his tactics will lessen. No game plan will ever deviate so severely that it would take a week to drum into them. I'm just not buying this excuse, it made me cringe when he said it, it made him look like a whinger.

I'm afraid that if he does indeed educate his players then this Season the majority of them have failed their exams severely. You might train 'dogs' but it's the lack of fight in the 'dog' that derailed our Season so badly. It's not all about educating, there has to be a balance for me. It just so happened that when we needed dogs to show some fight we ended up with a bunch of Andrex puppies.

Nicely put, and I find myself nodding in agreement as I read this.

Another training concern is that the players seemed to lack fitness throughout the season.
      When I look at the top 4, and think back to the great Liverpool teams, these teams all got stronger, fitter and quicker as the season went on, leading to the players being at peak fitness for the run in.
      We seemed to struggle early, hit a peak of fitness in the middle of the season in the unbeaten run and then struggled at the end of the season, which suggests to me that BR has got something wrong.
      As much as I dislike ferguson, he was a master at getting his teams to peak fitness at just the right time, and it's something of a worrying trend that BR's teams don't achieve this.
      We've seen the same dodgy start, a burst in the middle, then a tail in fitness towards the end off in every season he's been here. It's not always very noticeable, but it's there if you look.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #443: Jun 12, 2015 11:16:05 am
      has the club released any statements yet regarding all these sackings
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #444: Jun 13, 2015 08:06:19 am
      The manager takes the glory when things go well and the heat when things go bad.

In your mind Brendan takes gets no glory for the 2nd place but it 100% to blame for finishing in 6th

So was it Kenny's fault or Luis's fault for finishing 7th in 2012? or do you have some one else to blame for that year?

What a crock of sh*t.

so you think Jamie Carragher and other legends also are a crock of sh*t.Do get your facts right in 2012 Luis couldn't hit a barn door from 5 paces he hit the woodwork plenty of times though.
      If Brendan was such a genius last season when Luis was playing he had this season to confrim that status without Luis or was the debacle this season down to the transfer committee.
      Jamie said "he was the best player in the Premier League by a mile last year,” he added. “Almost took Liverpool to the title, almost single-handedly."
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #445: Jun 13, 2015 10:09:04 am
      so you think Jamie Carragher and other legends also are a crock of sh*t.Do get your facts right in 2012 Luis couldn't hit a barn door from 5 paces he hit the woodwork plenty of times though.
      If Brendan was such a genius last season when Luis was playing he had this season to confrim that status without Luis or was the debacle this season down to the transfer committee.
      Jamie said "he was the best player in the Premier League by a mile last year,” he added. “Almost took Liverpool to the title, almost single-handedly."

He is right though if you ask me. The amount of goals he scored and made was ridiculous.

I mean most of the goals Raheem scored in that season were like them snidey fifa goals where you get to the touch line and square it.

And if he was a better player he'd have bagged a lot more too.

I think Suarez is also partly to blame for Sterlings massively inflated ego.

EDIT: Luis skill, determination,  creativity, eye for a pass and sheer will to win made a lot of our players look a lot better than they are.

I think without him that season would have panned out similar to the debacle we've just witnessed.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #446: Jun 13, 2015 11:27:01 am

How many hours a day does a footballer actually train and is it all fitness, surely for the money they earn it should more or less be every single day, at least 8 hrs, with maybe a single day off after matches and it shouldn't all be physical, there should be plenty of theory, watching videos analysing plays and runs etc, discussing strategy. I get the distinct feeling that none of this happens under Brendan, that's it all just physical, no work on crosses/corners for example. In many ways a lot fo football coaching is still in the dark ages compared to other sports.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #447: Jun 13, 2015 12:40:24 pm
      He is right though if you ask me. The amount of goals he scored and made was ridiculous.

I mean most of the goals Raheem scored in that season were like them snidey fifa goals where you get to the touch line and square it.

And if he was a better player he'd have bagged a lot more too.

I think Suarez is also partly to blame for Sterlings massively inflated ego.

EDIT: Luis skill, determination,  creativity, eye for a pass and sheer will to win made a lot of our players look a lot better than they are.

I think without him that season would have panned out similar to the debacle we've just witnessed.

I think he did make the players around him better its an obvious statement now given last season. Sturridge certainly improved as he learned and Stevie also had a new lease of life. I guess we are where we are a disfunctional squad absent deluded owners and a Manager who probably isn't too certain about his future.
      Now what sort of footballer will want to come to Anfield with so many unanswered questions.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #448: Jun 13, 2015 07:41:57 pm
      I think he did make the players around him better its an obvious statement now given last season. Sturridge certainly improved as he learned and Stevie also had a new lease of life. I guess we are where we are a disfunctional squad absent deluded owners and a Manager who probably isn't too certain about his future.
      Now what sort of footballer will want to come to Anfield with so many unanswered questions.

