Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Fulham [Premier League] Sat 6th Mar @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of March and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W12 D4 L3

Joe Gomez Player Thread

Read 92408 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,988 posts | 3381 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #1000: Nov 12, 2020 12:39:38 pm
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,947 posts | 852 
      Reply #1001: Nov 12, 2020 12:40:07 pm
      Gomez is way too injury prone, unfortunately we can’t rely on him for the future.

It’s clear we need to invest

No he isn’t -

Having a couple of serious injuries that can happen to anyone doesn’t make him injury prone - being in and out of the physio table is injury prone and Gomez hasn’t done that in his short career so far
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,223 posts | 1939 
      Reply #1002: Nov 12, 2020 12:51:56 pm
      No he isn’t -

Having a couple of serious injuries that can happen to anyone doesn’t make him injury prone - being in and out of the physio table is injury prone and Gomez hasn’t done that in his short career so far

This is Joe's third big injury and he's only 23. It could have a big impact on his long term fitness from here on.

We will need to sign a new experienced top CB in January now unless we want to write this season off. So we may need to spend big unless we can get a good deal for one which will be tricky in the January window.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,947 posts | 852 
      Reply #1003: Nov 12, 2020 12:59:32 pm
      This is Joe's third big injury and he's only 23. It could have a big impact on his long term fitness from here on.

We will need to sign a new experienced top CB in January now unless we want to write this season off. So we may need to spend big unless we can get a good deal for one which will be tricky in the January window.

He had an ACL and a broken bone - both of which after recovery didn’t affect his ability - just like the tendon injury won’t as well. He is still young and many other players have had worse and still played long successful careers mainly because of the modern science

Let’s not write him off just yet

Yes we potentially might need to bring in a CB but I can still see only a short term one whilst they bring through the likes of Phillips , Williams and Koumeito
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,193 posts | 1728 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1004: Nov 12, 2020 01:01:05 pm
      Operation on a knee tendon. He will miss a significant part if the season, does not say season over, though Id read between the lines on the "significant" part of the statement
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,471 posts | 1318 
      Reply #1005: Nov 12, 2020 01:02:33 pm
      F***ing wow
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,029 posts | 3188 
      Reply #1006: Nov 12, 2020 01:04:28 pm
      FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKK

These cu*ts really do want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, don't they.
      As if the club fixture list isn't bad enough, they have to pile on these stupid f**king "friendlies" that only serve to fill the FA coffers.

Cu*ts.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,844 posts | 2924 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1007: Nov 12, 2020 01:16:08 pm
      Feel for the lad, it seems every time he gets back to his optimum injury strikes yet again, he will come back from this I have no doubt, and he is young enough for his body to fully recover, this again raises the issue of players playing too many games with very little time for rest and recovery, this just isn’t coincidental, it’s happening at other clubs too,

It really is time the authorities Listened to the sports scientists, physio’s etc about players welfare, instead of listening to the cash dropping into their coffers, but my guess is that they don’t actually give a shiny sh*te about that.

Good luck Joe, hope you aren’t out for too long !

Y  N  W  A
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,165 posts | 673 
      Reply #1008: Nov 12, 2020 01:33:00 pm
      6 months minimum would of thought possibly 8-10 think season over personally
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 656 
      Reply #1009: Nov 12, 2020 01:34:49 pm
      Tendon injury during practice? That really is just truly shitty luck. How often do we hear about players getting significant injuries in training? not often at all.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 656 
      Reply #1010: Nov 12, 2020 01:37:12 pm
      Feel for the lad, it seems every time he gets back to his optimum injury strikes yet again, he will come back from this I have no doubt, and he is young enough for his body to fully recover, this again raises the issue of players playing too many games with very little time for rest and recovery, this just isn’t coincidental, it’s happening at other clubs too,

It really is time the authorities Listened to the sports scientists, physio’s etc about players welfare, instead of listening to the cash dropping into their coffers, but my guess is that they don’t actually give a shiny sh*te about that.

Good luck Joe, hope you aren’t out for too long !

Y  N  W  A

I don't chalk this injury up to the schedule as i think fatigue from the schedule is more likely to result in muscular injuries, like what we saw with Arnold, that are more short-term. Gomez must have had a hard collision or tackle or something in practice to damage a tendon to the point of surgery.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,981 posts | 2049 
      Reply #1011: Nov 12, 2020 01:56:26 pm
      I don't chalk this injury up to the schedule as i think fatigue from the schedule is more likely to result in muscular injuries, like what we saw with Arnold, that are more short-term. Gomez must have had a hard collision or tackle or something in practice to damage a tendon to the point of surgery.

Southgate said no one was near him when he pulled up
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,421 posts | 4070 
      Reply #1012: Nov 12, 2020 02:13:22 pm
      Hope it's not the patellar tendon....

