Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166854 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #322: Jan 14, 2017 01:25:11 am
      Based on Klavans display again Saints, I'd give Gomez a chance at CB against the Mancs.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #323: Jan 14, 2017 01:31:12 am
      Based on Klavans display again Saints, I'd give Gomez a chance at CB against the Mancs.

Not for me. If you're going to drop Klavan then we should also drop Sturridge, Lovren, the entire midfield, Firmino etc. because everybody except Karius were terrible. That would be a monumental risk playing Gomez against the Mancs in only his second game in the first team after coming back from a long lay off. The last thing we need is his confidence being shot if he gets destroyed by Ibra.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #324: Jan 14, 2017 01:45:19 am
      Not for me. If you're going to drop Klavan then we should also drop Sturridge, Lovren, the entire midfield, Firmino etc. because everybody except Karius were terrible. That would be a monumental risk playing Gomez against the Mancs in only his second game in the first team after coming back from a long lay off. The last thing we need is his confidence being shot if he gets destroyed by Ibra.

Klavan has been making too many costly mistakes for my liking. What's the difference between playing a player just returning and a player costing us goals?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #325: Jan 14, 2017 02:00:38 am
      Klavan has been making too many costly mistakes for my liking. What's the difference between playing a player just returning and a player costing us goals?

Experience and lacking match fitness. How many top flight games has Gomez had? 4-5? It's more or less like Wenger playing Holding at the start of the season vs us. I wouldn't like to see us risk it vs Utd and would keep Klavan. Wouldn't have complaints if we were home vs a lesser team though.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #326: Jan 14, 2017 02:14:38 am

A player who had a start in the last 18months against one that has 13 goals in 19..what could go wrong? And the difference is that Klavan has the experience at least..and he let a goal against southampton,what were the others? Anyway I hope Matip is fit as i don`t trust neither Klavan or Lovren against Ibrahimovic.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #327: Jan 14, 2017 02:24:14 am

Too many costly mistakes? Which would they be (aside from Southampton & Burnley)?

He's made 1 goal costly mistake from what I can remember since the Burnley game. This is too big of a game to just be throwing anybody in. It's not as though he was great against Plymouth either, he did alright but not enough to warrant being started away to Man United.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #328: Jan 14, 2017 02:39:31 am
      .and he let a goal against southampton,what were the others?

Too many costly mistakes? Which would they be (aside from Southampton & Burnley)?

In just the last 3 games alone he was at fault for the Saints goal, as you know, along with costing us a penalty for stupidly putting his leg in against Sunderland to which Defoe converted the resulting spot kick. Like I say, that's just in the last 3 games! The more he plays the more he makes me think we have another Skrtel on our hands; will have a really good game one week and then cost us over the next few.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #329: Jan 28, 2017 04:48:31 pm
      Thankfully he is young but he was all over the place today. Slow off the mark, awful communication, mistimed headers and missed tackles. Harsh experience for him today.

Felt sorry for Karius that he had to play behind probably the worst defence seen these past couple of years. That is saying something.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #330: Jan 28, 2017 04:54:55 pm
      Thankfully he is young but he was all over the place today. Slow off the mark, awful communication, mistimed headers and missed tackles. Harsh experience for him today.

Felt sorry for Karius that he had to play behind probably the worst defence seen these past couple of years. That is saying something.

Agreed. Mentioned that in the pre-match, quite a gamble throwing those 4 together and in truth I don't think Karius could do too much for their goals. First one looks close to him but I just thought it was one of those excellent deliveries that lands right in the best spot, the defence just can't give a clear header there.

2nd is just 1 v 1 and of course he might pull off a worldie but attacker is massive favourite in my book on those.

On Joe I thought he looked good in spots but terrible in others which is to be expected. A bit of a strange one by Jürgen putting him with probably one of the worst players I've seen for us in Randall and Klavan who is obviously shaken after recent mistakes. Gomez needed a Matip type alongside him to guide him through the game there, even dropping Lucas in alongside him might have worked and would have exposed Lucas' lack of pace less.

Head scratcher that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #331: Jan 28, 2017 05:02:22 pm
      Agreed. Mentioned that in the pre-match, quite a gamble throwing those 4 together and in truth I don't think Karius could do too much for their goals. First one looks close to him but I just thought it was one of those excellent deliveries that lands right in the best spot, the defence just can't give a clear header there.

2nd is just 1 v 1 and of course he might pull off a worldie but attacker is massive favourite in my book on those.

