Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 170004 times
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,861 posts | 411 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1357: Jan 11, 2024 05:56:06 pm
      That sentiment is dangerous. It's what screwed us over big time in 2014/2015 when carrying a Gerrard who was a shadow of his former self that left massive gaps in the midfield for opponents to exploit.

Robbo I'm sure will prove himself in training once and displace Gomez in time, but right now the present is all that matters and what the present tells us is that Joe is doing a fantastic job there. You don't have a right to walk in just because you've done it in the past. Klopp has built his success on meritocracy.

Robbo is walking straight back in as soon as he is up to speed. Can't be having Joe out on the left out of choice. The team needs the balance of a left footer out there.

Joe though will get plenty of game time be it left back right back or in the middle of the defence.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2103 
      Reply #1358: Jan 11, 2024 05:59:02 pm
      A 35 year old past his best Gerrard and the best left back in the league still in his 20s. Behave yourself. Robbo will be back good as new. And straight back in ... as he should be. Not even a debate. Gomez has a few good games after 3 years in the wilderness and people going overboard saying he's took Robertsons place  ... I want to see him playing game after game at a high level at cb ... displaying something like robbo's consistency . He will get more games then and right back too. But hes doing a great job standing in ... no more than that. Not good for tsmikas though.

I'm not saying Robbo's a crock and I already said I expect him to work his way back into the starting eleven given how good he is. But that's the thing - he has to work his way in. No one has free entry. I'm just saying that there is no such thing as a permanent place in the starting eleven.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #1359: Jan 11, 2024 06:18:48 pm
      I'm not saying Robbo's a crock and I already said I expect him to work his way back into the starting eleven given how good he is. But that's the thing - he has to work his way in. No one has free entry. I'm just saying that there is no such thing as a permanent place in the starting eleven.

That's what I was meaning as well.

Not saying Robbo would never get his place back but for me he has to earn it or Joe loses it.

We're still winning then Gomez stays for me.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #1360: Jan 11, 2024 06:45:08 pm
      That's what I was meaning as well.

Not saying Robbo would never get his place back but for me he has to earn it or Joe loses it.

We're still winning then Gomez stays for me.

Fair enough. And same for Frankly as well. But not for me. We've missed Robbo. When he's ready and looking good in training he's back in. And Joe will understand that. He knows he will get his games as much as he knows Robertson is coming back in.

I'm made up for Joe. I'd written him off to be honest. But he's looked great this season  across the back 4 ... got some of his old zip back and long may it continue.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,861 posts | 411 
      Reply #1361: Jan 11, 2024 07:00:03 pm
      Written him off too but he has done well. Has made some mistakes on the ball that have nearly come back to bite us but we've always managed to escape. On another day those mistakes are costly.

Overall though he's done us proud and his versatility is obviously an asset to the squad.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1362: Jan 11, 2024 07:29:29 pm
      Not playing too bad considering he’s out of position
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 830 posts | 298 
      Reply #1363: Jan 11, 2024 08:08:24 pm
      He'll get lots of games this season. When Robbo is fit he'll still not be able to start every game. Joe will get games at LB, he'll replace Tsimikas not Robbo.
      He'll also get games at RB and CB.

His versatility is a big advantage for us although I think he might prefer to be a guaranteed starter in 1 position.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1364: Jan 12, 2024 12:26:31 am
      Yeah, what a job he's done. Robbo will have to work hard to reclaim his place in the first eleven.

