Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Fabio Borini (Bologna) - SOLD TO SUNDERLAND

Read 39338 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Fabio Borini (Bologna)
      Reply #161: Aug 13, 2015 10:06:42 am
      In all fairness , I don't think there is one of us who works that would throw a handsomely paid contract away for a less lucrative one especially with the new one where you might have to actually earn the money by doing something
      Ain't that the truth Andy.

I guess it's a case of 'Do as I say; not as I do' with a lot of fans and at a time when a lot of fans are so 'aware', when it comes to accounting; it's strange that they can't understand why someone would actually want take his redundancy (and a pay cut) a year early.

Personally; I don't care if he [Enrique], or any of the others, stay or go.

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2015 11:14:27 am by bad boy bubby »
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #162: Aug 13, 2015 10:39:40 am
      Jose is just stating facts about his situation.

With only a few top flight football seasons left for him, it's logical he prefers to keep his salary this year if his only options are lower sides unlikely to pay him more than half, especially if they don't guarantee him an important role and long contract. And he may even hope to have some part to play here, if our new full backs end injured or underperforming.
      It's not like he is in the beginning of his carreer like Borini or Baloteli, and with 4-5 players ahead of him for the one striker place (he has 3 and there are 2 full backs spots).

I'm completely neutral about him staying or leaving. I've not seen lot of people complaining for us keeping Johnson up to last year, and I don't think Enrique is worse. In the event of Clyne, Gomez being injured before Flanagan heals, it may even end a better investment to keep him than to sell for the 1-5 millions we'd get (especially when they'd probably be reduced by a compensation payment to make him accept the move).
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #163: Aug 13, 2015 01:20:19 pm
      13:10
      SUNDERLAND IN BORINI TALKS

Sunderland are in talks to sign Fabio Borini from Liverpool on season-long loan, according to Sky sources.

We understand Borini has been told he has no future at Liverpool and now could be set to move to the Stadium of Light even though he turned down a permanent move there last summer.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #164: Aug 13, 2015 03:22:54 pm
      13:10
      SUNDERLAND IN BORINI TALKS

Sunderland are in talks to sign Fabio Borini from Liverpool on season-long loan, according to Sky sources.

We understand Borini has been told he has no future at Liverpool and now could be set to move to the Stadium of Light even though he turned down a permanent move there last summer.

If he goes to Sunderland on loan after turning his nose up to a £14 million move to the same team only a year ago he will become one of the most hated players ever to play for us.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #165: Aug 13, 2015 03:26:25 pm
      If he goes to Sunderland on loan after turning his nose up to a £14 million move to the same team only a year ago he will become one of the most hated players ever to play for us.

I thought he was already? :p
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #166: Aug 13, 2015 03:28:21 pm

The kind of people to hate him for this, not people I care for any way as they are shitards.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #167: Aug 13, 2015 03:40:44 pm
      I won't hate him, that's extreme but I will question his sanity. One season they're good enough for them, then they're not and now they are. If they're not good enough for him on a permanent basis then how are they good enough for him for 2 years on loan?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #168: Aug 13, 2015 03:43:03 pm
      What's most staggering about Rodgers signing Borini is that the club gave a completely unproven player a 5 year contract.

Hope we learn a valuable lesson from this fiasco. We literally flushed £10 million down the toilet. Even Balotelli, another in our long list of disastrous signings, managed to score one important goal.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #169: Aug 13, 2015 03:44:39 pm
      I won't hate him, that's extreme but I will question his sanity. One season they're good enough for them, then they're not and now they are. If they're not good enough for him on a permanent basis then how are they good enough for him for 2 years on loan?

Because we will likely pay half the wages he is currently on as part of the loan deal.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #170: Aug 13, 2015 08:24:04 pm
      Because we will likely pay half the wages he is currently on as part of the loan deal.

