Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166750 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #23: Jun 20, 2015 02:16:10 pm
      Welcome Joey lad.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Jun 20, 2015 02:18:11 pm
      Saying all the right things respectfully. Clearly doesn't have Aidy Ward as an agent.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25: Jun 20, 2015 03:09:34 pm
      Welcome Joe!  ynwa
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #26: Jun 20, 2015 03:23:02 pm
      Nice to see so much positivity about this lad signing. I don't know much at all about, so keeping an open mind on Gomez.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #27: Jun 20, 2015 07:55:30 pm
      Welcome Joe, to the best Club on the planet! From what I've read, and from what others have said about you, you will fit right in here. Work hard, keep learning, always give 100%, respect the club, the manager and the supporters and those same supporters will support you through thick and thin.

LFCexiled
      Reply #28: Jun 20, 2015 09:04:43 pm
      Yo, Joe.

YNWA sonny jim me laddo.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #29: Jun 20, 2015 09:16:47 pm
      Welcome to Liverpool Football Club Joe, I'm looking forward to seeing you play.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #30: Jun 20, 2015 09:20:45 pm
      welcome, hope to see you play for us in 5 years time...if you're still around
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Jun 21, 2015 12:17:41 am
      Great for the lad but pointless signing IMO, not even going to play. Will be loaned out for a few seasons and then sold.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #32: Jun 21, 2015 12:06:14 pm
      Some footage of him against Fulham. He's playing at RB in this game and he looks a hell of a lot more competant than Glen Johnson.
      Gomez
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #33: Jun 21, 2015 12:10:17 pm
      One of my work collegues and best mates is a massive Charlton fan

He thinks we have got a massive bargain with Gomez - getting him now before he really does burst onto the scene is very good deal

Says he is a bit of a mix of the touch and ability of Agger with the power of Campbell - this kid really has the potential to be a top player.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #34: Jun 21, 2015 01:39:54 pm
      Great for the lad but pointless signing IMO, not even going to play. Will be loaned out for a few seasons and then sold.

When you put it like that I have to say I'm glad I don't live in such a negative mindset, Jesus.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #35: Jun 21, 2015 07:57:08 pm
      When you put it like that I have to say I'm glad I don't live in such a negative mindset, Jesus.

Come off it mate, when was the last youngster we signed actually any sort of success with us under Rodgers? We spend out for them but then ship them out. We need to be concentrating on getting a first team sorted to get some stability, not wasting money on players who quite frankly, will follow suit of Illori.

I might be wrong, and it's not me having a negative mindset or however you want to put it, it's a case of seeing no previous signs to suggest this will be any different. A step up from Charlton is massive. I might be wrong, I hope I will be wrong and will be the first to hold my hands up if I am wrong, but I don't think I will be.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #36: Jun 21, 2015 08:13:57 pm
      Come off it mate, when was the last youngster we signed actually any sort of success with us under Rodgers? We spend out for them but then ship them out. We need to be concentrating on getting a first team sorted to get some stability, not wasting money on players who quite frankly, will follow suit of Illori.

I might be wrong, and it's not me having a negative mindset or however you want to put it, it's a case of seeing no previous signs to suggest this will be any different. A step up from Charlton is massive. I might be wrong, I hope I will be wrong and will be the first to hold my hands up if I am wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Well they weren't signed by Brendan or under Brendan, but the lad Gomez is being brought into the squad in a very similar fashion to the way Sterling and Ibe were. Neither player had any first team experience at all before Brendan arrived, and both have blossomed. I'm not saying for one minute Gomez will do anywhere near so well, but we do have one or two examples recently which demonstrate that dismissing the lad or the signing before he's even kicked a ball is a bit premature.       

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #37: Jun 21, 2015 08:37:13 pm
      Gomez is being brought into the squad in a very similar fashion to the way Sterling and Ibe were. Neither player had any first team experience at all before Brendan arrived, and both have blossomed.

It isn't similar at all, Ibe came as a 16 year old and was playing in the under 18's and Sterling came as a 15 year old and played in the youth team at the time so both were pretty much developed through the clubs system. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38: Jun 21, 2015 09:05:33 pm
      It isn't similar at all, Ibe came as a 16 year old and was playing in the under 18's and Sterling came as a 15 year old and played in the youth team at the time so both were pretty much developed through the clubs system. 

Couldn't agree more and using players signed outside of the current system/regime to defend the current system seems illogical to me. I, like you, hope that Gomez comes in and is given plenty of time in the League Cup and Europa League, then if he proves his worth is given a shot (in short bursts) in the first team. It would be great to watch another young lad develop properly with us and actually see a kid develop into a proper first team player.

