Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 20th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W19 D2 L8

Danny Ings (Liverpool -> Southampton)

Read 53595 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,536 posts | 3140 
      • Better Red Than Dead @KaiserQueef
      Re: Danny Ings Player Thread
      Reply #30: Jun 08, 2015 11:47:04 am
      F***ing gutted. This is the heights of our ambition, raiding relegated teams for big fish in small ponds. Where's our f**king scouts? It doesn't need a scout to shop at Burnley or Southampton, Scouts are meant to be combing the world for the unearthed gems. It's not his fault but for me he'll forever be the poster boy for why no manager will bring us success under this piss poor ownership model that simply fails to understand the value of big statements by signing big players.
      I get what you are saying mate; I really do and agree with a lot of it but like you say; "It's not his fault". For that reason alone I'm more than happy to give the lad a chance and address any concerns about our ownership, their lack of commitment to the success of the football team and their transfer policy, in other threads.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,361 posts | 203 
      Reply #31: Jun 08, 2015 11:52:35 am
      He's a decent player and he looks like he will work his bollocks off for the team. He can finish too. I've always liked him and I'm glad we have him with us now.

Doesn't meanto say I'm not disappointed with a lack of ambition from us so far, but that's not BR or Ings' fault, that's FSG and the TC.

Welcome to the club Danny, hope you prove all your doubters wrong and have a "Harry Kane" kind of revelatory season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,414 posts | 3255 
      Reply #32: Jun 08, 2015 12:01:40 pm
      As pessimistic as I usually am, I have a soft spot for our new players, regardless of whether they were names I personally preferred or not. Like getting a present at Christmas that you maybe didn't want, you are still getting a present.

I hope he does the shirt proud and I will give him support until he proves he doesn't deserve it.

The other thing I like is that we seem to be getting a tad more efficient in our signings. Identify and go sign. Much better than in the past. Hopefully it continues.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,100 posts | 206 
      Reply #33: Jun 08, 2015 12:19:52 pm
      No he's not ! Borini did incredibly well for Sunderland, Lambert was good for Southampton, Balotelli was ok for Milan. Just because he did well Burnley doesn't mean he will do well here plus when his club needed him and were fighting for relegation, he hasn't scored for a 3 months nor had an assist so to be honest this signing is pointless because we should be strengthening our first XI not the bench.

He is definitely an upgrade on Lambert in that he is far pacier and more mobile, and actually suits our style of play.

Borini and he I would say are similar in terms of ability -Borini has good movement and decent touch, as does Ings - but Ings is a bit quicker, a bit stronger and has a bit more aggresssion in his game. Also he will hopefully not have Borini's mental block on actually sticking the ball in the net for us.

He's not an upgrade on Balo, not in terms of ability certainly. ( Ideally I'd like us to give Balo another season, but finances might not permit.) But he seems to be a team player, which obviously is the big question mark about Mario.

Ings isn't the answer to all our goal scoring problems, but he is a better all round option as a squad player ( and possibly a long term first team prospect, although that is doubtful) than at least 2 of the guys we've got now.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,125 posts | 137 
      Reply #34: Jun 08, 2015 12:25:09 pm
      again, like the Milner transfer i am truely underwealmed.

however - wish him all the best and hope he does exceptionally well.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,172 posts | 2285 
      Reply #35: Jun 08, 2015 12:43:12 pm
      I like this kid - I think he has something about him.

Whilst I'm still hoping for more established strikers to follow - I've no problem with this kid.

Welcome Danny lad.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,302 posts | 248 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #36: Jun 08, 2015 12:50:55 pm
      This lad is 22 years old and is in the age group representative squads for England. He led the line on his own last season for a relegated team and got into double figures. So far in his career he has tended not to get injured, and he looks like the kind of bloke who runs his bollocks off for the shirt every single game. He didn't make it as a kid, was released by Southampton I think it was before he went to Bournemouth. From there he was out on loan to a non-league team for quite a while, and he even took a while to break through at Bournemouth when he came back. Went to Burnley and after a slow start was the championship player of the year last season, before stepping up this this season just gone. I get the impression this lad knows what it's like to clean his own boots, knows what it's like to go in the showers after the game and discover there's no hot water, knows what it's like to have the sh!t kicked out of him on a wet and freezing night in Rochdale. Is he a superstar? No, nor is he a "marquee" signing either. What he is is an old fashioned footballer, one who wants to better himself and by all accounts is a superhuman trainer who works on his game continually. We've had a couple of them at Liverpool before, from such unheralded clubs as Scunthorpe and the like, some of 'em didn't turn out half bad either.