Exactly what i was about to post. He won't leave on a permanent transfer because he won't get the same wages at a different club. So he is chasing a loan-move, doesn't care about the club, because on a loan out the club will cover some of his wages.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #171: Aug 13, 2015 09:27:50 pm
      Some people on here make me laugh. So theres hatred toward a player who was signed and then actually tried his hardest to win a place in the team? So he isnt good enough now the club must sell him.
      That is not his problem. You get employed and given a salary...yr later boss says he dont like u coz sum1 else can do a better job. Do u just leave or let them fire you?
      Nobody here is gonna just give up their salary without a fight.
      You love the company thats trying to get rid of you? Get real.

I want him gone for the club's sake, but how difficult he makes it for us shouldnt be his problem.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #172: Aug 13, 2015 09:52:33 pm
      Some people on here make me laugh. So theres hatred toward a player who was signed and then actually tried his hardest to win a place in the team? So he isnt good enough now the club must sell him.
      That is not his problem. You get employed and given a salary...yr later boss says he dont like u coz sum1 else can do a better job. Do u just leave or let them fire you?

I want him gone for the club's sake, but how difficult he makes it for us shouldn't be his problem.

Do elaborate how you know he tried his hardest? Not that it even matters. Jay Spearing tried his hardest, Martin Kelly tried his hardest but both realised when it was time to go regardless of what it did for their wage. Borini thinks that sitting on his ass and not moving is good for his bank. Last time I checked the best way to make money in football is by scoring goals and playing games. Borini may have riches now but if he moves as a free agent he's not getting those wages again. No longer is he a 21 year old prospect he is now a... wait for it...

24 year old striker with 29 goals in his entire career.

To put that into perspective at here are some other famous names with their goal tallies at 24:

Jo : 82 goals
      Bosco Balaban : 71 goals
      Akinbiyi : 57 goals
      Tomas Brolin : 50 goals
      Jason Lee : 32 goals

Incase you don't know who these people are they are a selection from several researched lists of the worst strikers in premier league history. People used to sing 'he's got a pineapple on his head' at Jason Lee and still scored more than Fabio. Also funny enough by 24 John Terry only scored six less than Borini.

Now who in their right mind wants to give that £60,000 a week.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #173: Aug 13, 2015 10:03:21 pm

I want him gone for the club's sake, but how difficult he makes it for us shouldnt be his problem.

That's one perspective.
      Another is that even though Borini knew last season he was not part of BRs plans, that the club were willing to let him go ... he wouldn't leave - so we lost out on >10 mill cause he was suffering from the delusion that he could get back in the team.
      Some of the comments might be harsh, but LFC is a massive club, not a charity. We scored shag all goals last season, that was the MAIN factor in our poor finish. If Borini had gone, as most expected he would, that would've freed up a space, brought in some cash, and maybe we could've bought someone who might've made a difference. That is not nothing.

Why should he go? He's entitled to his money. Sure he is. But I don't buy into that mentality. He had the opportunity to play first team football, week in week out for Sunderland (or WH), make a name for himself. Have something more to show for his career. It's not like he was going to have to leave and had no options ... he HAD options.
      Personally I don't respect the option he took, from a footballing standpoint, and from a 'self-respecting man's standpoint.
      Borini might be a nice fella, but you can't have it both ways... that is, piss and moan about us not being successful, and at the same time not be willing to take hard decisions, freeze people out / pander to the whims of deluded pampered footballers.
      Personally, if I had a choice, between working at a company that had me sitting at a desk in corner doing shag all, or a company where I could put in a proper shift, improve and feel valued ... I know what I'd pick.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #174: Aug 13, 2015 10:09:21 pm

It's been suggested recently that Brendan has "accepted" that his signings in the first window haven't got the ability to make the step up. This after the effusive manner in which he welcomed both Allen and Fabio I would have thought this would raise more than simply the need for an acceptance, especially when compounded by what we've seen.

There's no doubt in my mind that Borini burned any bridges at the club the moment he refused the Sunderland transfer, it was clear then that if we had sense we should have offered to match his wages here with those that Sunderland were offering to get him off our books. Since then it's been a case of being all but frozen by Brendan. Unfortunately the cost to us was a hefty one, both in the lost £14m off Sunderland and the subsequent cost of paying for the privilege of freezing a player out on £60k a week.

