Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 170002 times
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #276: Apr 27, 2016 07:26:18 am
      God I miss this guy.

Keep thinking to myself what if he didn't get injured.

Showing incredible promise really early!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #277: Apr 28, 2016 04:42:05 pm
      MASSIVE opportunity for the kid now Sakho has gone and messed up, get fit and get a pre-season and i dont see why he cant start as a CB
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #278: May 06, 2016 08:33:01 pm
      Back in light, outdoor training  ;D
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #279: Jun 11, 2016 03:48:22 am
      Back in light, outdoor training  ;D

Any news on Joe? I really hope he'll come back strong.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #280: Jun 18, 2016 10:06:31 pm
      Answer to our defensive midfield conundrum anyone?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,691 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #281: Jun 20, 2016 06:11:27 pm

Why would we play a 19 year old player, learning his trade as central defender or left back with high potential and stick him in an unknown territory  after a terrible injury and then break him for not succeeding there.

Non sense, in my opinion
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #282: Jun 20, 2016 06:27:37 pm

No.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #283: Jun 23, 2016 01:24:34 pm
      Rewatched our game vs arsenal when Joe played LB and he was so good! I can not wait to have him back! I really hope his injury doesn't make him injury prone or stunted his development too much!

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #284: Jun 24, 2016 02:44:28 pm
      I believe in these young players if your good enough your old enough.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #285: Jul 14, 2016 11:53:27 pm
      Picked up an achilles injury now too so another few weeks on the physio table :(
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #286: Aug 15, 2016 03:33:42 pm
      How is Gomez's recovery coming along?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #287: Aug 31, 2016 10:42:18 pm
      When's this boy due back?
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #288: Sep 02, 2016 11:18:22 am
      The ever so reliable PhysioRoom.com (apologies, but it is very hard to find anything even close to a return date for Joe) had him due to return in approximately 4 weeks as of the 11th of August, but the latest update reads "No return date". No recent updates from the lad himself on the equally as reliable social media accounts.

The thing about it is even when he does return to first team training, he's missed a year of football, it is going to take quite a while for him get back up to speed. Look at Ings, playing with the U23's, that's not because Klopp doesn't rate him, it's because he missed 6 months, he's not going to jump straight in to a competitive Premier League match and be hitting 100%. It will be the same and maybe even longer for Joe, but if it means we get the best out of him in the long term then it will be worth it.

I originally came in here to suggest we all need to calm down on the LB situation as the majority of us are guilty of forgetting about Gomez. Klopp is a man who looks at the bigger picture and is planning for the long term, and in the CB and LB cases we seen this window I think he is willing to wait and give Gomez the opportunity when he's ready.

However the fact I can't find anything in terms of a return date, we can all go back to losing our collective minds over our defensive options! ;)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #289: Sep 03, 2016 04:40:34 pm
      The ever so reliable PhysioRoom.com (apologies, but it is very hard to find anything even close to a return date for Joe) had him due to return in approximately 4 weeks as of the 11th of August, but the latest update reads "No return date". No recent updates from the lad himself on the equally as reliable social media accounts.

The thing about it is even when he does return to first team training, he's missed a year of football, it is going to take quite a while for him get back up to speed. Look at Ings, playing with the U23's, that's not because Klopp doesn't rate him, it's because he missed 6 months, he's not going to jump straight in to a competitive Premier League match and be hitting 100%. It will be the same and maybe even longer for Joe, but if it means we get the best out of him in the long term then it will be worth it.

I originally came in here to suggest we all need to calm down on the LB situation as the majority of us are guilty of forgetting about Gomez. Klopp is a man who looks at the bigger picture and is planning for the long term, and in the CB and LB cases we seen this window I think he is willing to wait and give Gomez the opportunity when he's ready.

However the fact I can't find anything in terms of a return date, we can all go back to losing our collective minds over our defensive options! ;)

That's a pity, thought he might be back sooner. How unlucky to get that injury so early on. Get well soon Joe!!
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #290: Sep 18, 2016 01:36:15 pm
      At last an update on Gomez:

Joe Gomez fitness update as Liverpool FC defender eyes long awaited return

Teenager should be back in training by late October

Liverpool defender Joe Gomez is around a month away from putting his injury nightmare behind him.

