Trending Topics

Next match: Sheff Utd v LFC [Premier League] Sun 28th Feb @ 7:15 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Bramall Lane

Today is the 26th of February and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D4 L9

Joe Gomez Player Thread

Read 92236 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,470 posts | 4569 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #1050: Nov 15, 2020 11:37:21 pm
      Fucks sake!
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 571 posts | 210 
      Reply #1051: Dec 27, 2020 02:59:28 pm
      Seing that the lad is injured and that there has been much talk about us needing to buy a center-back I was wondering what is the general consensus around Joe?
      Is he your long-term VVD partner or would you prefer the club to go another route and recruit a center-back to directly challenge for his position?

Do you consider him injury prone?

Do you feel like he is Jürgen's first choice partner for VVD?

Do you think Fabinho excelling at CB affects any of that?

Those questions came to my mind mainly because some of the names thrown around and the price tags they would command are those of a starting CB (Upamecano or Konate come to mind) while on the other side I feel like Klopp has made it clear in the past year or so that he very much likes Joe and that if everybody is fit (even when Lovren was there) Joe is the other CB.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,296 posts | 2663 
      Reply #1052: Dec 27, 2020 03:35:03 pm
      Seing that the lad is injured and that there has been much talk about us needing to buy a center-back I was wondering what is the general consensus around Joe?
      Is he your long-term VVD partner or would you prefer the club to go another route and recruit a center-back to directly challenge for his position?

Those questions came to my mind mainly because some of the names thrown around and the price tags they would command are those of a starting CB (Upamecano or Konate come to mind) while on the other side I feel like Klopp has made it clear in the past year or so that he very much likes Joe and that if everybody is fit (even when Lovren was there) Joe is the other CB.

I think he's a very good CB but he is injury prone, same as Matip and we need another CB to fight for the starting spot next to Virg, Per Schuurs from Ajax would be absolutely perfect.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,840 posts | 2918 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1053: Dec 28, 2020 09:27:39 am
      We don’t need A CB, we need two,we can’t rely on Matip, and we can’t really rely on Joe either, we have two young lads in Rhys & Matt but one is surplus and will likely be sold, that still only leaves us with one reliable shoe in CB, before Virgil got injured, or if you like when Dejan went, we should have strengthened then,

with the amount of games we have to play coupled with the lack of training time, plus the intensity of how we play it’s pivotal that we have to rotate, in short, ideally we need 4 reliable trusty CB’s with back up from the likes of Rhys/ Matt, we have one, Virgil,

Yes we can throw Fabinho in there and he has proven his worth without question but, that leaves us without a proper world class DM, it’s alright saying we will make do short term, but if your facing half a season without 50% of your main defensive line, you need to recruit, asap in my opinion, but whoever is brought in he has to be as good if not better than we have already, and in it for the long haul not to just fill a void.

Get it Done !

Y  N  W  A
      tezmac
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,942 posts | 364 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1054: Dec 28, 2020 04:47:44 pm
      Do you think we will get one CB
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,205 posts | 1931 
      Reply #1055: Dec 28, 2020 04:54:04 pm

Yes.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,296 posts | 2663 
      Reply #1056: Dec 29, 2020 09:01:08 am

No, I think we'll get two, one probably on loan.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,062 posts | 3886 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #1057: Dec 29, 2020 09:41:33 am
      I think he's a very good CB but he is injury prone, same as Matip and we need another CB to fight for the starting spot next to Virg, Per Schuurs from Ajax would be absolutely perfect.

You can't say Joe Gomez is injury prone when you look at how the majority of the big injuries happened (impact)
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,296 posts | 2663 
      Reply #1058: Dec 29, 2020 12:08:29 pm
      You can't say Joe Gomez is injury prone when you look at how the majority of the big injuries happened (impact)

OK, he's just unlucky then, but either way he misses a lot of games for us!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,205 posts | 1931 
      Reply #1059: Dec 29, 2020 12:17:58 pm

We are unbelievably unlucky with CB injuries.

Three brilliant CB's injured for most of a season.

I think we will sign Kabak from Shalke as cover and hope that Joel, Joe and Virgil are back by April.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,062 posts | 3886 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #1060: Dec 29, 2020 03:21:53 pm

Hairy muff
      verde-rubro
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,147 posts | 111 
      Reply #1061: Dec 29, 2020 06:20:05 pm

Schuurs is a good shout and i believe he would jump at the chance to play for us, he would love to play along side VVD as it would mean he getting a regular starting place next to VVD in the Holland team
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 31 
      Reply #1062: Dec 29, 2020 06:29:43 pm
      Schuurs is a good shout and i believe he would jump at the chance to play for us, he would love to play along side VVD as it would mean he getting a regular starting place next to VVD in the Holland team

This makes a lot of sense. I know he has said in the past that he is focussing on staying at Ajax to get games, but what else would he be expected to say whilst he is an Ajax player.
      With our current situation he would be one of the first names on the team sheet as it stands, and even when we have a clean bill of health there is no reason why he wouldn't become the first choice partner of VVD given Joe's (and Joel's obviously) injuries.

I'd be over the moon if we move quickly to bring this guy in.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,156 posts | 1952 
      Reply #1063: Jan 02, 2021 10:28:49 pm

1. Conversations about buying replacements are probably best left for other threads.

2. My concern for Joe Gomez is that he will never play again. I think his injury is that serious and you are not hearing any kind of recovery narrative like you are with Virgil. Yes it's somewhat tea leaf reading by me, but this whole idea of a severed tendon is pretty drastic. It is going to take a lot for Joe to be able to play anything close to top flight football.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 25,095 posts | 1364 
      Reply #1064: Jan 02, 2021 10:34:24 pm
      1. Conversations about buying replacements are probably best left for other threads.

2. My concern for Joe Gomez is that he will never play again. I think his injury is that serious and you are not hearing any kind of recovery narrative like you are with Virgil. Yes it's somewhat tea leaf reading by me, but this whole idea of a severed tendon is pretty drastic. It is going to take a lot for Joe to be able to play anything close to top flight football.

I think a lot of it is that's he's just a lot more shy and quiet than VVD is.
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,783 posts | 319 
      Reply #1065: Jan 02, 2021 10:43:02 pm
      This makes a lot of sense. I know he has said in the past that he is focussing on staying at Ajax to get games, but what else would he be expected to say whilst he is an Ajax player.
      With our current situation he would be one of the first names on the team sheet as it stands, and even when we have a clean bill of health there is no reason why he wouldn't become the first choice partner of VVD given Joe's (and Joel's obviously) injuries.

I'd be over the moon if we move quickly to bring this guy in.

In one. article which I posted up on the forum he said that he wants to stay there for a few seasons.  Apparantly he has become a regular quite recently this season if I'm not mistaken.    I feel that if there were chances he wouldn't say that but heads can get turned and VVD is a big carrot, but personally don't think it is going to happen this window with his statement. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,156 posts | 1952 
      Reply #1066: Jan 03, 2021 02:45:01 am

I think a lot of it is that's he's just a lot more shy and quiet than VVD is.

Hope that's it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,156 posts | 1952 
      Reply #1067: Jan 30, 2021 12:46:31 pm

Klopp said yesterday he would be surprised if Gomez plays in another match this season.

Hopefully he can resume playing in the summer, but it's a tough injury

Quick Reply