5 years down the road and we are still stuck with the owner who doesn't has the financial muscle to propel this club club back to where they belong and constantly trying out new policies that successful clubs know it won't work that we have seen failed time and again before our eyes. Hard fact is FSG does not have the financial muscle to compete and that leads to many of the failed policies. Looks like we are stuck with them until they decides to sell.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #449: Jun 14, 2015 09:36:44 am
      Nicely put, and I find myself nodding in agreement as I read this.

Another training concern is that the players seemed to lack fitness throughout the season.
      When I look at the top 4, and think back to the great Liverpool teams, these teams all got stronger, fitter and quicker as the season went on, leading to the players being at peak fitness for the run in.
      We seemed to struggle early, hit a peak of fitness in the middle of the season in the unbeaten run and then struggled at the end of the season, which suggests to me that BR has got something wrong.
      As much as I dislike ferguson, he was a master at getting his teams to peak fitness at just the right time, and it's something of a worrying trend that BR's teams don't achieve this.
      We've seen the same dodgy start, a burst in the middle, then a tail in fitness towards the end off in every season he's been here. It's not always very noticeable, but it's there if you look.

There are big problems Swab, you are right. Our lack of sharpness in the early part of the Season and the latter too was plain to see as you have already stated. Your statement got me thinking something that i don't really want to contemplate.

I am starting to think that the reason Pascoe and Marsh were fu**ed off is possibly because Brendan blamed them for the lack of improvement in all departments over the Season. Surely an assistant manager and a coach would be able to get the message across and alleviate the pressure from Rodgers? I find it strange that they were fu**ed off and Brendan kept his job, it does lead me to think that he could have laid the blame squarely at their door? I would have thought that FSG would have seen this as a collective failure myself, it just makes the decision all the more difficult to comprehend.

Whatever went wrong this Season, the complaints about a lack of training time always seemed strange to me. Maybe now the picture is becoming more clear as the fallout begins. I don't want to think that Brendan would be capable of doing this but if he did then he deserves everything he gets if true.

However, the lack of training time doesn't excuse our lack of intensity during a game. Were the players tossing it off when Brendan wasn't about? It's possible that certain players were creating a negative atmosphere in training, the tail end of the Season definitely displayed signs of a team that was disjointed.

However the sacking of Pascoe panned out i am glad he is gone. What i would never wish on any man though, is for a man to lose his job through the deviance of another man. I sincerely hope this isn't the case, if it is then this Season could be about to get very messy.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #450: Jun 19, 2015 11:14:27 pm
      Seeing Pep Ljinders getting mentioned?

Who's he like?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #451: Jun 19, 2015 11:23:55 pm
      Seeing Pep Ljinders getting mentioned?

Who's he like?

Our U16 coach mate.

Very highly rated.

I'd guess he's getting Marsh's job.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #452: Jun 19, 2015 11:30:43 pm
      Our U16 coach mate.

Very highly rated.

I'd guess he's getting Marsh's job.

Who would you like to see for assistant manager Si?; I think Sami could do a job.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #453: Jun 19, 2015 11:33:46 pm
      Pep's done a great job with the U16s and tons of other youngsters across the continent.

I think he'd be a fine appointment but I'm just wary that we won't get a viable replacement for him for the U16s. It's imperative we appoint a top top youth coach to replace him - perhaps that's why the announcement is taking its time while we make the required appointments across all senior and youth.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #454: Jun 19, 2015 11:58:45 pm
      Who would you like to see for assistant manager Si?; I think Sami could do a job.

Bloody hell mate have you not been paying attention in this thread? ;D

Sami not for me.

Ideally I'd have a Pako or Rene Muelensteen type and I think Muelensteen is more realistic.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #455: Jun 20, 2015 01:34:39 am
      Whoever it may be must have the experience and technical know how to make full use of the player's strength and to unlock tight defence.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #456: Jun 20, 2015 02:16:12 pm
      Pako all day for me, knows the Cub inside out but i fear Rodgers may not like somebody too much in his face. If not then it has to be Sami.

Ideally both.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #457: Jun 20, 2015 02:41:55 pm
      Bloody hell mate have you not been paying attention in this thread? ;D

Sami not for me.

Ideally I'd have a Pako or Rene Muelensteen type and I think Muelensteen is more realistic.

Heard Muelensteen a few times on sky and I just can't take to the c**t, plus he worked under Whiskeynose, so that's a big F***ing no from me straightaway.

Get Pako's hill back at Melwood  8)

Quick Reply