Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Danny Ings (Liverpool -> Southampton)

Read 121954 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Danny Ings Player Thread
      Reply #161: Jun 09, 2015 07:25:25 pm
      Best of luck at Liverpool Football Club.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #162: Jun 09, 2015 07:44:00 pm
      Starting to warm to it a little bit but not sure about the supporters being questioned for having an opinion on whether it's a good signing or not.

Is everybody expected to just come out and say he is definitely going to be a world beater even if they don't think that?

It will look like a good signing to me when I read

Sturridge
      *boss new striker*
      Ings
      Origi
      Balotelli (don't think he is going personally)

And not

Sturridge
      Borini
      Lambert
      Ings
      Balotelli
      Origi
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #163: Jun 09, 2015 09:01:34 pm

That's the key right there! ;D

I'd like someone like Aubameyang or Walcott - pacey, versatile and ready to make a significant impact.

Or maybe someone like Higuaín or even Tevez (though on a personal level I'm a bit sick of Carlitos :D)
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #164: Jun 09, 2015 09:19:58 pm
      How is Danny with red cards? anybody know?  Is he Sterling like or just average?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #165: Jun 09, 2015 09:29:02 pm
      Seems our horrendous support has got to him...

https://twitter.com/IngsDanny/status/608325616346267648
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #166: Jun 09, 2015 09:49:09 pm
      I know it's not fashionable to say this, and I'm in no way advocating we shouldn't sign a top striker because of it. But, if Danny Sturridge gets fit and stays fit (yes, I know) we ALREADY have a top striker at the club.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #167: Jun 09, 2015 09:50:23 pm

Seen it so many times, players putting out positive messages but only for them to fail. Still not excited and only take that with a pinch of salt. I still don't think our squad is that bad and with a striker up front, we'll have that much needed balance and focal point.

I just hope Rodgers gives him an opportunity as a #9 rather than playing him out of position and losing faith after 3-4 games, then stick a midfielder in attack and blame it on not having world class strikers :p
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #168: Jun 09, 2015 09:52:51 pm
      I know it's not fashionable to say this, and I'm in no way advocating we shouldn't sign a top striker because of it. But, if Danny Sturridge gets fit and stays fit (yes, I know) we ALREADY have a top striker at the club.

I agree but after that past season, I have no faith we can rely on Sturridge. When fit he is world class though.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #169: Jun 09, 2015 09:54:50 pm

One top striker isn't good enough in our league.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #170: Jun 09, 2015 10:02:31 pm
      One top striker isn't good enough in our league.

No mate I know and I'm not saying it is. At the moment in my eyes we have one "definate if fit but rarely is" (Sturridge), one I'm fairly confident will get there in time, time being 18-24 months (Ings), and one who could be anything including both brilliant and absolutely sh!t, with the strogest possibility short term being "hit and miss" at best (Origi). We then have three who aren't going to be the answer to any question I can think of other than "name a striker who isn't good enough for Liverpool", namely Borini, Lambert and Balotelli.

So yes we need another striker, and I would have thought it really needs to be a proven one. In no order of preference or desire, someone of the ilk of Tevez, Falcao, Hernandez, Benzema, Van Persie etc ought to be what we're looking at.

DISCLAIMER : I'm not saying we ought to sign ANY of those players, but someone of that ilk is needed. Add in Huntelaar, Mandzukic or whatever the f*ck his name is, Pedro, De Greizeman, all those kind of gadgies. 

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #171: Jun 09, 2015 10:04:36 pm
      So yes we need another striker, and I would have thought it really needs to be a proven one. In no order of preference or desire, someone of the ilk of Tevez, Falcao, Hernandez, Benzema, Van Persie etc ought to be what we're looking at.

So anybody who has played for United eh mate?

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #172: Jun 09, 2015 10:10:00 pm
      So anybody who has played for United eh mate?

Haha no Bill, it's just that not watching much European football I have trouble naming anyone other than the likes of Ibrhamovic, Benzema, Suarez, Messi etc. I don't have any set idea on who we actually should buy, just so long as it's somebody experienced and proven. For example I personally think this Vietto or whatever his name is isn't really the profile of the strikers we ought to be looking at, not now we're already getting in two inexperienced and unproven players (Origi and Ings). That said, from the clips the lad looks a fine player in the making to me, but if we were going to go for him we should have got him INSTEAD of Ings and not AS WELL AS IMHO. 

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #173: Jun 09, 2015 10:18:41 pm
      Haha no Bill, it's just that not watching much European football I have trouble naming anyone other than the likes of Ibrhamovic, Benzema, Suarez, Messi etc. I don't have any set idea on who we actually should buy, just so long as it's somebody experienced and proven. For example I personally think this Vietto or whatever his name is isn't really the profile of the strikers we ought to be looking at, not now we're already getting in two inexperienced and unproven players (Origi and Ings). That said, from the clips the lad looks a fine player in the making to me, but if we were going to go for him we should have got him INSTEAD of Ings and not AS WELL AS IMHO. 

