Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Danny Ings (Liverpool -> Southampton)

Read 118096 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Danny Ings Player Thread
      Reply #23: Jun 08, 2015 11:04:17 am
      Danny Ings is an inspired signing for Liverpool - he can be better than Harry Kane

The England under-21 striker might not be as celebrated as his Tottenham counterpart, but he has the ability and character to thrive at Anfield.

Having witnessed Luis Suarez scoring the crucial goal in Barcelona’s Champions League final triumph against Juventus at the weekend, Liverpool supporters are more likely to be mourning the loss of a talisman this morning than celebrating the arrival of Danny Ings at Anfield.

One is a £75m superstar, the player who almost ended Liverpool’s 24-year wait for a league title last year; the other is an out-of-contract England under-21 forward who failed to score the goals to keep Burnley in the Premier League.

In such black and white terms, it is easy to suggest that Liverpool’s move for Ings offers further proof of the club’s inability attract and keep the best players -- Raheem Sterling, who was booed throughout England’s goalless draw with the Republic of Ireland in Dublin on Sunday is another example of a player who believe Liverpool can only take him so far.

But if you cut through the cynicism and judge the Ings signing on its merits, the reality is that Liverpool and Brendan Rodgers have made a smart move for a player whose qualities are likely to blossom at Anfield rather than drag the club down.
      Many good judges regard Ings as a certainty to play for England at senior level, some would even suggest that the 22-year-old is the best prospect of an emerging crop with also includes Harry Kane and Saido Berahino.
      The comparison with Berahino is a loose one, merely based on the two forwards developing with the under-21s at the same time: they are very different players.

That is less the case with Ings versus Kane. They are two classic centre-forwards who have come to the end of their first full season in the Premier League with their reputations enhanced, even if it is only Kane seeing his name up in lights.

The big positive for Liverpool, however, is that Ings will retain the surprise element next season, having largely gone under the radar with Burnley.And if he maintains the progress he has shown at Turf Moor over the past 12 months, Ings can use Anfield as the stage to surpass Kane and become the more celebrated of the two.

Kane enjoyed a magnificent campaign at Tottenham last season, scoring 31 goals in 51 appearances for Mauricio Pochettino’s team, as well one on his England debut against Lithuania in March.

The 21-year-old has a clear eye for goal, physical presence and aerial prowess, but as the season drew to a close, the goals began to dry up - he scored just twice in two months after his England debut -- with opponents learning how to shackle him.
      Ings scored 11 goals in 37 appearances for Burnley, a return completely overshadowed by Kane, but given he was playing for a team which found chances and goals incredibly hard to come by, such a contribution highlights his ability to make and take opportunities.
      The qualities which mark Ings out are his movement, pace, ability to hold the ball up as a link-man and two strong feet.
      He is an all-round centre-forward and, while Kane’s aerial ability is better, Ings appears to possess more components for success at the top level than his Tottenham counterpart.

How he handles the move to Liverpool will define his input on the pitch, however. With Daniel Sturridge due to miss the start of the season through injury and manager Rodgers showing little or no faith in Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert - both of whom may well be sold - Ings is likely to start the season in the team.

He could partner Divock Origi, the 20-year-old Belgian who will arrive from Lille this summer, but Ings’s greater Premier League experience is likely to give him the edge as Rodgers’s first option.

For many who have not seen Ings at close hand, eyes will be rolled at Liverpool’s move for him.
      But he is a player who can quickly become the answer to Liverpool’s goalscoring problems and while he will never be another Suarez, he will be better than many anticipate.
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11659052/Danny-Ings-is-an-inspired-signing-for-Liverpool-he-can-be-better-than-Harry-Kane.html
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #24: Jun 08, 2015 11:09:40 am
      Decent player but like everyone I hope it doesn't signal the height of our ambitions this summer.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #25: Jun 08, 2015 11:13:02 am
      Welcome to LFC Danny,  and good luck
       you are a true RED now
      YNWA
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #26: Jun 08, 2015 11:13:38 am
      F***ing gutted. This is the heights of our ambition, raiding relegated teams for big fish in small ponds. Where's our f**king scouts? It doesn't need a scout to shop at Burnley or Southampton, Scouts are meant to be combing the world for the unearthed gems. It's not his fault but for me he'll forever be the poster boy for why no manager will bring us success under this piss poor ownership model that simply fails to understand the value of big statements by signing big players. Tlad is not good enough to wear the shirt and is no step up on anyone we have at the club right now. FSG need to go before we end up cementing a mid table position.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #27: Jun 08, 2015 11:19:02 am
      I wish him all the best as he is now a Red.
      However I would be hypocritical if I said I was overjoyed with this signing.
      All his stats suggest he is a mid to bottom table player - will he propel us to challenge for Top 4?