A couple of other points. When we went in for him at Christmas the lad made it 100% clear that no matter what, he was staying at Burnley till the end of the season to try and help them stay up. It made not one iota of difference how much money he was offered or who offered it, he was going to see out his contract at Burnley. Sean Dyche mentioned many times how everyone at the club was full of admiration for his stance, and how his attitude and professionalism was first class. In these days of player revolt, I personally think it was a nice thing to hear. The other thing to compare and contrast is if Danny Ings was called Daniello Ingshasi and was being signed from Bologna as opposed to Burnley, how different would all our reactions be?

As I've said many times I'm a sucker for an underdog. Obviously we need a top striker or indeed any striker who bags us goals, but there's something within me that kind of hopes that whoever we get, Danny Ings is a huge success in whatever capacity we use him. Welcome to Liverpool Football club Danny, prove everyone wrong mate and smash it to pieces.   

I'm personally not feeling the excitement, but hoping he comes and does well. He's a red now, one of us.

All the best..

brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,667 posts | 167 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #37: Jun 08, 2015 12:52:39 pm
      Id rather give this lad a game than lambo, borini & balo.

Says it all really.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #38: Jun 08, 2015 12:54:58 pm
      As supporters we need to take a huge dose of reality, I don't mean accept mediocrity but an understanding of where we are. Now in our minds we feel as though we are and should be dining at the top table, but the reality is otherwise. The only way we are going to get that world class gem is by unearthing a relatively unknown with a hint of a gamble, such as Suarez.

Otherwise, we need to look at the club objectively, we can't offer a top player Champions league football, we don't have legendary / world class players in our squad anymore, we are probably on par with salaries, but obviously under city/mu/Chelsea's ( and above most European clubs ) and we don't have a recognised manager in terms of either playing career or trophies won. Therefore with these issues I'm not sure how anyone can think we will get players outside of the Ings & Milners. I know how we could fix much of this, but that's another thread.....(cough) Brendan.

My views on Ings is that he will be a decent squad player and will put in lots of effort, but before we go overboard we need to remember Borini had a decent season as did Lambert during the previous season and haven't exactly lit the side up. I'm hopeful, but not excited, but I like the fact he will work, has age on his side, evidently a good character and did well in a relegation side, which is a lot harder for a forward to do. Good luck to him, and welcome.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,771 posts | 91 
      Reply #39: Jun 08, 2015 12:55:58 pm
      Good midtable signing...This is new lfc way :)
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,559 posts | 284 
      Reply #40: Jun 08, 2015 01:03:45 pm
      love watching our fans write off players before theyve even kicked a ball.

must keep up this time honored tradition
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,539 posts | 1651 
      Reply #41: Jun 08, 2015 01:25:02 pm
      Not an improvement to any of our strikers.

Another terrible signing.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but this is the truth.

This.

However, he deserves a chance to prove us wrong. I hope he gets a good run of games in his favoured position, his favoured position being a 9 from what I've seen. As mentioned, he's a player that works the channels and can play off the shoulder.

Anyway, good luck, hope he ends up scoring 20+ PL goals for us rather than going down the same route as our other strikers, not trusted/given a chance, played wrongly and being made the scapegoats for our season.
      Scottbot

• 7,310 posts | 1169 
      Reply #42: Jun 08, 2015 01:33:36 pm
      This lad is 22 years old and is in the age group representative squads for England. He led the line on his own last season for a relegated team and got into double figures. So far in his career he has tended not to get injured, and he looks like the kind of bloke who runs his bollocks off for the shirt every single game. He didn't make it as a kid, was released by Southampton I think it was before he went to Bournemouth. From there he was out on loan to a non-league team for quite a while, and he even took a while to break through at Bournemouth when he came back. Went to Burnley and after a slow start was the championship player of the year last season, before stepping up this this season just gone. I get the impression this lad knows what it's like to clean his own boots, knows what it's like to go in the showers after the game and discover there's no hot water, knows what it's like to have the sh!t kicked out of him on a wet and freezing night in Rochdale. Is he a superstar? No, nor is he a "marquee" signing either. What he is is an old fashioned footballer, one who wants to better himself and by all accounts is a superhuman trainer who works on his game continually. We've had a couple of them at Liverpool before, from such unheralded clubs as Scunthorpe and the like, some of 'em didn't turn out half bad either.

A couple of other points. When we went in for him at Christmas the lad made it 100% clear that no matter what, he was staying at Burnley till the end of the season to try and help them stay up. It made not one iota of difference how much money he was offered or who offered it, he was going to see out his contract at Burnley. Sean Dyche mentioned many times how everyone at the club was full of admiration for his stance, and how his attitude and professionalism was first class. In these days of player revolt, I personally think it was a nice thing to hear. The other thing to compare and contrast is if Danny Ings was called Daniello Ingshasi and was being signed from Bologna as opposed to Burnley, how different would all our reactions be?

