Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Danny Ings (Liverpool -> Southampton)

Read 118076 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Re: Danny Ings Player Thread
      Reply #46: Jun 08, 2015 01:57:14 pm
      Nobodys asking anyone to dash off and crack one off over signing a young unproven player. But theres no need for some of the negative crap spouted before hes even posed for a photo in the shirt.

Best of luck to the lad

True.
      Plus I like the idea of celebrating the signing of a player by having a w*nk .

Busy summer last year was it Brian?  ;D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #47: Jun 08, 2015 02:13:35 pm
      I gotta say anyone who thinks this lad is sh!t should watch those two videos that Scott has put up. They're hardly against poor teams, and in both games the defences he's playing against will have come off knowing they've been in a right old game. He absolutely works his socks off does this lad, and UNLIKE BORINI (for those who are saying he's just the same/not as good) he's as strong as a bull and holds it up really well. The number of times he wins headers and tackles then is straight back on his bike is unreal, and he's a far better footballer than I realised too. he scored a cracking header against Man Utd and ought to have had a second, while his play against Man City was excellent (Check out the video at 6 minutes in for a top piece of play).

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that had we had this lad last season he would have been our first choice striker in the absence of Sturridge, and we'd have got more points than we did if we'd bought him a year ago. As a few other lads have said, FSG ain't the fault of Danny Ings and we shouldn't vent our ire over the player. I've now got a really good feeling about this lad, remember he's only 22 years old, he might just make a player you know.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #48: Jun 08, 2015 02:16:46 pm
      I gotta say anyone who thinks this lad is sh!t should watch those two videos that Scott has put up. They're hardly against poor teams, and in both games the defences he's playing against will have come off knowing they've been in a right old game. He absolutely works his socks off does this lad, and UNLIKE BORINI (for those who are saying he's just the same/not as good) he's as strong as a bull and holds it up really well. The number of times he wins headers and tackles then is straight back on his bike is unreal, and he's a far better footballer than I realised too. he scored a cracking header against Man Utd and ought to have had a second, while his play against Man City was excellent (Check out the video at 6 minutes in for a top piece of play).

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that had we had this lad last season he would have been our first choice striker in the absence of Sturridge, and we'd have got more points than we did if we'd bought him a year ago. As a few other lads have said, FSG ain't the fault of Danny Ings and we shouldn't vent our ire over the player. I've now got a really good feeling about this lad, remember he's only 22 years old, he might just make a player you know.

well said Mick
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #49: Jun 08, 2015 02:19:51 pm

I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again: this lad will surprise a few people.
      He's not coming here just to make up the numbers, and will be a very good addition.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Jun 08, 2015 02:20:45 pm
      Looks quicker in this compilation vs united this season. Shows a few nice turns, works the channels well. In fact, he plays like a classic English centre-forward. If you are a team that likes to find strikers feet early, have him hold it up, pop the ball wide and then spin off he is perfect. My worry would be that we do not really play that way. Our game hasn't suited Lambert, if didn't suit Balottelli, it won't suit Benteke. Is it going to suit Ings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36iEiAQgdQ

Going off that video, I don't see him being somebody who leads the line on his own as a number 9. He'd need somebody up there who stays in position as he moves around quite a lot.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #51: Jun 08, 2015 02:21:22 pm
      I quite liked what I've seen of him and surely feel a lot more confident with him as an option to our attack than without him. On a free (not exactly free, I know, but considerably cheaper than an English striker would normally cost), low-risk type of signing, I don't think there's much to lose here - big upside however if he does prove capable of making the step up to a bigger club.

I know some will cringe at the words "low risk" but the fact we need some major upgrades upfront (and we do need, I think all agree) doesn't mean we shouldn't also be looking for this type of signing right here. Our transfers strategy as a whole is a different matter, and I'm afraid we'll only be able to judge it precisely come the end of August.