Truth be told mate, you probably know more about European football than I do. So name away :laugh:

But, I think I'd rather go for a young unproven forward than one of these so called big names. Morientes, Keane, Balotelli all supposed proven quality and done F**k all. Sturidge, Suarez, Torres, relatively unproven turned out to be top quality forwards. And without sounding like a broken record, our best forwards in our glory days were unproven (or completely unheard of all together) before we turned them into world stars.

But I suppose for every unproven Luis Suarez, there's five unproven Iago Aspas, Fabio Borini, Florent Sinema-Pongolle, Sean Dundee and Erik Meijer.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #174: Jun 09, 2015 10:20:55 pm
      I doubt Rodgers is relying on Sturridge staying fit. He has said as much through Pearce on more than one occasion.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #175: Jun 09, 2015 10:59:19 pm
      I doubt Rodgers is relying on Sturridge staying fit. He has said as much through Pearce on more than one occasion.

He's back October/November? So I don't think we can expect a match fit Sturridge by December, and even then, there's a risk of him getting injured again :/

I think we need to offload 3 strikers before we get another, and I really can't see that happening, perhaps 2/3? So with that being, I have a feeling Ings will be our #9 for the season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #176: Jun 09, 2015 11:01:51 pm

I have a feeling Ings will be our #9 for the season.

Oh Dear...........

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #177: Jun 09, 2015 11:46:45 pm

Can just about let him off ;)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #178: Jun 10, 2015 12:46:44 am
      Welcome and good luck Danny lad.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #179: Jun 10, 2015 03:49:03 am
      This lad is 22 years old and is in the age group representative squads for England. He led the line on his own last season for a relegated team and got into double figures. So far in his career he has tended not to get injured, and he looks like the kind of bloke who runs his bollocks off for the shirt every single game. He didn't make it as a kid, was released by Southampton I think it was before he went to Bournemouth. From there he was out on loan to a non-league team for quite a while, and he even took a while to break through at Bournemouth when he came back. Went to Burnley and after a slow start was the championship player of the year last season, before stepping up this this season just gone. I get the impression this lad knows what it's like to clean his own boots, knows what it's like to go in the showers after the game and discover there's no hot water, knows what it's like to have the sh!t kicked out of him on a wet and freezing night in Rochdale. Is he a superstar? No, nor is he a "marquee" signing either. What he is is an old fashioned footballer, one who wants to better himself and by all accounts is a superhuman trainer who works on his game continually. We've had a couple of them at Liverpool before, from such unheralded clubs as Scunthorpe and the like, some of 'em didn't turn out half bad either.

A couple of other points. When we went in for him at Christmas the lad made it 100% clear that no matter what, he was staying at Burnley till the end of the season to try and help them stay up. It made not one iota of difference how much money he was offered or who offered it, he was going to see out his contract at Burnley. Sean Dyche mentioned many times how everyone at the club was full of admiration for his stance, and how his attitude and professionalism was first class. In these days of player revolt, I personally think it was a nice thing to hear. The other thing to compare and contrast is if Danny Ings was called Daniello Ingshasi and was being signed from Bologna as opposed to Burnley, how different would all our reactions be?

As I've said many times I'm a sucker for an underdog. Obviously we need a top striker or indeed any striker who bags us goals, but there's something within me that kind of hopes that whoever we get, Danny Ings is a huge success in whatever capacity we use him. Welcome to Liverpool Football club Danny, prove everyone wrong mate and smash it to pieces.

Was going to post but bigmick here said everything I was going to say and more.We still need to add a proven striker to our ranks,but this kid shows promise,and due to everything said in the quoted post,I want him,like Milner,to succeed here (not just automatically because they are now Liverpool players,mind you).Love me an underdog too,him and Milner are what I want a Liverpool squad to look and act like,let´s just hope we see the quality also required for the shirt.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #180: Jun 10, 2015 07:42:41 am

pretty confident, BR stopped using them all at the end of the season, so he lcearly does not want them, and he got backing of board, so logic says they will be gone.

But I see your point can we offload them all. ?

Balo is gonna be hardest to shift.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #181: Jun 10, 2015 07:43:26 am
      Was going to post but bigmick here said everything I was going to say and more.We still need to add a proven striker to our ranks,but this kid shows promise,and due to everything said in the quoted post,I want him,like Milner,to succeed here (not just automatically because they are now Liverpool players,mind you).Love me an underdog too,him and Milner are what I want a Liverpool squad to look and act like,let´s just hope we see the quality also required for the shirt.

Agreed as well. I have a good feeling about Ings, think he is going to surprise a lot of people.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #182: Jun 10, 2015 08:29:44 am
      I think he'll be a great addition to the squad.

Welcome to The Greatest Football Club on the Planet, Danny.

From what I've seen of him, he likes to get into the box (which one of us guys doesn't?  >:D) and that's what we have been missing....someone who busts their arse to get in there and finish off the work our mids have been doing.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #183: Jun 10, 2015 10:04:47 am

Balo is gonna be hardest to shift.

If we can shift him then I'd think it will end up being a loan

With us subsidising his wage

Quick Reply