As I've said many times I'm a sucker for an underdog. Obviously we need a top striker or indeed any striker who bags us goals, but there's something within me that kind of hopes that whoever we get, Danny Ings is a huge success in whatever capacity we use him. Welcome to Liverpool Football club Danny, prove everyone wrong mate and smash it to pieces.   

Loving the positive slant Mick lad. I myself am a long way from being excited about this one but the lad deserves a chance to prove is worth.

Time to do a bit more in-depth scouting to see what we've got with him. He has a pretty decent game in this compilation. What comes through is a hard-working player, puts himself about, pretty decent with his back to goal, holds it up well and brings others in to play, can see a pass, not the most skilful but the ball seems to bounce his way though tenacity and sheer effort when he tries to beat players. He looks quite quick footed over short distances but not the paciest over longer distances. Looks like a grafter and a worker. The worry for me is that much of what I see from Ings you can see ditto for Borini in a Sunderland shirt, but life in a Liverpool shirt is very different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4jIE59yq0A

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,633 posts | 1118 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43: Jun 08, 2015 01:34:54 pm
      Nobodys asking anyone to dash off and crack one off over signing a young unproven player. But theres no need for some of the negative crap spouted before hes even posed for a photo in the shirt.

Best of luck to the lad
      Scottbot

• 7,310 posts | 1169 
      Reply #44: Jun 08, 2015 01:42:13 pm
      Looks quicker in this compilation vs united this season. Shows a few nice turns, works the channels well. In fact, he plays like a classic English centre-forward. If you are a team that likes to find strikers feet early, have him hold it up, pop the ball wide and then spin off he is perfect. My worry would be that we do not really play that way. Our game hasn't suited Lambert, if didn't suit Balottelli, it won't suit Benteke. Is it going to suit Ings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36iEiAQgdQ

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,935 posts | 2209 
      Reply #45: Jun 08, 2015 01:49:28 pm
      Looks quicker in this compilation vs united this season. Shows a few nice turns, works the channels well. In fact, he plays like a classic English centre-forward. If you are a team that likes to find strikers feet early, have him hold it up, pop the ball wide and then spin off he is perfect. My worry would be that we do not really play that way. Our game hasn't suited Lambert, if didn't suit Balottelli, it won't suit Benteke. Is it going to suit Ings?

We don't really know how we're going to play though yet mate. 
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,100 posts | 206 
      Reply #46: Jun 08, 2015 01:57:14 pm
      Nobodys asking anyone to dash off and crack one off over signing a young unproven player. But theres no need for some of the negative crap spouted before hes even posed for a photo in the shirt.

Best of luck to the lad

True.
      Plus I like the idea of celebrating the signing of a player by having a w*nk .

Busy summer last year was it Brian?  ;D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2766 
      Reply #47: Jun 08, 2015 02:13:35 pm
      I gotta say anyone who thinks this lad is sh!t should watch those two videos that Scott has put up. They're hardly against poor teams, and in both games the defences he's playing against will have come off knowing they've been in a right old game. He absolutely works his socks off does this lad, and UNLIKE BORINI (for those who are saying he's just the same/not as good) he's as strong as a bull and holds it up really well. The number of times he wins headers and tackles then is straight back on his bike is unreal, and he's a far better footballer than I realised too. he scored a cracking header against Man Utd and ought to have had a second, while his play against Man City was excellent (Check out the video at 6 minutes in for a top piece of play).

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that had we had this lad last season he would have been our first choice striker in the absence of Sturridge, and we'd have got more points than we did if we'd bought him a year ago. As a few other lads have said, FSG ain't the fault of Danny Ings and we shouldn't vent our ire over the player. I've now got a really good feeling about this lad, remember he's only 22 years old, he might just make a player you know.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,667 posts | 167 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #48: Jun 08, 2015 02:16:46 pm
      I gotta say anyone who thinks this lad is sh!t should watch those two videos that Scott has put up. They're hardly against poor teams, and in both games the defences he's playing against will have come off knowing they've been in a right old game. He absolutely works his socks off does this lad, and UNLIKE BORINI (for those who are saying he's just the same/not as good) he's as strong as a bull and holds it up really well. The number of times he wins headers and tackles then is straight back on his bike is unreal, and he's a far better footballer than I realised too. he scored a cracking header against Man Utd and ought to have had a second, while his play against Man City was excellent (Check out the video at 6 minutes in for a top piece of play).