So while Borini definitely carries the brunt of the burden, as said above he is only looking after himself and, if we're honest, if we were placed in a similar situation we'd struggle to make a decision based on anything else but our own interests. The failing in all this, in my honest opinion, lies with Brendan's man management. I'd be very happy to wager that the deterioration of the relationship between Borini and Rodgers is now an additional driving force in Borini wanting to get the very most he can out of his current contract. I personally hope it's another lesson learned for Brendan because we can ill afford to have our resources used so inefficiently.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #175: Aug 13, 2015 10:18:25 pm
      Do elaborate how you know he tried his hardest? Not that it even matters. Jay Spearing tried his hardest, Martin Kelly tried his hardest but both realised when it was time to go regardless of what it did for their wage. Borini thinks that sitting on his ass and not moving is good for his bank. Last time I checked the best way to make money in football is by scoring goals and playing games. Borini may have riches now but if he moves as a free agent he's not getting those wages again. No longer is he a 21 year old prospect he is now a... wait for it...

24 year old striker with 29 goals in his entire career.

To put that into perspective at here are some other famous names with their goal tallies at 24:

Jo : 82 goals
      Bosco Balaban : 71 goals
      Akinbiyi : 57 goals
      Tomas Brolin : 50 goals
      Jason Lee : 32 goals

Incase you don't know who these people are they are a selection from several researched lists of the worst strikers in premier league history. People used to sing 'he's got a pineapple on his head' at Jason Lee and still scored more than Fabio. Also funny enough by 24 John Terry only scored six less than Borini.

Here is a thought Mags

You get an offer from a company to leave your present employer and come to work for them.

You are given a massive pay raise lets say ($100,000.00/year) a guaranteed contract and asked to relocate to another country for a minimum of 5 years.

You show up for work everyday, you do what you are told, you work hard but it just does not seem to click like it should for you.

A couple of years later your company hires a few others that do the same job as you.

You have a family, financial responsibilities just like everyone else in the world.

Your company asks you to leave and in fact have found another company for you to work for!

Now this new company is going to want you to relocate and take a major cut (lets say $50,000/year) in pay but what the heck its good for your current employer.

So do you toss the money, relocate and be a stand up fella for the good of your own (soon to be former employer) or do you politely say, you guaranteed my contract for 5 years and show up for work the next day.

I don't want the fella here in the first place..but if you tell me you would do that for your employer I would call bullshit.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #176: Aug 13, 2015 10:26:10 pm

I'd be very happy to wager that the deterioration of the relationship between Borini and Rodgers is now an additional driving force in Borini wanting to get the very most he can out of his current contract. I personally hope it's another lesson learned for Brendan because we can ill afford to have our resources used so inefficiently.

So what should BR have done differently. It was clear to the joe on the street Borini was not wanted by the club ... last season. And any player not playing is unhappy with the manager ... while those shown the door will be seriously pissed.
      Given the situation, to say BR was responsible for a deteriorating relationship, don't see that.

BR signed him. He made a mistake - deffo. But he wanted to rectify it. LFC showed Fabio the door. Fabio choose not to go.  Simple as that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #177: Aug 13, 2015 10:28:56 pm
      Here is a thought Mags

You get an offer from a company to leave your present employer and come to work for them.

You are given a massive pay raise lets say ($100,000.00/year) a guaranteed contract and asked to relocate to another country for a minimum of 5 years.

You show up for work everyday, you do what you are told, you work hard but it just does not seem to click like it should for you.

A couple of years later your company hires a few others that do the same job as you.

You have a family, financial responsibilities just like everyone else in the world.

Your company asks you to leave and in fact have found another company for you to work for!

Now this new company is going to want you to relocate and take a major cut (lets say $50,000/year) in pay but what the heck its good for your current employer.

So do you toss the money, relocate and be a stand up fella for the good of your own (soon to be former employer) or do you politely say, you guaranteed my contract for 5 years and show up for work the next day.

I don't want the fella here in the first place..but if you tell me you would do that for your employer I would call bullshit.