Unfortunately outside of Sterling (who let's be fair is a £50m player) and Ibe (who looks to be following in his footsteps), Brendan hasn't given the chances to young lads that you might expect for one lauded as this great youth developer. I would have liked to have seen Rossiter get a few more chances, or Teixeira pushed forward but they've been kept on the periphery. Now the argument can and probably will be made that they're not good enough yet, but if they're not given the chances while others are failing then they probably never will be good enough.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #39: Jun 21, 2015 09:15:37 pm

No mate, I mean "similar" in the sense that both players were much like Gomez, pretty much unknown quantities. Whilst I get 100% peoples frustrations with the owners and their reluctance to regularly buy ready made stars for the first team, I do think it is important that until they sell up the club continues to invest in the future. Yes for sure for every Sterling there are ten Pacheco's or Luis Alberto's, but when one does come through it makes the punts worth it.

Equally it only seems sensible to me that while we do actually have a manager who is committed to giving young players an opportunity and developing them, that we feed him some raw material. Had we had many other managers in charge for instance I'd be very surprised if the likes of Sterling or Ibe would have broken through as they have. Time and again Brendan has shown himself ready and willing to take a chance on a kid, and although many don't want him to continue as manager I wouldn't be surprised if he does keep his job if we don't start to see more of the better youngsters opting for Anfield over some other clubs.

As I said before, you only have to look at the ages of the players of the other big clubs to see the difference. No doubt some clever statistical person with lots of spare time on their hands will put up an "average age" league tale or something. That won't demonstrate it properly obviously, but it's fairly clear that boss does want to give the young guys a go. That said, if Gomez ISN'T going to get into the team very often, then in the short term it makes perfect sense to loan him out somehwere where he can get game time. I think he's only ever played 21 games or something daft.

Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #40: Jun 22, 2015 03:58:48 am
      Seems to have a good appetite for the game (which is one of the most important characteristics at his age) and is genuinely delighted to be here, having allegedly rejected other big clubs. Welcome, Joe!
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #41: Jun 22, 2015 07:18:52 am

How about Can ?

What we are doing is no different to a lot of clubs

All clubs will snap up youngsters in the hope that they will flourish - Rafa did it , GH did it - not many succeed but its worth it for the ones that do succeed

Thats the way youngsters develop - clubs buy them then loan them to clubs where they think they will develop and if they work out then great - if not then we sell them on for a small profit. Its no differnt to any other club.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #42: Jun 22, 2015 12:28:10 pm
      lets hope for his sake its not another one to add to our ever growing list of defenders that dont get a game, wish him all the best and hope he proves his worth and stays and plays
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #43: Jun 22, 2015 02:08:48 pm
      Couldn't agree more and using players signed outside of the current system/regime to defend the current system seems illogical to me. I, like you, hope that Gomez comes in and is given plenty of time in the League Cup and Europa League, then if he proves his worth is given a shot (in short bursts) in the first team. It would be great to watch another young lad develop properly with us and actually see a kid develop into a proper first team player.

Unfortunately outside of Sterling (who let's be fair is a £50m player) and Ibe (who looks to be following in his footsteps), Brendan hasn't given the chances to young lads that you might expect for one lauded as this great youth developer. I would have liked to have seen Rossiter get a few more chances, or Teixeira pushed forward but they've been kept on the periphery. Now the argument can and probably will be made that they're not good enough yet, but if they're not given the chances while others are failing then they probably never will be good enough.

The other argument could be that in two of Brendan's seasons the conditions weren't there to blood some more youngsters Luke.

The season we were chasing the league wasn't the time for it as we needed our best settles side to keep that run going.

Last season he was under so much pressure that he was unlikely to take a chance even though it might have worked out for him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #44: Jun 22, 2015 02:36:58 pm
      Welcome to the club, Joe. Best of luck.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #45: Jun 22, 2015 02:48:27 pm
      The other argument could be that in two of Brendan's seasons the conditions weren't there to blood some more youngsters Luke.

The season we were chasing the league wasn't the time for it as we needed our best settles side to keep that run going.

Last season he was under so much pressure that he was unlikely to take a chance even though it might have worked out for him.

Mate there's always reasons not to use youth, if you want to be recognised as a manager who gives youth a chance then you need to do more than just use them when you're given no other choice, which in my opinion was the case in his first season. Our squad was so thin at that point there were no other options, after that Sterling became a simple decision.

We'll get another chance to see if youth is given a chance this season because I believe Ilori is ready for the step up and with Gomez coming in then surely one of them must be retained for first team opportunities. I get the feeling that the Europa League will be used as a youth development exercise early on and again rather than lauding Brendan for this I'll know that it is simply to avoid using our first team players and hindering our league progress, which I agree with. What I don't agree with is giving the man the title of great youth developer based on almost Sterling alone.

Quick Reply