Secondly with his tribunal fee of about £5-6M that probably 20% of our net transfer fee gone that could be put towards the top quality forward we are all cring out for.

Mid table player heading to a team with mid table ambitions.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,557 posts | 135 
      Reply #28: Jun 08, 2015 11:35:44 am
      He's an improvement on Balotelli, Borini and Lambert at least.

No he's not ! Borini did incredibly well for Sunderland, Lambert was good for Southampton, Balotelli was ok for Milan. Just because he did well Burnley doesn't mean he will do well here plus when his club needed him and were fighting for relegation, he hasn't scored for a 3 months nor had an assist so to be honest this signing is pointless because we should be strengthening our first XI not the bench.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #29: Jun 08, 2015 11:44:51 am
      Not an improvement to any of our strikers.

Another terrible signing.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but this is the truth.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Jun 08, 2015 11:47:04 am
      F***ing gutted. This is the heights of our ambition, raiding relegated teams for big fish in small ponds. Where's our f**king scouts? It doesn't need a scout to shop at Burnley or Southampton, Scouts are meant to be combing the world for the unearthed gems. It's not his fault but for me he'll forever be the poster boy for why no manager will bring us success under this piss poor ownership model that simply fails to understand the value of big statements by signing big players.
      I get what you are saying mate; I really do and agree with a lot of it but like you say; "It's not his fault". For that reason alone I'm more than happy to give the lad a chance and address any concerns about our ownership, their lack of commitment to the success of the football team and their transfer policy, in other threads.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #31: Jun 08, 2015 11:52:35 am
      He's a decent player and he looks like he will work his bollocks off for the team. He can finish too. I've always liked him and I'm glad we have him with us now.

Doesn't meanto say I'm not disappointed with a lack of ambition from us so far, but that's not BR or Ings' fault, that's FSG and the TC.

Welcome to the club Danny, hope you prove all your doubters wrong and have a "Harry Kane" kind of revelatory season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #32: Jun 08, 2015 12:01:40 pm
      As pessimistic as I usually am, I have a soft spot for our new players, regardless of whether they were names I personally preferred or not. Like getting a present at Christmas that you maybe didn't want, you are still getting a present.

I hope he does the shirt proud and I will give him support until he proves he doesn't deserve it.

The other thing I like is that we seem to be getting a tad more efficient in our signings. Identify and go sign. Much better than in the past. Hopefully it continues.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #33: Jun 08, 2015 12:19:52 pm
      No he's not ! Borini did incredibly well for Sunderland, Lambert was good for Southampton, Balotelli was ok for Milan. Just because he did well Burnley doesn't mean he will do well here plus when his club needed him and were fighting for relegation, he hasn't scored for a 3 months nor had an assist so to be honest this signing is pointless because we should be strengthening our first XI not the bench.

He is definitely an upgrade on Lambert in that he is far pacier and more mobile, and actually suits our style of play.

Borini and he I would say are similar in terms of ability -Borini has good movement and decent touch, as does Ings - but Ings is a bit quicker, a bit stronger and has a bit more aggresssion in his game. Also he will hopefully not have Borini's mental block on actually sticking the ball in the net for us.

He's not an upgrade on Balo, not in terms of ability certainly. ( Ideally I'd like us to give Balo another season, but finances might not permit.) But he seems to be a team player, which obviously is the big question mark about Mario.

Ings isn't the answer to all our goal scoring problems, but he is a better all round option as a squad player ( and possibly a long term first team prospect, although that is doubtful) than at least 2 of the guys we've got now.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #34: Jun 08, 2015 12:25:09 pm
      again, like the Milner transfer i am truely underwealmed.

however - wish him all the best and hope he does exceptionally well.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #35: Jun 08, 2015 12:43:12 pm
      I like this kid - I think he has something about him.