The 19-year-old has endured a torrid time since he ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee playing for England Under-21s last October.

Gomez was close to returning to full training in mid-July when he suffered a major setback after being diagnosed with tendinopathy in his Achilles.

He has been having extensive treatment since with Liverpool reluctant to put a timescale on his comeback as medical staff work to ensure the problem is completely resolved.

However, the hope is that Gomez will be able to finally resume training in mid to late October. By then he will have been sidelined for more than a year so will need a sustained spell working outside at Melwood before he’s considered for selection by Jürgen Klopp.

The Liverpool boss rates Gomez highly and is looking forward to working with him over the coming months and years. The talented teenager’s return to action over the course of this season was one of the reasons why Klopp was reluctant to sign another defender during the summer transfer window.

Gomez’s right knee is now fine and it’s simply a case of getting his Achilles problem sorted before he can look to get his promising career back on track.

The youngster, who can play centre-back or full-back, joined the Reds from Charlton Athletic for an initial fee of £3.5million in June 2015.

He quickly endeared himself to Kopites with his composed displays at the back, clocking up seven appearances before the injury suffered on international duty cruelly wrecked his campaign shortly after Klopp’s appointment.

His last outing for Liverpool was in the 1-1 draw at home to FC Sion in the Europa League on October 1 - some 12 days before he was hurt in an innocuous challenge playing for England Under-21s against Kazakhstan at the Ricoh Arena.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joe-gomez-fitness-update-liverpool-11888173
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #291: Oct 14, 2016 11:24:04 am
      Back to full training this week, hopefully we get to see him soon.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #292: Oct 14, 2016 11:26:45 am
      A full 12 months out. That's gotta be tough to come back from.

I wonder how Klopp is going to use him? He won't be anywhere near the first team this season if Ings is anything to go by.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #293: Oct 14, 2016 11:44:55 am
      A full 12 months out. That's gotta be tough to come back from.

I wonder how Klopp is going to use him? He won't be anywhere near the first team this season if Ings is anything to go by.

Yeah I reckon we won't see him this side of Christmas and after that we'll all it takes is a couple of injuries to our CB's.

It's obviously more difficult for Ings as we don't have European football and only play with 1 forward.

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #294: Oct 14, 2016 12:04:46 pm
      I imagine he will get his confidence back playing with the U-23's, in his proper position as well.

I guess that will force Sakho completely out of the picture as well, if he had a sniff anyway! (no pun intended)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #295: Oct 17, 2016 08:57:48 am
      Read somewhere that he got a standing ovation from all the lads as he walked out at Melwood to train. Class act from the lads.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #296: Oct 20, 2016 11:06:08 am
      According to Joyce Huddersfield are interested in taking him on loan.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #297: Oct 20, 2016 06:06:50 pm
      I think the Huddersfield loan idea is perfect for Joe. We know the level of fitness needed to even get on Klopps bench is phenomenal, let alone what it takes to get on the pitch. It has been over a year since Gomez has kicked a competitive ball, and as we have seen with Ings, returning to training is just another step on a very long road to the first team. I understand the eagerness to get him in as cover at full back but there is no way he should, can or will be rushed back.

If we have the option of letting him get some game time and work his way up to fitness at Huddersfield, a club where we now have excellent communication, I think we would be mad to turn it down. Gomez isn't a player for this year, he's a player for the future, and Klopp's lack of panic in getting another LB shows the belief that is held in him.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this, but for now it is fantastic to have him back among the squad.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #298: Oct 21, 2016 08:58:00 pm
      I think the Huddersfield loan idea is perfect for Joe. We know the level of fitness needed to even get on Klopps bench is phenomenal, let alone what it takes to get on the pitch. It has been over a year since Gomez has kicked a competitive ball

As long as he hasn't had any setbacks and our defence hasn't been decimated with injuries then come January maybe it will be a good idea. 

Isn't he still only 19 or something? 

I don't think Klopp is big on the loan deals but for this kind of situation - this is when it should be used IMO.

Quick Reply