"Similarly, after a complete rupture, the patellar tendon surgery recovery time will also vary. Immediately following the procedure, the knee will be immobilized, and the individual will need crutches to assist with mobility for a few weeks to prevent reinjury. It may take a full year to make a complete patellar tendon tear surgery recovery. Many patients experience weakness in the injured knee even after the patellar tendon has fully healed."
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,313 posts | 2665 
      Reply #1013: Nov 12, 2020 02:16:27 pm

He had an ACL and a broken bone - both of which after recovery didn’t affect his ability - just like the tendon injury won’t as well. He is still young and many other players have had worse and still played long successful careers mainly because of the modern science

Let’s not write him off just yet

Yes we potentially might need to bring in a CB but I can still see only a short term one whilst they bring through the likes of Phillips , Williams and Koumeito

Besides the serious injuries he does seem to pick up niggles here and there as well, didn't he miss quite a few games last season as well? Anyway good news if he gets back this season.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,165 posts | 673 
      Reply #1014: Nov 12, 2020 02:19:06 pm

Southgate lying then ? You can damage tendons in knee by jumping and landing awkwardly or through lack of muscle strength in areas supporting areas could of happened at any time and location
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 656 
      Reply #1015: Nov 12, 2020 02:35:00 pm
      Southgate lying then ? You can damage tendons in knee by jumping and landing awkwardly or through lack of muscle strength in areas supporting areas could of happened at any time and location

When did i say Southgate was lying or alluded to that? i am simply stating that i do not think i would consider fatigue from the heavy schedule as the reason for this injury, like i would for Arnold's, since its not muscular. You are correct that this type of injury can happen at any time or place.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,223 posts | 1939 
      Reply #1016: Nov 12, 2020 03:07:06 pm
      When did i say Southgate was lying or alluded to that? i am simply stating that i do not think i would consider fatigue from the heavy schedule as the reason for this injury, like i would for Arnold's, since its not muscular. You are correct that this type of injury can happen at any time or place.

If Joe had any weakness in his knee the gruelling physical schedule would have exasperated the underlying issue as recovery days are massively important for these athletes.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,988 posts | 3381 
      Reply #1017: Nov 12, 2020 05:06:46 pm
      Hope it's not the patellar tendon....

"Similarly, after a complete rupture, the patellar tendon surgery recovery time will also vary. Immediately following the procedure, the knee will be immobilized, and the individual will need crutches to assist with mobility for a few weeks to prevent reinjury. It may take a full year to make a complete patellar tendon tear surgery recovery. Many patients experience weakness in the injured knee even after the patellar tendon has fully healed."

I believe that’s exactly what it is.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,947 posts | 852 
      Reply #1018: Nov 12, 2020 05:13:22 pm
      I believe that’s exactly what it is.

It’s not that - they expect him back before May
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,947 posts | 852 
      Reply #1019: Nov 12, 2020 05:13:44 pm
      Besides the serious injuries he does seem to pick up niggles here and there as well, didn't he miss quite a few games last season as well? Anyway good news if he gets back this season.

He had a broken ankle from a tackle
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,988 posts | 3381 
      Reply #1020: Nov 12, 2020 05:14:32 pm
      It’s not that - they expect him back before May

Keep dreaming.

He has had a patellar tendon rupture as reported by all the journo’s.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,947 posts | 852 
      Reply #1021: Nov 12, 2020 05:35:12 pm
      Keep dreaming.

He has had a patellar tendon rupture as reported by all the journo’s.

The tendon wasnt fully ruptured and was only damaged along with no other issues with the ligaments with the expected recovery within 4/6 months
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 25,143 posts | 1373 
      Reply #1022: Nov 12, 2020 05:37:01 pm
      I doubt it's a patellar tendon rupture if the club think he can play again this season (especially considering how reluctant we have been as a club in recent years to put timescales on injuries).
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 560 posts | 429 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1023: Nov 12, 2020 05:48:53 pm
      Poor Joe, he must feel absolutely gutted with the news as we all are, like everyone has said, all these games in such a short space of time are bound to take it's toll on the body no matter how fit these lads are, he will of course get the best medical help and support from the medics and the club, time to put all that new machinery at Kirby into good practice with all these bloody injuries....gutted, as if this year hasn't been difficult enough.  :f_wah:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,177 posts | 1958 
      Reply #1024: Nov 12, 2020 05:49:29 pm
      Agree with you Robby - this could easily have happened at Kirkby.

Aside from that, it's absolutely ridiculous that we are having these international breaks. Bar the play offs they should have been scrapped entirely given the circumstances/fixture pile up. Personally I'd ban all internationals during in season and have a 3 week post season block and then another 3 week pre season block to play them in. At the very least, get rid of friendlies. I don't think there's a bigger waste of time in this world than international friendlies.

I see Diogo Jota came on for Portugal to play the final 16 minutes of a 7-0 match. Talk about meaningless...

I like international football actually, but the confederations and FIFA have been way too aggressive about creating new events, crowding the calendar with friendlies.

Quick Reply