I'd tell them exactly where they could go. Bit different though in a way because surely playing football would be your dream job and what you want to do and not in it for the money. Because let's face it, Borini has made enough money to not have to "work" again. If I was in his position I would probably leave because I would want to be playing more than the money, that would be a darn sight harder for me to do than him though because I'm from Liverpool and I love the club. There is no way Borini loves the club and has no personal ties to the club, he is just simply there now because he wants the best pay day he can possibly get. If it was about the football then he'd have left last summer when he was offered 1st team football elsewhere.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #178: Aug 13, 2015 10:32:21 pm
      I'd tell them exactly where they could go. Bit different though in a way because surely playing football would be your dream job and what you want to do and not in it for the money. Because let's face it, Borini has made enough money to not have to "work" again. If I was in his position I would probably leave because I would want to be playing more than the money, that would be a darn sight harder for me to do than him though because I'm from Liverpool and I love the club. There is no way Borini loves the club and has no personal ties to the club, he is just simply there now because he wants the best pay day he can possibly get. If it was about the football then he'd have left last summer when he was offered 1st team football elsewhere.

I understand all that...7KK7...but like you said I would tell then where to go also, as 99.9% of people would do.

I don't want him here but I don't know his life or if he is in debt up to his eyeballs or whatever...I'm just not going to hate him because he doing the exact same thing we all would with an employer.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #179: Aug 13, 2015 10:39:56 pm
      So what should BR have done differently. It was clear to the joe on the street Borini was not wanted by the club ... last season. And any player not playing is unhappy with the manager ... while those shown the door will be seriously pissed.
      Given the situation, to say BR was responsible for a deteriorating relationship, don't see that.

BR signed him. He made a mistake - deffo. But he wanted to rectify it. LFC showed Fabio the door. Fabio choose not to go.  Simple as that.

Once it was clear that Fabio was here to stay he should have been given a better opportunity rather than being frozen out quite so clearly as he was. How many games did we start without a striker or did we allow Balotelli to continue to show how ineffective he is as a lone striker?

Fabio wanted to stay and fight for his place (as well as keep the wages he was on of course), Brendan wanted him to leave, once Fabio refused I believe that Brendan didn't want to give Fabio that chance as that would seem as though Fabio had won that personal battle.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #180: Aug 13, 2015 10:41:24 pm
      Once it was clear that Fabio was here to stay he should have been given a better opportunity rather than being frozen out quite so clearly as he was.

Pretty hard to disagree with this.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #181: Aug 13, 2015 10:42:40 pm
      I understand all that...7KK7...but like you said I would tell then where to go also, as 99.9% of people would do.

I don't want him here but I don't know his life or if he is in debt up to his eyeballs or whatever...I'm just not going to hate him because he doing the exact same thing we all would with an employer.

He most certainly is not in debt mate. He is just an overpaid mediocre footballer with little ambition to use his abilities in a profession he is extremely fortunate to be in and one all of us here can only dream of working in.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #182: Aug 13, 2015 10:44:26 pm
      He most certainly is not in debt mate. He is just an overpaid mediocre footballer with little ambition to use his abilities in a profession he is extremely fortunate to be in and one all of us here can only dream of.

May be Baz....Liverpool FC's fault for doing a 5 year guaranteed contract; they signed off on it, it did not work out...club pays the price.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #183: Aug 13, 2015 10:46:06 pm
      Once it was clear that Fabio was here to stay he should have been given a better opportunity rather than being frozen out quite so clearly as he was. How many games did we start without a striker or did we allow Balotelli to continue to show how ineffective he is as a lone striker?

Fabio wanted to stay and fight for his place (as well as keep the wages he was on of course), Brendan wanted him to leave, once Fabio refused I believe that Brendan didn't want to give Fabio that chance as that would seem as though Fabio had won that personal battle.

He most certainly is not in debt mate. He is just an overpaid mediocre footballer with little ambition to use his abilities in a profession he is extremely fortunate to be in and one all of us here can only dream of working in.

Going back to what Luke. Once it was clear he was here to stay he should have been given a better opportunity or at least a fair chance because now he might have thought that after a season of fighting for his place but it not going to plan he is now ready to move on and accept he has no future with us but instead it's almost as though he is just going to dig his heel in and essentially make it as hard as possible for the club to get rid of him whilst claiming every penny he still can.

Quick Reply