Whilst I'm still hoping for more established strikers to follow - I've no problem with this kid.

Welcome Danny lad.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #36: Jun 08, 2015 12:50:55 pm
      This lad is 22 years old and is in the age group representative squads for England. He led the line on his own last season for a relegated team and got into double figures. So far in his career he has tended not to get injured, and he looks like the kind of bloke who runs his bollocks off for the shirt every single game. He didn't make it as a kid, was released by Southampton I think it was before he went to Bournemouth. From there he was out on loan to a non-league team for quite a while, and he even took a while to break through at Bournemouth when he came back. Went to Burnley and after a slow start was the championship player of the year last season, before stepping up this this season just gone. I get the impression this lad knows what it's like to clean his own boots, knows what it's like to go in the showers after the game and discover there's no hot water, knows what it's like to have the sh!t kicked out of him on a wet and freezing night in Rochdale. Is he a superstar? No, nor is he a "marquee" signing either. What he is is an old fashioned footballer, one who wants to better himself and by all accounts is a superhuman trainer who works on his game continually. We've had a couple of them at Liverpool before, from such unheralded clubs as Scunthorpe and the like, some of 'em didn't turn out half bad either.

A couple of other points. When we went in for him at Christmas the lad made it 100% clear that no matter what, he was staying at Burnley till the end of the season to try and help them stay up. It made not one iota of difference how much money he was offered or who offered it, he was going to see out his contract at Burnley. Sean Dyche mentioned many times how everyone at the club was full of admiration for his stance, and how his attitude and professionalism was first class. In these days of player revolt, I personally think it was a nice thing to hear. The other thing to compare and contrast is if Danny Ings was called Daniello Ingshasi and was being signed from Bologna as opposed to Burnley, how different would all our reactions be?

As I've said many times I'm a sucker for an underdog. Obviously we need a top striker or indeed any striker who bags us goals, but there's something within me that kind of hopes that whoever we get, Danny Ings is a huge success in whatever capacity we use him. Welcome to Liverpool Football club Danny, prove everyone wrong mate and smash it to pieces.   

I'm personally not feeling the excitement, but hoping he comes and does well. He's a red now, one of us.

All the best..

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #37: Jun 08, 2015 12:52:39 pm
      Id rather give this lad a game than lambo, borini & balo.

Says it all really.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #38: Jun 08, 2015 12:54:58 pm
      As supporters we need to take a huge dose of reality, I don't mean accept mediocrity but an understanding of where we are. Now in our minds we feel as though we are and should be dining at the top table, but the reality is otherwise. The only way we are going to get that world class gem is by unearthing a relatively unknown with a hint of a gamble, such as Suarez.

Otherwise, we need to look at the club objectively, we can't offer a top player Champions league football, we don't have legendary / world class players in our squad anymore, we are probably on par with salaries, but obviously under city/mu/Chelsea's ( and above most European clubs ) and we don't have a recognised manager in terms of either playing career or trophies won. Therefore with these issues I'm not sure how anyone can think we will get players outside of the Ings & Milners. I know how we could fix much of this, but that's another thread.....(cough) Brendan.

My views on Ings is that he will be a decent squad player and will put in lots of effort, but before we go overboard we need to remember Borini had a decent season as did Lambert during the previous season and haven't exactly lit the side up. I'm hopeful, but not excited, but I like the fact he will work, has age on his side, evidently a good character and did well in a relegation side, which is a lot harder for a forward to do. Good luck to him, and welcome.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #39: Jun 08, 2015 12:55:58 pm
      Good midtable signing...This is new lfc way :)
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #40: Jun 08, 2015 01:03:45 pm
      love watching our fans write off players before theyve even kicked a ball.

must keep up this time honored tradition
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #41: Jun 08, 2015 01:25:02 pm
      Not an improvement to any of our strikers.

Another terrible signing.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but this is the truth.

This.

However, he deserves a chance to prove us wrong. I hope he gets a good run of games in his favoured position, his favoured position being a 9 from what I've seen. As mentioned, he's a player that works the channels and can play off the shoulder.