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that had we had this lad last season he would have been our first choice striker in the absence of Sturridge, and we'd have got more points than we did if we'd bought him a year ago. As a few other lads have said, FSG ain't the fault of Danny Ings and we shouldn't vent our ire over the player. I've now got a really good feeling about this lad, remember he's only 22 years old, he might just make a player you know.

well said Mick
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,020 posts | 2064 
      Reply #49: Jun 08, 2015 02:19:51 pm

I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again: this lad will surprise a few people.
      He's not coming here just to make up the numbers, and will be a very good addition.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,162 posts | 1351 
      Reply #50: Jun 08, 2015 02:20:45 pm

Going off that video, I don't see him being somebody who leads the line on his own as a number 9. He'd need somebody up there who stays in position as he moves around quite a lot.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,683 posts | 2285 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #51: Jun 08, 2015 02:21:22 pm
      I quite liked what I've seen of him and surely feel a lot more confident with him as an option to our attack than without him. On a free (not exactly free, I know, but considerably cheaper than an English striker would normally cost), low-risk type of signing, I don't think there's much to lose here - big upside however if he does prove capable of making the step up to a bigger club.

I know some will cringe at the words "low risk" but the fact we need some major upgrades upfront (and we do need, I think all agree) doesn't mean we shouldn't also be looking for this type of signing right here. Our transfers strategy as a whole is a different matter, and I'm afraid we'll only be able to judge it precisely come the end of August.

Anyway - welcome to Liverpool FC, Danny! Do us proud.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2766 
      Reply #52: Jun 08, 2015 02:28:21 pm
      Also, a quickie for those who say he "won't suit our style of play". You know who he instantly reminded me of in terms of his workrate, desire, willingness to fight for the ball and willingness to run in behing/down the channels? Luis Suarez. I haven't seen a striker with this much energy and mobility since the great man. He is nowhere near Luis Suarez of course, but many of the positions Suarez picked the ball up in Ings does too. If he can find his game, of course he'll suit our style.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,562 posts | 1966 
      Reply #53: Jun 08, 2015 02:29:57 pm
      Also, a quickie for those who say he "won't suit our style of play". You know who he instantly reminded me of in terms of his workrate, desire, willingness to fight for the ball and willingness to run in behing/down the channels? Luis Suarez. I haven't seen a striker with this much energy and mobility since the great man. He is nowhere near Luis Suarez of course, but many of the positions Suarez picked the ball up in Ings does too. If he can find his game, of course he'll suit our style.

I see your point Mick and I could see him fitting in our front three.
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,457 posts | 337 
      Reply #54: Jun 08, 2015 02:38:19 pm
      Some complaining about how much we have to pay? WTF. If he can bang in another 11 goals next season for us like he did for Burnley he will do for me. Remember this is early days in the transfer market so we haven't finished yet. Welcome Danny, grab your chance now it's here lad!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,935 posts | 2209 
      Reply #55: Jun 08, 2015 02:59:53 pm

I think he'll surprise a few too Mick. 
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,473 posts | 932 
      Reply #56: Jun 08, 2015 03:07:20 pm
      No he's not ! Borini did incredibly well for Sunderland, Lambert was good for Southampton, Balotelli was ok for Milan. Just because he did well Burnley doesn't mean he will do well here plus when his club needed him and were fighting for relegation, he hasn't scored for a 3 months nor had an assist so to be honest this signing is pointless because we should be strengthening our first XI not the bench.

Furthermore we need first teamers, not more squad players. We need two strikers that will walk straight in to the first team and bang 20+ goals a season, players that will strike fear in to the hearts of opposing team's defenders, not someone who got less goals than one of our midfielders last season. This signing has me more furious at the club than at any time since the height of Hodge days.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,935 posts | 2209 
      Reply #57: Jun 08, 2015 03:11:47 pm
      Furthermore we need first teamers, not more squad players. We need two strikers that will walk straight in to the first team and bang 20+ goals a season, players that will strike fear in to the hearts of opposing team's defenders, not someone who got less goals than one of our midfielders last season. This signing has me more furious at the club than at any time since the height of Hodge days.

So fume in the Owners thread mate not in the Danny Ings Player Thread.  It's hardly his fault that you don't believe he's good enough to bang in 20+ goals a season.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #58: Jun 08, 2015 03:11:57 pm
      Poor lad is gonna sell zero jerseys. Hopefully proves us all wrong. Right now we have 6 strikers and not one is good enough on their own. We also have a manager who favours playing a lone striker.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,565 posts | 1282 
      Reply #59: Jun 08, 2015 03:43:12 pm
      I saw that Ings signed and tried to cheer myself up by thinking he could be the next Fowler, so I looked into Fowlers stats at his age and he already scored over 100 goals in over 200 games by the time he was 22. Optimism gone. I just hope he will be better the bad strikers we got.

Quick Reply