Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool's New Back Room - Your Choice

Read 58529 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Liverpool's New Back Room - Your Choice
      Reply #23: Jun 06, 2015 11:14:11 pm
      Realistically, if rumours are to be believed, I'd be delighted if Pako Ayesteran returned to the club as assistant.

Assisted Benitez to two La Ligas, a UEFA Cup, a Champions League and an FA Cup.

No better assistant CV than that eh? It's a no brainer. Yet some want Fowler? Utterly bizarre...

In fact, I'm pissing myself here just trying to comprehend why some think that is a good choice. Over Pako. Seriously.

No room for sentiment here I'm telling you.
      « Last Edit: Jun 06, 2015 11:38:22 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #24: Jun 06, 2015 11:19:52 pm
      Ray Wilkins.... Chelsea were running a way with the League until they sacked Wilkins then it fell apart
      Pako.... Always though that he would make a fine seconded
      Thommo.....has the passion and great in charge while Houllier was laid up
      Alan Hansen.... although he may take some convincing
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #25: Jun 06, 2015 11:26:29 pm
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #26: Jun 06, 2015 11:30:30 pm
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #27: Jun 06, 2015 11:30:46 pm
      Pako would be brilliant although I'm surprised he's interested considering he just led Maccabi Tel Aviv to a treble.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28: Jun 06, 2015 11:36:22 pm
      Pako would be clearly an outstanding choice, I really didn't think he would even be an option after stepping up to a managerial position. He wouldn't just come in as a number 2 in my mind he'd come in as a direct threat to Brendan. Could either work tremendously or be a disaster for Brendan, I'm hoping for the former, perhaps slightly expecting the latter.

Would love to see the difference in our side, both mentality and organisation once a proper number 2 comes in.

I personally would see Pako as an upgrade even on Carra, never considered it simply because I thought he'd moved on and moved up.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #29: Jun 06, 2015 11:41:44 pm
      Pako Ayestaren's recent twitter activity?

Following James Pearce of the Echo and Jamie Carragher!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #30: Jun 06, 2015 11:42:21 pm
      Pako Ayestaren's recent twitter activity?

Following James Pearce of the Echo and Jamie Carragher!

Interesting bit of detective work there Mr Holmes!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #31: Jun 06, 2015 11:44:43 pm
      Interesting bit of detective work there Mr Holmes!

Just a complete coincidence or he's getting into contact with his new coaching colleague!  ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #32: Jun 06, 2015 11:46:46 pm
      Just a complete coincidence or he's getting into contact with his new coaching colleague!  ;D

Could you imagine those two together, that really would be a dream for me personally.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #33: Jun 06, 2015 11:47:19 pm
      Pako would be clearly an outstanding choice, I really didn't think he would even be an option after stepping up to a managerial position. He wouldn't just come in as a number 2 in my mind he'd come in as a direct threat to Brendan. Could either work tremendously or be a disaster for Brendan, I'm hoping for the former, perhaps slightly expecting the latter.

Would love to see the difference in our side, both mentality and organisation once a proper number 2 comes in.

I personally would see Pako as an upgrade even on Carra, never considered it simply because I thought he'd moved on and moved up.
      If Rodgers had a pair of balls he'd walk . They were never LFC material and it beggars belief how they got their toe in the door in the first place . Now Shankly Paisley Fagan Moran that was quality . Pako would be ideal for the job .

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34: Jun 06, 2015 11:49:26 pm

There's no doubt that Pako would be an upgrade on Carra. The man is a gold standard European coach and is probably the best coach we've ever had in the modern era. But he would be handy to have on the training field as 1st team coach in weekdays because his presence alone would be so vital in a squad that is severely depleted of any inspiration at all.

In addition to this I struggle to see how the solution to getting back to the European elite involves hiring Robbie Fowler as no.2 unless we're in some bizarre and warped universe.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #35: Jun 06, 2015 11:51:51 pm
      There's no doubt that Pako would be an upgrade on Carra. The man is a gold standard European coach and is probably the best coach we've ever had in the modern era. For all his vocal qualities, the fact is Carra hasn't proved himself as a coach and in my opinion must start where most coaches start - youth level or lower league.

In addition to this I struggle to see how the solution to getting back to the European elite involves hiring Robbie Fowler as no.2 unless we're in some bizarre and warped universe.

Carra is one of those exceptions in my mind, he just ticks all the right boxes that I'd be willing to take the chance. I understand your reluctance completely and do agree with you about Robbie. As much as I loved him as a player, my idol in fact, I think personally he'd be a terrible coach.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36: Jun 06, 2015 11:54:19 pm
      Carra is one of those exceptions in my mind, he just ticks all the right boxes that I'd be willing to take the chance. I understand your reluctance completely and do agree with you about Robbie. As much as I loved him as a player, my idol in fact, I think personally he'd be a terrible coach.

