Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

2015 Ashes

Read 53300 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: 2015 Ashes
      Reply #345: Aug 07, 2015 12:44:23 pm
      Yeah a bit of that, for sure. Also just not having a plan - they're just running in and thinking on their feet.

I'd love to know what the bowling coaches are doing.

It seemed to me that they had a plan to attack the openers, particularly Cook, but then things became a bit vague after that, as if they thought "if we get the skipper, we can just mop up the rest".
      Of course this is a huge over-simplification, and the question remains about why they don't seem to have a plan for Root, Englands best batsman at the moment.

They've got the swing and movement wrong on 2 counts: the first is the bowlers being unable to control it very well (as previously mentioned) but also a complete lack of knowledge about how to bat in these conditions. Going hard at the ball is bound to fail when the ball is swinging and seaming. Root has been the perfect example of playing the ball late.

The groundstaff have played a blinder in preparing swinging, seaming pitches that have completely flummoxed Aussie batsmen and bowlers.

I can't envisage McGrath, for instance, being unable to master the conditions, but he really was a thinking bowler.

Perhaps the most damning indictment is that the Aussies had pretty good prep, knew about swing and seam, and yet seemed totally unprepared for it.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #346: Aug 07, 2015 12:48:16 pm
      It seemed to me that they had a plan to attack the openers, particularly Cook, but then things became a bit vague after that, as if they thought "if we get the skipper, we can just mop up the rest".
      Of course this is a huge over-simplification, and the question remains about why they don't seem to have a plan for Root, Englands best batsman at the moment.

They've got the swing and movement wrong on 2 counts: the first is the bowlers being unable to control it very well (as previously mentioned) but also a complete lack of knowledge about how to bat in these conditions. Going hard at the ball is bound to fail when the ball is swinging and seaming. Root has been the perfect example of playing the ball late.

The groundstaff have played a blinder in preparing swinging, seaming pitches that have completely flummoxed Aussie batsmen and bowlers.

I can't envisage McGrath, for instance, being unable to master the conditions, but he really was a thinking bowler.

Perhaps the most damning indictment is that the Aussies had pretty good prep, knew about swing and seam, and yet seemed totally unprepared for it.

starc has played county cricket, Johnson is in his third tour  and lehmann played here for years. Btw why declare ?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #347: Aug 07, 2015 12:54:07 pm
      starc has played county cricket, Johnson is in his third tour  and lehmann played here for years. Btw why declare ?

This is why I can't figure out why this swing and seam has done for them so easily.
      It's like they've never seen it before.

I'm assuming the declaration is a psychological ploy, and to increase the chances of getting wickets because the batsmen have to "get in" twice: before and after lunch.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #348: Aug 07, 2015 01:08:07 pm
      No lunch for Warner, he'll be too busy digging a tunnel in the showers after that over from Broad  :)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #349: Aug 07, 2015 02:21:22 pm
      Rubbish England are back !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #350: Aug 07, 2015 03:38:20 pm

Here comes rubbish Australia again.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #351: Aug 07, 2015 07:22:21 pm
      Phew, another enthralling day
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #352: Aug 07, 2015 08:32:04 pm
      Seen a few comments saying how poor it has been. Broad was outstanding yesterday as were Root and Bairstow, the catching was faultless if people think that is poor cricket then they must have extra ordinary high standards. Its been a very good series for England as a team
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #353: Aug 08, 2015 12:12:51 am
      Seen a few comments saying how poor it has been. Broad was outstanding yesterday as were Root and Bairstow, the catching was faultless if people think that is poor cricket then they must have extra ordinary high standards. Its been a very good series for England as a team

I agree.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #354: Aug 08, 2015 11:41:50 am
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #355: Aug 08, 2015 11:52:34 am
      You F***ing beauties, didn't fancy us at all but well done cookie and the boys.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #356: Aug 08, 2015 12:17:10 pm
      Congratulations England, perfect timing with the Prem kicking off in half an hour.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #357: Aug 08, 2015 01:44:37 pm
      Congratulations England! A great series win from a team that had found itself in some very dark places the last couple of years.