Anyway, good luck, hope he ends up scoring 20+ PL goals for us rather than going down the same route as our other strikers, not trusted/given a chance, played wrongly and being made the scapegoats for our season.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #42: Jun 08, 2015 01:33:36 pm
      This lad is 22 years old and is in the age group representative squads for England. He led the line on his own last season for a relegated team and got into double figures. So far in his career he has tended not to get injured, and he looks like the kind of bloke who runs his bollocks off for the shirt every single game. He didn't make it as a kid, was released by Southampton I think it was before he went to Bournemouth. From there he was out on loan to a non-league team for quite a while, and he even took a while to break through at Bournemouth when he came back. Went to Burnley and after a slow start was the championship player of the year last season, before stepping up this this season just gone. I get the impression this lad knows what it's like to clean his own boots, knows what it's like to go in the showers after the game and discover there's no hot water, knows what it's like to have the sh!t kicked out of him on a wet and freezing night in Rochdale. Is he a superstar? No, nor is he a "marquee" signing either. What he is is an old fashioned footballer, one who wants to better himself and by all accounts is a superhuman trainer who works on his game continually. We've had a couple of them at Liverpool before, from such unheralded clubs as Scunthorpe and the like, some of 'em didn't turn out half bad either.

A couple of other points. When we went in for him at Christmas the lad made it 100% clear that no matter what, he was staying at Burnley till the end of the season to try and help them stay up. It made not one iota of difference how much money he was offered or who offered it, he was going to see out his contract at Burnley. Sean Dyche mentioned many times how everyone at the club was full of admiration for his stance, and how his attitude and professionalism was first class. In these days of player revolt, I personally think it was a nice thing to hear. The other thing to compare and contrast is if Danny Ings was called Daniello Ingshasi and was being signed from Bologna as opposed to Burnley, how different would all our reactions be?

As I've said many times I'm a sucker for an underdog. Obviously we need a top striker or indeed any striker who bags us goals, but there's something within me that kind of hopes that whoever we get, Danny Ings is a huge success in whatever capacity we use him. Welcome to Liverpool Football club Danny, prove everyone wrong mate and smash it to pieces.   

Loving the positive slant Mick lad. I myself am a long way from being excited about this one but the lad deserves a chance to prove is worth.

Time to do a bit more in-depth scouting to see what we've got with him. He has a pretty decent game in this compilation. What comes through is a hard-working player, puts himself about, pretty decent with his back to goal, holds it up well and brings others in to play, can see a pass, not the most skilful but the ball seems to bounce his way though tenacity and sheer effort when he tries to beat players. He looks quite quick footed over short distances but not the paciest over longer distances. Looks like a grafter and a worker. The worry for me is that much of what I see from Ings you can see ditto for Borini in a Sunderland shirt, but life in a Liverpool shirt is very different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4jIE59yq0A

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43: Jun 08, 2015 01:34:54 pm
      Nobodys asking anyone to dash off and crack one off over signing a young unproven player. But theres no need for some of the negative crap spouted before hes even posed for a photo in the shirt.

Best of luck to the lad
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #44: Jun 08, 2015 01:42:13 pm
      Looks quicker in this compilation vs united this season. Shows a few nice turns, works the channels well. In fact, he plays like a classic English centre-forward. If you are a team that likes to find strikers feet early, have him hold it up, pop the ball wide and then spin off he is perfect. My worry would be that we do not really play that way. Our game hasn't suited Lambert, if didn't suit Balottelli, it won't suit Benteke. Is it going to suit Ings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36iEiAQgdQ

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #45: Jun 08, 2015 01:49:28 pm
      Looks quicker in this compilation vs united this season. Shows a few nice turns, works the channels well. In fact, he plays like a classic English centre-forward. If you are a team that likes to find strikers feet early, have him hold it up, pop the ball wide and then spin off he is perfect. My worry would be that we do not really play that way. Our game hasn't suited Lambert, if didn't suit Balottelli, it won't suit Benteke. Is it going to suit Ings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36iEiAQgdQ

We don't really know how we're going to play though yet mate. 

Quick Reply