Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Legends 2-4 Real Madrid (Bernabeu) 14 June 2015

Read 7123 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: LFC Legends 2-4 Real Madrid (Bernabeu) 14 June 2015
      Reply #46: Jun 16, 2015 12:21:44 pm
      Like I said, it's interesting to see different opinions and views on our past players.

I agree with DLS in that both Dudek and Garcia were average for us at best but disagree that they aren't legends. The 2005 European cup win was special and one of the greatest achievements in this clubs history, both Dudek and Garcia played very special and important roles at crucial times and therefore they go down as legends for me.

Not all players who participated in the CL 2005 do though. Kewell for example. Traore too. But Garcia and Dudek do for me.

Regarding Carroll, he obviously doesn't go down as a legend just because he scored in a game or two on route to the league cup triumph. It's not glory hunting DLS, you can't compare the league cup to the European Cup. The Juve, Chelsea and Milan matches were huge, we were the underdogs in all three.  Dudek and Garcia both delivered and both contributed massively to that 5th European cup.

Garcia got 30 goals in 121 games from midfield, which means he scored in 24.8% games for us as a midfielder. Other than Sturridge who has been injured a lot, none our current strikers cant even manage that ratio, so how do you work out he was sh*te most of the time? he was actually quite good until he went to Athletico as part of the Torres deal.

That record isn't great but it's not bad either. Scored 1 in 4 for us.

My opinion of Garcia is that he was a very gifted footballer, intelligent with good feet but he was lightweight, bit of a shithouse, inconsistent.  He was great in European games but put him up against a physical full back in the league and he didn't want to know.

People quite often look back on past players and remember all the great things they did, the goals they scored and so on rather than their weekly average performance for us.

I bet you think John Arne was a boss full back too? Am I right?   Many reds do because they remember some of the screamers he scored for us. But that's all they remember. In reality he was a very average full back and he was criticised most weeks because he struggled to defend half the time and cost us sh*t loads of goals/games etc.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: LFC Legends 2-4 Real Madrid (Bernabeu) 14 June 2015
      Reply #47: Jun 16, 2015 12:43:03 pm
      I bet you think John Arne was a boss full back too? Am I right?   Many reds do because they remember some of the screamers he scored for us. But that's all they remember. In reality he was a very average full back and he was criticised most weeks because he struggled to defend half the time and cost us sh*t loads of goals/games etc.
      didn't he score a wonderful diving header? Only problem it was an own goal that eliminated us in champions league if I remember.  All he had to do was stay on his feet. Rafa didn't keep him long after that. He was pretty good until all that happened.

Quick Reply