Commiserations Australia - it's quite a beating they've taken. Scares me that Clarke has announced his retirement. I remember 10 years ago how he was Australia's future. Good luck to the guy. Great player and a superb captain.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #358: Aug 08, 2015 02:05:40 pm
      Hope everyone is happy with themselves in Australia begging for Clarke to be sacked or retire.

Enjoy a middle order of Voges, Khawaja, Shaun Marsh and Shane Watson you idiots.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #359: Aug 08, 2015 05:16:53 pm
      Echo the sentiment about Michael Clarke, great batsman, great captain and most of all a great bloke
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #360: Aug 08, 2015 10:34:36 pm
      Congratulations England! A great series win from a team that had found itself in some very dark places the last couple of years.

Commiserations Australia - it's quite a beating they've taken. Scares me that Clarke has announced his retirement. I remember 10 years ago how he was Australia's future. Good luck to the guy. Great player and a superb captain.

Great post mate and fair play to you.

Still can't believe these last 2 tests were over as quickly as they were. Lot of soul searching from the Aussies.

Wonder if they had a few bevvies with the English lads after the game.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #361: Aug 08, 2015 10:37:17 pm
      Don't want to put a downer on England here but none of their batsmen have averaged over 40 in this series so far apart from Root. And let's be honest, when they tour abroad in Dubai later this year then we can really assess them.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #362: Aug 09, 2015 01:00:14 am
      When you've spent your entire childhood watching some F***ing shocking players represent England and trying to wrestle the Urn away from some of the all-time greats of the game, you enjoy days like today and series like this, even more.

The sh*t we've gone through since those Aussies tonked us 5-0, to come through the other side smiling with the Ashes in our hands is remarkable. It's been a joy to watch England play some top notch quality cricket. The entire side with maybe one exception has chipped in with big roles at some point during this series. And when that happens, you are more likely to win because your true world class players are then adding runs to an already healthy total or taking wickets from an already depleted side as opposed to scoring just about enough to make your total par or taking three wickets while the score is racing along to 400 odd.

I F***ing love watching us win and watching us win well at that. The Lord's Test asked a lot of questions, they were answered at Headingly and Trent Bridge.

And it wouldn't be one of my posts without mentioning Joe Root. Everybody knows how much I rate the lad. Up there as one of my all time fave players. Not just his batting but his fielding and his whole personality, even to a fan at home it's infectious. He genuinely looks like he's having the time of his life just to be playing for England. Man of the series for me, though I think Broady might get it this time because his bowling throughout has been immense. And Joe Root is now the number one batsmen in world cricket.

It doesn't get better than that from a cricket perspective for me.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #363: Aug 09, 2015 10:59:47 am
      See a lot of stuff saying the standard of cricket has been poor yes it has been from Australia/ We had a poor second test but we have seen some really good bowling, batting and fielding as well as some good decisions by the Captain. Its probably the best "team" since 2005 .
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #364: Aug 09, 2015 11:25:17 am
      I begrudgingly agree, Walton. You outplayed us and we buckled. Now I know what you guys felt for years!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #365: Aug 09, 2015 11:55:26 am
      See a lot of stuff saying the standard of cricket has been poor yes it has been from Australia/ We had a poor second test but we have seen some really good bowling, batting and fielding as well as some good decisions by the Captain. Its probably the best "team" since 2005 .

While it's been some good bowling (outstanding at times), the methods of dismissals for both sides has been poor. Unnecessary shot making and conceding their wickets far too easily.

Fair play England. They bowled brilliantly the past two tests and the better side in 3 of the 4 tests.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #366: Aug 09, 2015 12:10:49 pm
      One aspect of cricket that I really like is how no matter what happens on the field they can still get together after each day/match and have a drink together. Congratulations to Michael Clarke on a terrific career too, he comes across as a top fella.

Who would be people's vote for player of the series?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #367: Aug 09, 2015 12:16:14 pm
      Who would be people's vote for player of the series?

Broad or Starc.

Quick Reply