Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 17th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 168566 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,340 posts | 1620 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #1081: Feb 20, 2022 03:58:48 am
      Thought Joe did ok today first game in Fck knows , people forget he was part of an outstanding partnership with Virg , we have all seen how a major injury can set a player back , some make it back to the top some don’t ,
      If he can manage to get his fitness and form up he still has a role to play wouldn’t write the lad off just yet .
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1082: Feb 20, 2022 05:56:34 am
      I still don't understand why so many people went after Joe in the match thread. He had a solid game in a position that isn't natural to him. And don't forget his last start was almost 2 months ago...
      It's not fair to expect him to provide the same attacking threat TAA does, he will never cross the ball like Trent. And that's fine, he has other attributes. I do believe he did his job today, and for now that's good enough.

Some people always like to pick out individuals,  win lose or draw
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #1083: Feb 20, 2022 10:44:50 am
      Some people always like to pick out individuals,  win lose or draw

It’s not enough just to win. We have to win in style. Otherwise a scrappy win is not considered a win. ;D ;D ;D And that’s a warning sign - we’d better watch out in our subsequent performances. A failure is coming… Omg!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1084: Feb 20, 2022 11:40:46 pm
      Rusty, understandably but he still did a few good things and linked up with Mo nicely.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1085: Feb 21, 2022 12:04:31 am
      Great to see how back yesterday, has been really unlucky with covid and illness keeping him out of some league and FA Cup opportunities do he has had to bide his time. I thought he looked quick and sharp. I’d hate to see him go and still believe he has a long lecture career ahead of him if he can stay fit
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,170 posts | 6344 
      Reply #1086: Feb 21, 2022 11:48:29 am
      Finally got to watch a replay of the game, I thought he was fantastic. Especially playing out of position and after such a long layoff. I would honestly rotate him in with Trent more often maybe for teams where we need just a bit more defensive cover down that side.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1087: Feb 21, 2022 12:17:46 pm
      Finally got to watch a replay of the game, I thought he was fantastic. Especially playing out of position and after such a long layoff. I would honestly rotate him in with Trent more often maybe for teams where we need just a bit more defensive cover down that side.

Up until he had his ankle broken by Ben Mee(?) I'm sure he was rotating with Trent on a fairly regular basis.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1088: Feb 21, 2022 02:50:57 pm
      Joe needs a run of games and he’ll get back to bring his best, love the kid..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,534 posts | 3904 
      Reply #1089: Feb 21, 2022 03:29:35 pm
      Joe needs a run of games and he’ll get back to bring his best, love the kid..

I think he’s excellent mate - I think people have forgotten just how good he was at one point. If he’s allowed to hit a peak then he has the potential to be one of the very best
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1090: Feb 21, 2022 03:37:36 pm
      I have a feeling he may be about to be used a lot more, possibly why we let williams go on loan.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,142 posts | 257 
      Reply #1091: Feb 21, 2022 04:46:00 pm
      IMO Joe is a great squad member. His versatile is invalueable and we know well how good he was before injury.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,011 posts | 2088 
      Reply #1092: Mar 02, 2022 11:56:10 pm
      He had a strange game tonight. Showed that he's still got that lethal pace which can bail us out and his use of it in covering the ball and sweeping it up perfectly was great. But he seemed incapable at times at stepping forward and dominating his area perfectly exemplified by some lax defending for Norwich's goal. A few moments later a Norwich attacker wins the ball unchallenged and with WAY too much space in his area. But I have no doubt that with regular games that he can restore that side of his game.

I hope we keep him for as long as possible. Circumstances may dictate that he wants to leave for regular first team football but that would be a bit defeatist in my eyes. As we've seen plenty over the last couple of years, injuries are inevitable and he will get another chance to prove himself with a regular run in that position.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1093: Mar 03, 2022 09:04:41 am
      I dont get reactions to Joe. Not sure if people are expecting VVD levels or what. He misplaced 2 passes last night, Ali misplaaced at least 3 under zero pressure but no mention of that, yet Joe is classed as almost being a liability!

Gomez reads the game well and keeps it simple. We have other players to do other things. Think hes an ox away from being scapegoat number 1.

No club has a 4th choice centre half on his level
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #1094: Mar 03, 2022 10:46:18 am
      I dont get reactions to Joe. Not sure if people are expecting VVD levels or what. He misplaced 2 passes last night, Ali misplaaced at least 3 under zero pressure but no mention of that, yet Joe is classed as almost being a liability!

Gomez reads the game well and keeps it simple. We have other players to do other things. Think hes an ox away from being scapegoat number 1.

He had a mixed bag of a performance yesterday, some good moments and his numbers were actually very impressive.

He misplaced more than 2 passes though - but that’s fine, we’re not asking for 100% passing record. He was just struggling to find his range with the lofty passes; overhit one in the first half that went out for a Norwich throw, underhit one later in the half that went to a Norwich player high up the pitch and then, just after the break, he was under pressure and tries to switch it from left to right and it’s intercepted close to, if not inside, our penalty area. Then of course for the goal he just backs off and let’s the shot happen.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,170 posts | 6344 
      Reply #1095: Mar 03, 2022 02:30:09 pm

A lot of clubs don't have a 2nd choice on his level. If he continues to find his form he may misplace Joel again if Matip ever has to miss for injury.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,184 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1096: Mar 03, 2022 09:17:53 pm
      Though he was very poor for there goal, he was covering the side of the goal Allison couldn’t cover then he moved out of the way
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,249 posts | 2799 
      Reply #1097: Mar 03, 2022 11:38:51 pm
      Got no problem with him having a game like he did last night. Very poor for the goal (didn't do his job properly and effectively gave Ali no chance with his positioning either) but a lot of good things. Showed he's still got that pace even after the injury which was good to see. Kind of performance you'd expect from someone finding his way back and not getting many games.

Much better than the other Norwich game where he got bullied a few times by their left winger.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1098: Mar 20, 2022 10:01:52 pm
      So much want this lad to prove his ability
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1099: Mar 20, 2022 10:09:50 pm
      Thought he did really well tonight. Aggressive as a right back and used pace to sweep well at the back.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,011 posts | 2088 
      Reply #1100: Mar 20, 2022 10:26:29 pm
      Thought he did really well tonight. Aggressive as a right back and used pace to sweep well at the back.

Totally agree - gave him my MOTM tonight.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1101: Mar 21, 2022 10:37:59 am

Only slight thing to pick up on is I think he sometimes forgets he's playing as a RB because a few times he was in the middle of Konate and Virgil with a lot of space being left out wide. He's played very little football over the last 18months, even less of that has been at RB so for a player that is naturally a CB, it's to be expected and I'm sure that the more he plays, the more used to it he will get again.

But positive sign that he was more than confident to get forward on the right and attack. His delivery was never going to be at the level of Trent but that's obvious. Was confident enough to let fly of a shot after getting forward into the box too. It was a poor strike but it was a promising sign of attacking intent from him.

Covered well too when Virigl and Konate were caught out on the high line.

All in all, job well done and plenty of positives to take from it for him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1102: Mar 21, 2022 12:08:42 pm
      he was much much better if he can stop getting caught in two minds on the ball then he will be back to the Joe we knew alongside Virgil.
      Game time is everything now but when Trent is back and Joel is back he wont get a lot of game time. Its tough getting into the Liverpool team now so you have to make the most of every opportunity and I am sure Jürgen will really pleased for Joe as well are we need every player now to do his bit.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #1103: Mar 21, 2022 05:42:13 pm
      For the league game it wouldn't bother me if Gomez played. City always target Trent with the diagonal ball over him.

Quick Reply