On Joe I thought he looked good in spots but terrible in others which is to be expected. A bit of a strange one by Jürgen putting him with probably one of the worst players I've seen for us in Randall and Klavan who is obviously shaken after recent mistakes. Gomez needed a Matip type alongside him to guide him through the game there, even dropping Lucas in alongside him might have worked and would have exposed Lucas' lack of pace less.

Head scratcher that.

Such was the state of that defence it was a dead cert that we were going to concede a goal or two today irregardless of recent form.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #332: Jun 16, 2017 05:03:15 pm
      Something tells me Klopp has a keen eye on Joe for next season.

Possibly in a LB role?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #333: Jun 16, 2017 06:45:52 pm
      Something tells me Klopp has a keen eye on Joe for next season.

Possibly in a LB role?

Cover for RB and CB, not LB please.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #334: Jun 16, 2017 07:15:40 pm
      Cover for RB and CB, not LB please.

TAA will be cover for RB.

Wasn't Gomez a beast at LB for us before his knee injury?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #335: Jun 16, 2017 07:30:19 pm

Defensively I think he was, but I can see him being worse off that Milner and Clyne offensively.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #336: Jun 16, 2017 08:00:41 pm
      Gomez was starting to get found out at left back from what I can remember. I'd rather we bought a new starter, sold Klavan & had Gomez as 4th choice and start him in some of the lesser league games and cup games.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #337: Jun 16, 2017 08:14:54 pm

he was a beast at CB had a good couple of games at LB, but he's also ALL right foot. its a hindrance
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #338: Jun 17, 2017 03:26:26 am
      Can just see it now...Joe is going to be our back up CB. FSG will spin that he's like a new signing so no money spent on this position.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #339: Jun 28, 2017 02:49:11 pm
      Klopp doesn't see him ready to play many meaningful games yet for LFC.

https://twitter.com/anfieldhq/status/880059891242717184
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #340: Jun 28, 2017 02:59:01 pm
      Klopp doesn't see him ready to play many meaningful games yet for LFC.

https://twitter.com/anfieldhq/status/880059891242717184

If true, I'd be surprised. I thought he would make a good 4th choice.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #341: Jun 29, 2017 02:22:54 pm
      If we dont buy any decent center back i hope Joe could be a starter. He really showed some quality before he got injured and i hope he did not lost any of that, i hope he will step up and show what he can do.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #342: Jun 29, 2017 03:54:33 pm

Getting regular game time will be good for Joe, its what he needs now, playing him in the U23's or only cup games will hamper his progress imo, he needs to be put through the mill so he can learn his trade, its the only way to learn, especially in this league, he'll come back a much better more experienced player, stronger more confidant than what you see now, it's a great move not only for him but for the club long term, Jürgen knows what he is doing, so don't be surprised if you see other potentials like Joe being sent out to learn their trade,

Klopp is building, he's building for the future, building a well oiled machine ready to 'conquer the bloody world'

YNWA

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #343: Jun 29, 2017 03:59:34 pm

Not for me. When he played a few first team games at the start of the year amidst a fixture congestion and injury crisis I thought he looked very suspect. Wolves match in particular highlighted some pretty awful communication/understanding that was well off standard for even a 4th choice defender. Definitely needs the game time though even if it isn't for Liverpool at the moment and if Brighton can offer him that then it's ideal.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #344: Jul 01, 2017 03:35:00 pm

Getting regular game time will be good for Joe, its what he needs now, playing him in the U23's or only cup games will hamper his progress imo, he needs to be put through the mill so he can learn his trade, its the only way to learn, especially in this league, he'll come back a much better more experienced player, stronger more confidant than what you see now, it's a great move not only for him but for the club long term, Jürgen knows what he is doing, so don't be surprised if you see other potentials like Joe being sent out to learn their trade,

Klopp is building, he's building for the future, building a well oiled machine ready to 'conquer the bloody world'

YNWA

Couldn't agree more. I think Joe needs to play weekly for a few years before he enters regular squad play for us. It will serve both him and the team better in the long haul. Similarly, as an American I was excited a few months back when Klopps interest in Pulisic hit the web. But the more I thought of it the less excited I was for both sides. Though it would excite me to have an American on my favorite sports club the truth of the matter is at this point in his career is he wouldn't serve much value to the team. And because he wouldn't get onto the pitch it would hamper his development as a player. Our international team is coming along slowly, but in order for us to ever make that next jump we need Christian to get solid playing time. He gets that at Dortmund. If we want Joe to be a contributor he needs to be baptized by fire weekly, and that has to happen elsewhere for a while.   

Quick Reply