Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166730 times
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)
      Jun 20, 2015 12:03:34 pm
      « Last Edit: Jul 19, 2022 01:45:09 pm by RedPuppy »
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #1: Jun 20, 2015 12:06:53 pm
      Welcome :)
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #2: Jun 20, 2015 12:07:04 pm
      BREAKING NEWS

Liverpool sign Joe Gomez from Charlton for £3.5m on a five-year-deal.
      source:skysports.com
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Jun 20, 2015 12:29:57 pm
      Great signing. ... For the future.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Jun 20, 2015 12:33:29 pm
      Happy out. Welcome kid.... although by all accounts your bleeding huge and don't look like a kid.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Jun 20, 2015 12:34:00 pm

Reds complete Joe Gomez transfer

Author: Chris Shaw @shawct

Liverpool FC have today completed the permanent signing of England U19 international Joe Gomez from Charlton Athletic.

The 18-year-old defender has penned a long-term deal with the Reds to seal a switch to Anfield from the Championship side.

Gomez made 24 appearances in all competitions for Charlton last season as he made an assured step up to senior football.

Capable of playing in a central position or at full-back, the Londoner represented England U19s on three occasions during 2014-15.

Upon signing his contract with the club, Gomez told Liverpoolfc.com: "It's a dream come true. It's a bit surreal and it hasn't really hit me yet. But I'm buzzing and just excited to get started.

"The club has got great history and it's a great club, and one that I've always been following from when I was young.

"The style of football and the top players here was somewhere that I wanted to go and get better and learn, and play good football. It was an easy decision."

The youngster follows midfielder James Milner, striker Danny Ings and goalkeeper Adam Bogdan in agreeing summer moves to Liverpool.

Gomez: I'm buzzing to be at Liverpool

Author: Chris Shaw @shawct

Joe Gomez exclusively explained why he considers Liverpool the ideal place to continue his rapid development after the defender sealed a permanent switch to Anfield today.

The 18-year-old joins the Reds from Championship outfit Charlton Athletic following a breakthrough season in which the England youth international played 24 senior games.

Once the ink was drying on his contract with the club, Gomez declared the decision to make the move and work under Brendan Rodgers' guidance an easy one.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com, he also outlined his determination to learn from the experienced pros already here and quickly compete for a starting berth.

Joe, welcome to Liverpool FC - how does it feel to have joined the club?

It's a dream come true. It's a bit surreal and it hasn't really hit me yet. But I'm buzzing and just excited to get started.

Talk us through the last couple of days and weeks as this transfer has become a serious prospect...

I've known for a little while now and I've wanted to come here for a while as well. But as it has become more of a reality over the past few days and weeks, I've just been buzzing. I just wanted it to get done.

It sounds like it was an easy decision for you, but did you speak to your family about moving up to Liverpool?

All the close people around me - my mum, my dad, brothers and sisters and all my family - have been really supportive. They knew I really wanted to come here and they have backed me all the way. So it was an easy decision.

It all seems to have happened so fast for you - you only celebrated your 18th birthday last month and now you're at Liverpool...

The whole season really, from pre-season and getting to play there, then having the opportunity to come somewhere like this, has been amazing. I'm really enjoying it and I hope it keeps going from here.

The club has been following you for a while, tracking your progress. That must give you confidence right from the off in terms of settling in here?

Definitely. It's flattering to know that a massive club like this were interested in me. That was one of the main things - I knew how great the club is. That's why it was an easy decision to come here. To know that a place like this was interested and knew about me was great.

What were the key factors then, because there was a lot of speculation about clubs at home and abroad being interested in you - why was it Liverpool that you wanted to come to?

The club has got great history and it's a great club, and one that I've always been following from when I was young. The style of football and the top players here was somewhere that I wanted to go and get better and learn, and play good football. It was an easy decision.

Brendan Rodgers has regularly given chances to young players since he has been the manager. Was that a factor in your decision as well?

Yes, 100 per cent. Being a young player, I know that opportunities can be slim sometimes. But under a manager like Brendan, it speaks for itself. That's why I was really keen to come here and play under him.

Have you had a chance to speak to him yet?

I have met him once and he seemed really nice. It made me want to come here even more really. He just told me how good it is here and how he thinks he can help me get better, the opportunities I would get - things that would make me want to come to Liverpool.

For any fans who may not have seen you play, tell us what your skills are as a defender and what kind of player you are...

I like to think I'm a ball-playing centre-back who likes to be physical and has got a bit of pace. I'd like to say I'm a leader as well.

You're comfortable at centre-back and right-back. Have you got a preference and where do you see yourself in the long-term?