Anyway - welcome to Liverpool FC, Danny! Do us proud.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #52: Jun 08, 2015 02:28:21 pm
      Also, a quickie for those who say he "won't suit our style of play". You know who he instantly reminded me of in terms of his workrate, desire, willingness to fight for the ball and willingness to run in behing/down the channels? Luis Suarez. I haven't seen a striker with this much energy and mobility since the great man. He is nowhere near Luis Suarez of course, but many of the positions Suarez picked the ball up in Ings does too. If he can find his game, of course he'll suit our style.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #53: Jun 08, 2015 02:29:57 pm
      Also, a quickie for those who say he "won't suit our style of play". You know who he instantly reminded me of in terms of his workrate, desire, willingness to fight for the ball and willingness to run in behing/down the channels? Luis Suarez. I haven't seen a striker with this much energy and mobility since the great man. He is nowhere near Luis Suarez of course, but many of the positions Suarez picked the ball up in Ings does too. If he can find his game, of course he'll suit our style.

I see your point Mick and I could see him fitting in our front three.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #54: Jun 08, 2015 02:59:53 pm

I think he'll surprise a few too Mick. 
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #55: Jun 08, 2015 03:07:20 pm
      No he's not ! Borini did incredibly well for Sunderland, Lambert was good for Southampton, Balotelli was ok for Milan. Just because he did well Burnley doesn't mean he will do well here plus when his club needed him and were fighting for relegation, he hasn't scored for a 3 months nor had an assist so to be honest this signing is pointless because we should be strengthening our first XI not the bench.

Furthermore we need first teamers, not more squad players. We need two strikers that will walk straight in to the first team and bang 20+ goals a season, players that will strike fear in to the hearts of opposing team's defenders, not someone who got less goals than one of our midfielders last season. This signing has me more furious at the club than at any time since the height of Hodge days.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #56: Jun 08, 2015 03:11:47 pm
      Furthermore we need first teamers, not more squad players. We need two strikers that will walk straight in to the first team and bang 20+ goals a season, players that will strike fear in to the hearts of opposing team's defenders, not someone who got less goals than one of our midfielders last season. This signing has me more furious at the club than at any time since the height of Hodge days.

So fume in the Owners thread mate not in the Danny Ings Player Thread.  It's hardly his fault that you don't believe he's good enough to bang in 20+ goals a season.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #57: Jun 08, 2015 03:11:57 pm
      Poor lad is gonna sell zero jerseys. Hopefully proves us all wrong. Right now we have 6 strikers and not one is good enough on their own. We also have a manager who favours playing a lone striker.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #58: Jun 08, 2015 03:43:12 pm
      I saw that Ings signed and tried to cheer myself up by thinking he could be the next Fowler, so I looked into Fowlers stats at his age and he already scored over 100 goals in over 200 games by the time he was 22. Optimism gone. I just hope he will be better the bad strikers we got.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #59: Jun 08, 2015 03:45:56 pm
      I saw that Ings signed and tried to cheer myself up by thinking he could be the next Fowler, so I looked into Fowlers stats at his age and he already scored over 100 goals in over 200 games by the time he was 22. Optimism gone. I just hope he will be better the bad strikers we got.

Thats not how life or football really works tho does it?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #60: Jun 08, 2015 03:48:12 pm
      Thats not how life or football really works tho does it?
      Not really sure what you mean? I know I meant. I doubt Ings will become a club legend but he can be useful providing we replace more strikers and not just sign Ings.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #61: Jun 08, 2015 03:55:49 pm
      Looks quicker in this compilation vs united this season. Shows a few nice turns, works the channels well. In fact, he plays like a classic English centre-forward. If you are a team that likes to find strikers feet early, have him hold it up, pop the ball wide and then spin off he is perfect. My worry would be that we do not really play that way. Our game hasn't suited Lambert, if didn't suit Balottelli, it won't suit Benteke. Is it going to suit Ings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36iEiAQgdQ

I dont think hes a classic CF at all. I see him as very direct. Works the channels and is kinda like a young Bellamy who i wouldnt describe as a Classic English Centre Forward. 
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #62: Jun 08, 2015 03:57:55 pm
      We don't really know how we're going to play though yet mate. 