By the time Robbo gets back and gets back up to speed, Joe might be due a break. Don't want him getting injured from too much workload.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #1365: Jan 21, 2024 10:49:28 pm
      His consistency this season puts him in the top 5 players for us this season.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 527 
      Reply #1366: Jan 22, 2024 12:13:49 am
      Think LB might be his best position. He likes coming inside on his right. Today he actually was playing the inverted fullback role for a lot of the game, kept coming into central midfield. Played well again.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #1367: Jan 22, 2024 04:48:15 am
      Been F***ing boss this season. He won’t want this label, but being a utility man than can play anywhere across the back line, suits him perfectly.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,453 posts | 212 
      Reply #1368: Jan 22, 2024 07:44:20 am
      Was totally wrong on him

He’s like our arbeloa (sorry if I spelled incorrectly, full back who could cover cb) except Gomez is the other way around cb who can cover fb

He’s vital to keep as he can play everywhere now in the back line
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1369: Jan 22, 2024 11:15:41 am
      Joe has the habit of stepping up every time it feels like the tide is turning against him, reminds me of Lucas Levia. I hope he can continue to get minutes and keep this consistency up because he is a great defender and is starting to even make things happen when going forward. Another, with a great attitude and wants to do his part for this great club.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,861 posts | 411 
      Reply #1370: Jan 22, 2024 12:42:43 pm
      It's just a run of games thing as well I think. Cracking  ping for Darwins 2nd
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2103 
      Reply #1371: Jan 22, 2024 04:50:34 pm
      Joe has the habit of stepping up every time it feels like the tide is turning against him, reminds me of Lucas Levia. I hope he can continue to get minutes and keep this consistency up because he is a great defender and is starting to even make things happen when going forward. Another, with a great attitude and wants to do his part for this great club.

Ahh Lucas. Another player cruelly undone by injury. Dalglish's reign went to pot the moment he got injured in late 2011. Forget that he played for us for so long - 9 years in the end. What a player and a servant.

When Robbo returns, he needs to make the case that he is deserving of getting back in that left back spot. I think Joe has already made his case. Tough decision for the manager - ultimately it will come down to who trains better as it always does for Jürgen.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1372: Jan 22, 2024 10:31:27 pm
      How the hell is Andy gonna reclaim his spot with Joe killing it there?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #1373: Jan 25, 2024 02:15:00 am
      How the hell is Andy gonna reclaim his spot with Joe killing it there?
      I'm as big a Robbo fan on here as anyone. With that said, Joe may be the best LB in the league atm. It would be harsh to pull him now. Robbo won his spot in Jurges staring 11 due to an injury to Moreno. Maybe you ride with Joe for the time being and bring Robbo along slowly. FA cup game against a mid table Championship team sounds a good game to get some minutes. I also love the idea of creating competition for spots. Let these two drive one another to new levels and compete each week for the starting shirt....
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1374: Jan 25, 2024 07:07:56 am
      No chance. Robbo will be straight back into LB when match fit.

Gomez been brilliant, but not a patch in Robbo, we've missed his mad runs, his over laps, his general enthusiasm etc.

Gomez back to covering every possible position he can.  L o l

Good news is, Robbo won't be rushed back or over played while Gomez is playing so well.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #1375: Jan 25, 2024 12:34:41 pm
      Player of the season for me so far (up with Salah and VVD).
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #1376: Jan 25, 2024 12:35:39 pm
      No chance. Robbo will be straight back into LB when match fit.

Gomez been brilliant, but not a patch in Robbo, we've missed his mad runs, his over laps, his general enthusiasm etc.

Gomez back to covering every possible position he can.  L o l

Good news is, Robbo won't be rushed back or over played while Gomez is playing so well.

I don’t know mate, I think Robbo needs to earn it back. Gomez has been immense.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 830 posts | 298 
      Reply #1377: Jan 25, 2024 09:30:36 pm

I think Robbo will be fit before Trent. So maybe Robbo plays LB and Joe moves across to cover RB with Bradley losing out?

Might be a bit harsh on Joe and Bradley but makes the team better.

Also, Robbo is not going to start playing 90mins twice a week immediately, he'll need time to get fully fit. They will both probably get time at LB
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #1378: Jan 26, 2024 01:58:48 am
      Having Joe on tye bench is a great problem to have. Hopefully we have a lot more games to play. Need his versatility to cover games in these deep cup runs / prem season. We're gonna take it to the wire. Need him filling in a lot in various spots
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1379: Jan 26, 2024 12:31:52 pm

Nah. No contest.

Quick Reply