I made my debut and started playing at first last season at right-back. I really enjoyed it there because I like to get forward. But I definitely see myself as a centre-back, I feel more comfortable there and enjoy it there. So in the long-term, hopefully centre-back.

You have cited Rio Ferdinand as someone you have watched as a youngster. Have you tried to model yourself on that kind of ball-playing defender?

Definitely, he has been a great model. But just generally good defenders; coming up in that era, Jamie Carragher and even further back, Sami Hyypia. The history here speaks for itself.

You're stepping up from the Championship to the Premier League, after making 24 appearances last season. Do you think the competitive nature of that league will help you make the step up?

Yes, hopefully. The Championship has been a key part of my development; the physical aspect and how competitive it is has really helped me. I know the Premier League is obviously a step up but hopefully I can take it in my stride. I know the tempo and the aggression might be a bit higher, but I'm ready to learn and I'm sure training with quality players at Liverpool now is only going to help me get better. So I'm looking forward to it.

You'll need time to settle at a new club, of course, but do you think you're ready to compete for a place straight away?

Definitely, that's my aim. I want to come in and challenge and be involved. But I know that there's top-quality players and the centre-backs and defenders already here are great. I'd like to come in, do my best and learn from them.

There's plenty of experience in the Liverpool defensive ranks at the moment, in the likes of Kolo Toure and Martin Skrtel. What are you looking to learn from them?

They have had great careers. I'll be looking at them to get tips and learn from them about defending and being a defender. I'll just take it all on board. I'm willing to learn.

Have you had chance to allow yourself to think what it's going to be like when you step out at Anfield for the first time?

I can imagine how great the Kop is but I don't think anything would compare to actually doing it. That's something I look forward to, definitely.

Finally, what are your short-term aims and long-term ambitions at Liverpool?

To get involved in the team and challenge for a place. And make my debut as soon as possible. Long-term, to be a key part of the team and win trophies.

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/187360-gomez-i-m-buzzing-to-be-at-liverpool

Welcome to the club Joe, hopefully you become a success. I don't expect him to feature for the first team this season but will probably see him play regularly on loan at a Championship club.

HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #6: Jun 20, 2015 12:34:12 pm
      Welcome Joe  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #7: Jun 20, 2015 12:34:25 pm
      Beat me to it Skyline :D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #8: Jun 20, 2015 12:35:52 pm

Merged your topic with this one.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: Jun 20, 2015 12:38:16 pm
      Welcome home Joe YNWA

Work hard :)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Jun 20, 2015 12:40:28 pm
      Welcome to lfc Joe
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Jun 20, 2015 12:42:13 pm
      Young lad, wants to learn, seems to have his head screwed on.

Not going to knock him just because as a club we sign an awful lot of "prospects".

Hope he gets a chance to prove himself and challenge for a starting spot.

Good luck!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Jun 20, 2015 12:48:30 pm
      Look forward to seeing how Joe progresses. We must continue to work hard and invest in youth as well as give them every opportunity they deserve.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #13: Jun 20, 2015 12:49:37 pm
      WHO IS JOE GOMEZ?

A few of you will be asking... so we put a guide together on the young talent, who has the potential to succeed where other young players have failed.

Read the lowdown here http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15117/9889615/who-is-joe-gomez-we-profile-the-charlton-starlet-set-to-join-liverpool
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14: Jun 20, 2015 12:58:30 pm
      Good signing this I think.

I think we'll see this lad play in his first season, if he's as good as they say.

End of the line here for Manquillo?
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #15: Jun 20, 2015 01:01:54 pm
      Good signing this I think.

I think we'll see this lad play in his first season, if he's as good as they say.

End of the line here for Manquillo?
      I dont know where was the start for Manquillo....
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16: Jun 20, 2015 01:16:10 pm
       xxxxx:action-smiley-065: Joe
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #17: Jun 20, 2015 01:25:15 pm

Indeed. An no leaning on things, maybe times are changing.

Excited to see what this kid can do.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18: Jun 20, 2015 01:27:09 pm
      Welcome to the club Joe, cracking first interview too lad well said.

Hopeful this lad can make the first team relatively quickly but I've been hopeful with the likes of Coates and Ilori too so, time will tell I guess.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #19: Jun 20, 2015 01:32:56 pm
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Jun 20, 2015 01:35:14 pm
      Welcome to the club, Joe! All the best lad.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #21: Jun 20, 2015 02:06:26 pm
      Happy to have the lad here hopefully people don't take their frustrations with the transfer policy out on this lad though. With good coaching the sky is the limit for him and that's why I'm a bit concerned for him we don't seem to do any coaching defensively. Oh well hopefully this transfer works out.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #22: Jun 20, 2015 02:14:45 pm
      Welcome to LIVERPOOL FC Joe
      YNWA

Quick Reply