I think we have to try to play the way we did through the 2nd half of Brendan's first season and into his 2nd. I think that anytime we have tried to play differently it hasn't really worked ie. if we've tried to play on the counter, sit deep, play with a target man, look to get it wide and launch crosses etc. I'm hoping we are all about quick movement & interplay, playing through the thirds, bossing possession, playing at a high tempo,  playing a high line and squeezing possession. I think that if Danny Ings can fit into that style then great. I personally believe we need a more skilful number 9 at the club, considerably more so but the tape on thoses two games vs City and the mancs isn't a bad advert for the player and has caused me to re-evaluate my original stance on Ings (which was not very positive)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #63: Jun 08, 2015 03:58:03 pm
      Wow, this transfer fills me with optimism for us to sustain our current level of mediocrity.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #64: Jun 08, 2015 04:01:07 pm
      I dont think hes a classic CF at all. I see him as very direct. Works the channels and is kinda like a young Bellamy who i wouldnt describe as a Classic English Centre Forward. 

I guess its a matter of opinion, I would class a player who works the channels as part of the classic 'English' style. I can see what you mean about Bellamy but he was a faster more skilful player than Ings and was always a bit of a tweener ie. he was often played as a wide man in a 3, particularly during his time at City and the year he spent at LFC in his first stint under Rafa.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #65: Jun 08, 2015 04:01:13 pm
      While I've not been sold on Ings from what I've seen of him at Burnley, I'm more than willing to give him a fair shake, especially considering he hasn't kicked a ball for us yet.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #66: Jun 08, 2015 04:06:33 pm
      I think we have to try to play the way we did through the 2nd half of Brendan's first season and into his 2nd. I think that anytime we have tried to play differently it hasn't really worked ie. if we've tried to play on the counter, sit deep, play with a target man, look to get it wide and launch crosses etc. I'm hoping we are all about quick movement & interplay, playing through the thirds, bossing possession, playing at a high tempo,  playing a high line and squeezing possession. I think that if Danny Ings can fit into that style then great. I personally believe we need a more skilful number 9 at the club, considerably more so but the tape on thoses two games vs City and the mancs isn't a bad advert for the player and has caused me to re-evaluate my original stance on Ings (which was not very positive)

I agree mate but all the indicaters are that we won't be playing like that.  The positives for me is that Ings fits both ways  ;)
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #67: Jun 08, 2015 04:08:14 pm

I've checked and apparently his stats aren't as good as Pele's either, what a downer.

( Actualy Ings stats arent bad - 58 goals in 158 games according to wikipedia.
      26 in 45 games season before last suggests he has the potential to chip in with a few if he gets the chances.)
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #68: Jun 08, 2015 04:16:28 pm
      I'd lie if I was saying I was overjoyed at this signing, but I'll take it.

By all accounts, he's a great guy off the field and does a hell of a lot for charity, even setting up his own local one in Burnley. I have no doubt he'll put in the effort for us and bust a gut. Surely he cannot be worse than Balotelli, Borini and Lambert?

Borini was alright at a Sunderland team that is better than Burnley, but wasn't amazing let's face it. He barely scored in open play I think? And he has never once looked like a player who can adapt to the Premier League. He's had his chance that so many were willing to give him (me included), and he has failed spectacularly. Lambert? Lacked the pace that our setup relies on and there was no way he could get into a rhythm with barely any playing time. I'd have liked to see what he could have done with a bit more playing time. Balotelli - again, most his goals at Milan were from set pieces, and the less said about his attitude the better.

I'd like to think that Ings, with his pace over the others and being a native of the English game, helps him adapt to us more readily than the others.

I don't expect fireworks, but as ever with a player who I know will try his hardest, I'll certainly be shouting him on.

Quick Reply