Just re edited my post when you posted this because I realised how wrong I was in light of the fact we have no inspiration to draw on from the field especially now that Gerrard has gone. We do need someone like Carra in there on the field. Problem is in what capacity.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #37: Jun 07, 2015 12:00:17 am

Our assistant manager has to be intelligent, a great communicator and a man with PLENTY of ideas.

I adore Robbie but I don't think our problems on and off the field will be solved by someone who once said that his favourite chat up line was: 'Do you like jewellery? Well suck my cock because it's a gem!'
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #38: Jun 07, 2015 12:00:40 am
      Carra is one of our smarter ex players so I do think, playing career aside, he would make the best out of all the ex pros mentioned.

And I'm totally against players being shoehorned in as managers (worked with Kenny but there's only one of him) but I think he'd probably make a better manager than Gerrard. Seeing his on field commands throughout the year, he obviously is a natural leader, more so than Gerrard probably (who leads more by example).
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #39: Jun 07, 2015 12:02:00 am

Our assistant manager has to be intelligent, a great communicator and a man with PLENTY of ideas.

I adore Robbie but I don't think our problems on and off the field will be solved by a man who said that his favourite chat up line was: 'Do you like jewellery? Well suck my cock because it's a gem!'

Well judging by comments here, some obviously think he has the maturity and intelligence to be our assistant.

Jesus wept...

The man is thick as mince to be brutally honest and lacks all maturity, typified mostly by his homophobic dig to Graeme Le Soux. I'll keep my memories of him for his footballing skills only thank you very much.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Jun 07, 2015 12:09:46 am

I adore Robbie but I don't think our problems on and off the field will be solved by a man who said that his favourite chat up line was: 'Do you like jewellery? Well suck my cock because it's a gem!'

Well judging by comments here, some obviously think he has the maturity and intelligence to be our assistant.

Jesus wept...

Can only agree with you lads that his maturity and general lack of responsibility would count massively against him in my book. I think he would treat the players too much as friends, something I think Colin probably suffered with (in a different manner) and something I believe Carra would not struggle in creating that distance. With that distance comes a level of respect and authority that hopefully can develop into an expectancy or at least minimum standard level that the players fear to go below. At least that's how I see it.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #41: Jun 07, 2015 12:18:47 am
      Can only agree with you lads that his maturity and general lack of responsibility would count massively against him in my book. I think he would treat the players too much as friends, something I think Colin probably suffered with (in a different manner) and something I believe Carra would not struggle in creating that distance. With that distance comes a level of respect and authority that hopefully can develop into an expectancy or at least minimum standard level that the players fear to go below. At least that's how I see it.

It's a problem with the Spice Boy era in general, not just Robbie. Here were young lads who had grown up watching Liverpool FC as THE peerless club in Europe, just like Barca tonight, so playing for such a club in the 90s would have made anyone bold as brass. It's only after relative failure of that 90s team that ego with Liverpool players dropped considerably (something that Houllier quite rightly fixed by running a tight ship).

John Barnes said it himself, he was immensely frustrated by the prima donna attitudes of those players at that time, proving himself to be the last of the golden generation not just in ability but in personality too.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #42: Jun 07, 2015 12:20:07 am
      Looking through some of the journalists on twitter and it struck me - how the hell does that unkempt slob Boardman have a job?

An awful, awful journalist.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #43: Jun 07, 2015 02:10:54 am
      Look at Pako's CV, Rafa lost his way when he left - no brainer, get him in!

DoF - Jürgen Klinsman?
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2015 05:29:32 am by Beerbelly »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #44: Jun 07, 2015 11:37:38 am
      I'm of the opinion that we need a very strong personality in the dressing room where underperformers will be hauled up and smacked left and right and shipped out and that person is non other than Thommo whom has seen and done it all before and I'm sure he'll jump at the chance and Pako as the head coach.

At least with Thommo in I'll know that we'll concede fewers goals and Pako will make sure that things works out at the offensive end. Sounds like a good combo here.

I'm not a local lad but we need a local lad to hold the forth and it will have to be Thommo. As I have said, BR has simply ended up where he is now prematurely through non of his fault.

Time is running out and we are already 2 weeks into the close season and things needs to be sorted out fast.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #45: Jun 07, 2015 03:27:40 pm
      Carragher will never work with Brendan, he has character and will speak up.
      Doesn't matter. Whoever comes in will be our next manager, assuming Brendan's gone by Christmas.

Quick Reply